Results 1 to 23 of 23
  1. #1
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Last Online
    30-03-2017 @ 10:42 AM
    Posts
    13

    How dangerous is Sihanoukville these days?

    If you currently live in SHV or have recently visited can you comment on how dangerous the place is.

    I googled the topic and found lots of horror stories of westerners being assaulted and killed. Not to mention the dodgy police and scamming locals.

    What the latest on SHV? Im keen to hear from long term residents. Have things improved there since 5 or 10 yrs ago when it was considered to be one of the most dangerous places in SE Asia.

  2. #2
    Member
    brisie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Online
    30-03-2017 @ 03:11 AM
    Location
    mekong ice glaciers
    Posts
    864
    Watch your back when riding anywhere in Cambo specially at night and on Sundays. Some drunk is liable to come up your arse at 150KLM in a SUV That's a very common occurrence.

    In the last 2 years traffic has doubled in SHV and there is a lot of new middle class yobbo obnoxious loud rude should have been drowned at birth Chinese tourists there that make your average Pohmy retard in Pattaya or Aussie wanka in Bali look like well mannered angels.

  3. #3
    Fresh Seaman CaptainNemo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:37 PM
    Location
    in t' naughty lass
    Posts
    4,943
    Wherever there is money and poverty side by side, there is danger.

  4. #4
    Thailand Expat
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    18,042

  5. #5
    Thailand Expat
    khmen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:51 AM
    Location
    Discombobulated
    Posts
    2,442
    Dunno what it's like of late as haven't been in a few years, but Snooky was far from the "most dangerous place in SE Asia" 5 or even 10 years ago, it was just a relatively undeveloped beach town with not much going on.

    There were far more dangerous places in SEA back then, as there are now.
    Last edited by khmen; 06-03-2017 at 10:25 PM.

  6. #6
    Thailand Expat
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    18,042
    Quote Originally Posted by khmen View Post
    Dunno what it's like of late as haven't been in a few years, but Snooky was far from the "most dangerous place in SE Asia" 5 or even 10 years ago. There were far more dangerous places then, as there are now.

    Any Euro-Western city.

  7. #7
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 01:04 AM
    Posts
    14
    I've been going to SHV over the last few years (3-4 days per trip) and always had good times. Never once have I been concerned for my safety, other than the odd taxi ride to/from Phnom Penh. In fact, a buddy of mine is seriously considering SHV for retirement. It's a pretty quiet town, IMO.

  8. #8
    Thailand Expat
    Smug Farang Bore's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Last Online
    10-10-2017 @ 04:29 PM
    Posts
    3,862
    It's fine ffs.



    No more dangerous than any other place.

  9. #9
    Thailand Expat
    hick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:44 PM
    Posts
    3,195
    Quote Originally Posted by khmen View Post
    Dunno what it's like of late as haven't been in a few years, but Snooky was far from the "most dangerous place in SE Asia" 5 or even 10 years ago, it was just a relatively undeveloped beach town with not much going on.

    There were far more dangerous places in SEA back then, as there are now.
    +1

    Drove down and back from PP a few times 10 and 12 years ago.

    Most dangerous place...? pish-posh.

  10. #10
    Maker of tiny warriors
    Stinky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Next door to digit
    Posts
    11,162
    SHV is a wonderful place, friendly and warm, you should go there and brag in bars about your wealth and good fortune and you'll be treated with the admiration and the respect you deserve

  11. #11
    Thailand Expat
    Phuketrichard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Last Online
    15-10-2017 @ 02:17 PM
    Location
    Phuket
    Posts
    1,184
    not anymore dangerous than anywhere else at 4 am drunk.
    was last there last summer to visit friends


    BUT why do u think many refer to it as shitsville

  12. #12
    Thailand Expat
    Dragonfly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:40 AM
    Posts
    5,033
    it's kind of safe, when I was there

    - my friend barfined a katoy thinking she was a woman, and had the best sex of his life, despite finding out in the early morning
    - the katoy went into psycho stalking mode, and pursue my friend all over town for the whole trip as we tried to escape him/her
    - saw a guy had his iPhone grabbed by some runner
    - got funny stalking looks by "stalking" locals in a dark street at 11pm next to a very busy street, probably looking to strike at the right time

  13. #13
    Thailand Expat

    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:26 AM
    Posts
    11,308
    Err......" my friend barfined a katoy" .........doesn't fool anyone here, Butters. Man up and have the decency to screw your courage to that sticky place and admit to your louche peccadillos .

    Har, har.

  14. #14
    Thailand Expat cyrille's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Chiang Mai
    Posts
    9,463
    What a huge coincidence that someone out for the night with buttsy accidentally ended up screwing a ladyboy.

  15. #15
    Member
    harrybarracuda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:52 AM
    Posts
    44,576
    Quote Originally Posted by cyrille View Post
    What a huge coincidence that someone out for the night with buttsy accidentally ended up screwing a ladyboy.
    I think you'll find Buttplug is the bender, not the stabber.

  16. #16
    Thailand Expat
    Dragonfly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:40 AM
    Posts
    5,033
    Quote Originally Posted by Seekingasylum View Post
    Err......" my friend barfined a katoy" .........doesn't fool anyone here, Butters. Man up and have the decency to screw your courage to that sticky place and admit to your louche peccadillos .

    Har, har.
    don't be ridiculous, I wanted to barfine the katoy and have him/her for me the whole night, but my friend insisted and didn't believe me, and the katoy saw he was a virgin and wanted to go with him too,

    so not by my own choice

    god, did I laugh the morning after, I proposed a swap but the katoy had already left

  17. #17
    Thailand Expat
    taxexile's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    13,480
    still blowing semen bubbles when you fart dragonfly?


  18. #18
    Thailand Expat
    Scottish Gary's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:17 AM
    Location
    Between The Moon And New York City
    Posts
    1,201
    Quote Originally Posted by surinboy View Post
    If you currently live in SHV or have recently visited can you comment on how dangerous the place is.

    I googled the topic and found lots of horror stories of westerners being assaulted and killed. Not to mention the dodgy police and scamming locals.

    What the latest on SHV? Im keen to hear from long term residents. Have things improved there since 5 or 10 yrs ago when it was considered to be one of the most dangerous places in SE Asia.
    Most of the horror stories come from young paranoid backpackers who are shit scared of their own shadow

  19. #19
    Thailand Expat
    Phuketrichard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Last Online
    15-10-2017 @ 02:17 PM
    Location
    Phuket
    Posts
    1,184
    reading the news, one might think Koh Tao is more dangerous

    SHV does claim more than a few od's and old guys dying

  20. #20
    Thailand Expat
    Scottish Gary's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:17 AM
    Location
    Between The Moon And New York City
    Posts
    1,201
    Quote Originally Posted by Phuketrichard View Post
    reading the news, one might think Koh Tao is more dangerous

    SHV does claim more than a few od's and old guys dying
    Koh Tao is dangerous if your young female and blond with a penchant for short skirts and a tendency to wander alone along the beach late at night

  21. #21
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Last Online
    07-09-2017 @ 05:00 PM
    Posts
    46
    Quote Originally Posted by Scottish Gary View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by surinboy View Post
    If you currently live in SHV or have recently visited can you comment on how dangerous the place is.

    I googled the topic and found lots of horror stories of westerners being assaulted and killed. Not to mention the dodgy police and scamming locals.

    What the latest on SHV? Im keen to hear from long term residents. Have things improved there since 5 or 10 yrs ago when it was considered to be one of the most dangerous places in SE Asia.
    Most of the horror stories come from young paranoid backpackers who are shit scared of their own shadow


    Exactly ! And let's hope that more young paranoid backpackers who are shit scared of their own shadow avoid Sianoukville, we don't need them !

  22. #22
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Last Online
    12-06-2017 @ 10:28 PM
    Posts
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainNemo View Post
    Wherever there is money and poverty side by side, there is danger.
    Amen.

  23. #23
    Member Thedogsbollix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Last Online
    06-09-2017 @ 08:11 AM
    Posts
    694
    AirAsia are now flying direct from KL so that will bring in a few punters, ill go have a look when they fly direct from BKK.

    Just bang ya self up in a top hotel and check the joint out.

    Just ya typical Asian shit hole innit.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •