Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Touring Taiwan

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    Tainan was a city where there were lots of Filipinos - most of them work in factories. Almost everywhere I turned, I heard Tagalog being spoken. Since it was a Sunday and their day-off, most Pinoys were roaming the city and meeting friends. Those brown guys at the bus station are Pinoys.

During my walk to the Confucius shrine, I saw a Catholic church. It was closed, so I didn't visit. Lo and behold, more Pinoys, taking selfies. No side comments abt the church, please - respect, live and let live.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    Random intersection

Some signposts - you won't get lost

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    National Museum of Taiwanese Literature

(from the brochure)
    Built in 1916, this museum was the Old Tainan Joint Government Offices and is now the Preparatory Office of the National Headquarters of Taiwan Traditional Arts. It is the first national literature museum in Taiwan. Besides collecting, preserving and researching literary works, the Museum also hopes to let the public learn more about literature through exhibitions, activities, and continuing education courses.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    Around 200 m from the Museum, you'll get to the Confucius Temple. By this time, it was past noon, very hot, and I was already a bit templed out. So I didn't pay the 50 ntd entrance fee, and I just took photos of the exterior and gardens.

Temple Interior... photo taken from the doorway

surrounding gardens

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    Tainan Confucius Temple (from the brochure)

It is the first temple in Taiwan which pays homage to Confucius, the greatest teacher in the world. In the Ming Dynasty, Yong-Hua Chen, Koxinga's chief counselor, advised to build the temple. The Temple, run by the government, was also the first and highest acadamy in Taiwan teaching Confucianism during the Ming and Ching dynasties. One of the most important commemorative rituals to be done during the Confucius Cultural Festival held during Teacher's Day is celebrating Confucius' birthday.

On an adjacent street, there was a touristy Walking street, with food & other stuff. I saw a malnourished Pooh and his minion.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    I tried to take a pic of the side gate, but this gal got in the way.

Please DO NOT QUOTE this post!

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    The Koxinga shrine was near the Confucius Temple, so I wandered and had a look.

Inside the shrine

A Cockless Wonder
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:18 PM
    ^^nice rack Katie!

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    Koxinga Shrine (from the inscription on the wall)

It is the most representative of Taiwan temples dedicated to Koxinga, or Zheng Cheng gong, and is also the only Koxinga temple built by the official administration.

The grounds were nice...

Dragons are important in Chinese culture. They're on top of temples, in ponds, etc.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    @looper - what kinda rack, shoe rack, dish rack, fire-cRack-er, rack-eteer? Heh....

(Thanks... I guess? Heh)

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    There was a temple near the Koxinga shrine, but as I was templed out and it was so hot, I didn't go inside anymore. Just took a pic, then walked back to my hotel.

Tainan hospital was along the way

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    In the late afternoon, I forced myself to go out again and be touristy.

Chihkan Tower (from the brochure) - 50 ntd entrance fee, I didn't go in

Built by the Dutch in 1653, the Tower was once known as "Fort Provinta", and the Han people also called it Chihkan Tower or Red Haired Tower. (note: they called the Dutch the red-haired people) The tower's walls, made of red bricks, are adhered by a specially designed cement mixture, made of sticky rice, sugared water and oyster shell cement; thereby the Tower withstands time. When there are examinations, students come here and pray to Kuei Xin Ye, the god who guards students, for good grades.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    These two temples were nearby: Sacrificial Rites Martial temple & Grand Matsu temple.

Sacrificial Rites Martial Temple

from the brochure:
    Built in 1665, this is the only Martial Temple in Taiwan with sacrificial rites worshiping Guan Di Ye, or the so-called Great Emperor Guan temple. Visitors can see plenty of cultural artifacts in the Temple. Among them, there is a tablet which reads "Wan Shi Ren Ji" which suggests that Guan Di Ye is the people's role model and shows how highly he is respected. Visitors pray earnestly and take a string of red thread away when leaving the temple and they shall have their wishes come true.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    Nearby was the Grand Matsu/Mazu Temple

from the brochure:
    Built in 1665, the temple is the first Mazu temple named as Queen of Heaven in Taiwan. The temple is over 300 years and it keeps the architechtural essence of the Ming Dynasty, which makes it worth visiting. Besides, Yue Lao, the god who guards lovers, is also worshipped in the temple and he is highly respected by people. Many come here and pray for finding a match. Just look at the gifts that are presented to Yue Lao by people who find their "other half" and you will see what kind of position that Yue Lao has in peoples' minds.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    After all those temples, I was definitely templed out, and returned to my hotel. I didn't see stray cats along the way, but I did see some cute & fluffy dogs. This was one of them.

I decided to have take-away soup and a simple dinner in my room. I also had a slight headache by then and I wanted some quiet time.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    Day 2 of Tainan, I decided to go to the Anping district, which is nearer to the coast and the older, historical part. The pics from Day 1 were taken from the buildings near the city center. To go to Anping, you could take Bus no. 2, 88 or 99, or a taxi. As I was in the bus, I saw the YMCA building.

Terry, this is for you again! It's fun to stay at the Y-M-C-A!

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    My first stop for the day was Anping Fort. (50 ntd entrance fee for adults)

Anping Fort (from brochure)

In the early 17th century, Dutch military-business alliance troups conquered current-day Anping in 1624 and built Fort Zeelandia as a defense base. The construction was completed in 1634. In 1662, the 16th year of Emperor Yongli's reign during the Ming dynasty, after Koxinga (Zheng Cheng Gong) seized Fort Zeelandia, he renamed it as Anping Township, and turned the inner fort into government offices. The Taiwanese hence called it the Imperial City During the Qing/Ching dynasty the Bay of Taijiang was becoming silted and Anping Township lost its importance. With the Ching army demolishing Fort Zeelandia to build the Eternal Golden Castle, it was gradually abandoned. Fort Zeelandia was rebuit after the Japanese occupation, and renamed as "Anping Fort" after Taiwan's retrocession.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    Saw a group of Western tourists upon my entry

It was a Monday, and there was a group of school kids on tour.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    It was so hot and after touring the place, it was time for ice cream.

While eating my ice cream, I saw this Chinese group come in.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    I was already a bit camera-weary by then, so I went to only one other place, the Anping Tree House/Tait & Co. house. Entrance fee: 50 ntd for adults.

Anping Tree House is called as such because of the banyan trees. The roots grew and took over the house, which served as a warehouse for Tait & Co. (a British company). Note: it reminds me of the trees' roots in the temples of Angkor Wat in Cambodia.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    Tait & Co. house. (from the brochure) James Tait was a British merchant who engaged in the tea export business, insurance and banking.

They converted the house into a museum.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    There's also a sky bridge, from where you can view the Tree House, as well as cross a pond to view the Tainan canal, which leads to the sea.

There's a ramp at the end of the sky bridge. I just sat there & chilled. The wind was refreshing.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    From the ramp, you can see some cyclists and the Tainan canal. That area was a port before, but after the port ceased to be used, they planted mangrove trees in the vicinity and let nature run its course.

From another vantage point, you'll see a water wheel (and have your pic taken).

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    Still part of the Tainan canal

Tainan at night

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    The next day, it was off to Taoyuan, the city where the airport is. Taoyuan train station.

Still a part of Taoyuan station

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread Information