Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    25-03-2014 @ 05:29 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Norton View Post
    Andy, I was at Global House yesterday and looked at a couple of units they have. FYI:

165 litre model - 39,000 baht
    200 litre model - 49,000 baht
    cheers for that, they seem quite reasonable. Would they deliver to CM?

still waiting for a few more quotes, esp from Praneetech, made in Thailand

Last Online
    Today @ 02:33 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by DrAndy
    Prolly but I'm sure there are suppliers of same in CM. Didn't get manufacturer name but will when next at Global.

Here is a pic of what they look like.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    looks like a Sunstar system, I will google it

looks like they are China made

If I order one from China, what guarantees are there that they will actually deliver? I hope they have an agent here, a lot of the companies don't

Last Online
    If I order one from China, what guarantees are there that they will actually deliver?
    Just grabbed the first "look alike" from google. In this case Sunstar a Chinese Company. Have you checked Home Pro in CM?

Last Online
    13-05-2011 @ 08:16 PM
    This is a pretty nice link for info on a cheap solar water heater:

A Homemade Solar Water Heater

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    HomePro sent me a nice email telling me they only do electrical heaters, no solar ones

I am in contact with a nice woman in China, who is telling me the prices of the solar heaters they make

they seem reasonable, although a complete system may add up a bit. I will let you know when I find out the info

as a matter of interest, how do you buy stuff from China without risking losing the cash in a scam? do banks do a holding system? or is there another way?

I would also have to pay import tax and carriage on the system, so maybe the Chinese version in Global House would be good enough
    I have reported your post

Last Online
    I would also have to pay import tax and carriage on the system, so maybe the Chinese version in Global House would be good enough
    I would definitely buy locally. I am sure you can find something closer to Chiangmai but if not then buy from Global House and have it delivered. They are not huge things and will fit in the back of a pickup. You have a pickup. Come visit me and pick up one.
    "Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect,"

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    08-09-2014 @ 10:43 AM
    Don't import anything if you can help it Andy. Unless you're importing loads it really wouldn't be worth it.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    yeah, that was what I was thinking

a trip to some faraway Global House may be on the cards, unless they deliver

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    Quote Originally Posted by DrAndy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Norton View Post
    Andy, I was at Global House yesterday and looked at a couple of units they have. FYI:

165 litre model - 39,000 baht
    200 litre model - 49,000 baht

still waiting for a few more quotes, esp from Praneetech, made in Thailand

Those seem the cheapest ones around Norton

So, do Global House deliver from there to here? If you could find out, many thanks

Northern Hermit
    Last Online
    @
    Went out to the hot springs in Mae On yesterday (San Kampaeng Hot Springs, Go figure). There is installation of several (solar) water heaters and photocell collectors, it was late no one was about. One thing didn't lead to another, so I am on my out there again this morning. Taking my notebook (paper kind) plan on stopping there to get you some information, This place was about 200 - 300 tw in area and packed with mostly the hot water heaters, Perhaps they make or distribute them, maybe it's some kind of research facility. Either way, they should have some info on local availability. Will post what I find out this evening.
    When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty -- T. Jefferson

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    Thanks FF, sounds interesting

you obviously got home safely the other night

Northern Hermit
    Last Online
    @
    ^quite safe and (semi) unmolested.

watterinja
    Anyone had dealings with air-to-water hot water heat pumps in Thailand?

Northern Hermit
    Last Online
    @
    Quote Originally Posted by friscofrankie
    Went out to the hot springs in Mae On yesterday (San Kampaeng Hot Springs, Go figure). There is installation of several (solar) water heaters and photocell collectors, it was late no one was about. One thing didn't lead to another, so I am on my out there again this morning. Taking my notebook (paper kind) plan on stopping there to get you some information, This place was about 200 - 300 tw in area and packed with mostly the hot water heaters, Perhaps they make or distribute them, maybe it's some kind of research facility. Either way, they should have some info on local availability. Will post what I find out this evening.
    No soap. The place looked empty. it is certainly active and the equipmetn shed and shop appears to ahve had recent activity. There was no one to answer me yelling "HALLO." It is a solar energy station. You would think that there would be someone on hand at all times but I guess not. They have mostly photovoltaic panels thee and a few solar water heaters. On closer examination it appears they have dismantled more than half of their original units.

Hmmm, one might wonder if they are concentrating on electricity and looking to dump the rest of the water heaters? Might be worth a trip out there to talk with them, closer than the nearest Global anyway. They could probably help with sourcing, or maybe load one of their units into your truck even.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    I was wondering about the last option!

they obviously don't need them all

Northern Hermit
    Last Online
    @
    ^Road trip? probably best done on a weekday.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    Ok FF, I will call you at a reasonable hour to set a little trip up

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    well, we went, we saw, we bonkered

the chatty girl at the government station was very happy to explain every last detail of each and every project they had working on the front yard

she gave us all the ins and outs and also a price list, as everything was for sale

a 160 litre stainless tank with a suitable solar panel was B49,000, made in Thailand, and a seven year guarantee on the tank. This was for a simple passive direct system, which is all I need. Whilst a bit more than Global House, at least the units are made by the government station (EGAT actually) so parts would be easily replaceable. GH are made in China.

They will also deliver and fit, for approx B6000 extra

so thanks FF for your kind guidance, and we shall ignore your showing off how well you read Thai

Northern Hermit
    Last Online
    @
    we shall ignore your showing off how well you read Thai
    Obviously Not.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    wot! you home already

obviously Gecko books did not have any dark Lao beer

get anything interesting? I was going to say, I have a few shelves of books, you may find something to your liking

Northern Hermit
    Last Online
    @
    I picked up a copy of that book you had on your table and some others; "The Name of the Rose," "In Our Time" and "Grapes of Wrath." I do love Steinbeck and have not read Grapes for a very long time. Hemingway is some one I have avoided but since reading his "Moveable Feast" I thought I'd give "Time" a shot. What the hell if ain't a keeper I can always take it back and pick up somethgn worth keeping around. I prefer to buy books if I like them I generally want to keep them.
    I'll save the Dark Beer Lao for aother time; a time when I don't have to come home and write goddam code.

watterinja
    Do you folks have any pics to show us - D_Randy & FF?

Northern Hermit
    Last Online
    @
    gimme a minute
    Think I got one or two

Northern Hermit
    Last Online
    @

They have 4 sizes:
    100 liter, 2.08 sq meter solar collector
    160 liter, 2.16 sq meter
    320 liter, 4.32 sq meter
    600 liter, 8.64 sq meter
    The mounting foot prints are 2.5, 3, 6.5 & 15 sq meters respectively.
    Weights range from 180 kilograms to 970
    Prices range from 39k - 180k
    All of the setups have a choice of 304 or 316 stainless. Price difference on the 600 liter job is about 43k on the 100 liter job 10k

Although 316 is more resistant to corrosion that 304 I'm not sure it's al that big a deal with fresh water at approximately 25% of cost for the higher grade stainless, if and when I buy I'd opt for the 304. No specs on wall thicknesses that I can see in the brochure.

Yeah, 316 is better but is it really necessary for a home water heater? I do believe 304 will out last any galvanized tank I had back in the US and they lasted for about 15 years or so.

The fit up and build quality looks good, although one of the display installations had some leaks where it had been plumbed in, that is an installation issue not a build issue.

Oh, I should add they have to "stores" the one in Mae On and another in nontaburi.
    The one in Mae On is about 40 kilometers from the CM airport on highway 1317. tel. 053 037 088
    Nontaburi 02 436 5994 (I think, that's what's on the brochure anyway) they've also got some handy fish (fruit meat, etc) driers that are probably best cobbed together at home from odds and ends but the place is all about solar energy. g
    Last edited by friscofrankie; 27-01-2009 at 08:58 PM.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information