Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
    Last Online
    @
    The English Electric Lightning.

I watched one of these point its nose vertically and disappear into the sky, it was a beast.

Basically a fuck off rocket with a bloke strapped to it.

Last Online
    @
    My personal favorite is the EA6B Prowler. I was in VAQ-132 from 1987-1991 and deployed on the USS Forrestal (CV-59) to the Persian Gulf; and USS Saratoga (CV-60) to the Red Sea in a squadron with this aircraft:

EA-6B Prowler | Military.com

"Since the Vietnam war, the EA-6B Prowler has been the U.S. Navy’s primary carrier-based electronic warfare aircraft, jamming enemy radars and providing an umbrella of protection for enemy tracking systems for U.S. attack and fighter aircraft.

Based on the A-6 Intruder ground attack aircraft, the Prowler is a twin-engine, mid-wing configured aircraft that has a side by-side cockpit arrangement. The EA-6B war fighting systems includes the ALQ-99 on board receiver, the ALQ-99 pod mounted jamming system, the USQ-113 communications jamming system and the HARM missile.

Two significant upgrades now in development are the Improved Capability (ICAP III) and the Multifunctional Information Distribution System (MIDS). The ICAP III, approved for Low Rate Initial Production in June 2003, upgrades the on board receiving system, providing an accurate threat emitter geo-locator and a selective reactive jamming capability against modern threat systems. The ICAP III upgrade includes new cockpit displays, improved systems connectivity, and improved system reliability.

The MIDS upgrade provides the ability to receive and utilize data via the Link 16 tactical data link. The Initial Operational Capabilities are planned for March and November 2005, respectively.
    More recently, the EA-6B has been adapted to intercept communications and it has been used extensively to jam or activate radio controlled improvised explosive devices in Iraq and Afghanistan.

The EA-6B Prowler is gradually being replaced by the EA-18G Growler electronic attack aircraft".

Last Online
    @
    My second favorite military aircraft is the A-3 Skywarrior (Whale). I was in VQ-1 out of Guam from 1981-1984 and deployed with this aircraft on the USS Midway (CV-41). I got to fly in this one once from Guam to the Philippines.:

This ?Whale? saved 700 planes during the Vietnam War - Business Insider

"When armchair historians discuss naval aviation during the Vietnam War, the focus usually turns to the F-4 Phantom. That’s the multi-service plane flown by the Navy’s only aces of the war — Randall “Duke” Cunningham and Willie Driscoll.
    And of course there’s the A-6 Intruder, made famous in the novel and movie “Flight of the Intruder.”

One plane, though, probably deserves more attention than it’s earned.
    That plane is the A-3 Skywarrior – often called the “Whale” due to its size. It certainly was big – more than 76 feet long, and with a 72-foot wingspan and a maximum takeoff weight of 82,000 pounds.

The A-3 had a range of 2,100 miles and could carry 12,800 pounds of payload.
    While the Skywarrior did some bombing missions early on, it shined in the electronic warfare and tanker missions. The Navy turned 85 planes into KA-3B tankers, and 34 were also given jamming pods to become the EKA-3B.

These planes not only could pass a lot of gas to the planes in a carrier’s air wing, they helped to jam enemy radars, blinding them to an incoming attack until it was too late.
    Other Skywarrior variants included the RA-3B reconnaissance plane, the ERA-3B electronic aggressor platform, and the EA-3B electronic intelligence version.

As a tanker, the KA-3B and EKA-3B didn’t just enable planes to strike deeper into North Vietnam. These tankers also gave planes gas to get back home – in some cases after suffering serious damage. Aviation historian Joe Baugher noted that as many as 700 Navy and Marine Corps planes may have been saved by the Whale’s tanker capabilities.

That statistic might be the most important. When an EB-66E bomber was shot down during the Easter Offensive of 1972, it resulted in a massive rescue effort to retrieve the lone survivor, Lieutenant Colonel Iceal “Gene” Hambleton, that resulted in the loss of five aircraft, with 11 Americans killed in action and two more captured.

The last A-3 variants, EA-3Bs, managed to see action during Operation Desert Storm in 1991 with VQ-2 before they were retired. E-3 airframes, though, flew in private service as R&D for avionics until 2011.

Not bad for a plane that first flew in 1952!".

Last Online
    @
    My third, and final contribution to the thread is another aircraft from my VQ-1 days. Flew on this one many times back and forth between Guam and Japan:

P-3 Orion · Lockheed Martin

The US Navy -- Fact File: P-3C Orion long range ASW aircraft

P-3C Orion long range ASW aircraft

Description
    Four-engine turboprop anti-submarine and maritime surveillance aircraft. Features
    Originally designed as a land-based, long-range, anti-submarine warfare (ASW) patrol aircraft, the P-3C's mission has evolved in the late 1990s and early 21st century to include surveillance of the battlespace, either at sea or over land. Its long range and long loiter time have proved invaluable assets during Operation Iraqi Freedom as it can view the battlespace and instantaneously provide that information to ground troops, especially U.S. Marines.

The P-3C has advanced submarine detection sensors such as directional frequency and ranging (DIFAR) sonobuoys and magnetic anomaly detection (MAD) equipment. The avionics system is integrated by a general purpose digital computer that supports all of the tactical displays, monitors and automatically launches ordnance and provides flight information to the pilots. In addition, the system coordinates navigation information and accepts sensor data inputs for tactical display and storage. The P-3C can carry a mixed payload of weapons internally and on wing pylons.

Background

The P-3 Orion has been the Navy�s frontline, land-based maritime patrol aircraft since the 1960s. The most capable Orion version is the P-3C, first delivered to the Navy in 1969. The Navy implemented a number of major improvements to the P-3C (Updates I, II, II.5 and III) during its production run. P-3C aircraft communication, navigation, acoustic, non-acoustic and ordnance/weapon systems are still being modernized within several improvement programs to satisfy Navy and joint requirements through the early part of the 21st century.

Current modernization programs include installation of a modernized communications suite, Protected Instrument Landing System, IFF Mode S and Required Navigation Performance Area Navigation, GPS, common avionics improvements and modernized cockpit instrumentation. The USQ-78(V) Upgrade Program is improving the USQ-78(V) Single Advanced Signal Processor system Display Control Unit, a programmable system control processor that provides post processing of acoustic data and is the main component of the Update III acoustic configuration. Up to 100 P-3C aircraft are being upgraded to USQ-78B configuration with System Controller (SC) and Acoustic Sub Unit (ASU) Tech Refreshes. In addition, all analog acoustic data recorders are being replaced with digital data recorders.

The Critical Obsolescence Program (COP) began in fiscal year 2004 to improve aircraft availability through replacement of obsolete and/or top degrader systems. COP systems include the ARC-230 HF as replacement for the ARC-161, the USQ-130 Data Link as replacement for the ACQ-5, the ASW-60 Autopilot as replacement for the ASW-31, the ASX-6 Multi-Mode Imaging System (MMIS) as replacement for the AAS-36 IRDS and the Telephonics Secure Digital Intercommunications System (SDI) as replacement for the AIC-22 ICS. The Navy has shifted the P-3C�s operational emphasis to the littoral regions and is improving the antisurface warfare (ASUW) capabilities of the P-3C. The antisurface warfare improvement program (AIP) incorporates enhancements in ASUW, over-the-horizon targeting (OTH-T) and command, control, communications and intelligence (C4I), and improves survivability. The AIP program presently includes 72 kits on contract; 69 aircraft have been delivered to the fleet as of September 2006. Upgrades to the armament system include the addition of the AGM-84H/K SLAM-ER missile and Mk54 torpedo capabilities.

P-3 mission systems sustainment, necessary to ensure the P-3 remains a viable warfighter until P-8A Poseidon achieves full operational capability (FOC), include acoustic processing upgrades through air acoustic rapid COTS insertion (ARCI) and tech refreshes, mission systems obsolescence management, and the upgrade of P-3 tactical communications and networking through over-the-horizon C4I international marine/maritime satellite (INMARSAT).

The ongoing P-3C airframe sustainment program inspects and repairs center and outer wings while reducing Fleet inventory to the mandated 130 aircraft by 2010. The P-3C fleet has experienced significant fatigue degradation over its operational life as quantified through the Service Life Assessment Program (SLAP). The Navy has instituted special structural inspections programs and replacement kits to refurbish aircraft structures to sustain airframe life. The 12 active patrol squadrons (down from 24 in 1991) operate P-3C AIP and Update III configured aircraft. Other P-3 variants still in service include one VP-3A executive transport, four NP-3C and eight NP-3D research and development, testing and evaluation and oceanographic survey aircraft. Numerous countries also fly the P-3 Orion, making it one of the more prevalent Navy aircraft available for foreign military sales and support.

General Characteristics

Primary Function:
    Antisubmarine warfare(ASW)/Antisurface warfare (ASUW)Contractor: Lockheed Martin Aeronautical Systems CompanyDate Deployed: First flight, November 1959; Operational, P-3A August 1962 and P-3C August 1969Unit Cost: $36 millionPropulsion: Four Allison T-56-A-14 turboprop engines (4,600 hp each) Length: 116.7 feetHeight: 33.7 feetWingspan: 99.6 feetWeight: Maximum takeoff, 139,760 poundsAirspeed: Maximum, 411 knots; cruise, 328 knotsCeiling: 28,300 feetRange: Mission radius, 2,380 nautical miles; for three hours on-station at 1,500 feet, 1,346 nautical milesCrew: (P-3C) three pilots, two naval flight officers, two flight engineers, three sensor operators, one in-flight technicianArmament: AGM-84 Harpoon, AGM-84K SLAM-ER, AGM-65F Maverick missiles, Mk46/50/54 torpedoes, rockets, mines and depth bombs>

Last Online
    Today @ 10:05 AM
    Same, Same but different.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    Looper, great thread that I missed back in '09.

And great contributions by all here.

Here is the Modern Bristol Fighter. AO, you been in this one?

Last Online
    @
    Quote Originally Posted by Cold Pizza View Post
    great thread that I missed back in '09
    These two things may not be entirely unconnected.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:14 PM
    I loved the vulvan as well, but not xh558 or any of the early variants with -200 series engines, which were fondly referred to as screamers. I preferred the later xm series with -300 series engines and a nipple on the front for the TFR. My favourite was xm651 because it had the best equippment and it was the one I worked on most.

Another real favourite, although only experimental, was the Bristol 188. I had the pleasure of polishing its stainless steel frame many a time at Cosford museum. The same hangar contained the 1/3 scale expermental vulcan, Avro 707 and the kestrel fga1 forerunner to the harrier.

On the US side I loved the f-106 delta dart...

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    26-11-2020 @ 11:56 AM
    I like to think like a TESLA kind of BOMB/ LASER that could be sent off thousands of miles from space and cut off all their electronics in a thousand mile radius and make ALL air and navel inoperable. It is POSSIBLE.

A Cockless Wonder
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:30 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by longway
    Me 163 Komet
    Here is a replica of the Me163 in the Australian War Museum.

It has a tiny propeller on the front which is actually a turbine for generating electricity for the instrumentation during flight.

And the legendary English Electric Lightning. Mach 2.2 British engineering masterpiece of the early 50's.

Last Online
    @
    re: A-10 Warthog

Quote Originally Posted by bsnub
    The turd of plane the F-35 is supposedly to replace it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Looper
    with much sadness when the F-35 takes over.
    From the sounds of things that could be awhile...they should call the F-35 the Albatross.

Congress wants the Air Force to prove the F-35 can take over for the A-10 | Business Insider Singapore(2016)

The business end of the A-10:

A Cockless Wonder
    Last Online
    Quote Originally Posted by SKkin
    From the sounds of things that could be awhile...
    Well I for one am not sorry to hear this.

Long may the gloriously righteous warthog continue to strike down with great vengeance and furious anger.

A Cockless Wonder
    Last Online
    Quote Originally Posted by Troy
    I loved the vulvan
    I guess that would be a variant of Storey's EA6 Growler?

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:14 PM
    Dem keys are mighty small compared to my paws...

In Uranus
    Last Online
    @
    Quote Originally Posted by SKkin
    From the sounds of things that could be awhile..
    Personally I think they should massively scale back the F-35 at this point. The wise thing would be to restart production of the F-22 and keep the A-10 in service.

Doubtful that will happen though.

Last Online
    @
    Quote Originally Posted by Looper
    I will move my 1/72nd from the in service shelf to the retired with honours shelf with much sadness when the F-35 takes over.
    Since you're an Aussie:

Chinese J-20 ?an irrelevance? compared to F-35 | Australian Naval Institute

Chinese J-20 ‘an irrelevance’ compared to F-35

"The new Air Force Chief of Staff has that compared to the F-35, the Chinese J-20 “is almost an irrelevant comparison”, Breaking Defese reports.

The F-35, said Gen. David Goldfein, is “about a family of systems and it’s about a network — that’s what gives us an asymmetric advantage.” Instead of comparing the J-20 to the Joint Strike Fighter, Goldfein said, it made more sense to compare the J-20 to the F-117 he flew years ago. When he piloted the F-117 into combat, he pushed the wonderfully named “stealth” button and all his antenna withdrew and his seat dropped down to make the pilot a smaller target. The plane had no connectivity with other aircraft once it went into combat.

F-35A climbing at Eglin Air Force Base“That’s why when i hear about F-35 vs. J-20, it’s almost an irrelevant comparison,” Goldfein said. There’s been enormous amounts of speculation about the Chinese J-20 and J-31 but relatively little comment by American officials. The 2016 Annual Report To Congress about China offered this: “PLAAF leaders believe stealth aircraft provide an offensive operational advantage that denies an adversary the time to mobilize and to conduct defensive operations.”

