Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @

Ancient Comet struck Earth 11,000 BCE?

Very interesting. Any members have any other info?

Ancient stone carvings confirm how comet struck Earth in 10,950BC, sparking the rise of civilisations

Sarah Knapton, science editor
    21 APRIL 2017
    Ancient stone carvings confirm that a comet struck the Earth around 11,000BC, a devastating event which wiped out wooly mammoths and sparked the rise of civilisations.

Experts at the University of Edinburgh analysed mysterious symbols carved onto stone pillars at Gobekli Tepe in southern Turkey, to find out if they could be linked to constellations.

The markings suggest that a swarm of comet fragments hit Earth at the exact same time that a mini-ice age struck, changing the entire course of human history.

Scientists have speculated for decades that a comet could be behind the sudden fall in temperature during a period known as the Younger Dryas.
    But recently the theory appeared to have been debunked by new dating of meteor craters in North America where the comet is thought to have struck.

However, when engineers studied animal carvings made on a pillar – known as the vulture stone – at Gobekli Tepe they discovered that the creatures were actually astronomical symbols which represented constellations and the comet.

The idea had been originally put forward by author Graham Hancock in his book Magicians of the Gods.

Using a computer programme to show where the constellations would have appeared above Turkey thousands of years ago, they were able to pinpoint the comet strike to 10,950BC, the exact time the Younger Dryas begins according to ice core data from Greenland.

The Younger Dryas is viewed as a crucial period for humanity, as it roughly coincides with the emergence of agriculture and the first Neolithic civilisations.

Before the strike, vast areas of wild wheat and barley had allowed nomadic hunters in the Middle East to establish permanent base camps. But the difficult climate conditions following the impact forced communities to come together and work out new ways of maintaining the crops, through watering and selective breeding. Thus farming began, allowing the rise of the first towns.

Edinburgh researchers said the carvings appear to have remained important to the people of Gobekli Tepe for millennia, suggesting that the event and cold climate that followed likely had a very serious impact.

Dr Martin Sweatman, of the University of Edinburgh’s School of Engineering, who led the research, said: "I think this research, along with the recent finding of a widespread platinum anomaly across the North American continent virtually seal the case in favour of (a Younger Dryas comet impact).

"Our work serves to reinforce that physical evidence. What is happening here is the process of paradigm change.

"It appears Göbekli Tepe was, among other things, an observatory for monitoring the night sky.

“One of its pillars seems to have served as a memorial to this devastating event – probably the worst day in history since the end of the ice age.”

Gobekli Tepe, is thought to be the world's oldest temple site, which dates from around 9,000BC, predating Stonehenge by around 6,000 years.

Researchers believe the images were intended as a record of the cataclysmic event, and that a further carving showing a headless man may indicate human disaster and extensive loss of life.

'This is what universe used to look like'

Symbolism on the pillars also indicates that the long-term changes in Earth’s rotational axis was recorded at this time using an early form of writing, and that Gobekli Tepe was an observatory for meteors and comets.

The finding also supports a theory that Earth is likely to experience periods when comet strikes are more likely, owing to the planet’s orbit intersecting orbiting rings of comet fragments in space.

But despite the ancient age of the pillars, Dr Sweatman does not believe it is the earliest example of astronomy in the archaeological record.

"Many paleolithic cave paintings and artefacts with similar animal symbols and other repeated symbols suggest astronomy could be very ancient indeed," he said.

"If you consider that, according to astronomers, this giant comet probably arrived in the inner solar system some 20 to 30 thousand years ago, and it would have been a very visible and dominant feature of the night sky, it is hard to see how ancient people could have ignored this given the likely consequences."

The research is published in Mediterranean Archaeology and Archaeometry.

Ancient stone carvings confirm how comet struck Earth in 10,950BC, sparking the rise of civilisations

R.I.P.
    Last Online
    15-11-2020 @ 07:58 PM
    Is it April 1 ?

R.I.P.
    Last Online
    @
    Quote Originally Posted by crackerjack101 View Post
    Is it April 1 ?
    Nope. The theory is not new. The original article, the pearl which the mass-media extracted, shat on, and cast before swine, is here http://maajournal.com/Issues/2017/Vo...017%281%29.pdf

It's quite interesting.

