Last Online
    @

Two killed as oil tanker overturns and explodes

A driver and his helper were killed when their oil tanker burst into flames after it overturned on a road in Rayong yesterday morning.

Police said the accident happened on the Ban Bueng-Klaeng road in Moo 2 village in Tambon Payubnai in Rayong’s Wan Chang district. Witnessed told police that the oil tanker crashed into a motorcycle after one its tyres burst and it overturned. They saw the driver and his helper trying to climb out but the tanker burst into flames before they could escape. Police are yet to identify the two victims.

Two killed as oil tanker overturns and explodes

Last Online
    @
    Surely not bald tyres, just as well the evidence is gone.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    31-10-2018 @ 04:29 PM
    Two videos

And

Thailand Expat

Last Online
    @
    I'm not a fire safety expert, but I'm sure you don't fight an oil fire with water. Is that why the fire is running down the street and spreading?
    Sure, use water to keep the tank cool.

Last Online
    @
    One burst tyre can't have done all that. Brakes must have failed as well.

Last Online
    @
    Quote Originally Posted by Maanaam View Post
    I'm not a fire safety expert, but I'm sure you don't fight an oil fire with water. Is that why the fire is running down the street and spreading?
    I'm sure you do if that's all you've got.

Thailand Expat

Last Online
    @
    Quote Originally Posted by harrybarracuda View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Maanaam View Post
    I'm sure you do if that's all you've got.
    No, and that's why the fire is spreading and running down the street. You just make it worse and possibly set fire to other structures.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    03-01-2022 @ 12:29 AM
    Indeed, I saw a similar fire in Farangland and they used foam to choke the fire but well it's Farangland

Last Online
    07-12-2022 @ 03:12 PM
    ^^

Bad situation here.

You need to get as much water as possible on the tank to cool it, the aim being to stop the tank from rupturing due to increasing pressure.

Ya need to get foam on it to smother the oil fire but water fuks up the foam so its a dogs breakfast and very dangerous situation.

In the real world Hazmat are on the scene blocking off drains so the oil cannot enter and pollute the environment.

In this shit house no such thought.

Plenty more Somchais available if a few get blown up and fuk the environment EH.

Last Online
    @
    I doubt Thai fire services have a decent supply of foam for these fires. The budget was there for it, but of course......

Last Online
    02-09-2017 @ 10:04 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by terry57 View Post
    ^^

Bad situation here.

You need to get as much water as possible on the tank to cool it, the aim being to stop the tank from rupturing due to increasing pressure.

Ya need to get foam on it to smother the oil fire but water fuks up the foam so its a dogs breakfast and very dangerous situation.

In the real world Hazmat are on the scene blocking off drains so the oil cannot enter and pollute the environment.

In this shit house no such thought.

Plenty more Somchais available if a few get blown up and fuk the environment EH.
    The vast majority of Tank Trucks in Thailand are just not properly equipped to handle the aftermath of a crash or rollover. They simply have locally made hatch covers which pop off immediately with the stress of the accident, allowing Product to spill uncontrollably onto the road.

A properly equipped Tank Truck should have Pressure / Vacuum Relief valves installed, physical rollover protection and even Loading Valves etc. with Shear Joints designed to break off in a collision but will still leave the main Tank structure liquid secure.

If there is a fire then the Pressure Valves kick in and allow regulated release of Product when, as temperature rises, the internal pressure of the Tank reaches a certain point, at that point Product is released from the Tank, through the valve, into the outside environment - probably to be burnt off by the surrounding flame - but once the internal Tank Pressure reduces the Valve automatically closes. This is where the use of water is most important - just to reduce the internal heat in the Tank Truck. Not to actually try to quench the flames.

Patrick

Last Online
    07-12-2022 @ 03:12 PM
    ^
    Yes that's quite correct and what they teach in Firefighter school.

But this is what happens on the Fire ground.

If the pressure relief valve situated on top of the tank Cannot handle the rapid pressure increase due to super heated liquids the whole shit house goes Boom Boom.

You can here it comin, the pressure relief will be screaming like a bitch, quite an ungodly sound really and certainly not for the faint hearted.

The valves are not fool proof and will only handle a certain pressure increase, under worst case situation where water is not available or limited water is available the tank will explode at its weakest point.

Could be anywhere on the tank at any point, never know until it goes boom. It then takes off like a rocket and god help any fooker in its path.

Been there done that and seen the resulting disaster, did scare the living shit out of me. No one killed thank fuk.

Best result for tanker accident is that the tank ruptures and spills its guts, no problem with pressure resulted explosion, just deal with the fire and kill it with foam.

Yep, that's how this goes down in the real world.

Simply why the experienced Firefighter is regarded as the go to guy when the going gets tough.

Firefighter school is just a giggle until one experiences real life situation.

Its the same with all front line workers, whether they be Paramedics, Army or Police.

Thread Information