Results 1 to 22 of 22
  1. #1
    Mid
    Mid is offline
    Thailand Expat
    Mid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    1,413

    Surapong to ask Thaksin to be economics adviser

    Surapong to ask Thaksin to be economics adviser
    BREAKING NEWS


    (BangkokPost.com) - Deputy Prime Minister and Finance Minister Surapong Suebwonglee said he would ask ex-premier Thaksin Shinawatra to be his economics adviser.

    He insisted that it is not against the constitution to do so because this is not an official position.

    Dr Surapong added that Mr Thaksin's experiences as a self-made billionaire has made him an economics expert, and that his knowledge would benefit Thailand greatly.

    He also said that he would like to consult Mr Thaksin on important matters such as currency control measures, which were imposed by the previous government in an attempt to control the appreciation of the baht.

    bangkokpost.com

  2. #2
    Thailand Expat
    sabang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Online
    30-07-2019 @ 03:47 AM
    Location
    BackinOz
    Posts
    30,807
    Meet the new Boss. Same as the old Boss.

  3. #3
    Thailand Expat
    dirtydog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Pattaya Jomtien
    Posts
    58,775
    Doesn't toxin still have to contest a few cases of stuff like tax evasion and minor things like that?

  4. #4
    Thailand Expat
    dirtydog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Pattaya Jomtien
    Posts
    58,775
    Its a bit like putting a drug smuggler in charge of investigations by customs for drug smugglers, hell, suppose it makes sense in a funny kind of way.

  5. #5
    Mid
    Mid is offline
    Thailand Expat
    Mid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    1,413
    here's the Nations take on it ............


    Surapong seeks Thaksin's blessing to lift capital control
    February 28, 2008


    Finance Minister Surapong Suebwonglee on Thursday said he would hold a meeting with former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra in order to seek advice on the economy, including the planned lifting of the 30 per cent capital control.

    The meeting will take place at a time and place deemed convenient by Thaksin, he said.

    "As Thaksin has met with businessmen from around the world, he is seen as one of the most experienced hands about the economy and I want to seek his advice," he said.

    nationmultimedia.com

  6. #6
    Days Work Done! Norton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Roiet
    Posts
    30,009
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtydog
    Its a bit like putting a drug smuggler in charge of investigations by customs for drug smugglers, hell, suppose it makes sense in a funny kind of way.
    Sure does. Best guys to hire to build internet firewalls are good hackers. Want to keep someone from cracking into a bank safe, hire a safe cracker. Sides, I kinda like the idea. Maybe having lived in the UK for a while, he will understand having a few foreigners around to buy land and build houses will bring in some much needed foreign investment.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.

  7. #7
    ding ding ding
    Spin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    12,608
    Quote Originally Posted by Mid
    this is not an official position
    Advising a country on its financial policies sounds pretty official to me.
    Maybe I'm just dumb?

  8. #8
    Mid
    Mid is offline
    Thailand Expat
    Mid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    1,413
    ^

    read again , he's not advising the country .................

  9. #9
    Thailand Expat
    good2bhappy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Last Online
    11-11-2018 @ 05:44 PM
    Location
    Klong Samwa
    Posts
    15,309
    Only a trained poacher can be a great game keeper

  10. #10
    Hansum Man! panama hat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:54 AM
    Location
    Way, Way South of the border now - thank God!
    Posts
    18,588
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtydog View Post
    Doesn't toxin still have to contest a few cases of stuff like tax evasion and minor things like that?
    You think like a white man, kimosabe

  11. #11
    This is not my avatar
    NickA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    11,204
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtydog
    Its a bit like putting a drug smuggler in charge of investigations by customs for drug smugglers, hell, suppose it makes sense in a funny kind of way.
    ....or like having an infamous troll as the admin of an internet forum

  12. #12
    Thailand Expat

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    In a rather cold and dark place
    Posts
    12,823
    I'm not an admin here. Is Smeg?

  13. #13
    RIP
    blackgang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Last Online
    08-07-2010 @ 08:33 PM
    Location
    Phetchabun city
    Posts
    15,471
    Quote Originally Posted by Mid
    Dr Surapong added that Mr Thaksin's experiences as a self-made billionaire has made him an economics expert, and that his knowledge would benefit Thailand greatly.
    That makes no diff. the new PM is under investigation for corruption for the last 4 years aint he.??

    But TOXIN made his start as a Policeman, anybody in any 3 world developing country can also do and have done and continue to do it,

    In mexico I rented an 8 bedroom 5 bath, 3 story ranch house with an acre of gardens, orchards and 2 patios with BBQs, a rifle/gun range and an 6,500 watt aux gen .on 90 hectares of land.
    And the guy also owned an apt. complex and 2 houses in Ensenada.
    OH by the way, he started as a patrolman on the Baja Norte PJE, which is state police and retired well to do as a Capt.

    TOXIN did the same thing only in a country with the corruption and grasft equal to Mexico only 12k miles away on the other side of the shining big water.

    Without his high police/govt connections he would be shit, and with them I would be worse than him.
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtydog
    Doesn't toxin still have to contest a few cases of stuff like tax evasion and minor things like that?

  14. #14
    Thailand Expat Texpat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    In your head
    Posts
    13,014
    Are you aware the new Prime Minister of this fine nation has outstanding felony charges against him?

  15. #15
    RIP
    blackgang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Last Online
    08-07-2010 @ 08:33 PM
    Location
    Phetchabun city
    Posts
    15,471
    Quote Originally Posted by blackgang
    That makes no diff. the new PM is under investigation for corruption for the last 4 years aint he.??
    This is what I heard, and TOXIN also, but they just let it hang, then it will be forgotten and no one gets in trouble, cause accused of is not a prison gig.

    Don't unnerstand the way it works here.
    Be investighted for years and no final decisions if you are a HISO.
    But if you are a drug dealer suspect, then someone points a finger and a cop comes over and pops a cap in your ass and end of story..

  16. #16
    Thailand Expat

    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Last Online
    20-10-2012 @ 04:24 PM
    Posts
    7,959
    With 110 of the countries most experienced politicians banned from holding office for 5 years it leaves a distinct shortage of talent in the new line up.
    It only makes sense therefore and is in the countries best interest to call on advice from the most experienced economic manager around.

    The fact is that Thaksin and the other 109 are barred from holding political office for another four and a half years. And fact is that acting as an economic adviser to the government is not in breach of the law.

    The paranoid hysteria displayed by Thaksins opponents is based on Thaksins widespread support by the majority of Thai citizens rather than any points of law.

    Thaksin is a symbol of hope and greater equality for the countries poor and conversely, a symbol of potential declining financial status for the countries wealthy elite. The wealthy elite minority class in Thailand rule over the majority poor through wealth, power and influence. The division in wealth in Thailand is huge. Thaksins political ideals (which have been adopted by the PPP) threaten to close that wealth gap and give the majority poor a better deal in life through better education and health care etc.. At the same time, a more equitable and fairer Thai society must have some detrimental effect on the opulent lifestyle of the minority wealthy elite. Much like asking the slave owners to give up slavery in the USA back a century or so ago.

    Thaksin is NOT any real political threat to anyone. But his political ideals are a very real threat to the wealthy elite class. The campaign against Thaksin is not based on mere points of law and keeping him out of politics. It is more about the elite trying to destroy the social and political ideals he stands for. THAT, is the underlying agenda behind this debate about Thaksin.

    Unfortunately for the elite ruling class, Thaksins social/political ideals have caught on and the call for a more equitable and fair Thai society is increasingly growing among the poor majority. Democracy hasn't helped the elite ruling classes desire to cling onto their excesses of power either. Thaksin embraced democracy and trounced the opposition repeatedly. This trend is bound to continue now for any political party that is prepared to appeal to the needs of the majority of voters.

    Thaksin is a figure head for social change and as such is and will remain a target for the ruling elite class. Its much more than simple points of law.

  17. #17
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Last Online
    22-07-2010 @ 01:05 PM
    Location
    bangbuathorng
    Posts
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by blackgang View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by blackgang
    That makes no diff. the new PM is under investigation for corruption for the last 4 years aint he.??
    This is what I heard, and TOXIN also, but they just let it hang, then it will be forgotten and no one gets in trouble, cause accused of is not a prison gig.

    Don't unnerstand the way it works here.
    Be investighted for years and no final decisions if you are a HISO.
    But if you are a drug dealer suspect, then someone points a finger and a cop comes over and pops a cap in your ass and end of story..
    "Toxin" eheheheh. Its sounds like his real name "Thaksin" Superb! Ta for the large caps, else i'd have missed it !

  18. #18
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Last Online
    22-07-2010 @ 01:05 PM
    Location
    bangbuathorng
    Posts
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by blackgang View Post

    But TOXIN made his start as a Policeman, anybody in any 3 world developing country can also do and have done and continue to do it,

    In mexico I rented an 8 bedroom 5 bath, 3 story ranch house with an acre of gardens, orchards and 2 patios with BBQs, a rifle/gun range and an 6,500 watt aux gen .on 90 hectares of land.
    And the guy also owned an apt. complex and 2 houses in Ensenada.
    OH by the way, he started as a patrolman on the Baja Norte PJE, which is state police and retired well to do as a Capt.

