Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    Member

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Online
    31-05-2019 @ 01:56 PM
    Posts
    182

    Raising a wall - help with quantities please?

    I want to raise my neighbouring wall (yes, privacy issues, lots of business in wall building here now).

    The wall's 16 meters long and I need it to raise it 1 meter. I've worked out I will need 400 of those 40x20cm blocks, but when asking my local builder's merchant supplier about how much concrete/sand/shingle, was met with a shrug

    So quick question to any quantity surveyors on here - 16X1m = 400 blocks, how much concrete (it'll need both kinds as will render it), sand, shingle (?) do you think I'll need? Don't want to be stuck with a surplus.

    Thank you

  2. #2
    Thailand Expat
    VocalNeal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 01:16 PM
    Location
    Bangkok
    Posts
    11,218
    Just a simple mater of surfing

    From here I need to find out how much sand and cement i need? - Yahoo! Answers

    The standard I used for many years was the following: 2.5 bags of pure mortar mix and 600 pounds of sand per each 100 blocks you intend to lay. I am assuming you are laying a standard 8 x 8 x 16 inch


    Is what I found on a search. but I know that 1000 bricks uses 6.6 bags of cement and .75 tonnes of sand.


    So if there's 50 bricks roughly per square meter you need 20sm to lay 1000 bricks.
    If a block is 8 x 8 x 16 inch =200x200x400 and you do the math multiply 200 by 400 which is .2x.4=.08 so you divide 20 sm by .08sm = 250 blocks.
    So then we divide 100 by 250 = .4 Then multiply .4 by 6,6 bags =2.64 bags and 750kg of sand divide by .4 = 300kgs or 660lb

    My rough calculation is 2.64 bags cement and 660lb sand

    Conclusion the search estimate of 2.5 bags of cement and 600lb of sand can't be far off, for a 3 part sand to 1 part cement mix.
    This will not be 100% because they are discussing 8" wide blocks but...

    or you could try this?

    Brick, block and mortar calculator.

    And here is the plaster calculator.

    Plastering Calculator
    Better to think inside the pub, than outside the box?
    I apologize if any offence was caused. unless it was intended.
    You people, you think I know feck nothing; I tell you: I know feck all
    Those who cannot change their mind, cannot change anything.

  3. #3
    Thailand Expat Boon Mee's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Online
    22-08-2019 @ 11:50 AM
    Location
    Samui
    Posts
    44,718
    Check out the 2 met tall 425 lineal met long wall I built!

    http://teakdoor.com/construction-in-...mees-wall.html (Boon Mee's Wall)

    Good luck with yours & btw, you'll always have a bit of a surplus if you plan right. More of a pain to keep calling up the sand/gravel/brick vendor when you're running out.

  4. #4
    Mid
    Mid is offline
    Thailand Expat
    Mid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    1,413
    Quote Originally Posted by Boon Mee

    you'll always have a bit of a surplus if you plan right.
    better to be looking at it rather than looking for it .......................

  5. #5
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Last Online
    21-11-2013 @ 03:03 PM
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    5
    Why the shingle? Are you placing a footing? Are the blocks hollow? To fill blocks..about 130blocks to M3.

  6. #6
    Thailand Expat
    Rainfall's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Online
    03-08-2015 @ 10:32 PM
    Posts
    2,492
    Quote Originally Posted by tamsin View Post
    I want to raise my neighbouring wall (yes, privacy issues, lots of business in wall building here now).

    The wall's 16 meters long and I need it to raise it 1 meter. I've worked out I will need 400 of those 40x20cm blocks, but when asking my local builder's merchant supplier about how much concrete/sand/shingle, was met with a shrug

    So quick question to any quantity surveyors on here - 16X1m = 400 blocks, how much concrete (it'll need both kinds as will render it), sand, shingle (?) do you think I'll need? Don't want to be stuck with a surplus.

    Thank you
    Why 400 blocks? 13 of them are 1 sqm x 16 = 208.

  7. #7
    Thailand Expat poorfalang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Last Online
    28-07-2019 @ 04:46 PM
    Location
    in the sticks
    Posts
    1,427
    Quote Originally Posted by Rainfall
    Why 400 blocks? 13 of them are 1 sqm x 16 = 208.
    in my calcs that would be about 187.5 bricks, for a 15 meter long

    same same but different

  8. #8
    Thailand Expat
    VocalNeal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 01:16 PM
    Location
    Bangkok
    Posts
    11,218
    Quote Originally Posted by poorfalang View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Rainfall
    Why 400 blocks? 13 of them are 1 sqm x 16 = 208.
    in my calcs that would be about 187.5 bricks, for a 15 meter long

    same same but different
    I concur at 190, allowing 10mm per block for mortar. The extra height will be 1.050m.

    The calculator I found was for 440mm blocks

  9. #9
    Member

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Online
    31-05-2019 @ 01:56 PM
    Posts
    182
    Quote Originally Posted by Reco View Post
    Why the shingle? Are you placing a footing? Are the blocks hollow? To fill blocks..about 130blocks to M3.
    They use shingle to mix in to make the mortar in these parts

  10. #10
    Thailand Expat Boon Mee's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Online
    22-08-2019 @ 11:50 AM
    Location
    Samui
    Posts
    44,718
    ^
    We want pics!

  11. #11
    Member

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Online
    31-05-2019 @ 01:56 PM
    Posts
    182
    Quote Originally Posted by Rainfall View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tamsin View Post
    I want to raise my neighbouring wall (yes, privacy issues, lots of business in wall building here now).

    The wall's 16 meters long and I need it to raise it 1 meter. I've worked out I will need 400 of those 40x20cm blocks, but when asking my local builder's merchant supplier about how much concrete/sand/shingle, was met with a shrug

    So quick question to any quantity surveyors on here - 16X1m = 400 blocks, how much concrete (it'll need both kinds as will render it), sand, shingle (?) do you think I'll need? Don't want to be stuck with a surplus.

    Thank you
    Why 400 blocks? 13 of them are 1 sqm x 16 = 208.
    I calculated 16 meters = 1600 cms. The standard blocks are 40x20 cms. So 40 blocks long and 5 @ 20cms high = 400 blocks. Isn't it?
    Last edited by tamsin; 13-11-2013 at 05:00 PM.

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:36 AM
    Posts
    437
    Why 400 blocks? 13 of them are 1 sqm x 16 = 208.[/quote]

    Almost correct, there are 12.5 per square metre whcih results in 12.5 x 16 = 200

    I calculated 16 meters = 1600 cms. The standard blocks are 40x20 cms. So 40 blocks long and 5 @ 20cms high = 400 blocks. Isn't it?[/quote]

    again almost right except 40 x 5 = 200 ........not 400

    don't worry we are all guilty fo brain fades occassionally

  13. #13
    Member
    Koetjeka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Last Online
    12-11-2015 @ 02:07 AM
    Location
    Chomphra (Surin province)
    Posts
    462
    Don't forget your cutting loss of ~10%.

  14. #14
    Banned

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Last Online
    03-06-2014 @ 09:01 PM
    Posts
    27,545
    Quote Originally Posted by Boon Mee View Post
    ^
    We want pics!
    uh-huh...I like pics myself.

    That's a different approach.

  15. #15
    Member

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Online
    31-05-2019 @ 01:56 PM
    Posts
    182
    Quote Originally Posted by ootai View Post
    Why 400 blocks? 13 of them are 1 sqm x 16 = 208.
    Almost correct, there are 12.5 per square metre whcih results in 12.5 x 16 = 200

    I calculated 16 meters = 1600 cms. The standard blocks are 40x20 cms. So 40 blocks long and 5 @ 20cms high = 400 blocks. Isn't it?[/quote]

    again almost right except 40 x 5 = 200 ........not 400

    don't worry we are all guilty fo brain fades occassionally[/QUOTE]

    Yeah, not building the Berlin Wall (though would like to ) My convoluted calculation would've taken the wall up to 4.5 meters!

    Thanks to everyone for their replies. 200 then and a sack or two of everything

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •