Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @

Cow struck by lightning and survives

Cow struck by lightning ... and lives

Article from:
    February 02, 2009 01:50pm

HOLY cow! This hunk of beef is believed to have been struck by lightning - and somehow survived.
    http://www.news.com.au/common/imaged...6468188,00.jpg
    And we're not cooking this up. It's entirely feasible, James Cook University geo-sciences expert Jon Nott says.
    "Cows are susceptible to lightning strikes because of both sets of legs being on the ground, and they're eating grass from where electricity is conducted from the strike so it is possible it happened but, more often than not, cows die from it," he told the Cairns Post.
    "The electricity from a lightning strike would enter the front set of legs and exit out the back legs so, again, based on the picture, it is possible it happened.
    "While I can't explain the knee wounds, the ankle wounds would be consistent with those of a lightning strike."
    The lightning strike happened at a property near Gladstone, central Queensland, last month.

punk douche bag
    Last Online
    @
    good thread.

I am in Jail
    Last Online
    14-05-2014 @ 05:06 PM
    A sheffield shield player was struck by lightening the other day and survived also.

I find that more amazing!

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    11-07-2020 @ 01:48 PM
    If the cow had been lying down it probably wouldn't have been struck. It must have been a very negative cow I think.

I once saw a bloke playing on a golf course who got struck by lightning. He saw the approaching storm and continued walking. He had a burn from his right shoulder down to the metal stud on his Levi's where there was a massive burn mark. Lucky he didn't wear them low like nowadays. He survived, just.

Last Online
    Today @ 08:26 AM
    Was the cow wearing an Ipod?

punk douche bag
    Last Online
    @
    an important thread.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    11-07-2020 @ 01:48 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ChiangMai noon
    an important thread.
    For sure CMN. Many people in Thailand are struck by lightning and it can be easily avoided with proper education. Those working in the fields are most at risk and there are some simple preventative methods to take if you are caught out in a storm. There are lots of resources available. Here is an example from Australia.

Oberon SES Resources - Outdoor Lightning Safety

I have only felt the hairs raise on the back of my neck once just before a strike, but that was during an intense massage.

RIP
    Last Online
    31-01-2011 @ 09:29 PM
    When I was a kid I used to earn pocket money by being a caddy at the local golf course.
    One of the players in the foursome I was with was hit by lightening and was fried on the spot !
    Was not raining but very overcast.
    His clothes caught fire and it was more than a bit upsetting for a 12 year old boy ! ( Me)
    He was playing with a set of those (at that time) 'newfangled' clubs with metal shafts !! (1953)

Thailand Expat

Last Online
    20-10-2012 @ 04:24 PM
    The Fishermen with those new carbon fiber lightning rods are getting it now.

Thread Information