Page 31 of 43 FirstFirst ... 21232425262728293031323334353637383941 ... LastLast

Last Online
    @
    Great pics, Fish! I love the gopro and want to get one at some point. Seeing Laos by hot air balloon looks like the way to go!

I'm in Jail

Last Online
    25-03-2024 @ 12:07 PM
    Lots of ways to see Laos but the balloon ride was very cool. They picked us up at the hotel as I mentioned before and dropped us off as well for 9o or 95 usd depending on where you booked.

Too bad about photobucket, sadly I lost all the ziplinestuff due to a bad sd card. Oh well, a reason to go again.

A new zipline is up at Tad fane, 40usd. My gfs facebook friend sent some pice of them having tea on the line. No kidding. I've got reasons to go back now. Not that I needed a reason other than to dive in the river with the gopro, ha ha. Hell I may have to do another picture thread, hope I learn how to fly a drone by then.

Piece out..........the fish.
    Last edited by fishlocker; 13-08-2017 at 08:08 PM.

I'm in Jail

Last Online
    Tad Fane Laos https://imgur.com/a/l2Iir

This is one of the pics she sent. Pretty damn cool this place.

They just installed this very recently so it may be somewhat safe. All my zipline stuff was in Vang Vieng. Too bad I had some good footage. Or at least I thought.

Good luck to all and if you find the time post 'em if you got 'em

the fishes.
    Last edited by fishlocker; 13-08-2017 at 08:06 PM.

Last Online
    @
    Quote Originally Posted by fishlocker View Post
    Lots of ways to see Laos but the balloon ride was very cool. They picked us up at the hotel as I mentioned before and dropped us off as well for 9o or 95 usd depending on where you booked.

Too bad about photobucket, sadly I lost all the ziplinestuff due to a bad sd card. Oh well, a reason to go again.

A new zipline is up at Tad fane, 40usd. My gfs facebook friend sent some pice of them having tea on the line. No kidding. I've got reasons to go back now. Not that I needed a reason other than to dive in the river with the gopro, ha ha. Hell I may have to do another picture thread, hope I learn how to fly a drone by then.

Piece out..........the fish.
    Great pic above... yes, does suck about pb, but I'm liking imgur better already.
    What place in Laos would you recommend to see if I had a week vacation? Tad fane is where exactly?

I'm in Jail

Last Online
    So many cool places in Laos. It all depends on what you like. Although it's a pretty small place getting around can be a hassle unless you jump place to place by air. We are lucky in that we know some folks there and that's a big plus. So is speaking the language as far as getting around.

Tad Fane is on the Bolavan Plateau so Pakse would be the jump off point. I posted a map somewhere in this thread. Your question of what to do with a week is like asking where the best tavern in Milwaukee is. It depends on what you like if you know what I mean.

Most people I would guess come to Laos to get away from the hustle and bustle of humanity. I wouldn't really say back to nature but some places are pretty far out there.

My advice would be to check out Audrey and Samuel vlogs on Laos as well as lost LeBlanc. Le Blanc does excellent camera work now but started I would say on the cheap in Laos traveling with his Canadian girlfriend.

Myself I've read several books on traveling Laos so kinda put together a list of places I'd like to see and things I'd like to do. Ballooning in Vang vieng was on the list but that's not all there is to do there. Zipline, rock climbing, river tours, spelunking at various levels. Hell I saw groups of kids driving some kinds of off road mudd buggies down the main drag. It is a tourist destination so it was a bit pricier than the south ie Pakse or Sepan don ( four thousand island ) area.

I know I'm not helping you much but mabey pm some locals. I am a just a tourist in Laos so like I said I did some research into the attractions, made a list and went from there. Hell I had my gps telling me where Kong Lor cave was and still they took me to Buddah cave instead! So I have that on the list for next time maybe? Possibly it was high water in the cave, not sure but was not too disappointed. I learned to not fret the small stuff in Laos or you will loose it all together.

Also the Gibbon experience would be worth a few days in itself but have heard mixed reviews on that. Check the Internet for videos and reviews.

I'd say it all depends on what you like to do on vacation. Lounge by a pool or bungle in the jungle. Good luck and do your homework first. Again, good luck....the fish.

I'm in Jail

Last Online

Crazy sunlight, Buddha Park, Vientiane Laos.

I'm in Jail

Last Online

I'm in Jail

Last Online

Trying cropping and touch ups. Too bad this bugger has a loose tooth.

I'm in Jail

Last Online

Reclining Buddha at Buddha Park Vientiane. I left the ladies on the left for reference.

I'm in Jail

Last Online

Looking up under the Patuxay Monument Vientiane Laos. I seppo it's not the only time I've been looked down upon.

Custom Title Changer
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:11 AM
    Very nice, fish! The balloon views are spectacular.

I'm in Jail

Last Online

Lao National Monument. Lucky we were there on a day when there were very few people.

I'm in Jail

Last Online
    Thanks, These pics turned out better than the S5 by far. I'm planning on getting a Mavic soon. With my luck they won't let it on the plane. Cheers, fish.

Last Online
    @
    Quote Originally Posted by fishlocker
    I'd say it all depends on what you like to do on vacation. Lounge by a pool or bungle in the jungle. Good luck and do your homework first. Again, good luck....the fish.
    Thanks for the information. I may do a three week trip at Christmas and include the places I want to see (Luang Prabang, Vientiene, Vang Vieng for starters) in Laos, but will start in Chiang Mai and take a boat down the Mekong. Have you done this? I've been researching the trip for awhile now.

I'm in Jail

Last Online
    Sounds good as they are all not too terribly far apart. We have never toured the northern Mekong though I've heard it has some awesome scenery. It's definitely on the to do list for us. Some nice caves along the river that I've heard are well worth a look. Pak Ou cave 25km north of Luang Prabang is just one of them.

I have a Lonely Planet guide book or two that I used to get my ducks in a row on the last tour. That and watching vlogs of course. Two or three weeks would make for a memorable go round up country.

R.I.P.

Last Online
    02-09-2018 @ 07:55 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by bnice2me View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by fishlocker
    Thanks for the information. I may do a three week trip at Christmas and include the places I want to see (Luang Prabang, Vientiene, Vang Vieng for starters) in Laos, but will start in Chiang Mai and take a boat down the Mekong. Have you done this? I've been researching the trip for awhile now.

I did a boat trip down the Mekong which is a 2 day trip with an overnight stop. Instead of doing the second day on the boat i went north by road to close to the Chinese border, Luang Namtha from memory, from there by road to Luang Prabang and on to Vientiane.

Another trip we started at Pakse where we hired a motorbike and did a circuit of the Bolaven plateau, back to Pakse then a songtau to the 4000 islands, from there across the river to Wat Phu at Champsak then back by road to Phonthong on another songtau.

Both good trips.

Last Online
    @
    ^^Thanks for the great information and recommendations! I follow Matt LeBlanc, he has some phenomenal travel vlogs on most of SEAsia...his Thailand stuff is brilliant.

^Thanks, birding. This is also great information. I may have more questions as I plan the trip in the next few months. By the way, did you drive or take a motorbike to LP and Vientiane after you got off the boat? I guess I'll have to rely on bus or plane to get me around.

I'm in Jail

Last Online

This place was on 13 the main street. On the east side. Many places will rent though.
    This is the Bolavan Plateau loop I mentioned earlier. Tad Fane and the picnic spot Tad Yuang just east of Pakse. The bad bad conditions to the far east have been downgraded to just plain bad now I'm told.

R.I.P.

Last Online
    Quote Originally Posted by bnice2me View Post
    ^^Thanks for the great information and recommendations! I follow Matt LeBlanc, he has some phenomenal travel vlogs on most of SEAsia...his Thailand stuff is brilliant.

^Thanks, birding. This is also great information. I may have more questions as I plan the trip in the next few months. By the way, did you drive or take a motorbike to LP and Vientiane after you got off the boat? I guess I'll have to rely on bus or plane to get me around.
    All Bus or Songtau and some were pretty hairy but thats all part of the experience, will look out a few pix.

R.I.P.

Last Online
    Gotta watch yourself some of those Lao women have crabs.

On the road to the Bolaven Plateau.

Songtau to 4000 Islands, never seen anyone like that before.

Hired Bikes in Champasak to go to Wat Phou.

Looking down from the top of Wat Phou.

The best thing the French left behind.....Bread.

Wobbly wheel supermarket.

Ducks and chickens get to ride on top.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    01-03-2024 @ 05:38 PM
    IF u have the time and ur own transport a visit to Muang sing is recommenced,a great market, great treks and lots of minority groups around aslo Sam Neua up near Vietnam in the east
    also visit Phonsavan ( plain of jars) amazing place.
    bus's run; Luang Prabang- Phonsavan- Vang Vieng

http://phuket.zenfolio.com/p348797983
    http://phuket.zenfolio.com/p409010745
    note the menu from a restaurant in Vang Vieng ( pic 27) from back in 2009
    Last edited by Phuketrichard; 16-08-2017 at 10:53 AM.
    "I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol or insanity, but they've always worked for me" HST

View my pics

Last Online
    @
    ^^Wonderful picss and info, birding and Phuketrichard.... it has certainly made me want to visit even more now.

I'm in Jail

Last Online

There she sits second from the bottom moored to a bamboo stake. This was after the epoxy cured and the paint inside and out dried for a few days.
    This one is kinda nice. Unaltered taken with an Samsung S5 smart phone. That's our front yard, a wonderful playground.

Someday I'll have a staircase built leading down to the water. I'm thinking I get two boats and build a deck between like a catamaran then I can feel somewhat safe about night fishing for catfish. I allready have the Colman lantern there.

I really miss that place, lovely memories. Evey time I see a kite it reminds me of those kids.

I regret not doing a time lapse of the sunsets. I think I'm getting better at photography as we scored a few greens from this thread and we thank you for that.

Mr and miss fish.

I'm in Jail

Last Online
    I haven't had a Beer Lao with a veiw like this since January . Well in fact I haven't had a Beer Lao.

I'm in Jail

Last Online

The cleanup crew arrives. Kudos to the kids, always happy to help out. Gotta love 'em.
    Thread update; I had a video chat with my workers the other day. Out of the kindness of my heart I have agreed to send each a little gift so they can get fitted with new school uniorms, supplies and some cost associated with the same. How could I say no. Gotta love 'em. I'm sure they truely appreciate it.

Page 31 of 43 FirstFirst ... 21232425262728293031323334353637383941 ... LastLast

Thread Information