Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Last Online
    @
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilsonandson
    a second before takeoff the black line goes under his arm and you see him holding on by his armpits. This is why the guy on the ground goes nuts also I would bet the old man was screaming in pain.
    yeah, I can see that now.

he thinks he has to keep the ropes under his armpits...which is why the takeoff is so skewed.

language barrier and crap equipment.

i remember seeing this on my first day in thailand, on patong in '89 and thinking 'no fucking way'.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    20-08-2018 @ 01:32 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by cyrille
    i remember seeing this on my first day in thailand, on patong in '89 and thinking 'no fucking way'.
    Don't be such a wimp. I will pay for you.

Last Online
    @
    do you even amuse yourself?

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    31-10-2018 @ 04:29 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Looper View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Pragmatic
    There should be no hooks or ropes that can be pulled or adjusted by the thrill seeker. All of that should only be undertaken by a third party and only be carried out on the ground.
    I did it once at Laem Sing. But there was no wing-man. I was on my toddler. They wanted me to land on the beach at the end as it is a hassle to get the chute out of the sea but I decided to drop into the sea as Laem Sing is a very small beach and the sea looked like a bigger target lower risk option - so they had to fish their soggy chute out of the waves.

Not a nice video. Makes me think of the opening scene from the novel Enduring Love.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    Children's tributes as wife denies Perth man who died parasailing 'unclipped' harness in a panic

Children of the Perth businessman who died in a horrific parasailing accident have paid tribute to the "best" father, as his wife denies reports he "panicked" and unclipped his safety harness.

Minutes later, Mr Hussey separated from his parachute, fell more than 30 metres and plunged into the ocean.

Mr Hussey died after falling more than 30 metres off a beach in Thailand.

On Thursday, Mr Hussey's children paid tribute to their father.

While the cause of the accident is still being investigated, local media have reported Mr Hussey could have mistaken the release hook with another rope.

Mr Hussey's wife, Boosabang Tongsanga, has denied parasail operator Roongroj Rakcheep's claim that he had accidentally unbuckled his equipment in a panic, and also ruled out the possibility that it was suicide.

"My husband wanted to try it because it was a new experience for him," she told local media.

"He was in good health and had no problems in his life that would have caused him to do this on purpose."

Roger Hussey with his wife Boosabong Tongsanga.
    On Thursday, Mr Hussey's children posted photos to Facebook saying he was "engraved in their memory forever."

"I promise to be strong, I will protect my mother everyday. Love you everyday," his daughter wrote.

Roger John Hussey smiled at his wife while his instructor tightened his harness.

The 71-year-old could be seen struggling before he came detached from his harness.

The shocking footage shows the businessman struggling with the ropes as the sail reached maximum height.

Beachgoers can be heard screaming as others rush to bring Mr Hussey ashore.

He was reportedly having difficulty breathing and died a short time later in Patong Hospital.

The boat operator and the staff member on the parasail were arrested and are have reportedly been charged with recklessness leading to death.

Local police said it was illegal to operate a parasail boat without a technician on board.

Mr Hussey's wife she they had watched people parasail for three days before he tried it and they were confident he could do it.

Emergency services rushed Mr Hussey to the Patong Hospital but he was pronounced dead a short time later.

Mr Hussey is pictured here with his children, who paid tribute to the "best" father on Thursday.

Mr Hussey and his Thai wife were 12 days into their dream holiday and were due to return to Australia on Friday.

Based in Perth, Mr Hussey was on the board of the WA Neuroscience Research Institute and the Bali Eye Foundation.

His body has been sent to the coroner to determine whether his death was caused by the impact of the fall or drowning.

https://au.news.yahoo.com/wa/a/36369...sailing/#page1
    Last edited by Wilsonandson; 14-07-2017 at 05:04 PM.

Banned

Last Online
    09-05-2021 @ 03:25 AM
    Hope i dont go out like that, on video in portrait mode

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    His body has been sent to the coroner to determine whether his death was caused by the impact of the fall or drowning.
    Hmm? Difficult one to call.

Last Online
    01-09-2023 @ 09:02 AM
    If that was my loved-one falling from that height on course to be badly injured or killed I don't think I would have kept such a steady hand while filming . Anyhoo, RIP Rodger.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    I parasailed once in Mazatlán, Mexico in the 1980s.

At Mazatlán in 1997 I watch a guy fall to his death (he landed out of view into a hotel construction site on the beach and was impaired on rebar.)

I'll never parasailed again.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    Quote Originally Posted by Cold Pizza
    You drunk? 5 words including a contraction and you have two different tenses. Funny as much as you read and type...

Last Online
    @
    Quote Originally Posted by aging one View Post
    You drunk? 5 words including a contraction and you have two different tenses. Funny as much as you read and type...
    Maybe he was "impaired on rebar" too. Strong stuff that is if you overdo it.

Last Online
    @
    Quote Originally Posted by aging one View Post
    You drunk? 5 words including a contraction and you have two different tenses.
    If he needed to be drunk to post drivel surely he'd be dead by now?

A Cockless Wonder
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:18 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by yortyiam View Post
    If that was my loved-one falling from that height on course to be badly injured or killed I don't think I would have kept such a steady hand while filming . Anyhoo, RIP Rodger.
    I knew that there was something about the footage from the wife that struck me as odd but I could not pin it down, but that is exactly what it was.

Thankyou YY

Last Online
    @
    Quote Originally Posted by Looper View Post
    I knew that there was something about the footage from the wife that struck me as odd but I could not pin it down, but that is exactly what it was.

Thankyou YY
    Filming didn't last long after he fell, I would suspect it was probably disbelief.

Of more interest to me is why she gave or sold the video so soon. That's not something I would want shared with the world.

Last Online
    Today @ 02:31 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilsonandson
    The 71-year-old could be seen struggling before he came detached from his harness.
    I wonder what he was like while flying ?

still I would want a quick release from a parachute , especially if over water

Quote Originally Posted by Dillinger
    in portrait mode
    why do people use it ?

I am in Jail

Last Online
    19-06-2023 @ 09:10 PM
    From parachute to water lasted 2-3 seconds
    Hardly any time for any reaction

Last Online
    @
    ^^^
    Post #9. I more or less said the same thing. She even followed his descent. Not a flicker of amazement or camera shake.

RIP
    Last Online
    @
    'He was nervous and panicked': Thai police chief claims Australian tourist, 70, 'unbuckled his harness' before plunging to his death - as his wife denies he did it on purpose

Read more: Australian Roger Hussey dies in Thailand when parasailing | Daily Mail Online
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Last Online
    18-02-2021 @ 04:53 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Chittychangchang View Post
    'He was nervous and panicked': Thai police chief claims Australian tourist, 70, 'unbuckled his harness' before plunging to his death - as his wife denies he did it on purpose

Read more: Australian Roger Hussey dies in Thailand when parasailing | Daily Mail Online
    That seems to be the point, that he did unbuckle himself seems clear but it is unlikley he had the knowledge to realise what he was doing was wrong as the instruction was probably too brief.

Operator was not operating a safe regime, question of time before someone got into trouble.

Last Online
    @
    Quote Originally Posted by BKKBanger View Post

That seems to be the point, that he did unbuckle himself seems clear but it is unlikley he had the knowledge to realise what he was doing was wrong as the instruction was probably too brief.

Operator was not operating a safe regime, question of time before someone got into trouble.
    Operator is a chimp, what do you expect?

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    03-10-2022 @ 11:24 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Pragmatic View Post
    ^^^
    Post #9. I more or less said the same thing. She even followed his descent. Not a flicker of amazement or camera shake.
    She really has the "big match temperament", eh?

Banned

Last Online
    09-05-2021 @ 03:25 AM
    Unlike Flappy

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    12-11-2023 @ 04:38 PM

Having looked at the slow mo video that follows the original. Pinioned as he was with the lines under his armpits in that fashion, I would be surprised if he could move his arms at all, let alone reach the harness release.

Last Online
    @
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwick
    I would be surprised if he could move his arms at all, let alone reach the harness release.
    I would have thought, as a safety measure, that it would be impossible for the Aussie to self release. That is something that only a third party can do upon landing. My opinion was/is that he wasn't harnessed correctly before takeoff. Easy enough to blame the guy for panicking which I suppose he did at a hundred feet when he realised he was insecurely harnessed.

or TizYou?
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:55 PM
    https://thewest.com.au/news/wa/exper...-ng-b88535549z

An Australian parasailing expert believes the leg rings of a safety harness supporting WA businessman Roger Hussey failed during a joy ride in Thailand, causing him to plunge about 30m to his death.
    Despite claims by Mr Hussey’s Thai parasailing guide that the 70-year-old may have accidentally unclipped the top of his harness, former South Australian parasailing company owner Damian Ward believed it was more likely he slipped through the bottom.

Mr Ward, who ran Odyssey Adventures Parasailing in Adelaide and Darwin for seven years, watched the video of the accident and said judging by the way Mr Hussey’s legs were hanging straight down after he initially appeared to slip, he believed both leg straps had failed.
    He said Mr Hussey hung on for a second with his legs dangling before he fell.
    “For that to happen, both of the leg straps would have to fail and his arms would have to lift up over his head so he could slip out of the harness,” he said. “It’s an unfortunate chain of events.”
    Mr Ward said the equipment used by Thai operators looked different to what was standard in Australia and he did not believe it was as safe.
    “With our harnesses in Australia you sit down in a swing underneath and then if you slip off that, you hang by the rings around your legs,” Mr Ward said.
    “Ours are a fixed loop around you, the same as any rock-climbing harness, and you step into them. In the video they appear to be adjustable. I don’t know why you would have that.
    “It is just another thing that could fail.”
    Mr Ward said it would have been very difficult for Mr Hussey to have unclipped himself from above.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information