Results 1 to 17 of 17
  1. #1
    Cool Cat
    Perota's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Last Online
    15-03-2017 @ 05:11 PM
    Location
    Bangkok, Korat
    Posts
    3,019

    Driving in Bangkok

    The most challenging thing to do in Bangkok is probably driving. It is not as bad as some people want us to believe. There are rules, not exactly the ones that are written in the manual, but there are rules and once you've manage to lean and understand them things become much more easier and, in some way, more logical.

    I believe it is much more easy to learn to drive in Bangkok if you come from a Latin country. The coexistence of total disrespect for the official code and the existence of generally accepted "grey" rules is something that Thailand and Latin countries have in common.
    The things we regret most is the things we didn't do

  2. #2
    Thailand Expat klong toey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Last Online
    06-11-2018 @ 07:34 AM
    Posts
    5,922
    I haven't got the patience to sit in all those traffic jams can't be bothered to drive in Bangkok.

  3. #3
    Thailand Expat
    peterpan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Pleasantville
    Posts
    10,109
    I drove in Bangkok for 20 yrs, mostly on bikes but also cars, then I moved to Udon, fkn paradise.

  4. #4
    Thailand Expat
    VocalNeal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:34 PM
    Location
    Bangkok
    Posts
    11,019
    Quote Originally Posted by Perota View Post
    I believe it is much more easy to learn to drive in Bangkok if you come from a Latin country.
    Probably works as they also drive on the wrong side of the street

  5. #5
    Thailand Expat Boon Mee's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Online
    17-04-2019 @ 07:05 AM
    Location
    Surat Thani
    Posts
    44,689
    Driving in Bangkok is not that bad so long as you accept there are bottlenecks in certain areas and avoid them. One bad bottleneck right now is along Ratanitibit merging onto Nam Won Wang before you get to the Tollway. Took me an hour longer to reach my destination Suk Soi 22 the other day than if I had stayed on Rama 2 and worked in from the south. The Pin Klaw area is always tough.

  6. #6
    loob lor geezer
    Bangyai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Last Online
    04-03-2018 @ 11:06 AM
    Location
    The land of silk and money.
    Posts
    5,984
    Quote Originally Posted by klong toey View Post
    I haven't got the patience to sit in all those traffic jams can't be bothered to drive in Bangkok.
    Yep. I leave the car at Big C then bus in. A lot less stressful and a lot cheaper. Also don't have to pworry about parking or being dinged by a motorcycle driving between lanes.

  7. #7
    Tax Consultant
    Thormaturge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Bangkok
    Posts
    9,892
    Quote Originally Posted by Boon Mee View Post
    Driving in Bangkok is not that bad so long as you accept there are bottlenecks in certain areas and avoid them. One bad bottleneck right now is along Ratanitibit merging onto Nam Won Wang before you get to the Tollway. Took me an hour longer to reach my destination Suk Soi 22 the other day than if I had stayed on Rama 2 and worked in from the south. The Pin Klaw area is always tough.
    That is one heck of a drive, did you take a picnic?

  8. #8
    Tax Consultant
    Thormaturge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Bangkok
    Posts
    9,892
    Quote Originally Posted by Perota View Post
    There are rules, not exactly the ones that are written in the manual
    I agree entirely.

    In some areas, and at certain times of day, everyone does what is expedient, rather than what is legal. You need to remember that the road and traffic light systems here were not designed by people with any traffic management skills.

  9. #9
    Thailand Expat Boon Mee's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Online
    17-04-2019 @ 07:05 AM
    Location
    Surat Thani
    Posts
    44,689
    Quote Originally Posted by Thormaturge View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Boon Mee View Post
    Driving in Bangkok is not that bad so long as you accept there are bottlenecks in certain areas and avoid them. One bad bottleneck right now is along Ratanitibit merging onto Nam Won Wang before you get to the Tollway. Took me an hour longer to reach my destination Suk Soi 22 the other day than if I had stayed on Rama 2 and worked in from the south. The Pin Klaw area is always tough.
    That is one heck of a drive, did you take a picnic?
    No, but by the time I got to my hotel, I had to piss real bad!

