Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 55
  1. #1
    Member Henrie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    659

    Bangkok or Singapore

    If you were offered a role in Bangkok and an almost identical role in Singapore paying double the Bangkok salary, where would you base yourself and why?

  2. #2
    Thailand Expat aging one's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:26 AM
    Posts
    14,620
    I would ask Bobcock that, he is the only member I have met that is on a real expat package. It depends so much on the profession as his thread was showing till it drifted off a bit. I am sure there are more and few have left so its only Bob...

    Several other members based in different countries both Asia and beyond will respond. I know a Kiwi that will for sure.

  3. #3
    Thailand Expat cyrille's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Chiang Mai
    Posts
    9,456
    Nobody who genuinely wanted an answer to that question would provide so little detail.

  4. #4
    Member Henrie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    659
    I'm not interested in a lesson on how to start threads thanks.

  5. #5
    Thailand Expat
    Hans Mann's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Online
    01-07-2016 @ 05:52 AM
    Location
    Land of Laughs
    Posts
    5,764
    Work in Singapore, spend weekends in Bangkok.

  6. #6
    En route
    Cujo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:26 AM
    Location
    Reality.
    Posts
    25,830

  7. #7
    Thailand Expat Luigi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    11,460
    You should put more info into the OP.

  8. #8
    Member Henrie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    659
    Quote Originally Posted by Hans Mann View Post
    Work in Singapore, spend weekends in Bangkok.
    Nice idea, especially with Thai Lion hammering prices on the route.

  9. #9
    Thailand Expat
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    18,042
    Neither.

    Decline the offer.

  10. #10
    Member Henrie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    659
    Quote Originally Posted by Cujo View Post
    How many better thread topics have you contributed to the forum this month Cujo? Approximately zero.

    Contributes nothing, and nothing better to do than complain about and try to snuff out threads started by others.

    Real sad.

  11. #11
    Thailand Expat

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Darkside, Pattaya
    Posts
    5,490
    Other than salary what else is included in the respective packages ?

  12. #12
    Thailand Expat
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    60,022
    I suspect, actually I know that the cost of living in Singapore is more than double that of Bangkok. So double salary in Sing would not tempt me.

    Close thread.

  13. #13
    Thailand Expat

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Darkside, Pattaya
    Posts
    5,490
    Quote Originally Posted by kingwilly View Post
    I suspect, actually I know that the cost of living in Singapore is more than double that of Bangkok. So double salary in Sing would not tempt me.

    Close thread.
    if it is double salary +++ it would be ok.

    + housing paid (something cheap there is still BT.130,000 a month).
    + Transport paid
    + etc etc.

  14. #14
    Thailand Expat
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    60,022
    Quote Originally Posted by Fondles

    + housing paid (something cheap there is still BT.130,000 a month).
    + Transport paid
    + etc etc.
    Agreed.

  15. #15
    Thailand Expat
    chassamui's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Bali
    Posts
    11,680
    Quote Originally Posted by aging one View Post
    I would ask Bobcock that, he is the only member I have met that is on a real expat package. It depends so much on the profession as his thread was showing till it drifted off a bit. I am sure there are more and few have left so its only Bob...

    Several other members based in different countries both Asia and beyond will respond. I know a Kiwi that will for sure.
    But Bob is a real person and his dilemma was not a fantasy.

  16. #16
    Thailand Expat
    chassamui's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Bali
    Posts
    11,680
    Intentionally deleted

  17. #17
    Thailand Expat
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    60,022
    Quote Originally Posted by aging one
    he is the only member I have met that is on a real expat package.
    Presumably you have not met very many members then.

  18. #18
    Thailand Expat aging one's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:26 AM
    Posts
    14,620
    Quote Originally Posted by kingwilly
    Presumably you have not met very many members then.
    Quite a few Willy, but not so many recently........ Met Sunsetter last weekend, he seems to be doing quite well. But he has not posted in over a year....

    I went to the Harrow school years ago to meet you at a cricket match. You did not show.. Heard something about sick...

  19. #19
    Thailand Expat

    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:24 AM
    Posts
    11,303
    Singapore every time and if you fancy some breathing space just poodle up to Kuantan or thereabouts for a longish weekend.
    If one has a good employment package based in Singapore then there's no real reason to go anywhere else and certainly there'd be no reason to visit Thailand unless it was to see friends or family.

    The difference? Singapore is protected sex with a civilised companion in a five star hotel, Bangkok is sloppy seconds, barebacked with a crazy whore in a hostel with broken drains.

  20. #20
    Thailand Expat
    Iceman123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Online
    17-10-2017 @ 07:39 PM
    Location
    South Australia
    Posts
    3,441
    Quote Originally Posted by Seekingasylum View Post

    The difference? Singapore is protected sex with a civilised companion in a five star hotel, Bangkok is sloppy seconds, barebacked with a crazy whore in a hostel with broken drains.
    That settles it, Bangers is my choice. The cliff edge is where you will find me. Much more fun!

  21. #21
    Member Henrie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    659
    Quote Originally Posted by thaimeme View Post
    Neither.

    Decline the offer.
    It's not for me. I was asked my opinion on it yesterday and I was curious about those of others.

  22. #22
    Thailand Expat

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Darkside, Pattaya
    Posts
    5,490
    Quote Originally Posted by Seekingasylum View Post
    Singapore every time and if you fancy some breathing space just poodle up to Kuantan or thereabouts for a longish weekend.
    If one has a good employment package based in Singapore then there's no real reason to go anywhere else and certainly there'd be no reason to visit Thailand unless it was to see friends or family.
    Thats the rub though. OP says double salary for singapore with no mention of package.

    Lets say 4k per month salary in BKK so 8k salary in Singapore.

    Bang for buck you are better off in BKK.

    If on the other hand it is double salary with expat perks like housing/transport etc etc well then yes you are better off in singapore.
    Quote Originally Posted by Butterfly View Post
    let me explain simply 100MB != 1GB RAM

  23. #23
    Philippine Expat
    Davis Knowlton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Philippines
    Posts
    16,041
    You simply can't provide any meaningful advice with the limited information available.

  24. #24
    Thailand Expat
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    60,022
    Quote Originally Posted by aging one View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kingwilly
    Presumably you have not met very many members then.
    Quite a few Willy, but not so many recently........ Met Sunsetter last weekend, he seems to be doing quite well. But he has not posted in over a year....

    I went to the Harrow school years ago to meet you at a cricket match. You did not show.. Heard something about sick...
    Bollocks. You didn't look hard enough, Bobcock found me...

  25. #25
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Last Online
    13-10-2016 @ 10:16 AM
    Location
    Thailand
    Posts
    3
    It's so strict in Singapore. Worked there for 2 years and I must say people are well disciplined but the cost of living there is quite high compare to Bangkok. Right now I'm staying in Bangkok and it's way cheaper here so must say Bangkok.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •