Results 1 to 22 of 22
  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Last Online
    06-02-2012 @ 11:09 AM
    Posts
    52

    Juggling, Circus Skills, and Magic in Bangkok?

    Does anyone know of any Juggling/Circus Skills/Magic Clubs in Bangkok?
    Other than Penguin, and the odd Thai entertainers that strangely appeared in the middle if Bangkok gogo shows a few years ago, I have not seen or heard of any myself.

    Having been living in Bangok for 17 years, I have never really come across many people into performing magic, jugglers or people into circus skills such as unicycling, etc..

    Since my girlfriend now owns a big restaurant near Tesco Lotus on Rama 4, with a very large open terrace, I am thinking it is a great opportunity to start a Circus Skills (and maybe Magic) Club, probably the first in Bangkok, maybe Thailand? (at least the first run by the Farang community).

    Juggling was a big craze about 15-20 years ago, but I, along with a lot of others found other interests such as drinking in gogo bars ......

    I am looking for some other people to help run it, as well as any people that just want to learn or even come watch for fun.

    Most people don't realize it only takes about 20 minutes to teach 95% of people to juggle Once you learn, you never forget. It's always a good party trick (along with magic) too.

    I have some juggling clubs, rings, juggling balls and a unicycle to get the ball rolling (no pun intended!), and am prepared to buy additional equipment if we get enough interest.

    I also have a very detailed and extensive juggling tutorial video, as well as Coin and Card magic tutorial videos and books.

    I hope this takes off, since apart from being fun and very social, the circus skills are also a chance to do some of that rare thing called exercise

    I'd very much appreciate any information anyone can provide on this subject.

    Please respond on this thread, or PM me if you are interested, or have any relevant information. Thanks

  2. #2
    I am in Jail

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Last Online
    26-06-2015 @ 01:33 AM
    Location
    โรงแรมม่านรูด
    Posts
    4,290
    Apart from the clowns thats running the country the only magic I have seen here is by the military: they seem to make a vast amount of money disappear

  3. #3
    Member
    plorf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Online
    02-07-2014 @ 01:16 PM
    Location
    Beijing, China
    Posts
    997
    Not enough gypsies here for that sort of stuff. But no worries, they got enough thieves of their own.

  4. #4
    Eric
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Last Online
    06-08-2012 @ 11:53 PM
    Location
    Macau
    Posts
    2,231
    just

    hehe

  5. #5
    Member
    Khun Custard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Last Online
    23-08-2017 @ 07:28 PM
    Location
    Not where I want to be
    Posts
    708
    I'd try contacting the organizers of street festival that was held in Bangkok late last year - Beauti Drink International Street Show in Bangkok :: BangkokStreetShow.com they would have all the local contacts.
    I employed a Fillipinio majician for a short time last year - he performed the ultimate disappearing act - he went on emergency leave and never come back!!

  6. #6
    Sprayed On Member
    The Fresh Prince's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Not in the willage
    Posts
    11,684
    I'll ask Ron, my clown friend, if he's interested and pm you his phone number if he is.

  7. #7
    Developing Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Last Online
    12-08-2014 @ 12:20 PM
    Location
    Rama V
    Posts
    1,337
    Google "Clown Eckie"

  8. #8
    Thailand Expat
    Whiteshiva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Last Online
    06-05-2019 @ 08:27 PM
    Location
    Nontaburi
    Posts
    4,632
    I met a chap a few years ago who was teaching juggling (and acrobatics, if I remmeber right) at Fader Joe's school in Klong Toey. The idea was to build confidence amongst the kids, and let them perform at parties, social events etc.

    Sorry I cannot be of more help. Perhaps you could contact the mission in Klong Toey to find out more.
    Any error in tact, fact or spelling is purely due to transmissional errors...

  9. #9
    Displaced Member
    cali kid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Online
    20-03-2012 @ 10:24 AM
    Location
    Chiang mai
    Posts
    1,109
    About 5 years ago i went to this place all the way down Thong Lor if you're coming from Sukhumvit, stick to the left when you come to the bridge that takes you to the Petchburi Intersection as if you were going to make a U-turn, maybe 50 meters past the beggining of the bridge.

    Not a bad little place, dont know what to classify it as, bar, tech most likely a club.

    Anyway there where a few what you might call "circus acts" in the way of acrobats doing shows on a relatively small stage. Juggling, flipping, balancing, show was actually really good.

    Dont remember the name of the place, something in red neon lights.

    Might still be there. Let me know if you find it; i wouldnt mind going again next time I was round BKK.
    "Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one."
    Albert Einstein

  10. #10
    anonymous ant
    tsicar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Last Online
    03-10-2016 @ 11:05 PM
    Location
    isaan/south africa
    Posts
    2,895
    i once tried to explain to a bunch of thais about hypnotism, and that it could be taught, and learned by almost anybody who was interested enough to try.
    every one of them sed i was talking shit, that only a "phi" could do THAT!.
    every thai i ever met would, i think, be easy to hypnotize.
    hell, man, they walk around in a state of media-induced semi hypnosis most of the time.
    if you could get a thai- speaking hypnotist to tour the country, i bet you could make a killing!
    a good magician could do the same.

  11. #11
    DaffyDuck
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by tsicar View Post
    if you could get a thai- speaking hypnotist to tour the country, i bet you could make a killing!
    a good magician could do the same.
    ...or they would get themselves burned at the equivalent of the stake..

  12. #12
    Thailand Expat
    Whiteshiva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Last Online
    06-05-2019 @ 08:27 PM
    Location
    Nontaburi
    Posts
    4,632
    Quote Originally Posted by DaffyDuck View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tsicar View Post
    if you could get a thai- speaking hypnotist to tour the country, i bet you could make a killing!
    a good magician could do the same.
    ...or they would get themselves burned at the equivalent of the stake..
    Possibly - I remember doing a card trick in Malaysia once and some of the locals were terrified - they were convinced I was using 'black magic'......

  13. #13
    Thailand Expat
    sabang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Online
    18-05-2019 @ 07:26 AM
    Location
    BackinOz
    Posts
    30,805
    Make sure you invite scampy.

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Last Online
    06-02-2012 @ 11:09 AM
    Posts
    52
    Thanks guy's that was really helpful.

    BTW I posted in the help wanted section, but I no access when I try to look at it. Whats that all about?
    http://teakdoor.com/classifieds-help...ml#post1115645

  15. #15
    Member
    Phoenix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Last Online
    28-04-2019 @ 10:22 AM
    Posts
    280
    Falang jugglers used to hang out and practice in that park near Khao Sahn Road that overlooks the river. Remember reading an article in the Bangkok post about them. Never been to check it out though so they may be a thing of the recent past

  16. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Last Online
    06-02-2012 @ 11:09 AM
    Posts
    52
    Looks like I'll have to make some time for a trip to Khao San. Only been a couple of times since I lived there 3 month 17 years ago! It's probably change a bit

  17. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Last Online
    06-02-2012 @ 11:09 AM
    Posts
    52
    Anyone here want to juggle or unicycle?

    I like a good joke, but don't want to turn this into a thread about juggling girls, toom any of them already....

  18. #18
    Sprayed On Member
    The Fresh Prince's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Not in the willage
    Posts
    11,684
    I can juggle already. Juggled my way through GCSE's, A Levels and uni without doing a spot of revision and passed all with flying colours. Its a great way to get focus and clear your mind.

  19. #19
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Online
    28-10-2014 @ 02:13 PM
    Posts
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by cyborgx View Post
    Does anyone know of any Juggling/Circus Skills/Magic Clubs in Bangkok?
    Other than Penguin, and the odd Thai entertainers that strangely appeared in the middle if Bangkok gogo shows a few years ago, I have not seen or heard of any myself.

    Having been living in Bangok for 17 years, I have never really come across many people into performing magic, jugglers or people into circus skills such as unicycling, etc..

    Since my girlfriend now owns a big restaurant near Tesco Lotus on Rama 4, with a very large open terrace, I am thinking it is a great opportunity to start a Circus Skills (and maybe Magic) Club, probably the first in Bangkok, maybe Thailand? (at least the first run by the Farang community).

    Juggling was a big craze about 15-20 years ago, but I, along with a lot of others found other interests such as drinking in gogo bars ......

    I am looking for some other people to help run it, as well as any people that just want to learn or even come watch for fun.

    Most people don't realize it only takes about 20 minutes to teach 95% of people to juggle Once you learn, you never forget. It's always a good party trick (along with magic) too.

    I have some juggling clubs, rings, juggling balls and a unicycle to get the ball rolling (no pun intended!), and am prepared to buy additional equipment if we get enough interest.

    I also have a very detailed and extensive juggling tutorial video, as well as Coin and Card magic tutorial videos and books.

    I hope this takes off, since apart from being fun and very social, the circus skills are also a chance to do some of that rare thing called exercise

    I'd very much appreciate any information anyone can provide on this subject.

    Please respond on this thread, or PM me if you are interested, or have any relevant information. Thanks

    Hi,

    My hobby is juggling/unicycling too. I agree not many people do juggle in Thailand at the mo but it would be great to find anyone who wants to share/learn/steal the skills.

    Do u still in BKK? I am in Phuket.

    Tony

  20. #20
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Last Online
    06-02-2012 @ 11:09 AM
    Posts
    52
    Yes, still in Bangkok. Don't ever get to Phuket very much. Perhaps drop me a message next time you come up to Bangkok.

  21. #21
    Newbie
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Last Online
    03-05-2012 @ 05:28 PM
    Posts
    1

    Hello people.

    My name is Rob.

    I moved to Thailand last year from the UK and I was interested to find out if there was anything of a circus scene in Bangkok.

    I used to preform in circuses when I was back in UK when I was younger but haven't lost the touch, just lost the equipment (it's back in UK).

    Anyway, I'd be interested in getting involved in things that are happening if indeed there is any so please let me know if anyone knows of something.

    Thanks,

    Rob.

  22. #22
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Last Online
    14-08-2014 @ 01:11 PM
    Posts
    1

    Magician here!

    Hello There!

    I'm an amateur magician that's been looking to get into it Professionally. I've been in the art for approximately 10 years now.

    I grew up in Bangkok for approx 13 years and have moved to the States and then Singapore. However I'm looking to come back to see how the magic scene is and maybe start performing at venues and for private events.

    Would any of you be able to let me know about the state of performing artists in BKK?

    I would normally cater to Expats, however I do have some fluency in Thai as well and was wondering if this would be a good life choice as I'm between work and unable to understand what I should do with my professional career.

    Thanks in advance!

    Sagar.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •