Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast
Results 176 to 200 of 325
  1. #176
    Thailand Expat
    Wasp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Last Online
    12-09-2017 @ 03:44 AM
    Posts
    2,022

    Unhappy

    .
    .
    Thank you Fatone .


    Bankao ---

    You are right of course --- 2 metres just to be erring into safe territory is a decision of profound wisdom oh Master of Wat/Slaughterhouse BD.
    And if you have space with which to play with which then it's the path of erudition .

    But if one is constrained within a narrow plot then a house 9 metres wide becomes considerably different from one of 8 metres width.
    It's approximately an extra metre.

    I was thinking to take the wall 1.5 metres from the boundary and use only opaque frosted glass along that side .
    No vision intrusion as the locals go about their heavy-duty lethargy.





    Wasp
    .
    Last edited by Wasp; 07-10-2014 at 03:05 PM.

  2. #177
    Member
    bankao dreamer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Last Online
    27-07-2016 @ 12:09 AM
    Location
    Spain
    Posts
    887
    ^
    Dear Wasp
    Forgive my hasty post i should have made it clear i meant 2 german shepherd's to keep the inspector at bay.
    It can be a little frustrating with the interpretation of regulations over here. I am pretty sure our house is a tad close to the rice field at the back. But there is bugger all i can do now. When they were positioning the house i said isn't that a bit close especially when the rear rooms and balcony are added. No ploblem mai ben rai i was told. Now i just ignore it.
    SCROTUM PASS ME PISTOL

  3. #178
    Member BKKBILL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Online
    15-10-2017 @ 10:10 AM
    Location
    Mae Taeng, Chiang Mai
    Posts
    430
    Waspy,

    It would probably be fine if windows were non-opening but and that is a big but you really should be asking the powers that be. Especially now that your plot is on the main road and not next to a rice paddy. Usually there is never a problem with this regulations unless someone complains.

    I once did a major renovation in BKK without a permit. It cost me a bottle of black label for that transgression, unfortunately things are a-changin.

    Good to see you are feeling better.

  4. #179
    Thailand Expat
    Wasp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Last Online
    12-09-2017 @ 03:44 AM
    Posts
    2,022
    Quote Originally Posted by bankao dreamer View Post
    ^
    Dear Wasp
    our house is a tad close to the rice field at the back.
    How close is " a tad close " ?



    Wops

  5. #180
    Thailand Expat
    Wasp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Last Online
    12-09-2017 @ 03:44 AM
    Posts
    2,022

    Unhappy

    Quote Originally Posted by BKKBILL View Post
    Waspy,
    I once did a major renovation in BKK without a permit. It cost me a bottle of black label for that transgression, unfortunately things are a-changin.

    Good to see you are feeling better.
    I don't feel better really .
    This is supposed to be a nice site full of interesting information and some laughs .

    I opened this Thread again and saw I had 4 stars . Now these stars are just a cause for joking around . It's good of people to make pleasant or amused comments but I don't take the stars seriously .
    I just like that someone saw that I was pissed off with unnecessary comment and must have given me a 5 star vote which took me from 3 to 4 . I open my Thread and see the 4 stars . " That's kind " .

    Open the Thread again and I have 3 stars ..... meaning someone can truly be arsed to go to the Thread and vote 1 star just to bring me down .

    It's not the star . It's not the voting .It's the pettiness of it that makes me a bit peed at these folks . The folks who don't contribute - just wait for an opportunity to be negative .
    The stars truly do not matter to me . I just like that I can get on well with people like you and ootai , Betty , Bankao ,cnx , blue , Koetjeka , Biff and Roobarb and 6kon and Baitong , terp , Fatone , Steveyourreveredone .

    The stars were an opportunity to poke at pals with none ( who now have 5 !! Damn and Blast them . )

    I just shake my head at someone who is so miserable as to be bothered . Doesn't get me . But doesn't cheer me either .



    Wasp
    Last edited by Wasp; 07-10-2014 at 11:47 PM.

  6. #181
    Thailand Expat
    Roobarb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Online
    23-04-2016 @ 12:30 AM
    Location
    UAE
    Posts
    1,617
    Quote Originally Posted by BKKBILL View Post
    Waspy,

    It would probably be fine if windows were non-opening but and that is a big but you really should be asking the powers that be.
    Hello there Wasp old thing.

    I agree with Bill on this. If you were building a house for yourself then it's not such an issue, but this is a house being built specifically to be sold. That means that a purchaser will probably have to go to a bank to finance the purchase and because of that everything should be in order as otherwise the bank might be reluctant to lend on it.

    The main purpose here is to sell the land. The choice is between selling it as an empty building plot, or developing it yourself and sell it as a new built house.

    I can't see that it's going to make much of a difference to a prospective purchaser if the house is 8 or 9 metres wide. Build it at 8 metres wide and use the money saved on the build costs to stick in a decent kitchen and doing the bathrooms well. I reckon that those will be a far greater lure to someone in the market for a new house than the detraction of what the house could have been with an extra metre.

    Perhaps the best idea is to come up with two designs, one 8m wide and one 9m. Talk with the folks who sign off on all this stuff and then go with whatever they suggest.

    Just thinking out loud here - this place is single storey right? What about a solid wall where you need to and then use roof lights/skylights in those areas instead?

  7. #182
    Thailand Expat
    Wasp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Last Online
    12-09-2017 @ 03:44 AM
    Posts
    2,022
    Quote Originally Posted by Roobarb View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by BKKBILL View Post
    Waspy,

    It would probably be fine if windows were non-opening but and that is a big but you really should be asking the powers that be.
    Hello there Wasp old thing.

    I agree with Bill on this. If you were building a house for yourself then it's not such an issue, but this is a house being built specifically to be sold. That means that a purchaser will probably have to go to a bank to finance the purchase and because of that everything should be in order as otherwise the bank might be reluctant to lend on it.

    The main purpose here is to sell the land. The choice is between selling it as an empty building plot, or developing it yourself and sell it as a new built house.

    I can't see that it's going to make much of a difference to a prospective purchaser if the house is 8 or 9 metres wide. Build it at 8 metres wide and use the money saved on the build costs to stick in a decent kitchen and doing the bathrooms well. I reckon that those will be a far greater lure to someone in the market for a new house than the detraction of what the house could have been with an extra metre.

    Perhaps the best idea is to come up with two designs, one 8m wide and one 9m. Talk with the folks who sign off on all this stuff and then go with whatever they suggest.

    Just thinking out loud here - this place is single storey right? What about a solid wall where you need to and then use roof lights/skylights in those areas instead?

    Hello Rooby .

    It's nice to look on Teakdoor and see that it's you . Sensible in brief spells between being nuts .

    I've had a terrible day Roobs . Absolutely terrible . A day when I successfully removed a plumbing section that had been defying everybody . A weird French piece of iron and brass . There was no water flowing behind it and I worked there for an hour .
    Went upstairs where " HORRORS " I cracked a piece of glass that was in a Leadlight window !!
    And went back downstairs to find a flood from that apparatus when nothing had been happening for ages !
    I don't do things like that . I just don't . I'm careful . And when I flicked paint onto a car I just wanted to cry .

    I DON'T DO THOSE THINGS .

    Your comment about the house --- of course makes sense . But I do think that one metre can make a big difference . One metre in width is adding 18 sq metres and there are whole families in Japan living in 22 sq metre apartments !!! I stayed in one . Unbelievably tidy and minimalist . Having a separate room just for sleeping is unimaginably luxurious for those people . So I think 18 extra sq metres is desirable .

    You make sense . BKKBILL makes sense . But it would be interesting to get a ruling on this . If you are the neighbour then what odds does it make to be looking at opaque brick or opaque glass ?

    Could the whole WALL be glass ???? With the weigh carried on steel beams . Or Roman Kings .

    Skylights ? Even clear skylights make me more claustrophobic than an opaque window .

    All just ruminations .

    Or Roobyations .



    thanks



    Wasp
    .
    .
    .How do you fix leadlight windows ? Oh the depression .

    .

  8. #183
    Thailand Expat
    Roobarb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Online
    23-04-2016 @ 12:30 AM
    Location
    UAE
    Posts
    1,617
    It does sound a bit of a tough day Wasp.

    Here's something to, well, it won't take your mind of things but it has tranquil music at least...


  9. #184
    Thailand Expat
    Wasp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Last Online
    12-09-2017 @ 03:44 AM
    Posts
    2,022
    .
    ..... and my knees hurt .





    Wimp

  10. #185
    Thailand Expat
    Roobarb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Online
    23-04-2016 @ 12:30 AM
    Location
    UAE
    Posts
    1,617
    Actually, you know on YouTube you get the column of related clips on the right hand side?

    Well on the lead light fixing one there was a whole bunch of other clips about stained glass windows and the like, all but the fourth one down which seemed a little out of place.

    I'm not exactly sure why it caught my attention?


  11. #186
    Thailand Expat
    Wasp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Last Online
    12-09-2017 @ 03:44 AM
    Posts
    2,022
    Quote Originally Posted by Roobarb View Post

    Here's something to, well, it won't take your mind of things but it has tranquil music at least...



    BLOODY HELL he's a bit flash with that soldering isn't he ?

    How do you solder right on the glass like that ..... even with the copper strips ... and avoid the heat cracking the glass ? Jesuzzzz .


    I'm pooling my unhappiness in beer now .
    " Whitstable Bay Pale Ale " from the Faversham Steam Brewery .
    Quite a cheap beer and it's very delicious . Helps forget land in Issann and cracked leadlight windows , flooded rooms , dappled cars .

    A terrible day .

    Just looked at it again Roobs . He's a smartypants with that soldering iron .




    damn him .



    Woppsled



    My knees still hurt .
    Last edited by Wasp; 08-10-2014 at 02:06 AM.

  12. #187
    Thailand Expat
    Wasp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Last Online
    12-09-2017 @ 03:44 AM
    Posts
    2,022
    ........ and now we have female ladies of the opposite thingy !

    In mud .

    Clashing with Whitstable Bay Pale Ale .



    That doesn't happen every Tuesday .





    W.
    Last edited by Wasp; 08-10-2014 at 02:08 AM.

  13. #188
    Thailand Expat

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:12 AM
    Posts
    35,135
    Good to see you have projects going, Wasp...Even though you had a bad day...

    "Wipe your hand across your mouth, and laugh;

    The worlds revolve like ancient women

    Gathering fuel in vacant lots"...

  14. #189
    Thailand Expat
    Wasp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Last Online
    12-09-2017 @ 03:44 AM
    Posts
    2,022

    Question

    That's an interesting quote BBoy and I do appreciate the thought and encouragement but I don't understand what it's saying .... partly because my mind is a bit depressed while being full of attractive female thingies in mud and Whitstable Bay Pale Ale .

    And my knees are still hurting .

    But thank you for that perplexing thought .




    Waslpsed .

  15. #190
    Thailand Expat
    Wasp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Last Online
    12-09-2017 @ 03:44 AM
    Posts
    2,022
    Anyway why does Fatone go from 3 stars to 4 stars and I go from 4 stars to 3 stars and I haven't built anything yet ?

    But it IS supposed to be loosely a Construction-based site so I have been doing some work during my holiday .

    Blue kindly took Roobarb's plan for me into 3D and I have now taken this on further .... putting in doors in and windows.... in.....it . Innit ?





    Now I wish everyone had Sketchup because you could walk through and around and inside this design .
    Problem is it can only be sent through email ..... unless Roob knows different .... ly.

    It was when I got Rooby's design to this state that I saw I wouldn't want to follow the design though I appreciate the time spent doing it .

    I don't like so many doors .
    If you walk along that corridor to the door on the left it opens to double doors to a cupboard on ITS Left and a door straight ahead to an ensuite.
    Twould drive me nuts .

    Also --- I don't like corridors .
    Claustreefo Closstreyph ...... I don't to be like enclosed like that . Like a ships galley .

    I want to be Free . FREE I tell you . Free to swing cats anytime I want to !!
    I hate the idea of walking along a corridor and someone opens a door and says " Oh " and then you squeeze past each other .

    Unless she's 17.

    And I don't like having 59% of the inside of the house being devoted to sleeping areas and the other 46% being the communal areas .
    If you're building 59% to be sleeping and toilets then you should make another 68% for more communal stuff .



    I'd be a great architect .


    Wasp
    .
    .

    Ibuprofen helped with the knees .
    .
    Last edited by Wasp; 08-10-2014 at 10:28 PM.

  16. #191
    Thailand Expat terp80's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Last Online
    09-06-2017 @ 10:13 AM
    Location
    Chiang Mai - Maryland (US)
    Posts
    1,626

    Smile

    Quote Originally Posted by Wasp
    Now I wish everyone had Sketchup because you could walk through and around and inside this design .
    Problem is it can only be sent through email ..... unless Roob knows different .... ly.
    It was when I had Rooby's design to this state that I saw I wouldn't want to follow the design though I appreciate the time spent doing it .
    For some reason, my architect did not have a program that allowed us to "walk through" the design of the house. I think that is a great feature, and can quickly reveal serious "liveability" and "flow" problems. Think of the feng shui app too. While it is nice to have doors and windows, you can have too many doors. If you think you do, then you probably do. Maybe time to rethink a little.

  17. #192
    Thailand Expat
    Wasp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Last Online
    12-09-2017 @ 03:44 AM
    Posts
    2,022
    Quote Originally Posted by terp80 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Wasp
    Now I wish everyone had Sketchup because you could walk through and around and inside this design .
    Problem is it can only be sent through email ..... unless Roob knows different .... ly.
    It was when I had Rooby's design to this state that I saw I wouldn't want to follow the design though I appreciate the time spent doing it .
    For some reason, my architect did not have a program that allowed us to "walk through" the design of the house. I think that is a great feature, and can quickly reveal serious "liveability" and "flow" problems. Think of the feng shui app too. While it is nice to have doors and windows, you can have too many doors. If you think you do, then you probably do. Maybe time to rethink a little.
    terp.....Have you got SKETCHUP ?

    It's free y'know.

    Rooby did all his planning on it.



    W.
    Last edited by Wasp; 08-10-2014 at 11:41 PM.

  18. #193
    Custom user
    Neverna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Teakdoor forum upgrade office
    Posts
    12,021
    Here's a simple plan with no corridors and not too many doors. A 2-bedroomed bungalow on an external footprint of 10m x 13m. Internal area is approximately 121 square meters.



    It has a semi-open plan dining area (for farangs) at the back, which could be used as an extension of the living area if desired.

    One bedroom has an en-suite bathroom, with the main bathroom (shower, toilet and basin) being accessed from the living room. Bathrooms are about 3.5m2 each.

    It's just an idea of a layout. Room sizes could be adjusted to suit.

  19. #194
    Thailand Expat
    Wasp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Last Online
    12-09-2017 @ 03:44 AM
    Posts
    2,022
    Thank you for taking the time Neverna.

    Problem here is the plot is just 12 metres wide and I'm being told I have to be 2 metres in from a boundary if I'm having windows .

    Which gives me only 8 metres of width where your plan has 10 metres .

    I'll draw this up though and make it 8 metres and see how it looks .

    Thank you .



    Wasp

  20. #195
    Thailand Expat

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:12 AM
    Posts
    35,135
    Quote Originally Posted by Wasp
    That's an interesting quote BBoy and I do appreciate the thought and encouragement but I don't understand what it's saying ....
    Sorry, I`ve always enjoyed that image from Preludes by TS Eliot...

    To me, it means when things aren`t going too well, just have a laugh at them, chill out and have a beer...It has been this way forever...Learn to enjoy it, or, at least, laugh in its face...

  21. #196
    Custom user
    Neverna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Teakdoor forum upgrade office
    Posts
    12,021
    Quote Originally Posted by Wasp View Post
    Thank you for taking the time Neverna.
    Problem here is the plot is just 12 metres wide and I'm being told I have to be 2 metres in from a boundary if I'm having windows . Which gives me only 8 metres of width where your plan has 10 metres .
    How about 9 meters, Wasp? Perhaps you could have windows on three sides of the house (back, front and the left hand side of my plan) and only square glass blocks for light on the other side (right hand side of my plan). The kitchen, dining room, living room and the front bedroom would all have windows. The front bedroom and kitchen would also have the square glass blocks for extra lighting on the right hand side of the house. The en-suite bedroom would only have electric lighting and the glass blocks - and perhaps ventilation holes up high (letting in a bit more light, if allowed by the building regulations). Just a thought.

    Oh, one more thing. Have you thought about solar light tubes? Very modern and very useful. You could use one for the main bathroom and perhaps even the second (en-suite) bedroom.



    Last edited by Neverna; 09-10-2014 at 03:18 AM.

  22. #197
    Thailand Expat
    Wasp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Last Online
    12-09-2017 @ 03:44 AM
    Posts
    2,022

    Arrow

    Quote Originally Posted by BaitongBoy View Post
    To me, it means when things aren`t going too well, just have a laugh at them, chill out and have a beer...It has been this way forever...Learn to enjoy it, or, at least, laugh in its face...
    I don't and can't think like that .
    I can't laugh at something going wrong when I made it go wrong and it's in someone else's house .

    But I do have an avenue of relief . I just think how something else much MUCH worse hasn't happened !
    Broken windows will get fixed but I could have had a flood of water bringing down a ceiling ... and I didn't . So it's a question of scale .
    Once I was driving in Ireland and at a junction I chose Left and some distance down the road drove into an abandoned cart . Damage and money . The normal thing is to regret making the choice of turning Left but then again if I had turned Right maybe I would have driven over a quarry edge !!!

    Better to be positive as you say BB ............ but I'm pissed at myself for even making those mistakes .


    Wasp

  23. #198
    Thailand Expat
    Wasp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Last Online
    12-09-2017 @ 03:44 AM
    Posts
    2,022

    Unhappy

    Neverna;

    How about 9 meters, Wasp? Perhaps you could have windows on three sides of the house (back, front and the left hand side of my plan) and only square glass blocks for light on the other side (right hand side of my plan). The kitchen, dining room, living room and the front bedroom would all have windows. The front bedroom and kitchen would also have the square glass blocks for extra lighting on the right hand side of the house.
    Oh, one more thing. Have you thought about solar light tubes? ]



    Considering we've had friction you're being very helpful Neverna .

    So .... I would love to have a ruling on all of this just for clarity but I don't think there is any one place to get such a ruling .
    And I'm interested because of another house apart from this one .
    For the sake of consideration though ...... how WOULD a window of frosted glass be ruled to be any different from a solid wall ? Sense says to me they are the same .

    ALSO ...... imagine putting up very modern ideas of whole walls made of opaque glass ! Very creative . Very modern . And as non-intrusive as a solid wall would be .
    It's only a thought because I imagine such walls would be one terrific target for the catapults the Thais love so much .

    I mused your 9 metre thought though . My original wish was for one metre setbacks on both sides. Now though I realise that you only get maybe an 80 cm roof overhang in that way. Which isn't much . I may be restricted to 8 metres for reasons of overhangs as well as regulatory strictures.

    I need to draw your plan really and make it 3D before I can properly visualise things .

    And solar light tubes ? Well it looks clever but it's a build cost that I wouldn't want to include . If it became necessary I'd prefer a skylight .
    But commonsense says to me there's no reason for rejecting frosted glass .

    Do orbortors possess commonsense ? I'm sure Bahts could purchase some .



    Wasp

  24. #199
    Thailand Expat

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:12 AM
    Posts
    35,135
    Quote Originally Posted by Wasp
    Better to be positive as you say BB ............ but I'm pissed at myself for even making those mistakes .
    Oh, I hear you loud and clear, Wasp...My thinking is only theory...But I'd have probably broken a few things before I'd calmed down!...Heh...

  25. #200
    Thailand Expat
    Wasp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Last Online
    12-09-2017 @ 03:44 AM
    Posts
    2,022

    Wink

    *
    .

    Well I said I needed to turn Neverna's design into 3D before I could really sense how it would be .

    And here it is .






    If I was doing a house at complete minimal build cost I could use this as it's a straightforward rectangle with simple internal layout .


    But I do think how would I feel living in this layout ..... and I feel it's entirely suitable for Thais . I've been in Thai homes that are pretty much as straightforward as this .
    But for me I have a problem once again with doors . With me sitting in that open area and people stepping out of bedrooms straight into the relaxing area .
    Or walking through this area to get to a bedroom . Or toilet.
    I don't want even to be looking at doors !
    Or people going to the toilet.


    I want the bedrooms away from me ..... and my books ..... and my computer .

    In fact I think I've now settled on a design . It needs a bit of prettifying before I can post it but it'll appear soon .




    WaspDesignsLtd.
    Last edited by Wasp; 09-10-2014 at 11:49 PM.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •