Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 43
  1. #1
    Member porno frank's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Last Online
    23-02-2018 @ 03:53 PM
    Posts
    140

    Taxis from the airport

    I just wondering about the taxi drivers at the airport because of the scams that go on and what to look out for. Are there any alternatives to using a cab driver.
    Because i want to spend a night in bangkok and rest up for the trip to pattaya on the next day.

  2. #2
    Thailand Expat
    MeMock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Baan Nok Ubon / outback Australia
    Posts
    11,114
    Go to taxi cue, tell them were you are going, get in taxi. Arrive at destination.

    If he doesn't turn the metre on, tell him to, if he continues to refuse then get out. It ain't hard.

  3. #3
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Last Online
    13-05-2013 @ 06:16 PM
    Posts
    41
    Agree with MeMock. I recently got a taxi at the authorized taxi stand and we were several miles down the road before I realized he had neglected to set the meter. When I informed him, he immediately did so and with a grin infoming me he though I wanted a special rate that included tolls. No thanks, just the meter rate please.

  4. #4
    Member
    Khun Custard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Last Online
    23-08-2017 @ 07:28 PM
    Location
    Not where I want to be
    Posts
    708
    ^^ Agree with the above BUT you must insist that you pick the taxi
    Get a new looking one - I travelled to Pattaya once in one that looked 10 years old, had no suspension, no air and the driver insisted on travelling at 140kph in a car that was really only capable of 80kph

    Never had any other problems with BKK taxi's - just ask them if they are from Roiet 1 or 2 and your home!!

  5. #5
    Thailand Expat
    MeMock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Baan Nok Ubon / outback Australia
    Posts
    11,114
    For long distances pick the taxi for sure but for just the hop into town I just go with what ever is on offer, usually the old crappy ones have the most interesting drivers to talk to.

  6. #6
    Banned

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Last Online
    03-06-2014 @ 09:01 PM
    Posts
    27,545
    Quote Originally Posted by MeMock View Post
    For long distances pick the taxi for sure but for just the hop into town I just go with what ever is on offer, usually the old crappy ones have the most interesting drivers to talk to.
    The long distance queue can be an advantage, as one can manage to bargain with the intial toute {official} and the driver. If the price quoted by you seems reasonable, they won't turn away the business.

  7. #7
    Member rickda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Online
    04-04-2013 @ 11:49 PM
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    186
    The simplest way is not to que at arrivals go up 2 floors to departures and ask the taxi's dropping off to take you to BKK they will do on metre as they do not have to go and join the long queue at arrivals. Cheap quick and simple

  8. #8
    Member seamusogin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Last Online
    12-07-2011 @ 10:09 PM
    Location
    songkhla
    Posts
    121
    Quote Originally Posted by rickda View Post
    The simplest way is not to que at arrivals go up 2 floors to departures and ask the taxi's dropping off to take you to BKK they will do on metre as they do not have to go and join the long queue at arrivals. Cheap quick and simple
    Good point well made

  9. #9
    Thailand Expat Bobcock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    15,842
    I always go up to departures, they are usually happy to get a fare back into town and I've never had one trying anything.

    That said, I came in last Monday with a mate and he couldn't be arsed to go up two floors because there was zero queue at the official line.

    He called me later as he'd lost his phone. I still had the slip of paper with the drivers number on it and he was able to retrieve his rather expensive (and pointless) iphone. Lucky I allowed him his request.

  10. #10
    DaffyDuck
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobcock View Post
    He called me later as he'd lost his phone. I still had the slip of paper with the drivers number on it and he was able to retrieve his rather expensive (and pointless) iphone. Lucky I allowed him his request.
    I guess one more reason to take one of the official taxis - you have a record of the driver and car.

    Seriously, I never understood how people lose their phones (iPhones or not), or cameras, or what have you, in a taxi. I've had friends who have lost both cameras and phones (sometimes both) in their taxis, and I am befuddled over how anyone can be that scatterbrained, or stupid, to not return an item to the proper place (i.e. your pocket) after use -- or just have a shoulder slung bag where everything belongs into.

  11. #11
    Thailand Expat
    MeMock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Baan Nok Ubon / outback Australia
    Posts
    11,114
    I am sitting in one at the moment from the airport. So easy and well organised - they have even got cameras set up taking a photo of the driver as well as the passenger(s)

  12. #12
    Member
    The Zapster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Last Online
    13-01-2010 @ 06:18 AM
    Posts
    155
    Quote Originally Posted by DaffyDuck View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobcock View Post
    He called me later as he'd lost his phone. I still had the slip of paper with the drivers number on it and he was able to retrieve his rather expensive (and pointless) iphone. Lucky I allowed him his request.
    I guess one more reason to take one of the official taxis - you have a record of the driver and car.

    Seriously, I never understood how people lose their phones (iPhones or not), or cameras, or what have you, in a taxi. I've had friends who have lost both cameras and phones (sometimes both) in their taxis, and I am befuddled over how anyone can be that scatterbrained, or stupid, to not return an item to the proper place (i.e. your pocket) after use -- or just have a shoulder slung bag where everything belongs into.
    Have you never heard of beer?

  13. #13
    Member
    The Zapster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Last Online
    13-01-2010 @ 06:18 AM
    Posts
    155
    As for alternatives, you can get the airport bus into the city for 150b, or the ordinary buses for 35b, which are probably more hassle that they're worth if you don't know what you're doing.

  14. #14
    I am in Jail
    attaboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Last Online
    11-12-2013 @ 11:30 AM
    Posts
    4,042
    Quote Originally Posted by Khun Custard View Post
    ^^ Agree with the above BUT you must insist that you pick the taxi
    Get a new looking one - I travelled to Pattaya once in one that looked 10 years old, had no suspension, no air and the driver insisted on travelling at 140kph in a car that was really only capable of 80kph

    Never had any other problems with BKK taxi's - just ask them if they are from Roiet 1 or 2 and your home!!
    I took one which had window shades for good reason; no air conditioning. Never again.

  15. #15
    Tonguin for a beer
    Bung's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Online
    25-09-2016 @ 09:58 PM
    Location
    Wat Bung
    Posts
    3,846
    I agree you should look for a newer one, We had one the other day up on the tollway and it was shaking so hard I begged the guy to slow down and I have had a few old bangers myself over the years. It was very close to self destruction. True the old guy driving was a good bloke, I gave him a good tip and told him he really needed to fix it. Not worth getting the crappers when there are new models to have.
    Fahn Cahn's

  16. #16
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Online
    30-03-2015 @ 04:46 PM
    Posts
    3
    Some taxi driver are mad in the rapid way. the first word you have to know in bangkok is Cha cha

  17. #17
    Thailand Expat jandajoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Last Online
    02-11-2016 @ 08:50 AM
    Posts
    19,599
    I remember getting into Swampy at around midnight and grabbing a cab to Banchang, normally a 2 hour trip. This venerable looking cabby grabbed my bag and opened the door for me. It all looked good.

    I then spent 1 hour and 45 minutes in a suspensionless crate traveling at speeds of up to 180km/hr in absolute fear. Fortunately I had some duty free on board and the bottle of Laphroig eased the bruises. Scary as all buggery though.


    just lean on the back of the taxi and see if it bounces back. Suspension is good.

  18. #18
    I am in Jail

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Last Online
    02-04-2010 @ 01:37 AM
    Posts
    1,308
    my offer from the airport to sukhumveit is 200 baht, usually turned down by 4 - 5 taxis until one figures 200 is better than driving back empty... a win -win.

    The actual meter is slightly more but I like watching Thais bargain when they have no bargaining power and see how fixed they are at not cutting a distinguished farang a break

  19. #19
    Thailand Expat jandajoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Last Online
    02-11-2016 @ 08:50 AM
    Posts
    19,599
    Quote Originally Posted by jim1176
    The actual meter is slightly more but I like watching Thais bargain when they have no bargaining power and see how fixed they are at not cutting a distinguished farang a break
    What a fine, distinguished and charitable creature you are.

  20. #20
    R.I.P.
    DrB0b's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNOTOAD
    Posts
    17,158
    Quote Originally Posted by The Zapster View Post
    As for alternatives, you can get the airport bus into the city for 150b, or the ordinary buses for 35b, which are probably more hassle that they're worth if you don't know what you're doing.
    At Don Mueng you can walk over the footbridge to the train station and get into town for 5 baht.

  21. #21
    Banned Muadib's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    HELL
    Posts
    4,774
    When does the new train station at Swampy open???

  22. #22
    Guest Member S Landreth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    left of center
    Posts
    7,765
    ^Skytrain?

    The opening of the high-speed rail link between Suvarnabhumi Airport and inner Bangkok, scheduled for December 5, could be further delayed following this week's strike by railroad workers.

    (Railway link to Suvarnabhumi airport construction deadline to be decided)http://teakdoor.com/thailand-and-asia-news/17210-railway-link-suvarnabhumi-airport-construction-deadline.html

  23. #23
    Thailand Expat Bobcock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    15,842
    Note there was no mention of a year in that headline.

    5th december.......never a chance.

  24. #24
    R.I.P.
    DrB0b's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNOTOAD
    Posts
    17,158
    Quote Originally Posted by Muadib View Post
    When does the new train station at Swampy open???

    As soon as everybody involved has got a new Mercedes and a country house in Chiang Mai province.

  25. #25
    Member
    dantilley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Last Online
    09-04-2019 @ 06:54 PM
    Posts
    534
    Soon you'll have the option of the airport link too at Suvarabhumi. Heard it'll cost 150 Baht a person though - it'll be taxi every time for me if that's the case (unless arriving alone and with not much luggage).

    Could be useful for getting to the airport though if going alone to meet someone arriving. And will be good for people living along the line to get to/from town.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •