Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Lord of Swine
    Necron99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Nahkon Sawon
    Posts
    13,025

    Electrical - Earthing help

    Ok, the shack we live in isn't earthed. The usual 2 wires good, three wires
    Yesterday I put a new powerpoint on my balcony, just extending from the existing powerpoint on the other side of the wall.
    These are the only two points where anything important or expensive is plugged in and I want to earth them. while putting the point in I connected a wire earth to earth between them. Is it as simple as buying a grounding rod and connecting it to this 3rd wire?

  2. #2
    Thailand Expat
    BugginOut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Last Online
    26-11-2013 @ 03:43 AM
    Location
    In the hearts of cats.
    Posts
    1,250
    Yes, but FFS be careful!

  3. #3
    Fuck it
    Satonic's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    The city of angels, the great city, the eternal jewel city, the impregnable city of God Indra, etc..
    Posts
    3,113
    Don't you need to run a wire back from the socket to the main electric circuit box and then ground from there?

  4. #4
    Member
    shaggersback's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Last Online
    30-03-2019 @ 07:29 AM
    Location
    Surin
    Posts
    922
    Yep its that ez.
    You may want to check if your hot water system has the ground fitted to an earth spike too.

  5. #5
    disturbance in the Turnip baldrick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:15 PM
    Location
    Heidleberg
    Posts
    21,196
    the earth connection is there to provide a path for the current should a fault inside the equipment cause the chassis/case ( if metal ) to become live - this path will cause a fault current to run which should trip the circuit breaker. This is the old style of protecting life from equipment faults.

    if you are looking to protect peoples lives in your home you should have an Earth Leakage Circuit Breaker installed - and the associated earthing stake and earthing wires

  6. #6
    Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Last Online
    06-03-2013 @ 01:13 AM
    Location
    Chanthaburi
    Posts
    500
    Quote Originally Posted by Necron99
    Is it as simple as buying a grounding rod and connecting it to this 3rd wire?
    Yes, use a different colour wire, preferably green.

    Quote Originally Posted by baldrick
    this path will cause a fault current to run which should trip the circuit breaker.
    This assumes there is one - the fused main switch is prevalent around my area.

    Quote Originally Posted by baldrick
    if you are looking to protect peoples lives in your home you should have an Earth Leakage Circuit Breaker installed - and the associated earthing stake and earthing wires
    Good advice.

    As stated above, if you have an electric wall mounted hot water shower definitely make sure it's earthed. There will be an earth connection inside the unit.

    Sparks flying out of your fillings and hair standing on end whilst showering isn't a good look....
    Last edited by AUSSIE EXPAT; 29-08-2012 at 11:05 AM.

  7. #7
    euston has flown

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Online
    10-06-2016 @ 03:12 AM
    Posts
    6,978
    In principle earthing is as simple as putting a rod into the ground and wiring it up with a green wire, particularly if you are doing for atheistic reasons such as getting rid of mains hum from an hifi. However if you are doing it for safety reasons, it is a little more complex.

    One point you should be careful about is that there are circumstances when having multiple earthing poles for your house can be dangerous. If you have an existing earth pole for your shower or water heater you should use that, in practice the earth for your shower or water heater will be a screw in the wall with the earth wrapped round it. You should also have an RCD breaker protecting the shower and water heater outside the wet area, even if you have such a device built into the shower. Then is arrangement is only safe if the earth resistance of the earthing rod is low enough.... and you need specialist equipment to measure that.

    If you are interested, I can post you some ebook guides to IEE regs and other stuff in the UK, but really you need to find someone who really knows what they are doing and well beyond a few professional sparkies we have/had on TD, I've not come across any in thailand that inspired confidence in their work.

  8. #8
    Lord of Swine
    Necron99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Nahkon Sawon
    Posts
    13,025
    ^
    ^^
    Good points. The shower has an RCD and an earth, I've not looked before because we don't use it.
    At least I think it's an earth. There's a single wire running out the window which disappears into the ground, so I don't know if there's a grounding rod under there or he has just buried the wire. I'll do some digging.

  9. #9
    Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Last Online
    06-03-2013 @ 01:13 AM
    Location
    Chanthaburi
    Posts
    500
    Quote Originally Posted by Necron99
    There's a single wire running out the window which disappears into the ground, so I don't know if there's a grounding rod under there or he has just buried the wire. I'll do some digging.

    Turn the power off first...it might be the active!!!!!

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Last Online
    13-10-2015 @ 03:54 PM
    Posts
    578
    Quote Originally Posted by Necron99 View Post
    ^
    ^^
    Good points. The shower has an RCD and an earth, I've not looked before because we don't use it.
    At least I think it's an earth. There's a single wire running out the window which disappears into the ground, so I don't know if there's a grounding rod under there or he has just buried the wire. I'll do some digging.
    Not coming to visit if you don't use the shower !!!

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •