Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Baby's Passport

Thailand Expat

Last Online
    17-07-2018 @ 10:23 AM

Baby's Passport

Will be having my son born in roughly 4 weeks time, and i thought i would open up the topic of passports etc

When he is born, he will get a birth certificate which will be thai, this can be used i presume to get his id card and passport at later dates.

I am british but a male, but subsequently so is my mother etc etc as i understand there is no need to register the birth of your baby what so ever wit the consulate, it is after all very expensive and only serves for a practical use if you child wants less hassle if they go and live for long periods of time in your own country mine being england! However having the benefit of a passport for him will allow easy access into a lot of countries as we do a lot of traveling holidays, is there anything else that should be known apart from what i have understood to be the case as descirbed above??????????????

here is pic of my son to warm the hearts of those that are offended by me posting because im an arse, and to get more help!

im hot its so hot today.......milk was a bad choice!

Hello World
    Last Online
    @
    It makes it a lot easier to travel between the UK and Thailand for visits, no visa applications for the kid. Out here on the Thai passport into the UK on the English one.

pompeybloke
    Easy-peasy getting a Brit passport. Get a reputable translation of his birth cert. along with 2 passport size photos of the newborn which need to be countersigned on the back by someone who's known you for 5 years and is in a qualified trade (includes TEFL teachers strangely enough). trot down to the Brit embassy, fill in the form, pay about 12k Baht circa and they'll post it to you within a couple of weeks.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    23-05-2020 @ 05:51 PM
    If you are married before the kid is born he/she gets British Nationality automatically, my daughter was born just over 5 years ago and when she was about 4 or 5 months old got her British birth cert. and passport only cost around 5,000 baht if i remember but if you ain't married you can stick another 0 on the end of that and also it is at Home Office discretion whether they issue it or not.

I am in Jail

Last Online
    26-06-2015 @ 01:33 AM
    I am british but a male, but subsequently so is my mother
    WOW!!!!

http://ukinthailand.fco.gov.uk/en/passports/how-apply

Hello World
    Last Online
    @
    Quote Originally Posted by buriramboy View Post
    If you are married before the kid is born he/she gets British Nationality automatically, my daughter was born just over 5 years ago and when she was about 4 or 5 months old got her British birth cert. and passport only cost around 5,000 baht if i remember but if you ain't married you can stick another 0 on the end of that and also it is at Home Office discretion whether they issue it or not.
    Dont think that applies any more. Mate of mine got his kids passport the other day, hes not married and it cost the same price, about 12,000 book and birth certificate.

I am in Jail

Last Online
    18-12-2008 @ 08:14 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by benlovesnuk
    May your child inherit your wife's brains...

Thailand Expat

Last Online
    yes yes i know my wording is slightly acrick, hopefully my child gets my wifes good looks and brains and nothing from me!

okay that all sounds good, i know that my birth certificate has to be the one with both my parents signatures, and then just go to the embassy, with fee and pics (countersigned) and the thai birth cert. translated and stamped! cool

Quote:
    Originally Posted by benlovesnuk

to be honest when i look at it it pretty damn funny so i will make no excuses!

thanks once again.

you use his british passport going into z country, and checking out, and his thai passport for originally coming out of thailand and coming back in.....?

Dos this cause any discrepancy from immigrations point of view????

I am in Jail

Last Online
    Dos this cause any discrepancy from immigrations point of view????
    No

the only problem will be if your child lives in the UK. he or she will need to obtain a birth certificate for some odd things and a translation of a thai to english in the uk will cost more than a bentley continental

Thailand Expat

Last Online
    may he grow up to become nothing like former counterparts of the thai farang mix to end up on thai tv drama, may he be excused that awful condition of celebrity!

thank you so much this has come as a pleasant surprise not least to know that my mother is indeed a man.........

Banned
    Last Online
    26-02-2010 @ 10:07 PM
    ^ are you sure you are British?

I am in Jail

Last Online
    18-12-2008 @ 08:14 PM
    "British but a male", he is. Whatever that means.
    Last edited by pai nai ma; 06-10-2008 at 09:12 PM.

Banned
    Last Online
    26-02-2010 @ 10:07 PM
    British butamale.

Thailand Expat

Last Online
    well from england actually so that constitutes as british yes!

why cant british men be illiterate?

or in my case writing fast becuase wife was serving food!

I am in Jail

Last Online
    I'm dyslexic so I need to check everything is ok before I press the "post reply" button. but good luck to you and your new family

Thailand Expat

Last Online
    i think i am slightly dyslexic in my writing, in that i write as if i were speaking, i also tend to rush myself to get down what i write from my brain, (which can sound confused in writing)! i have very good english skills in speaking, and my vocabulary is also good but when writing i seem to collate my thoughts in such a way that it sounds as if im confused about a subject. I think this is because of the detail but sometimes incoherent state in which i write. plus of course im lazy and cant be bothered to press shift for capitals, this makes for some, an incredibly difficult read, so im told!

lets hope master quinn does not equate to my same disastrous written abilities...

The baby is strong and healthy and unfortunately for my wife incredibly big, where as she is incredibly small,...........so i keep joking that when he's born he'll be as big as her, and cuddling her to sleep!

anyway thanks for the support, and the info much appreciated gentlemen!

I am not a cat
    Last Online
    @
    Sorry, but I can't work it out from the thread. is the baby's mother Thai or English, and are you legally married - both of these could make a difference.

Hello World
    Last Online
    @
    Not being married to the mother of the child does not affect applying for the childs birth certificate or passport unless the child was born before 1 July 2006.

"For children born on or after 1 July 2006, it is no longer a requirement for the parents of the child to be legally married."

http://ukinthailand.fco.gov.uk/en/he...egister-birth/

For a passport and birth certificate it costs just under 15,000bt.
    The Geek Shall Inherit The Earth

Last Online
    30-07-2013 @ 12:03 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by benlovesnuk View Post
    When he is born, he will get a birth certificate which will be thai, this can be used i presume to get his id card and passport at later dates.
    Yes, In birth certificate have Thai ID. No.
    and use that certificate to apply for Thai passport.

Thailand Expat

Last Online
    my wife is thai, i am british(both my parents are british too).

i dont want to register baby (because to me there seems no point)

i do want to get a passport thai and british.

we would mostly use a passport to go to Laos so a Thai passport is preferable for that.
    However is there a short fall on time allowed to apply for a british passport, that is to say, not within the first year of birth????

thanks for the help....

I am not a cat
    Last Online
    @
    my wife is thai, i am british(both my parents are british too).

i dont want to register baby (because to me there seems no point)

i do want to get a passport thai and british.

we would mostly use a passport to go to Laos so a Thai passport is preferable for that.
    However is there a short fall on time allowed to apply for a british passport, that is to say, not within the first year of birth????

thanks for the help....
    I noted the correction above as to legitimacy. If you want to claim citizenship, you should register the birth with the brit embassy. You could do that and get the passport at the same time (as I recall). I think (!!) its ok to delay up until the kid is 18. But in all honesty, as the rules change often, I would get it done soon to save problems in alter years.

Thailand Expat

Last Online
    As i have seen before on other posts elsewhere this is uncertainty about registering, that is my child should still get a passport if not registered (i am British so are my parents), and that registering is for the ease of your childs ability to live in the uk at a later date, without hassle!

I am unsure and cannot find exact information on this, i have emailed the embassy who will get back to me shortly and of which i will post the reply!

thanks again for the help

I am not a cat
    Last Online
    @
    As i have seen before on other posts elsewhere this is uncertainty about registering, that is my child should still get a passport if not registered (i am British so are my parents), and that registering is for the ease of your childs ability to live in the uk at a later date, without hassle!
    Its a good few years since I had to do it, so a bit blurry I am afraid. As I understand it, any one can register with the embassy (to say you are living here for exampe), but you are talking about registering the BIRTH of the baby -that gets recorded back in Uk (as I recall). Registering the birth may make it easier to get the passport if yu decide to do it at a later date.

Call to the Embassy maybe? I have always found them helpful to be honest, when going with a legitimate request.

Hello World
    Last Online
    @
    Double whammy time, Im doing the Thai and UK passports in one this week. A friend of mine did his daughters a year ago and said something about having the wifes Thai birth certificate translated.

Has anyone applied recently? The goalposts move with stuff like this without noticing so any and all documents needed are a must as its a 6 hr trip back to Petch to fetch anymore stuff thats needed.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    01-08-2022 @ 09:07 AM
    [quote="melvbot"]Double whammy time, Im doing the Thai and UK passports in one this week. A friend of mine did his daughters a year ago and said something about having the wifes Thai birth certificate translated.[/QUOTE

Don't think so. I picked up the forms the other week and found that i needed my daughters photo countersigned by someone (preferably Britsh) who has known me for 2 years. I couldn't give them that on the day though. You will need your child's birth certificate translated and also have to bring your original.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information