Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Last Online
    @

Chinese survey boats arrive in Chiang Rai to resume survey of Mekong river

Seven Chinese survey vessels have arrived in Chiang Rai province from southern province of Yunnan reportedly to resume survey of the Mekong river as an integral part of the project to expand river navigation from southern China downstream to Myanmar, Thailand and Laos.

Chief of the Chinese survey team, Mr Lieu Jian, said the team would survey 15 points in the Mekong river from the Golden Triangle in Chiang Saen district downstream to Wiang Kaen district. The entire task would take 55 days.

CCC Second Harbour Consultant of Yunnan was commissioned to undertake the survey, using three big vessels and four smaller boats.

Chief of the Mekong river task force Cholathai Rattanaruang said the Navy and officials from the Marine Department would monitor the operations of the Chinese vessels to ensure that they abide by conditions specified in the agreement.

But environmental groups in Chiang Rai such as the Hak Chiang Khong group are opposed to the Mekong river navigation project for fear that rapids in the river which are the traditional habitat for fish will be blasted to expand the river navigation lane.

The survey will focus on four aspects namely hydrology which covers river channel, current speed and depth of the river; geological aspect which covers rapids, islets and topography; engineering and environmental aspects.

Chinese survey boats arrive in Chiang Rai to resume survey of Mekong river - Thai PBS English News

R.I.P.
    Last Online
    15-11-2020 @ 07:58 PM
    Interesting. I shall go and have a look today.

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:08 PM
    Chinese survey boats arrive in Chiang Rai to resume blowing up islands in the Mekong river

There fixed that for you?

R.I.P.
    Last Online
    Just got back from Chiang Saen and the first thing to point out is that the survey vessels (if that's what they are) in the photo are no longer on display in main Chiang Saen but are, allegedly moored up in the new international port down river and punters are not allowed near them.

So, a bit of a wasted trip really but the about to be fostered grand child enjoyed the ice creams.

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:21 PM
    I'm surprised the Chinese have seven survey vessels spare, what with the SCS needing mapping.

Looks like a few hundred marines under the boats tarpaulin and a missile launcher further back.

Custom Title Changer
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:28 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by crackerjack101
    So, a bit of a wasted trip really but the about to be fostered grand child enjoyed the ice creams.
    Ya'll do well with the little one....

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    Quote Originally Posted by OhOh View Post
    I'm surprised the Chinese have seven survey vessels spare, what with the SCS needing mapping.

Looks like a few hundred marines under the boats tarpaulin and a missile launcher further back.
    Clever and manipulating PR.
    Presenting themselves benevolent and altruistic as such applies to the region.

Wonder how many are buying into it.

Custom Title Changer
    Last Online
    Quote Originally Posted by thaimeme
    Clever and manipulating PR.
    Presenting themselves benevolent and altruistic as such applies to the region.

Wonder how many are buying into it.
    Buying into what?

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    31-10-2018 @ 04:29 PM
    China owns the gift shop so needs a fast flowing river to deliver its gifts to Burma, Thailand and Laos. Why is this in the Thai news I here you say? To show off to the world especially America that the Junta is in bed with China now! China's our friend so all you talk of human rights UN bs you can shove up Trumps bum. Thailand is big buddies with China and Russia, so there!

Custom Title Changer
    Last Online
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilsonandson
    China owns the gift shop so needs a fast flowing river to deliver its gifts to Burma, Thailand and Laos. Why is this in the Thai news I here you say? To show off to the world especially America that the Junta is in bed with China now! China's our friend so all you talk of human rights UN bs you can shove up Trumps bum. Thailand is big buddies with China and Russia, so there!
    You're on drugs, right? Perhaps a review of a map of the Mekong river might be in order....

R.I.P.
    Last Online
    Quote Originally Posted by CSFFan View Post
    You're on drugs, right? Perhaps a review of a map of the Mekong river might be in order....
    Indeed.

Last Online
    Quote Originally Posted by CSFFan
    You're on drugs, right?
    Everybody has some drug daily, it makes life bearable.

Last Online
    @
    Quote Originally Posted by CSFFan View Post

Last Online
    Nice map, will CSFFan be showing his map soon?

Here's mine.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    Quote Originally Posted by CSFFan
    You're on drugs, right?
    Everybody has some drug daily, it makes life bearable.
    Too many are absorbed in the usual mind manipulating stimulant of the dominant paradigm, which is comforting and quite sufficient.

Last Online
    Quote Originally Posted by thaimeme
    dominant
    ? x 5

Last Online
    @
    Chinese drilling vessel surveys Mekong River

CHIANG RAI, 28 April 2017 (NNT) - Thai officials have been monitoring a Chinese vessel that has been surveying the Mekong River, according to a bilateral agreement on maritime commerce.

The Chinese drilling vessel, which belongs to CCCC Second Harbor Consultant Co Ltd, was commissioned by the Chinese government to conduct a 55-day survey of a 96-kilometer stretch of the Mekong River. The river section begins at Chiang Saen district and ends at Wiang Kaen district in Chiang Rai province.

Suranat Sirichok, Acting Director of the Regional Marine Office in Chiang Rai, affirmed that the vessel is only conducting surveys of the area and will not commence any drilling or demolition.

http://nwnt.prd.go.th/CenterWeb/News....GPhHPlyK.dpuf

Last Online
    @
    Local activists protest against Mekong survey

More than 30 local activists Friday held a peaceful protest against the survey operation for the Mekong River Navigation Channel Improvement Project at Pha Phra in Chiang Rai’s Chiang Khong District.

