The build is almost complete, still some snagging to do, plus we have a bit of an issue with the wiring installed in the master bathroom (no surprise there then!)...
The power feed for the shower was put in an approximated place, then the bathroom was tiled, then the shower unit installed, but the wiring comes in 6 inches from the shower position and runs around the corner and top of the shower unit and back in to the left hand side... ugly wires visible, so some cheap-arse plastic stick-on, snap-close surface conduit has been roughly hacksaw-ed and bodged in a shitehawke attempt at hiding wires. Same goes for light above bathroom mirror... power feed too high up, leaving exposed wired to light unit.. same crappy attempt with surface conduit.
It's not as if this is a DIY attempt at changing something already installed.. it's a bloody new build, with clean lines and nice materials, only to be let down at the final jump by lack of care... FFS!
Solution is either i) to knock out a couple of tiles, chase out the brickwork, install conduit and re-tile in the right position.
Or ii) re-site the shower unit to where the wires come through, but then the shower head and will be at 90 degrees to the unit, and it will look a bit odd. Plus there will be mounting holes visible in the tiles where it was previously sited, so the tile (or tiles) would have to be replaced anyhow!... a pain in the arse, all because of lack of attention before tiling.
I also requested lighting above the window behind the kitchen sink.. (I'll put in a shelf with a concealed LED lighting strip underneath), but somehow this request was ignored, I asked again, as the wiring conduit in the walls was being installed, as I noticed no conduit had been installed for this, and was told "no problem, will do".
Walls were then rendered, ceiling installed, decorating done, still no sign of electrical feed... so I asked again.
Khun Ranger and Tonto wiring services must have paid a visit yesterday, because now we have wiring coming out of the ceiling above the kitchen window... I presume that the proposed solution to hiding this now visible wiring is that same crappy surface snap-on conduit.
I don't think so! better get the angle grinder out and get some chasing-in done, followed by some very clever filling and painting or there will be trouble!
Again.. 95% fabulous, nice finish, nice materials, made to look 50% shite owing to a dodgy rushed finish and half-arse solution on a few things.
I'm not a happy chappy.
It's a learning exercise for me, I would never had thought that knowing what fittings are going in and where they are to be placed should be worked out at the stage where brickwork has just been completed, but this is actually the case. Noarng and the foreman should have known this, I perhaps should have, but I have never overseen a house build before, so I guess I am sort of excused.
The missus is on the case, so perhaps it can be fixed without too much of a faff... almost at the point where I don't want to go to see the house any more as every time I do, something annoying as hell is waiting to greet me!
Advice to anyone wanting to build in Thailand to any level of decent finish... simple answer is DON'T! Just rent, it'll be cheaper and more stress-free