Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    RIP
    Last Online
    @
    Quote Originally Posted by lom
    That's the price for a better quality throne..
    Marmers will be following the good example set by BH and will be installing a squatter...

the mind boggles at Marmers trying to balance himself while "in the process"...

R.I.P.

Last Online
    @
    Quote Originally Posted by DrAndy
    you could build the concrete part for B250K, no problem, including the roof possibly
    Just to buy the concrete for the roof would be about 700baht per meter, to do a concrete floor at say 10cm would be 550baht per square meter at least.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    25-03-2014 @ 05:29 PM
    so 100sqm floor, about B55k, and 150 sqm roof about B105k

total cement B160K

workers, iron etc etc hopefully to B250K

maybe not all the roof!

R.I.P.

Last Online
    @
    You haven't included any footings or beam work for the floor or loads and loads of wood for form work, ie the roof has to be done in one hit, about 15,000baht just for the 10mm ply, 3 by 1 wood about 15,000baht, then you got to support it from the floor etc before you poor.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    all true, sorry Marmite, keep saving

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    08-09-2014 @ 10:43 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by lom View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Marmite the Dog
    The bathroom will cost 6k at most.
    That's the price for a better quality throne..
    True, but it doesn't work any better than a 1k toilet.

I will get a loo, a sink and the tiles and the hot water heater for around 6k. I have done it before and I'll do it again.

I'm still not decided on the roof construction yet. I may go with pre-cast slabs inside the exterior walls and then use a lightweight steel & timber frame for the overhangs and use steel pole for support. Probably the cheapest option.

Last Online
    @
    True, but it doesn't work any better than a 1k toilet.
    A better one doesn't tilt when a fat bastard sits down.
    That's my reason for buying a better quality one..

Thailand Expat

Last Online
    @
    Just one word of wisdom: 25 years ago I added a couple of bedrooms to the house I built. I had the bright idea of floor to ceiling windows. After all, we were hundreds of meters from the closest neighbor and surrounded by jungle. From day one my ex-wife closed the lower storm shutters effectively cutting the windows in half. After I moved out, she had the lower part of the windows removed and bricked in. Of course, she never voiced the slightest objection when the place was being designed and built. I thought having a view of the garden from bed was a lovely idea. She didn't. She won.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    I'm currently thinking about a lightweight steel frame with aluminium roof panels. I've seen that type of thing all over the place, but I've not found any companies on the net, yet, so I've no idea about price.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    If you are building in Thailand, it is better to stick with tried and tested methods. You may find it difficult to build in unusual materials due to lack of experience

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    ^ I agree, hence the aluminium roof. There's loads of them in Bangkok, but they're usually on commercial properties, rather than domestic.

If I can find the right stuff (which I think I have) I can supervise the roof myself. Piece of piss this building malarky.

Special member
    Last Online
    @
    I think you might regret saying that!

Piece of piss this building malarky.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    Seeing as the roof may well be aluminium (or similar) it has to have at least a 5% slope so water doesn't get into the joints and leak into the house. Ideally, there would be a company that just has a former on site which would make 20m lengths so I could have it virtually flat, but this isn't the civilised world.

I have been thinking about this for a few hours and have come up with 4 possible solutions.

1. Have a reasonably steep slope across the width of the house and make a feature of it. I've seen the Thais do this many times, so it kinda puts me off this one, but it does make for a fairly neat solution to the roof that goes all the way around the house over the veranda. It also gives a bit of roof space so if it done to the right height, I would have somewhere to put the water tank.

2. More standard shallow pitched roof. Again the 2m roof that covers the veranda works, but it is a bit boring.

3. The roof is pitched into the middle of the house and the water exits to the rear of the house. The roof is hidden at the front by the front wall. This could cause a few problems if there is too much rain and the gutter decides to overflow into the house. Shame really as I quite like this one.

4. Pretty much the same as #3, but with the roof slope showing as a feature. Could end up with an indoor swimming pool for the same reasons. Again, I like this idea.

I did think about doing one like #1, but the slope going from front to back. This would mean a more clumsy solution to the veranda roof, so I decided not to bother doing a highly accurate rendition.

If I could get it to work, I would chose a variation of #3 and #4. Or, if I can find a company that makes 20m lengths of metal roofing sheets, I can keep it simple like my original idea.

R.I.P.

Last Online
    @
    Or, if I can find a company that makes 20m lengths of metal roofing sheets, I can keep it simple like my original idea.
    I am not sure whether you are pretending to be stupid or really are stupid, the worrying thing is I don't think your pretending

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtydog View Post
    Or, if I can find a company that makes 20m lengths of metal roofing sheets, I can keep it simple like my original idea.
    I am not sure whether you are pretending to be stupid or really are stupid, the worrying thing is I don't think your pretending
    I know I'm not likely to find it here, but it's so frustrating because they do it back in the UK and it makes things so easy.

Of course, if you mean that it can't be done anywhere in the world, then it's not me who's the dummy...

R.I.P.

Last Online
    @
    For a house the lengths it don't really make much difference, it comes down to what colorbond has in Thailand, 5 degree angle and your gonna get forced rain up there unless you have a real good overlap, you could talk to your English Architect friend but as he has no idea of driven rain in asian countries it maybe a bit pointless, but 5 degrees aint enough for a roof and he wont be able to recommend the overlap amount correctly, also dont steel and alloy have a real big rust problem? I know they do, what do they use in Aussie land when they use colorbond?

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtydog
    you could talk to your English Architect friend but as he has no idea of driven rain in asian countries it maybe a bit pointless,
    He has worked in Thailand for the last 12 years, so he might have some idea. The manufacturer recommends 5 degrees, but I agree that it is very shallow. But, I'm pretty flexible. If it needs to be 10 degrees, then so be it. Roof design #1 quite clearly looks the soundest option, but there's nowt wrong with looking at other ideas.

The product I've been looking at is 4.5m x 1.5m formed aluminium with special coatings on each side for protection from the elements and to increase its thermal efficiency and soundproofing. Fek knows how much it costs though. Still, I don't need to worry about rust.

R.I.P.

Last Online
    @
    He has worked in Thailand for the last 12 years, so he might have some idea.
    He doesn't if he is saying 5 degrees, yeah works for Thais and a little bit of water in the house during big rains is ok, most farangs don't like that shite though.

alloy and steel react together, the alloy roof sheets need to be pinned to the steel roof structure, it has to be pinned with either alloy or steel, in aussie they use alloy I belive to pin it, to pin it you got to make a hole thru the protective layer on each side and put the rivet or screw thru that, so you got bare alloy, bare alloy rivet or steel screw, and bare steel reinforcing.

Have you got any cheese Thetyim's Avatar
    Last Online
    @
    This is right up your street Marmers.
    A house made from beer bottles.
    two houses shown here

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    That's a good incentive to drink more!

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    Marmite, if your architect really knows what he is doing, then get his advice, for sure. If he doesn't, then a local architect will tell you, and they are not expensive. You will need proper building plans anyway, for planning permission and to get good estimates from builders.

AS for the aluminium/stell problem that DD mentioned, my dad used to have a Bristol car with aluminium body but steel bumpers. The two react together like a battery, if they touch, and quickly oxidise. So, if you use a steel frame with ally roof sheets, you have to isolate them from each other; that would include any fixings too.
    I have reported your post

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    ^ Yes, I know - But thanks anyway.

There's no way that I will just have a sheet metal roof, on a frame with no other layers.

My architect will hopefully draw plans up for me (even if it's only the general design plans) and then I will use a local chappie to translate them into plans that local builders would be happy with.

DrA, I wouldn't mind meeting your builder if he's around when I'm up in CM next. I'd like to get his opinion about a few things.

R.I.P.

Last Online
    @
    He has worked in Thailand for the last 12 years, so he might have some idea.
    He also suggested using concrete for your roof, get a few quotes, you will find that concrete is a mid to high price range alternative, not a cheap range alternative, you may also find that his customers are farangs that want specially designed houses, they aint really bothered about saving 600baht per square meter on a roof.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    Quote Originally Posted by Marmite the Dog View Post
    ^ Yes, I know - But thanks anyway.

There's no way that I will just have a sheet metal roof, on a frame with no other layers.

My architect will hopefully draw plans up for me (even if it's only the general design plans) and then I will use a local chappie to translate them into plans that local builders would be happy with.

DrA, I wouldn't mind meeting your builder if he's around when I'm up in CM next. I'd like to get his opinion about a few things.
    I am sure you could but it would all depend on when you want to build (and how good your Thai is)

If you are just scratching around, you would be wasting his time, and I would feel bad about that. It is better to get opinions from architects then find a builder to do the work. An architect should know all the possible options that are open to you, depending on your budget and style

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtydog
    He also suggested using concrete for your roof,
    No. He said it would be more feasible than trying to do it using hi-tech materials that are taken for granted in the west. Do you ever have anything positive to say to anyone else regarding building in Thailand or are you only able to knock people and their ideas without offering positive advice?

Quote Originally Posted by DrAndy
    If you are just scratching around, you would be wasting his time, and I would feel bad about that. It is better to get opinions from architects then find a builder to do the work. An architect should know all the possible options that are open to you, depending on your budget and style
    That's fair enough, and I appreciate the sentiment & advice.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread Information