A Chinese survey team has began work on the Mekong River between Thailand and Laos last week. However, the local environmentalist group “Rak Chiang Khong” staged the demonstration to show their objection to the navigation channel improvement project on the river.

Protesters at Pha Phra were mostly young people. They held picket signs written in Thai, English, and Chinese asking for the cancellation of the project.

Jirasak Inthayot, the coordinator for Rak Chiang Khong, said that local people had gathered to express their demands that the project should be halted, as there will be many negative impacts to the river and to their livelihood.

“We still insist on our demand that the survey cannot justify the reason [for the project]. We urge that the Chinese team must conduct the impact assessment on the first phase of the project to clarify the real impact of this project to the river,” Jirasak said.

It was reported that the Chinese survey ships were operating in Chiang Saen District and still did not cross into the major rapids in Mekong River Khon Phee Lhong In Chiang Khong District.

Local activists protest against Mekong survey

Last Online
    Quote Originally Posted by misskit
    A Chinese survey team has began work on the Mekong River between Thailand and Laos last week. However, the local environmentalist group “Rak Chiang Khong” staged the demonstration to show their objection to the navigation channel improvement project on the river.
    Is it at all possible that the work the survey ships do may lead to the descision that the project will not go ahead? Wouldn't it be more appropriate to engage with the surveyors and monitor them surveying and verifying the results?

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    Is it at all possible that the work the survey ships do may lead to the descision that the project will not go ahead? Wouldn't it be more appropriate to engage with the surveyors and monitor them surveying and verifying the results?
    Kudos for the prospective rosy scenario and lovely sentiment, but historical logic might dictate that the more powerful foreign entity will proceed as they wish, regardless of consequences to others or what's fair and right.

The controlling powers have been engaged in such activities forever and continue to this day.

R.I.P.
    Last Online
    Is it at all possible that the work the survey ships do may lead to the decision that the project will not go ahead? Wouldn't it be more appropriate to engage with the surveyors and monitor them surveying and verifying the results?

As an objective observer let me point out a few objective observations.

1. 4-5 years before the new Friendship Bridge opened land was being bought up all around our area. It's now ridiculously expensive.

2. About 4 years ago work started on reinforcing the banks of the river. Most thought this was a good idea as flooding and landslides were a problem when the Chinese opened up the damns and the river level increased dramatically. When this combined with heavy rainfall the problem got quite serious in places so good job. Various villages would be protected.

But, nobody expected the extraordinary construction that has been done and continues to be done For mile after mile they have constructed massive walls of rock and then back filled it. Paved over the top, installed stainless steel railings and eventually one will be able to walk, cycle or even drive some 40 + Km of river bank from before Chiang Kong down to where the river becomes fully Laos.
    This has cost billions but no one I've spoken to can tell me who's paid for it.
    The locals certainly appreciated the original proposal to safeguard their villages but are now more than a little dismayed at the extent of the development. Hoses and shops, small businesses and enterprise have been demolished and apparently the compensation is minimal. Interestingly various folk commented that the compensation was irrelevan. What they wanted was to continue their lives as their forebears had done. They were seriously concerned about the effects on the river which, in their own way, they see as sacred.

3. Resorts, holiday camps and short stay accommodation has sprung up like mushrooms all along the river. Some of them are simple, some are quite extravagant but the point is that folk obviously assume that at some time in the near future large vessels will be using the river for tours and cruises and they're all going to make shed loads of money from the river born tourists. These tourist are unlikely to be local folk and I think it's fair to imagine that the majority will be Chinese.
    I spoke with the owner of one of the new resorts and he's expecting to accommodate 200+ guests at a time. That is 200 guests off one vessel.

This means much larger vessels and not the old slow boats that have been doing the job to date.

Someone more informed can tell us the tonnage of a cruiser carrying 200+ people.

So, my point is that this has been well thought out quite a few years ago.
    Those in the know have done their deals and made their money and the river will be opened up to much larger vessels regardless of the effect upon the local folk, the ecology or the wild life.

It's a done deal, mate and no amount of protesting is going to change it.
    The river and its inhabitants, both human and aquatic will just have to learn how to live or die with it.

By the way, I'm not wearing an aluminium hat and I don't proscribe to conspiracy theories I simply report what I've observed.

Cheers
    Last edited by crackerjack101; 30-04-2017 at 06:43 PM.

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:08 PM
    We saw a very large diner cruise type vessel in the Chao Phraya a week ago, from a riverside restaurant. None of the twenty or so had ever seen it or anything like it before.

So it is not just where you are!

R.I.P.
    Last Online
    First survey boat spotted near our place this afternoon.
    About 20 km down river from Chiang Kong.
    To quote our elderly neighbour "where's the gun?"

god
    Last Online
    @
    Nam Kok river confluence to Nam Kong (Mekong) is where the boats are.

R.I.P.
    Last Online
    Quote Originally Posted by ENT View Post
    Nam Kok river confluence to Nam Kong (Mekong) is where the boats are.
    If you're referring to the Chinese survey boats you might be right some of them may be there but the one seen today was seen from the viewpoint at Pak Ing, 10-15 km down river from Chiang Kong.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information