Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 37
  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Last Online
    21-06-2013 @ 08:42 AM
    Location
    Pattaya
    Posts
    60

    Wood veneers in Thailand

    Hi all,

    Does anyone know where i can go to look at and perhaps buy wood veneers in or around Pattaya?

    I know the theory of how to apply veneers via internet and DIY books but never actually done so, so maybe also a carpenter that does this?

    I can't add attachments yet, but what i have done is design a fireplace surround for my living room. It'll be manly made from wood panelling but i'd like to find a white wood veneer for it if possible.

    Any ideas most welcome

    Thanks

    Dave B

  2. #2
    Lord of Swine
    Necron99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Nahkon Sawon
    Posts
    13,025
    A fireplace.
    In Pattaya.

  3. #3
    Member cymru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Online
    18-12-2013 @ 08:33 PM
    Location
    Pattaya
    Posts
    151
    The best place to buy vaneer in thailand is pacific wood in bangkok. They will send it by post if you know what wood you need. They have a website not sure if they list all the vaneer range on there or not..they sent me 4 catalogs with many different wood types from all over the world....not sure if they would send that to you if you only wanted a few strips....we buy in bulk when we order and have done for many years

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Last Online
    21-06-2013 @ 08:42 AM
    Location
    Pattaya
    Posts
    60
    Quote Originally Posted by Necron99 View Post
    A fireplace.
    In Pattaya.
    Yes. It's the fire place surround i have designed. The top of the mantle piece, the two pillars eaither side, and a top fitting section will perfectly frame a flat screen TV.

    The 'fireplace' itself will have a marble section where the fire should be, but behind a smoked glass door will be hidden the home cinema and DVD units. The hearth will also be marble.

    Would be so much better if i could post attachements/photos. I thought i read it would be after 5 threads i started but i still can't. A picture paints a 100 words as it were.

    Dave

    Dave

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Last Online
    21-06-2013 @ 08:42 AM
    Location
    Pattaya
    Posts
    60
    Quote Originally Posted by cymru
    ....we buy in bulk when we order and have done for many years
    Do YOU do veneer wood jobs if you buy in bulk or carpentry jobs then? If so i could send my plans and maybe get a price?

    regards

    Dave

  6. #6
    Member
    stevefarang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Online
    06-07-2017 @ 01:57 AM
    Location
    Seattle, WA, USA
    Posts
    935
    Quote Originally Posted by rovingdave View Post

    Would be so much better if i could post attachements/photos. I thought i read it would be after 5 threads i started but i still can't. A picture paints a 100 words as it were.

    Dave

    Dave
    You can't post pics from your computer. They have to be on the web somewhere, such as photobucket. You then copy the url, and use img tags afterwards.

    Photobucket will automatically copy the img tags and the url for you as well.

    Hope this helps. Looking forward to seeing the "fireplace" too!
    Steve

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Last Online
    21-06-2013 @ 08:42 AM
    Location
    Pattaya
    Posts
    60
    Quote Originally Posted by stevefarang View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by rovingdave View Post

    Would be so much better if i could post attachements/photos. I thought i read it would be after 5 threads i started but i still can't. A picture paints a 100 words as it were.

    Dave

    Dave
    You can't post pics from your computer. They have to be on the web somewhere, such as photobucket. You then copy the url, and use img tags afterwards.

    Photobucket will automatically copy the img tags and the url for you as well.

    Hope this helps. Looking forward to seeing the "fireplace" too!
    Steve
    OK thanks Steve,

    Last 2 days been hectic as i go home tomorrow so been running around getting things ready. When i'm home and can sit in peace i'll follow one of the tutorials in the Forum. However, it does still say in my profile "you MAY NOT post attachements" ???? doesn't this cover photos?

    Cheers

    Dave

  8. #8
    Lord of Swine
    Necron99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Nahkon Sawon
    Posts
    13,025
    Photos are not attachments.
    No one cane post attachments.
    Photos are hot linked from wherever you host them on the web.

  9. #9
    Thailand Expat
    DrAndy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Last Online
    25-03-2014 @ 05:29 PM
    Location
    yes
    Posts
    32,028
    Quote Originally Posted by rovingdave
    design a fireplace surround for my living room
    as that is a fairly small piece, why not make it in solid wood?

    it would look good in teak or mahogany

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Last Online
    21-06-2013 @ 08:42 AM
    Location
    Pattaya
    Posts
    60
    Quote Originally Posted by DrAndy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by rovingdave
    design a fireplace surround for my living room
    as that is a fairly small piece, why not make it in solid wood?

    it would look good in teak or mahogany
    I agree with the teak if it were in any other room. I have teak panelling in our master bedroom and in the TV room and it looks beautiful.

    But the living room is done out in an Italian style. I have double walled the living room so i could insert arches and different shaped spaces for some statues and ornaments. These are framed with alabaster coving which are painted white and the walls are peach coloured. That's why i was thinking good white wood veneer would suit. Good white wood, with a nice grain, i presume would be hard to get and maybe prohibitively expensive?

    I'll have time day after tomorrow to sit and upload and post photos so you'll see better what i mean.

    Tks

    Dave

  11. #11
    Thailand Expat
    DrAndy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Last Online
    25-03-2014 @ 05:29 PM
    Location
    yes
    Posts
    32,028
    rubber wood is white, not expensive

  12. #12
    Thailand Expat
    DrAndy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Last Online
    25-03-2014 @ 05:29 PM
    Location
    yes
    Posts
    32,028
    Quote Originally Posted by rovingdave
    But the living room is done out in an Italian style. I have double walled the living room so i could insert arches and different shaped spaces for some statues and ornaments. These are framed with alabaster coving which are painted white and the walls are peach coloured. That's why i was thinking good white wood veneer would suit. Good white wood, with a nice grain, i presume would be hard to get and maybe prohibitively expensive?
    blimey, all a bit grand!!

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Last Online
    21-06-2013 @ 08:42 AM
    Location
    Pattaya
    Posts
    60












    Hope this works!

    Can someone tell me if it worked? Sometimes on the company computer it doeasnt allow for external downloads so won't let me see it.

    tks Dave

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Last Online
    21-06-2013 @ 08:42 AM
    Location
    Pattaya
    Posts
    60
    [img]1livingroom-1000_zps60b784cf.jpg Photo by rovingdave | Photobucket[\img]


    hmmm......this brings us to the library i set up on Photobucket. I think i really need to sit down and work this out.

    Dave
    Last edited by rovingdave; 29-05-2013 at 07:54 AM.

  15. #15
    Thailand Expat
    splitlid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Last Online
    21-08-2019 @ 07:52 PM
    Posts
    1,044
    I find that the trouble of making thingy's to fit TV's is that TV's change but the thingy's can't

  16. #16
    Thailand Expat poorfalang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Last Online
    28-07-2019 @ 04:46 PM
    Location
    in the sticks
    Posts
    1,427
    Quote Originally Posted by DrAndy
    it would look good in teak or mahogany
    and where my friend wood i be able to get some mahogany? not for my fireplace but for a new guitar, here in the stikks everyone mahokany, but noone actually know where to find it.

  17. #17
    Thailand Expat
    Humbert's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:47 PM
    Location
    Bangkok
    Posts
    12,306
    We use this company for all of our veneer specification. They are probably the biggest company in Thailand for veneer.

    Siam Woodland

  18. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Last Online
    21-06-2013 @ 08:42 AM
    Location
    Pattaya
    Posts
    60
    Quote Originally Posted by splitlid View Post
    I find that the trouble of making thingy's to fit TV's is that TV's change but the thingy's can't

    I have measured up everything for a 60" TV in place. This is the living room and it's just really my wife and daughter that watches tv in there so it will be the same telly for many,many years to come. 5 or 6 years down the line i'll cross that bridge when i come to it.

    I have a TV room that i'll probably set up a decent projector in with a small bar for me and my mates to watch big sports games and me to watch movies as loud as i want.

    Dave

  19. #19
    Thailand Expat
    Humbert's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:47 PM
    Location
    Bangkok
    Posts
    12,306
    Quote Originally Posted by splitlid View Post
    I find that the trouble of making thingy's to fit TV's is that TV's change but the thingy's can't
    Have to agree with Split. Flat screens are so well designed now that framing them seems pointless. We use a lot of wall mounted LED monitors in our interiors and never frame them like we used to in the past before flatscreens.

  20. #20
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Last Online
    21-06-2013 @ 08:42 AM
    Location
    Pattaya
    Posts
    60
    Quote Originally Posted by Humbert View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by splitlid View Post
    I find that the trouble of making thingy's to fit TV's is that TV's change but the thingy's can't
    Have to agree with Split. Flat screens are so well designed now that framing them seems pointless. We use a lot of wall mounted LED monitors in our interiors and never frame them like we used to in the past before flatscreens.
    Yeah guys i see your point, but wherever i've stayed i've always had or missed a nice fireplace in the living room. Had a proper fire and fireplace when growing up, until i was 12 and i suppose i just equate it with cosiness when sitting with the family.

    Dunno if you can see my pics or i have messed up posting, but i intentionally recessed that part of the wall to have a faux fireplace fitted and figured i'd might as well frame a tv inside it too.

    Dave

  21. #21
    Thailand Expat
    Humbert's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:47 PM
    Location
    Bangkok
    Posts
    12,306
    Quote Originally Posted by rovingdave
    i intentionally recessed that part of the wall to have a faux fireplace fitted and figured i'd might as well frame a tv inside it too.
    Make sure you provide enough support inside the wall to take the weight of the TV. You will have to make an opening that is at least 50mm larger than the TV on all sides so you can lift it off it's bracket. All the inside surfaces will have to be finished as well.

  22. #22
    Lord of Swine
    Necron99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Nahkon Sawon
    Posts
    13,025
    ........

  23. #23
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Last Online
    21-06-2013 @ 08:42 AM
    Location
    Pattaya
    Posts
    60
    Quote Originally Posted by Humbert View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by rovingdave
    i intentionally recessed that part of the wall to have a faux fireplace fitted and figured i'd might as well frame a tv inside it too.
    Make sure you provide enough support inside the wall to take the weight of the TV. You will have to make an opening that is at least 50mm larger than the TV on all sides so you can lift it off it's bracket. All the inside surfaces will have to be finished as well.
    The wall is more than capable for the TV and support. The fireplace itself will not be fixed in position and will sit on thin felt liners. Hearth and fireplace can be slid out whenever necessary. As for the inside finishes, i know i'll have to do that but havn't decided how or what i'll do yet.

    Thanks

    Dave

  24. #24
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Last Online
    21-06-2013 @ 08:42 AM
    Location
    Pattaya
    Posts
    60
    Quote Originally Posted by DrAndy View Post
    rubber wood is white, not expensive

    Good call Doc.

    I've just been reading up on it. I never realised it was a hardwood. In fact i knew little about it.

    I think that may be the way to go.

    Any rubber wood suppliers around Pattaya / Chonburi / Rayong areas? I'd like to go see the wood before buying it as opposed to relying on a builder. If i can get the time, i may build it myself, it's pretty straight forward.

    Thks

    Dave

  25. #25
    Member cymru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Online
    18-12-2013 @ 08:33 PM
    Location
    Pattaya
    Posts
    151
    Quote Originally Posted by rovingdave View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DrAndy View Post
    rubber wood is white, not expensive

    Good call Doc.

    I've just been reading up on it. I never realised it was a hardwood. In fact i knew little about it.

    I think that may be the way to go.

    Any rubber wood suppliers around Pattaya / Chonburi / Rayong areas? I'd like to go see the wood before buying it as opposed to relying on a builder. If i can get the time, i may build it myself, it's pretty straight forward.

    Thks

    Dave
    You can buy it down a bit towards the sukhumvit road opposite the bus stop that goes to bangkok in north pattaya...you will see a shop selling furniture making supplies..is looks like a couple of small shop houses from the front but when they take you out the back there is a big warehouse there.....another option is to use formica, they sell it there...formica has come along way and some of the stuff they have these days is really difficult to tell that it is not real wood..not like the stuff they had in the 70's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •