View Single Post
Old 26-09-2007, 12:31 PM   #129 (permalink)
Mid
Thailand Expat

Mid Thailand ExpatMid Thailand ExpatMid Thailand ExpatMid Thailand ExpatMid Thailand ExpatMid Thailand ExpatMid Thailand ExpatMid Thailand ExpatMid Thailand ExpatMid Thailand ExpatMid Thailand Expat
Asia-Pacific News

Pressure mounts on Myanmar's allies to intervene
Sep 26, 2007, 5:09 GMT

Bangkok - International human rights and crisis-watch groups Wednesday called on the United Nations and Myanmar's allies to help persuade the junta to avoid bloodshed in Yangon where a clash looms between troops and monks.

'United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon should hold urgent talks with the foreign ministers of China, India and Singapore, the current ASEAN chair, on the sidelines of the UN General Assembly and lead a joint attempt to encourage peaceful dialogue in Myanmar/Burma,' said the International Crisis Group out of New York.

The Brussels-based think tank urged China, India, and Association of South East Asian Nations (ASEAN) to back Ban Ki-moon's call on Myanmar's junta to exercise restraint in the face of growing peaceful protests and put their full weight behind UN efforts to find a solution to the country's political crisis.

'The regime has a long history of violent reactions to peaceful demonstrations,' said Gareth Evans, president of the International Crisis Group. 'If serious loss of life is to be averted, those UN members with influence over the government are going to have to come together fast.'

snip

monstersandcritics.com

"I think...I think it's in my basement. Let me go upstairs and check" - M.C. Escher
Mid is offline   Reply With Quote

Page generated in 0.10726 seconds with 19 queries