Perhaps the most troubling news from today’s State of the Air Force briefing here concerned the difficulties the service is having retaining pilots. Air Force Secretary Deborah Lee James said the service faces a 700-pilot shortfall by the end of this year and that will rise to 1,000. That includes, most crucially, drone pilots, to whom the service will be offering an increased retention bonus of $35,000, an increase of $10,000.

What’s causing the shortage? The most powerful factor is increased hiring by airlines, but the other factor is the service’s difficulties in training enough pilots fast enough. The service plans to build two new training centers by the end of 2016, James said. While the service has had pilot shortages before, this time it’s particularly challenging because the Air Force is the smallest it’s ever been, and it’s been flying combat and transport missions for 26 years straight, starting with the 1991 Gulf War and the “no fly” patrols that followed.

James reiterated her concerns about a long-term Continuing Resolution, which Congress may well pass given lawmakers’ fixation on their own reelection and the presidential reelection. It will, as Breaking Defense readers know, mean no starting new programs and no approval for upgrades. That would put paid to 60 new starts and upgrades to programs including those planned for MQ-9 Reapers and B-52s, James said. It would also, perhaps pressingly for combatant commanders, mean that production of JDAM smart bombs would be limited to the quantities bought in fiscal 2016, “which we feel is unacceptable” given the rate they’re being used, the secretary said.

Overall, a CR would mean $1.3 billion less for the Air Force in 2017 than requested. The Air Force was already claiming to be overly strapped when the 2017 budget was released. But can Congress act?

Quote Originally Posted by bsnub
    Personally I think they should massively scale back the F-35 at this point.
    My thought as well about the F-35 and new Ford class carrier. But contrary to many reports over the years they both seem to be working out OK. So hell if I know what to believe anymore.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    27-12-2020 @ 05:44 PM
    Not mentioned yet to my knowledge, but certainly worth an honalabun mention is the

Mitsubishi A6M Zero, which was an extremely effective fighter aircraft until the yanks captured one and found out its flaws.

Fast and powerful, in 1942 over Sri Lanka (then known as Ceylon) 36 zeros took on 60 British fighters and shot down 27 of them suffering only a single loss.

Last Online
    Today @ 10:05 AM
    Another one worth a mention?

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    That's a cool one, not seen one before. apparently its a westland whirlwind.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    Which reminds me of this beast:

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    03-10-2022 @ 11:24 AM
    This one is kind of cute, a bit like a jet-powered Bumblebee or something.

The Messerschmitt Me 163 Komet.

A Cockless Wonder
    Last Online
    Quote Originally Posted by VocalNeal View Post
    Another one worth a mention?

SFP - snap!

Whirlwind was little bewt.

Gigantic twin engine nacelles dwarf the fuselage and 4 cannons to boot.

A Cockless Wonder
    Last Online
    Quote Originally Posted by longway View Post
    Which reminds me of this beast:

Evolved into its natural role as a night-fighter as seen here in black with radar antennae for target detection.

Thailand Expat

Last Online
    @
    Quote Originally Posted by Looper View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Troy
    I loved the vulvan
    I guess that would be a variant of Storey's EA6 Growler?

Remind me to come back to this to green you. Well done, nice word play.

I can't contribute as I have no knowledge of war planes ....except the Sopwith Camel of Snoopy fame.

Thailand Expat

Last Online
    Today @ 08:45 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by longway View Post
    Not mentioned yet to my knowledge, but certainly worth an honalabun mention is the

Mitsubishi A6M Zero, which was an extremely effective fighter aircraft until the yanks captured one and found out its flaws.

Fast and powerful, in 1942 over Sri Lanka (then known as Ceylon) 36 zeros took on 60 British fighters and shot down 27 of them suffering only a single loss.
    These figures are disputed.

In truth, the nips had an attacking force of over 120 aircraft comprising Zeros, dive bombers and bombers which launched their attack whilst 30 Sqdn. of Hurricanes were still on the ground. They were at an obvious disadvantage and were armed with machine guns loaded without tracer bullets because earlier in their posting some tracer ammo had exploded in the heat.

Against the Zero with its cannon, and giving away height, and taking into account the fact they could not form a wing but were compelled to fight as singletons, it was scarcely surprising the RAF lost more aircraft but subsequent accounts suggested the nips lost at least 33 aircraft including zeros and bombers and 30 Sqdn. lost 23 Hurricanes and the RN lost 7 Fulmars - the alleged 60 RAF aircraft comprised a variety of planes including Fulmars, Albercores and Hurricanes, some of which were obsolete.
    Last edited by Seekingasylum; 14-08-2017 at 06:03 PM.

Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread Information