  10. #10
    Banned

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Last Online
    03-06-2014 @ 09:01 PM
    Posts
    27,545
    There's a manual?

    Jing, loh?

  11. #11
    Thailand Expat KEVIN2008's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    1,740
    Irish expat in coma after taxi hit-and-run October 28, 2013 / 13:43 ICT

    Irish expat in coma after taxi hit-and-run | Coconuts Bangkok



    Police are seeking the driver of a taxi who fled the scene after striking an Irish national commuting to work.

    Richard Quigley, 27 of Galliagh, Ireland, remains unconscious and in critical condition after being struck by a taxi while riding a motorcycle taxi to work on Thursday.

    The accident occurred near Quigley's place of employment, and although he continued on to work, he began vomiting and was rushed to a hospital, where he was found to have a fractured skull and blood clots in his head.

    “Before emergency surgery to his brain he had lost power down his left side and since the operation he’s been unconscious so we don’t really know how he’ll be affected until he comes out of it," said his brother, Stephen Quigley, who has traveled to Bangkok to be with his brother. "He opened his eyes yesterday for a few minutes so that’s given us some hope but all we can really do at this stage is hope for the best.”

    His brother expressed optimism that the driver who injured his brother would be found.

    “Because the motorcycle taxis only carry one person at a time, the taxi behind Richard’s was carrying a friend of his who witnessed the hit and run and was able to give the number plate of the vehicle involved to the police so we hope that through the Irish Embassy the investigation will catch whoever is responsible,” he said.

    Richard Quigley has lived in the kingdom for three years.

  12. #12
    Thailand Expat
    peterpan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Pleasantville
    Posts
    10,109
    ya gottta be lucky to survive, I knew a guy who rode with, all due care, but he got side swiped going down Rama 9, Not his fault, and of course no one stopped and he ended up in hospital for 2 months.
    Cost him plenty.

  13. #13
    Thailand Expat terry57's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:30 PM
    Posts
    25,845
    I'm on Silom,

    Grid lock every day from 4- 8 PM . I love it simply because one can walk across the road without dodging the mad fuckers driving.

    Christ, how people can do grid lock everyday is beyond me.

    Do ones head in I reckon.

  14. #14
    Thailand Expat Boon Mee's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Online
    17-04-2019 @ 07:05 AM
    Location
    Surat Thani
    Posts
    44,689
    Quote Originally Posted by terry57 View Post
    I'm on Silom,

    Grid lock every day from 4- 8 PM . I love it simply because one can walk across the road without dodging the mad fuckers driving.

    Christ, how people can do grid lock everyday is beyond me.

    Do ones head in I reckon.
    You get used to it after a while...

  15. #15
    Excitable Boy
    FailSafe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Depends on your point of view...
    Posts
    6,630
    I've never seen a passenger wear a helmet on a scooter-taxi (I've been guilty of that as well)- the damned things are way too dangerous (even though they're so convenient...)

  16. #16
    Thailand Expat Boon Mee's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Online
    17-04-2019 @ 07:05 AM
    Location
    Surat Thani
    Posts
    44,689
    Quote Originally Posted by FailSafe View Post
    I've never seen a passenger wear a helmet on a scooter-taxi (I've been guilty of that as well)- the damned things are way too dangerous (even though they're so convenient...)
    Just keep your arms and legs in and tell the driver to chai yen yen...

  17. #17
    I am in Jail
    Mr Earl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Last Online
    19-03-2019 @ 07:37 AM
    Location
    In the Jungle of Love
    Posts
    14,778
    Quote Originally Posted by Boon Mee View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by FailSafe View Post
    I've never seen a passenger wear a helmet on a scooter-taxi (I've been guilty of that as well)- the damned things are way too dangerous (even though they're so convenient...)
    Just keep your arms and legs in and tell the driver to chai yen yen...
    And keep your eyes closed.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •