Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    RIP
    Last Online
    @

koh Samet - The Isle of Dogs

Hurtling along at supersonic speed on a speed boat captained by a Yaba enfused maniac from the port of Ban Phe, reminiscent from a scene from Dunkirk we landed.
    Bottle of Chang in hand and the other clutching my jaw , one was quickly approached by a Royal Thai Army soldier fully armed with a ticket book and bulging wallet.
    I handed over the 240 baht entrance fee to the national park of Koh Samet after forking out for the 2000baht white knuckle ride across sea.
    The beautiful white sanded island has been invaded by thousands of strange Chinese whos sole aim on holiday is to take as many selfies as possible.
    We headed quickly away from the maddening crowds to a pristine paradise where are only company is the surf,sea, sand, sun and dogs.....

I'm in Jail

Last Online
    08-02-2023 @ 01:23 PM
    Thanks for that, my son wanted to go there on his next holiday, just out of interest have you been around to Ao long dam beach.?

some pics would be nice to see how much it's changed, the reports I've had say it's become very expensive.

Thailand Expat

Last Online
    Today @ 03:24 PM
    A leisurely and very pleasant trip on the Ban Phe - Samet ferry costs 60 baht and takes about an hour, if that. If one wishes, an overland pig truck to your destination can then be negotiated at the prevailing rate.

Last Online
    @
    I am heading there in a few weeks.

RIP
    Last Online
    @
    Lots of families here, i'd recommend getting a room on arrival as they're expensive on those booking sites.
    White sand, warm seas, friendly locals.
    Pics coming when I get a chance, life's a beach..

Last Online
    @
    Quote Originally Posted by Chittychangchang View Post
    Lots of families here, i'd recommend getting a room on arrival as they're expensive on those booking sites.
    Its actually one of the few islands I have not been too for some odd reason. I will fly my drone around for aerial vids along with some still photos.

Look forward to the pics. and yeah Life is a Beach....

Thailand Expat

Last Online
    Friendly locals !!!!

Those fuckers are the meanest, most avaricious and commercially callous in the whole fucking region.
    Three families control the entire island and most of the restaurants are really just one big fucking cooperative peddling mediocre shit at price-ringed levels. Are they still hoarding rubbish behind the Had Sai Khao beach where they farm mosquitos in the ponds of puddled lying water?

Koh Samet is a classic case of tearing the guts out of something without putting a damn thing back. In any decent society those families would be deported and replaced by proper hotels established within an environmentally balanced infrastructure that does not pollute or overcharge for shit accommodation that wouldn't cost 1600 baht in Bangkok.

For years the greedy buggers started laying tablecloths all over the beach at 1500hrs turning it into one giant alfresco restaurant replete with cushions and dinky little candle lit lamps for the punters to recline and admire the sunset and rising moon. The only trouble was that with all the spiltt food and other detritus they created fucking legions of lice, sandflies and fuck knows what else on the beach which means after a day or so lying on it you start getting bit like crazy.

When I remarked on the fact to our hotelier and showed him all the bites after a session on the beach he explained that "sun very hot now and all sandfly wake up early and come to the surface".

Koh Samet could be a paradise but left to the Thai........

With the Chinese mass market and the urban Bankgokian Thai coming down on weekends and holidays, and the high season marketing of the place as a party island to the vacuous young a la KPG , its turning in to a fucking nightmare.

Out of season, midweek and with no imminent public holidays it is bearable.

Thailand Expat

Last Online
    Quote Originally Posted by JPPR2 View Post
    Its actually one of the few islands I have not been too for some odd reason. I will fly my drone around for aerial vids along with some still photos.

Look forward to the pics. and yeah Life is a Beach....
    Fly your fucking drone near me and it'll get shoved up your arse, you twat.

I'm in Jail

Last Online
    Quote Originally Posted by Seekingasylum View Post
    A leisurely and very pleasant trip on the Ban Phe - Samet ferry costs 60 baht and takes about an hour, if that. If one wishes, an overland pig truck to your destination can then be negotiated at the prevailing rate.
    Considering he doesn't like the place why the fek does he go there.

Last Online
    @
    Friendly locals !!!!

Those fuckers are the meanest, most avaricious and commercially callous in the whole fucking region.
    Three families control the entire island and most of the restaurants are really just one big fucking cooperative peddling mediocre shit at price-ringed levels. Are they still hoarding rubbish behind the Had Sai Khao beach where they farm mosquitos in the ponds of puddled lying water?

Koh Samet is a classic case of tearing the guts out of something without putting a damn thing back. In any decent society those families would be deported and replaced by proper hotels established within an environmentally balanced infrastructure that does not pollute or overcharge for shit accommodation that wouldn't cost 1600 baht in Bangkok.

For years the greedy buggers started laying tablecloths all over the beach at 1500hrs turning it into one giant alfresco restaurant replete with cushions and dinky little candle lit lamps for the punters to recline and admire the sunset and rising moon. The only trouble was that with all the spiltt food and other detritus they created fucking legions of lice, sandflies and fuck knows what else on the beach which means after a day or so lying on it you start getting bit like crazy.

When I remarked on the fact to our hotelier and showed him all the bites after a session on the beach he explained that "sun very hot now and all sandfly wake up early and come to the surface".

Koh Samet could be a paradise but left to the Thai........

With the Chinese mass market and the urban Bankgokian Thai coming down on weekends and holidays, and the high season marketing of the place as a party island to the vacuous young a la KPG , its turning in to a fucking nightmare.

Out of season, midweek and with no imminent public holidays it is bearable.
    Outstanding review. Looking forward to my trip there.

In general I have found islands anywhere within close traveling distance from BKK to be pretty marginal or heavily congested.. I will surely comment on my visit. Of course I am a half glass full type so I do not whinge about much. Always Thankful I can go relax and do my thing. Only Island I would never return to is Koh Tao. WAY to many stinky backpackers. Tried it once and gave it the benefit of the doubt and went back, same outcome.

Quote Originally Posted by Seekingasylum
    Fly your fucking drone near me and it'll get shoved up your arse, you twat.
    ^ Gotta love the Drone haters. Usually grumpy old fkrs who want to complain about anything they can..... At least one thing is good, if my drone gets shoved up my ass, I will know I met Seekingasylum....

Last Online
    @
    Not certain you'd be able to narrow down the culprit that easily.

And yeah, Samed was pretty pleasant while it lasted...which was until about 8 years ago.

So, worth a visit for at least 20 years ime.

A pretty good knock.

On our last visit the Pad Thai was smothered in ketchup

Ketchup ffs!

The death knell sounded.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    The best way to see Samet is from mainland Rayong.
    The best way to see Ko Tao is through a periscope, with loaded tubes.
    The best way to see Phuket is from a B-52. Samui, likewise.

Thailand doesn't do islands well.

RIP
    Last Online
    @
    Another great day on the beach body surfing, drinking and eating from passing traders.Got some great pics coming shortly.
    Desovered a hippy Buddhist retreat on a secluded beach today.
    Plucked mangos and coconuts from the trees with the kids.
    Nice food and comfortable accomadation, even got 43 baht to the pound today
    Off out to watch the fire starters on the beach tonight, probably order everything on the menu and still have change from 3000 baht.

RIP
    Last Online
    @
    Quote Originally Posted by Chico View Post
    I do believe the Gent enjoys inserting objects into orifices and from one of the beaches I've briefly encountered this week , I now know why he comes here

As for the slow boat cheap Charlie trip I wouldn't recommend it unless you enjoy sea sickness.
    This Isle reminds me of Koh Samui 20 years ago.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    Shame you weren't there 10-15 years ago- Samet was still nice then.
    Grumpy old-timers- don't they just drive you up the wall.

Last Online
    @

On your own by any chance?

I'm in Jail

Last Online
    Quote Originally Posted by Chico View Post
    I do believe the Gent enjoys inserting objects into orifices and from one of the beaches I've briefly encountered this week , I now know why he comes here

As for the slow boat cheap Charlie trip I wouldn't recommend it unless you enjoy sea sickness.
    I must admit I used to like the Cheap Charlie boat

the Ao long dam boat was excellent didn't have to pay the stupid entrance fee.

RIP
    Last Online
    @
    Quote Originally Posted by cyrille View Post

Zzzzzzz boring cvnt !!!
    3 Families avin it large

RIP
    Last Online
    @
    I met Punty tonight, beat the illuminated cvnt at pool for 1000baaht.
    I got pics

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    23-05-2020 @ 05:51 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by cyrille View Post

Zzzzzzz boring cvnt !!!
    3 Families avin it large
    As a career TEFLer I doubt Sybil has a family, best ignored.

Last Online
    @
    So he's gone from trying to be Lulu, to trying to be Slap.

The OP thing needs more Lay.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    I met Punty tonight, beat the illuminated cvnt at pool for 1000baaht.
    I got pics
    Haah Chitty is on holiday. How cute..

And he is still obsessed with "punty"

Have a Chang in my honour chitty

Last Online
    @
    Soooo ...

While we are waiting for CCC to get his photo album together, a wee image interlude from when I was there a few years ago ...

Was a dark and stormy day ...

Below:- Fire twirlers and dinner on the Beach.

Over to you Mr Chang
    Someone is sitting in the shade today because someone planted a tree a long time ago ...

Last Online
    @
    Nice Pics David. Thanks

My wife wants to go check this Island out. I look forward to it. We will go towards the end of this month. As long as I can dick around with my Go Pro Hero 5 free diving taking pics and vid's and fly my Mavic to get some aerial shots all is good. Oh Yeah and of course knock back a few cocktails with missus JPPR2.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    I have many fond memories of koh samet in the eighties and nineties, spending a few days with nubile lithe cinnamon skinned floozies in rickety stilted candlelit bamboo huts and drawing water from a well to shower with was as near to paradise as a backpacker in those days could hope to get.

there were always bungalows available, there were no motor vehicles on the island, and the walks up and down the island, from cove to cove, were always a delight. ganja was abundant. the generators were turned off at sunset, and silence and darkness enveloped the island. it truly was a paradise.

the bungalow owners were always helpful, welcoming and friendly and as most of the other guests were nearly always enjoying the same illicit delights, a knowing camaraderie developed. political correctness, virtue signalling, and the holier than thou judgmentalism that poisons so much of life today had not yet been discovered and they were altogether much more pleasant times where one could enjoy oneself to ones hearts content without fear of the opprobrium, disapproval, ostracism or shame that results when you find yourself on you tube with joint in your mouth and a floozy in your lap and a thousand rabid viewers shrieking for your blood.

why anyone would actively seek out the overcrowded shithole these days, stuffed full of inconsiderate revellers, avaricious hosts and the selfie addicted chinese is a mystery.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread Information