Last Online
    @
    Andrew Collins wrote about it too.

https://www.amazon.com/Gobekli-Tepe-.../dp/1591431425

Brief review from Amazon:

Göbekli Tepe: Genesis of the Gods by Andrew Collins is a comprehensive interpretation of the oldest advanced temple complex on Earth. Like Pompeii emerging from volcanic ash in 1599, Göbekli Tepe’s last moments were preserved by back-fill 10,000 years ago that totally preserved it as a museum of early prehistory. The extraordinary raised reliefs, pictograms, and pillars—many over twenty-feet tall and weighing many tons—tell the story of a forgotten culture from 11,500 years ago. World-renowned for his explorations of the prehistoric Middle East, Collins weaves together archeological, anthropological, astronomical, and spiritual aspects of Göbekli Tepe. His insights of Paleolithic sky-to-Earth cultic practices open our minds to Eden in the early Neolithic. In my own books, I have theorized that a series of cataclysms around 13,000 to11,500 years ago devastated Earth and traumatized our ancestors. Collin’s insights into this ancient site constructed by humans who were most likely recovering from post-cataclysmic trauma are compelling. This clear and correct interpretation of Göbekli Tepe offers even more! He draws our minds even deeper back 17,000 years to the Solutrean phase to describe human cultural development before the cultural regression. Göbekli Tepe awakens ancient memory to process deeply hidden trauma, from the past because it is a faithful and accurate depiction of the Paleolithic advanced culture. A must-read for anybody who wants to know the real story before “history” began.” (Barbara Hand Clow, author of Awakening the Planetary Mind: Beyond the Trauma of the Past to a New Er)

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    Thanks for the info B0b and SKkin.

R.I.P.
    Last Online
    @
    Quote Originally Posted by Cold Pizza View Post
    For me the really fascinating thing is not the disaster story, although that is fascinating and clearly the foundation of many of our myths, it's the sheer age of this civilisation/urban living. When I first read about this urban settlement I was overwhelmed, this is at least 5000 years before anything I ever knew of as urban settlement. Who were these people? Looking at the latest research they were living in cities by 11,000 BC. I find that absolutely mind-blowing and a total game changer in a discipline which considers Sumerians and Egyptians to be the most ancient.

Milkman, an interesting thread. Are you ill?
    The Above Post May Contain Strong Language, Flashing Lights, or Violent Scenes.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    [QUOTE=DrB0b;3515456]
    Quote Originally Posted by Cold Pizza View Post
    For me the really fascinating thing is not the disaster story, although that is fascinating and clearly the foundation of many of our myths, it's the sheer age of this civilisation/urban living. When I first read about this urban settlement I was overwhelmed, this is at least 5000 years before anything I ever knew of as urban settlement. Who were these people? Looking at the latest research they were living in cities by 11,000 BC. I find that absolutely mind-blowing and a total game changer in a discipline which considers Sumerians and Egyptians to be the most ancient.[quote]

Cheers.

Milkman, an interesting thread. Are you ill?
    My Psychiatrist prescribed me a new medication: one pill per day to start an interesting thread.

I'm under strict supervision.

Last Online
    19-01-2018 @ 07:21 AM
    More things for me to research...This is very interesting...!!! Great post...!

Last Online
    27-03-2024 @ 05:25 AM
    What I find mind blowing is that our historians nowadays have trouble figuring out our history 80-200-300 years ago. Now these Wunderkinder at 9,000BC knew exactly what happened 2000 year before their time.

Ancient stone carvings confirm that a comet struck the Earth around 11,000BC
    Gobekli Tepe, is thought to be the world's oldest temple site, which dates from around 9,000BC

Maybe some sort of ancient USB Stick

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    Quote Originally Posted by HermantheGerman View Post
    What I find mind blowing is that our historians nowadays have trouble figuring out our history 80-200-300 years ago. Now these Wunderkinder at 9,000BC knew exactly what happened 2000 year before their time.
    And possibly re-writing history because of broken bones:

Anthropology

Could history of humans in North America be rewritten by broken bones?
    Smashed mastodon bones show humans arrived over 100,000 years earlier than previously thought say researchers, although other experts are sceptic

https://www.theguardian.com/science/...mastodon-bones

Last Online
    27-03-2024 @ 05:25 AM
    Exclusive here on TD

Interview with Fred Flinstone and Barney Rubble 9,000 BC (Summer Time EEST)

F: Hey Barney!
    B: What ?
    F: Did you hear what happened 2000 years ago today ?
    B: The Great Rockmarket crash ?
    F: Naah Dummy, a commet struck the earth.
    B: Realy, did it hit your head ?
    F: Noooo, the earth dummy. Alles kaputt ! (Fred was actually of german descent ) A devastating event

which wiped out wooly mammoths and sparked the rise of civilisations.
    B: Well, then let's chissel it down so that
    Graham Hancock can write about us 9,000 years later.
    F: Great idea Barney. Let me run off to Willma and tell her I won't be home for dinner the next few years.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    Wat Thafookhisit near to Wat Chamakhorlit
    Ancient stone carvings confirm that a comet struck the Earth around 11,000BC, a devastating event which wiped out wooly mammoths and sparked the rise of civilisations.
    Last few documentaries I've seen on tv over the last couple of years have stated that mommoths died out around around 4,000BC or 6000 years ago (or BC) due to hunters inadverdently killing the bull mammoths.
    Last edited by Gazza; 27-04-2017 at 06:44 PM.

Thread Information