    TOXIN did the same thing only in a country with the corruption and grasft equal to Mexico only 12k miles away on the other side of the shining big water.
    Oopsy daisy....another 'Toxin' witticism ! Marvellous.

    Two for one ! Wonderful. Twice as nice. I got it the first time, but no harm in repetition.

  19. #19
    RIP
    blackgang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Last Online
    08-07-2010 @ 08:33 PM
    Location
    Phetchabun city
    Posts
    15,471
    Quote Originally Posted by Panda
    The fact is that Thaksin and the other 109 are barred from holding political office for another four and a half years. And fact is that acting as an economic adviser to the government is not in breach of the law.
    So as I understand you Panda, is to let the ones that are under investigation for graft and corruption set in the back out of sight and pull the puppet strings and give the orders and control things, Altho some Like Samak can set in an open chair up front, Correct??
    And that already seems to be the way that they have set it up and is operating and going to continue to.
    Any your idea of not having a watch/guard dog to sleep in front of the chicken house, then you will have a fox and a wolf guard them, very good plan, for the wolf and fox that is, not worth a fuck for the chickens tho.

  20. #20
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Last Online
    22-07-2010 @ 01:05 PM
    Location
    bangbuathorng
    Posts
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by blackgang View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Panda
    The fact is that Thaksin and the other 109 are barred from holding political office for another four and a half years. And fact is that acting as an economic adviser to the government is not in breach of the law.
    So as I understand you Panda, is to let the ones that are under investigation for graft and corruption set in the back out of sight and pull the puppet strings and give the orders and control things, Altho some Like Samak can set in an open chair up front, Correct??
    And that already seems to be the way that they have set it up and is operating and going to continue to.
    Any your idea of not having a watch/guard dog to sleep in front of the chicken house, then you will have a fox and a wolf guard them, very good plan, for the wolf and fox that is, not worth a fuck for the chickens tho.

    But dogs also harrass farm animals. Especially sheep.

    And Thai dogs can eat chicken bones, they are the only dogs in the world who can.

  21. #21
    Days Work Done! Norton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Roiet
    Posts
    30,009
    Quote Originally Posted by Panda
    Thaksin is NOT any real political threat to anyone. But his political ideals are a very real threat to the wealthy elite class. The campaign against Thaksin is not based on mere points of law and keeping him out of politics. It is more about the elite trying to destroy the social and political ideals he stands for. THAT, is the underlying agenda behind this debate about Thaksin.
    The corruption charges Thaksin now faces are just one in the long campaign the wealthy elite, most more corrupt than Thaksin, are using to combat the threat he poses to their economic interests. Their strategy from the beginning was simple. Destroy Thaksin and his party so the status quo of the rich getting richer on the backs of the poor could be maintained. The corruption charges were merely a tactic to achieve this goal. When he didn't resign as they had expected, they followed with plan B, the coup followed by declaring the TRT an illegal political party and disbarment of it's leaders from politics. To administer the coup de grace, a few "minor" constitutional changes were made to ensure a person having Thaksin's popular appeal with the peasants could never again have the power to change the status quo the rich so love.

    Mission accomplished. Well almost. An election was needed to put the politicians who support the rich back in charge. But not to worry, with the government being run by a military supporting the elite, Thaksin living in exile and the TRT disbanded how could the party of the rich possibly lose. Oops, despite the best efforts and much to the surprise of the rich boys, they lost again and then in an act of desperation tried to claim the winners cheated (more than the rich party had) and have the election declared null and void. By now even some of the most ardent Thaksin haters began to realize they had been hoodwinked and led down the garden path by the rich power brokers. In the end all that was accomplished by the rich was Thaksin became more popular and Thailand has suffered 18 months of political and economic stagnation.

    As Panda states so well, the elite severely underestimated the power of the movement to support, not so much Thaksin, but rather the idea that government is for all the people not just a select few.

  22. #22
    Thailand Expat

    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Last Online
    20-10-2012 @ 04:24 PM
    Posts
    7,959
    Nice to see an intelligent post of some substance here as above, rather than the school yard standard of satire and name calling so prevalent of Thaksins detractors. BTW, I just got banned for one week over on TV for daring to argue with the anti Thaksin crowd there. They really are a bunch of morons over there.
    Seems there are a few here too.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •