Page 13 of 125 FirstFirst ... 3567891011121314151617181920212363113 ... LastLast
    Freelance Astronaut
    Last Online
    23-02-2024 @ 12:36 AM
    Heres a few views of the next door plot after 'raising....

As can be seen, the plot followed the level line from my levels, not the shallow gradient, which meant that by the time the raising on this adjacent plot got to the top end (nearest to the camera) of the plot, there was in fact, no raising at all.

I think I benefit from this: being level, not sloped, any water will not all run off towards my plot.

(I hope everyone is happy with the resized pictures prior to upload?)

Freelance Astronaut
    Last Online
    And here are a few of the wall line between the two plots...

its almost imperceptible in these now small photos (!) but the sharp eyed amongst you will notice that my plot is very slightly higher than hers.

Freelance Astronaut
    Last Online
    ...and here's our plot after the rains -

...held up pretty well I think.

Last Online
    @
    Might have missed it, but did you get drainage culverts installed? Or plan to install?

IN the space between the land and the road.

Freelance Astronaut
    Last Online
    Quote Originally Posted by Slick View Post
    Might have missed it, but did you get drainage culverts installed? Or plan to install?

IN the space between the land and the road.
    Hi Slick, well... now that she n I have both raised our plots, water run-off will tend towards the lower ground (i think). That being said, no harm in 'assisting ' it.

We will of course be walling all round the plot (she is too, apparently), so I will have run off water escape routes in the walls on all sides of the wall APART from the wall between the two plots. I obviously don't want 'her' water coming into my plot!

On that roadside outside where my wall will go, i thought to create a shallow depression in the verge to channel any run off down past me and lower, where it naturally crosses the road and flows into the farm land on the opposite side.

So.. short answer no, not yet but will do once we are all onsite and 'constructin'...

Last Online
    @
    Probably should ave been thought about but considering she isn't doing it, its pointless for you to do it at this time. But in a few years when its all homes, where is the water gonna go if there aren't any ditches on either side of the road like there usually are.

The road is your best option but it won't be if there isn't any drainage and theres homes on both sides and behind your place as well.

Now that its being built, expect more people to start doing the same. You just increased everyones property value.

Last Online
    Today @ 07:05 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Thai Dhupp
    On that roadside outside where my wall will go, i thought to create a shallow depression in the verge to channel any run off down past me and lower, where it naturally crosses the road and flows into the farm land on the opposite side.
    About all you can do in near term. As the houses go in the district office "should" put in culverts along side the road. Note "should".

Freelance Astronaut
    Last Online
    Probably should ave been thought about but considering she isn't doing it, its pointless for you to do it at this time. But in a few years when its all homes, where is the water gonna go if there aren't any ditches on either side of the road like there usually are.

The road is your best option but it won't be if there isn't any drainage and theres homes on both sides and behind your place as well.

Now that its being built, expect more people to start doing the same. You just increased everyone's property value.
    luckily...I OWN the large plot (plot 1) behind our plot 2!

Also we heard that later the road will be upgraded to include drainage.

Its interesting that so many pieces of land have been bought around here yet not one has started any building work. Were they ALL waiting for the farang!? lol

Last Online
    @
    Probably been mentioned I'm sure, but how many Aircons do you plan to have?

Im eying that power supply. Im in my third home where its been a huge issue with voltage. Sometimes its OK and other times? Someone building a home on that same line strikes the arc of a welder and stuff gets dim.

House I'm in now, the compressors wouldn't even spin hard enough to actually cool. They changed our line to a less used one and solved the problem, but FYI, just a heads up.

Quote Originally Posted by Norton
    "should"
    Possibly, if it causes enough problems

Freelance Astronaut
    Last Online
    Quote Originally Posted by Norton View Post
    About all you can do in near term. As the houses go in the district office "should" put in culverts along side the road. Note "should".
    Hi Norton... yep thats what we heard, so hopefully 'should will become 'has'!

Last Online
    Its interesting that so many pieces of land have been bought around here yet not one has started any building work. Were they ALL waiting for the farang!? lol
    Often land in growth area provinces near Bangkok are snapped up quickly by monied speculators. Farang or Thai building as Slick said will increase value. Not a bad investment.

Last Online
    @
    Were they ALL waiting for the farang!?
    Dude I literally had the same problem on my first build. I was the first to buy a plot (2 Chanotes X 1 Gnaan each) at a price the locals perceived as a bit expensive.

Within a year there were 7 homes on the little street.

Absolutely they wait and jump at the opportunity to start.

Edit:

Before anyone gets snappy, the wife bought it all.

Last Online
    25-05-2022 @ 02:56 AM
    After we purchase our land in Chiang Mai our neighbor to the left offered to sale us his land, "thanks but no thanks," and our neighbor to the right built a small road side restaurant which failed to take off and we're still waiting to build. Wonder what will happen when they start seeing me on the land next year doing the landscaping?

Freelance Astronaut
    Last Online
    Probably been mentioned I'm sure, but how many Aircons do you plan to have?

Im eying that power supply. Im in my third home where its been a huge issue with voltage. Sometimes its OK and other times? Someone building a home on that same line strikes the arc of a welder and stuff gets dim.

House I'm in now, the compressors wouldn't even spin hard enough to actually cool. They changed our line to a less used one and solved the problem, but FYI, just a heads up.

"should"
    Possibly, if it causes enough problems
    Hi Slick, could not answer straight away as the day work was pushing...

..anyway...A/C all over - probably every major room apart from the Buddha room will have unit or units. For power conservation that was one of the reasons we opted for constructing with Q-con or similar, and for maxing the heat reduction/removal in the roof space, plus the higher ceilings in the living and bedrooms on the first floor. also things like low energy lighting, induction cooking not ceramic or gas (inefficient and heat up a lot of air).

What else can we do?! The supply is the supply... I will try to secure the biggest available which fits my future needs (stage 1, 2 and 3 of the build, plus out door requirements, and pool) but even supposing i got 100% of what i want, if more houses are built later can't the power company just 'cut mine back' to allow those late arrivals a dribble of power or... do i secure my requirements first 'n they can make do with solar only, or a campfire n flaming torches (and a pedal driven TV).

Freelance Astronaut
    Last Online
    Often land in growth area provinces near Bangkok are snapped up quickly by monied speculators. Farang or Thai building as Slick said will increase value. Not a bad investment.
    Maybe we will score with a big money offer for plot 1 then!!

Freelance Astronaut
    Last Online
    Were they ALL waiting for the farang!?
    Dude I literally had the same problem on my first build. I was the first to buy a plot (2 Chanotes X 1 Gnaan each) at a price the locals perceived as a bit expensive.

Within a year there were 7 homes on the little street.

Absolutely they wait and jump at the opportunity to start.

Edit:

Before anyone gets snappy, the wife bought it all.
    lol - maybe I better build a shop then, to cater for the influx. I was thinking about this if I had purchased that adj plot.

Freelance Astronaut
    Last Online
    Quote Originally Posted by runker View Post
    After we purchase our land in Chiang Mai our neighbor to the left offered to sale us his land, "thanks but no thanks," and our neighbor to the right built a small road side restaurant which failed to take off and we're still waiting to build. Wonder what will happen when they start seeing me on the land next year doing the landscaping?
    Hey Runker...I hope they did not build that restaurant purely on the basis that you only bought your land!? were they expecting you to fund the building team with food and drink all through your construction, and then you not bothering with a kitchen n eating 3 times a day with them!?

lol that really is speculation....

Last Online
    @
    What else can we do?! The supply is the supply... I will try to secure the biggest available which fits my future needs (stage 1, 2 and 3 of the build, plus out door requirements, and pool) but even supposing i got 100% of what i want, if more houses are built later can't the power company just 'cut mine back' to allow those late arrivals a dribble of power or... do i secure my requirements first 'n they can make do with solar only, or a campfire n flaming torches (and a pedal driven TV).
    Lol it won't matter what size "supply" you get (meter) because that isn't your "power limit" it's just a means to measure consumption. It's a pain in the ass but you'll get what you get. Even if you get a large meter, if the supply is low then it's low. You can request a large meter, but again that isn't a "power limit" it's just a means to measure consumption and they have different ones calibrated for different ranges. That's all.

We had this problem, it was real bad. We fought with the PEA for ages and filled out paper work with "head office" and finally after about 9 months they extended the 3 phase power all the way up the road which solved the power problem.

Was so bad I could only run 1 Aircon at a time + all other mandatory things like fridge & tv etc... I had 4 aircons installed.

I was on a 15/45 meter and it didn't matter. On bad days I would only get 185 volts to the house.

Anywho you might not have a problem, but it seems like an aggravating one I've encountered a lot due to me being spoiled and must have a climate controlled house & stuff.

Freelance Astronaut
    Last Online
    Lol it won't matter what size "supply" you get (meter) because that isn't your "power limit" it's just a means to measure consumption. It's a pain in the ass but you'll get what you get. Even if you get a large meter, if the supply is low then it's low. You can request a large meter, but again that isn't a "power limit" it's just a means to measure consumption and they have different ones calibrated for different ranges. That's all.

We had this problem, it was real bad. We fought with the PEA for ages and filled out paper work with "head office" and finally after about 9 months they extended the 3 phase power all the way up the road which solved the power problem.

Was so bad I could only run 1 Aircon at a time + all other mandatory things like fridge & tv etc... I had 4 aircons installed.

I was on a 15/45 meter and it didn't matter. On bad days I would only get 185 volts to the house.

Anywho you might not have a problem, but it seems like an aggravating one I've encountered a lot due to me being spoiled and must have a climate controlled house & stuff.
    LOL... You can be sure that, if there's a problem to be had, I will have it!

Last Online
    You can be sure that, if there's a problem to be had, I will have it!
    Won't elliminate possibility of future power probs but do a power consumption assessment of your needs and take it to PEA. They can tell you what is there now and if enough to meet your needs. If not they will (should) get you sorted with power you need. PEA like many gov offices vary by district. So far the one here has been excellent.
    "Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect,"

Freelance Astronaut
    Last Online
    oK... A few prices have started to come in now. While I'm not giving a blow by blow account of all the costs, I will share some with you all.

First one was 4m for stage 1. This was some farang operation aimed at me, so now we have a base line. Second tentative quote was one Thai to another for labour only...400k for part 1, so we have literally both ends of the scale. We are pursuing him for a whole build cost too with breakdown so that we can take sections out as necessary and upgrade

However, of more immediate interest, mainly because it's the first thing we need to do, was the first quote for the piling.

Remember, we need it, the OrBorTor engineer confirmed it. 52 piles in total, but only 5-6m long. I thought he was a little unsure of the exact lengths though.

As luck would have it, there is a concrete company a mere 10km from the plot. He produces standard and custom piles, and of course they have all the equipment to place and finish the work. They also produce planks so we have the flooring local to us too

Anyway, 52 piles at 6m, differing dimensions, placed, excavations carried out, cropping and pile cap cast....132k.you can all shoot me down, but...I did not think that was too bad?

My concern was not that cost, it was the pile length. As we are relying more on end bearing not friction bearing, if those piles are a bit short it could Affect things.

So I got PJ to enquire the additional cost of the piles were 8m not 6m. An additional 15k only! Since we can crop 0.5m or 2m the same I will opt for those longer piles to make sure we make contact with the supporting strata.

Anyway. Thas the plan, what did I miss!?

Freelance Astronaut
    Last Online
    You can be sure that, if there's a problem to be had, I will have it!
    Won't elliminate possibility of future power probs but do a power consumption assessment of your needs and take it to PEA. They can tell you what is there now and if enough to meet your needs. If not they will (should) get you sorted with power you need. PEA like many gov offices vary by district. So far the one here has been excellent.
    Hi Norton...I have this already from when I was considering the 'solar option'! Good idea... PJ can take it to them the next time she's venturing out.

Last Online
    Also check with local ToT to find out if/when they will have fibre at your location. All this stuff part of getting ready.

Last Online
    18-07-2020 @ 11:25 PM
    I much prefer getting a tiny island, and not having to have neighbours.

Last Online
    @
    Man, If I walked into the PEA office here my location and asked them if there was enough to supply a 15 (45) or 30(100) meter, they would either look at me like I was crazy, or leisurely send a crew out to poke around & declare it no problem without actually 'checking' anything really.

My experience has been the opposite of excellent. Its basically been "this is what you get" nothing we can do. Im actually dealing with it right as I site here writing this. Power dims so much when these dicks strike an arch that my AC's are barely working.

2 18K Mitsubishi units running & TV, Fridge, computers etc... They say there is nothing they can do until the "head office" approves whatever solution they have in mind. Assuming its bringing 3 phase farther down the main road.

But it couldn't hurt to try & see what they say

Rant over

Page 13 of 125 FirstFirst ... 3567891011121314151617181920212363113 ... LastLast

Thread Information