View Single Post
Old 11-08-2017, 11:11 AM   #10 (permalink)
Switch

Switch is a splendid one to behold in ThailandSwitch is a splendid one to behold in ThailandSwitch is a splendid one to behold in ThailandSwitch is a splendid one to behold in ThailandSwitch is a splendid one to behold in ThailandSwitch is a splendid one to behold in ThailandSwitch is a splendid one to behold in ThailandSwitch is a splendid one to behold in ThailandSwitch is a splendid one to behold in ThailandSwitch is a splendid one to behold in ThailandSwitch is a splendid one to behold in ThailandSwitch is a splendid one to behold in ThailandSwitch is a splendid one to behold in ThailandSwitch is a splendid one to behold in ThailandSwitch is a splendid one to behold in ThailandSwitch is a splendid one to behold in ThailandSwitch is a splendid one to behold in Thailand
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Switch View Post
Despite the age of the article, it is interesting that Chinese and Indian restaurants can be found almost anywhere in the U.K. French cuisine hardly exists outside the capital.

Also of note is the fact that Indian and Chinese food served in UK, is merely a hat tip to the country of origin. Probably the same in USA where the dishes have been adapted to the local palate and availability of ingredients.

Most quality Indian establishments are often Bangladeshi in origin and staffing at the chef level anyway.

Not ethnic or foreign really, just local adaptations in countries like U.K. And USA where the local menus tend to be more bland and limited.

I suspect Thai food is adapted outside the country of origin in the same way. As I don't eat overly spiced shite here, I am unlike to test this theory in the UK.
Switch you may find Chefs in the UK, are still trained the French way, and what the UK term as modern British food is just a derivative of French cuisine.

The are many French restaurants around the UK,

Chinese and Indian food these days are winning many awards, rosette and Michelin stars.
I have to disagree on the French influence and availability. Indian and Chinese food, as adapted by The UK, has been available even in small cultural backwaters of the U.K. since the 1960's.
How many French restaurants are to be found in Brum, Leeds, Manchester, Glasgow etc?

Was the Tika Masala not declared the most popular dish in UK a few years back?

You might have better luck with the infiltration of Japanese food in Blighty.

The point about chef training is noted. If only for the use of Sabatier.
Switch is offline   Reply With Quote

Page generated in 0.08274 seconds with 19 queries