Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 55
  1. #26
    Thailand Expat Thai Pom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:22 PM
    Location
    Back in BKK
    Posts
    1,855
    Apart from the normal extras included in a package !! How much do you smoke and drink??

  2. #27
    En route
    Cujo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:54 PM
    Location
    Reality.
    Posts
    25,834
    Quote Originally Posted by Thai Pom View Post
    Apart from the normal extras included in a package !! How much do you smoke and drink??


    Newbie.

  3. #28
    Member
    AndyCap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Last Online
    10-09-2017 @ 01:24 PM
    Posts
    461
    One of the best pieces of advice some 20 odd years ago from an old hand was to become a Singapore PR...kids born here. I've paid into the CPF fund and have top notch health insurance for peanuts.

    I've worked all over Asia, but have always been able to negotiate a part if not all of the salary paid in Singapore...income tax is minimal, paid as in the US at the end of the year, takes 10 minutes on line.

    Biggest mistake I made was getting off the property ladder in Singers, it would cost me a lot not to get a residence there again.

    There is not enough info to give you any real advice, but a green card in Singers leading to PR was the best thing I ever did.

    Anyway...

    Parky

  4. #29
    Sukhumvet
    VocalNeal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 12:57 PM
    Location
    Bangkok
    Posts
    9,787
    I would say it is all about the bottom line. How much after expenses can one squirrel away in both scenarios. If equal, or almost, then chose Bangkok.

  5. #30
    Member
    Nawtier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Last Online
    22-12-2016 @ 09:06 PM
    Posts
    638
    Quote Originally Posted by chassamui View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by aging one View Post
    I would ask Bobcock that, he is the only member I have met that is on a real expat package. It depends so much on the profession as his thread was showing till it drifted off a bit. I am sure there are more and few have left so its only Bob...

    Several other members based in different countries both Asia and beyond will respond. I know a Kiwi that will for sure.
    But Bob is a real person and his dilemma was not a fantasy.
    Bob takes great photos.... ask him for the penis comparison pic in the toilet in Nana. .... hers was bigger .... larf n fuckin larf I did .. he was better looking but

  6. #31
    En route
    Cujo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:54 PM
    Location
    Reality.
    Posts
    25,834
    Henrie is a paramedic.

  7. #32
    Thailand Expat
    beerlaodrinker's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:52 PM
    Location
    vientiane
    Posts
    5,696
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyCap View Post
    One of the best pieces of advice some 20 odd years ago from an old hand was to become a Singapore PR...kids born here. I've paid into the CPF fund and have top notch health insurance for peanuts.

    I've worked all over Asia, but have always been able to negotiate a part if not all of the salary paid in Singapore...income tax is minimal, paid as in the US at the end of the year, takes 10 minutes on line.

    Biggest mistake I made was getting off the property ladder in Singers, it would cost me a lot not to get a residence there again.

    There is not enough info to give you any real advice, but a green card in Singers leading to PR was the best thing I ever did.

    Anyway...

    Parky
    i wonder if expats in Singapore can still roll like that or is it very nationalistic Now? Sounds like you got lucky some 20 years ago Andy. Good deal imho. How long did it take to get pr back then?And can you still get it?

  8. #33
    Member
    AndyCap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Last Online
    10-09-2017 @ 01:24 PM
    Posts
    461
    As far as I can tell it's about the same now, you need a job first, this gets you a green card, once you have this and are paying into the system you can apply for PR status. A lot of my old friends have gone the whole hog and now have Singaporean passports, kids doing National Service, etc.

    I like Singapore, there are some of the best bars anywhere. We're all treated more or less equal here and as a PR I can stay here without visa issues when out of work.

    IMHO there is no comparison between Singapore and BKK, none. I've also lived in BKK with a work permit, etc. Taxed up to the hilt, for what? Singapore is the way to go if your looking to stay here long term.

    Parky

  9. #34
    RUSH HER TODAY
    david44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:38 AM
    Location
    Left Back
    Posts
    9,752
    How about a balance , McDos Bangkok in the week,Singers weekends International Man of Mystery offering Boogie street blow by blow thrills all part of research for a great book?

    P.S Do you require a durable Mike Forman leatherette thatched passport cover?

  10. #35
    Member justme2017's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Last Online
    13-06-2017 @ 02:30 AM
    Posts
    114
    You don't give much information so I will answer based upon what little is there. If you make $10,000 a month or more and somebody doubles that amount move to Singapore. You will have enough and maybe even get ahead on that.

    If for example you make around $5,000 a month and somebody doubles it you still don't have enough to live in Singapore in my opinion. I mean living comfortably and having everything you need. $5,000 a month would be much easier to live on in Bangkok than $10,000 a month would be in Singapore if you like going out and don't want to watch your money all the time.

    So I wouldn't go to Singapore unless I was getting $250K per year. If you double your salary and it comes out to be near that, go for it.

    The condos we were looking at that compare to what we live in Bangkok were around $8,500 a month compared to around $1,500 a month here. We would need to duoble up on the salary to cover that rent before anything else.

  11. #36
    Fresh Seaman CaptainNemo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Last Online
    22-10-2017 @ 08:37 PM
    Location
    in t' naughty lass
    Posts
    4,943
    Quote Originally Posted by Seekingasylum View Post
    The difference? Singapore is protected sex with a civilised companion in a five star hotel, Bangkok is sloppy seconds, barebacked with a crazy whore in a hostel with broken drains.
    Singapore could get very boring very quickly then... best to take Singapore to Bangkok to loosen her up a bit; then take Bangkok to Singapore to smarten her up a bit... you end up with both... tidy but dirty, and dirty but tidy, win win

    ...

    I think it totally depends on what the job is - how interesting, and how it fits into your life plan, and what stage of life you are at. The money is not really a sensible way to filter on this one.

    I mean, would you choose to be a recruitment consultant or accountant in Singapore over being a model photographer or robotic engineer in Bangkok?
    Half the point of leaving the west to go to these exotic countries is to escape the drudgery, there's only so much money you need, but to rent out your soul just a bit more wedge seems to me to be missing the point of life.
    some live to work; some work to live... if you're one of the many who does a job they hate, and just want to make as much as possible to enjoy in your free time, then I guess you follow the money; but if the actual stuff you do every day is more important than how much you make to blow in your free time, then don't.

    If it was me, I'd create a third option... so I agree with Jeff on this.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1F2i0rYMj8

    we are all figments of our own imagination.

  12. #37
    Member justme2017's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Last Online
    13-06-2017 @ 02:30 AM
    Posts
    114
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainNemo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Seekingasylum View Post
    The difference? Singapore is protected sex with a civilised companion in a five star hotel, Bangkok is sloppy seconds, barebacked with a crazy whore in a hostel with broken drains.
    Singapore could get very boring very quickly then... best to take Singapore to Bangkok to loosen her up a bit; then take Bangkok to Singapore to smarten her up a bit... you end up with both... tidy but dirty, and dirty but tidy, win win

    ...

    I think it totally depends on what the job is - how interesting, and how it fits into your life plan, and what stage of life you are at. The money is not really a sensible way to filter on this one.

    I mean, would you choose to be a recruitment consultant or accountant in Singapore over being a model photographer or robotic engineer in Bangkok?
    Half the point of leaving the west to go to these exotic countries is to escape the drudgery, there's only so much money you need, but to rent out your soul just a bit more wedge seems to me to be missing the point of life.
    some live to work; some work to live... if you're one of the many who does a job they hate, and just want to make as much as possible to enjoy in your free time, then I guess you follow the money; but if the actual stuff you do every day is more important than how much you make to blow in your free time, then don't.

    If it was me, I'd create a third option... so I agree with Jeff on this.
    It is true that there is only so much money you need. It is also true that you need a lot more of it in Singapore. Whether it is worth the extra to live in Singapore is a pretty individual thing to say. I prefer Singapore and can't stand Bangkok yet moving to Singapore would be financial suicide.

    For me Bangkok itself is a grind. If by escaping the grind means putting up with horrible traffic and conditions then sure Bangkok wins. I for the life of me don't understand what people love about this place but that is just my opinion.

    What do people do in the day in Bangkok that you can't in Singapore?

  13. #38
    My kind of town
    chitown's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    12,523
    Regardless of the package or money scenario, Bangkok. Singapore is horrible all the way around.

  14. #39
    Thailand Expat
    Airportwo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:08 PM
    Location
    Flat Earth
    Posts
    2,845
    If you were going to take a job in Singapore, housing would have to be part of the package, just too expensive otherwise, though rents have come down in the last year or so as so many expats have left.

  15. #40
    Member justme2017's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Last Online
    13-06-2017 @ 02:30 AM
    Posts
    114
    Quote Originally Posted by Airportwo View Post
    If you were going to take a job in Singapore, housing would have to be part of the package, just too expensive otherwise, though rents have come down in the last year or so as so many expats have left.
    Not really. My partner is on straight contract. In order to move to Singapore he would have to get $20,000 a month. We don't get any package deal whether it is Singapore, Tokyo, London or anywhere else. So the contract price has to simply be high enough to pay everything out of pocket.

    Salary here is $12,000 a month they offered $16,000 to go to Singapore. Gave it some thought had to say no.

  16. #41
    Fresh Seaman CaptainNemo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Last Online
    22-10-2017 @ 08:37 PM
    Location
    in t' naughty lass
    Posts
    4,943
    Quote Originally Posted by justme2017 View Post
    It is true that there is only so much money you need. It is also true that you need a lot more of it in Singapore. Whether it is worth the extra to live in Singapore is a pretty individual thing to say. I prefer Singapore and can't stand Bangkok yet moving to Singapore would be financial suicide.

    For me Bangkok itself is a grind. If by escaping the grind means putting up with horrible traffic and conditions then sure Bangkok wins. I for the life of me don't understand what people love about this place but that is just my opinion.

    What do people do in the day in Bangkok that you can't in Singapore?
    People who like being told what to do, go to Singapore; people who don't, go to BK. ...maybe it's like that joke about where would you be without rules? France. Where would we be with too many rules? Germany. Maybe it's a bit like that.

    It really does depend on what you're going for, dunnit... Singapoo's got more sort of proper jobs for westerner's, whereas Bangkok, is more interested in exploiting us.
    Singapore is more like a business dinner place; Bangkok more of an 18-30 holiday.

    Why is it an either-or? What are you doing there to get $12,000 a month? Is it boring or what? Would $16,000 make it less boring?!
    I guess if the sums don't add up, that does make it easier.
    If there's one you haven't tried, then try that, unless it doesn't bear thinking about.

  17. #42
    Member justme2017's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Last Online
    13-06-2017 @ 02:30 AM
    Posts
    114
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainNemo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by justme2017 View Post
    It is true that there is only so much money you need. It is also true that you need a lot more of it in Singapore. Whether it is worth the extra to live in Singapore is a pretty individual thing to say. I prefer Singapore and can't stand Bangkok yet moving to Singapore would be financial suicide.

    For me Bangkok itself is a grind. If by escaping the grind means putting up with horrible traffic and conditions then sure Bangkok wins. I for the life of me don't understand what people love about this place but that is just my opinion.

    What do people do in the day in Bangkok that you can't in Singapore?
    People who like being told what to do, go to Singapore; people who don't, go to BK. ...maybe it's like that joke about where would you be without rules? France. Where would we be with too many rules? Germany. Maybe it's a bit like that.

    It really does depend on what you're going for, dunnit... Singapoo's got more sort of proper jobs for westerner's, whereas Bangkok, is more interested in exploiting us.
    Singapore is more like a business dinner place; Bangkok more of an 18-30 holiday.

    Why is it an either-or? What are you doing there to get $12,000 a month? Is it boring or what? Would $16,000 make it less boring?!
    I guess if the sums don't add up, that does make it easier.
    If there's one you haven't tried, then try that, unless it doesn't bear thinking about.
    I would prefer to live in Singapore but 16K in Spore wouldn't equal 12K in Bangkok. That is the reason we are still here in Bangkok. 16K would be a fairly big pay decrease over living here. I said 20K is the magic number for our needs. 20K would make life less boring in regards to vacations, fine dining, having a nice car and a few other things.

    It would also mean that we would be able to save at a higher rate than we do now. That is important if you ever want to leave these places. I am not intending to stay long so building that nest egg is paramount.

    I was merely suggesting that it takes 20K in monthly pay in Singapore to replace 12K in Bkk. So it could make sense to move to Singapore if your rate doubled. If you make 3K a month in Bangkok 6K enough won't do it.

    I am a deadbeat and my partner is principal consultant in regards to software development.Not sure how the visa game would work either. The thread was simple about pay rates being doubled.

    I think I gave a pretty solid answer in my OP with no other information other than that to work with. I have explained further in this post why the amount made would depend on if the cost benefit ratio would be worth it. I am at the conclusion that if you don't make around 10K a month it wouldn't be worth moving to Singapore if it was multiplied by 2 because the total sum isn't enough.


    If it is over that any amount pays for the increase of expense.

    As far as which city is better, that wasn't the question.

  18. #43
    Fresh Seaman CaptainNemo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Last Online
    22-10-2017 @ 08:37 PM
    Location
    in t' naughty lass
    Posts
    4,943
    If it's just about money, surely you wouldn't want to build up savings inside Thailand... safer in a UOB account in Singapore whereever you live and work in SEAsia. Can't you work in Thailand then? Not even online?

  19. #44
    Member justme2017's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Last Online
    13-06-2017 @ 02:30 AM
    Posts
    114
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainNemo View Post
    If it's just about money, surely you wouldn't want to build up savings inside Thailand... safer in a UOB account in Singapore whereever you live and work in SEAsia. Can't you work in Thailand then? Not even online?
    What does this have to do with the OP? The OP asked if they got paid double would they move to Singapore. I gave my reasons.

  20. #45
    Fresh Seaman CaptainNemo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Last Online
    22-10-2017 @ 08:37 PM
    Location
    in t' naughty lass
    Posts
    4,943
    You know what, you replied to me, and so I replied back, and you started talking about which was a better city to live in, that wasn't to do with the OP either, was it?
    If you don't like having conversations on forums, then why are you here?!

  21. #46
    Thailand Expat
    Slick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    5,437
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainNemo
    You know what, you replied to me, and so I replied back, and you started talking about which was a better city to live in, that wasn't to do with the OP either, was it?
    If you don't like having conversations on forums, then why are you here?!
    He's clearly from TVF where a common tactic is to go off topic for a bit then flip it like "WHAT HAS THAT GOT TO DO WITH THE OP!!??"

    Makes them feel like they "won" somehow and usually a mod (of the faggot variety) will come and delete shit.

  22. #47
    disturbance in the Turnip baldrick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:32 AM
    Location
    Thermae
    Posts
    18,468
    fcuk sing
    way too overpriced unless you want to live like a local and eat at a food court for 5 SGD chicken and rice

    even as an expat with accom and transport paid for it is still pretty fcuked up

    sing people and their slavish devotion to their media corp overlords is not that much fun

    at least in thai you can buy a car and fcuk off for the weekends

    and as for the OP - it is fcuking smeg and he is just trolling for ammo to use in his lifes work - trying to convince himself his wildcat existence is superior to ant's

  23. #48
    Thailand Expat terry57's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Last Online
    16-10-2017 @ 06:07 PM
    Posts
    25,019
    Quote Originally Posted by justme2017 View Post

    For me Bangkok itself is a grind.

    If by escaping the grind means putting up with horrible traffic and conditions then sure Bangkok wins.

    I for the life of me don't understand what people love about this place but that is just my opinion.

    Your problem is that you are working in this shit house, I have no idea why anyone who is not on an Expat package would ever consider leaving a proper country to fight day in day out trying to make a living in BKK.

    Your plight is echoed by many working Expats.

    Fuk that shit, go back to the real world, make a life there living amoungst normal people and at the same time earn proper money.

    Being retired, cashed up and free in Bangkok is a completely different gig.

    Some Expats bang on about the Horrific traffic. Of course its horrific, always has been but it is the Expat who places himself on the road.

    Get a Condo near your work and use MRT or BTS.
    Stroller is a Yerman faggot.

  24. #49
    Thailand Expat terry57's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Last Online
    16-10-2017 @ 06:07 PM
    Posts
    25,019
    Quote Originally Posted by Slick View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainNemo
    You know what, you replied to me, and so I replied back, and you started talking about which was a better city to live in, that wasn't to do with the OP either, was it?
    If you don't like having conversations on forums, then why are you here?!
    He's clearly from TVF where a common tactic is to go off topic for a bit then flip it like "WHAT HAS THAT GOT TO DO WITH THE OP!!??"

    Makes them feel like they "won" somehow and usually a mod (of the faggot variety) will come and delete shit.

    Posters who do this fukin shit me.

    Like this shit house is so important one must stick rigidly to the topic or the Filth will ban ya.

  25. #50
    Fresh Seaman CaptainNemo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Last Online
    22-10-2017 @ 08:37 PM
    Location
    in t' naughty lass
    Posts
    4,943
    He already put me on amber with his other thread... not saying he's a troll, but, he was beginning to mince like one

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •