Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst 12345678910111214 ... LastLast
    Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    12-11-2023 @ 04:38 PM
    ^

The electoral system that is in place in the UK only favours a choice between two candidates, a third or more really only acts as a spoiler for tactical voting.

I would really like to see a proportional representative system, which is what the Liberals always espoused in the past. But when they have had the opportunity to do something positive in that direction they have wasted it. I cannot believe their leaders are so dumb not to see they have only been used to prop up other governments till they have gotten into a position to hold another poll and get a majority without the Liberals help. They are an irrelevancy.

I'm a pain in the arse
    Last Online
    @
    The main reason for opposing that is constant hung parliaments.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    12-11-2023 @ 04:38 PM
    ^

Perhaps the politicians might have to learn to work together. With the current system there is a polarisation of policy - except when politicians like Blair pop up.

Thailand Expat

Last Online
    06-11-2022 @ 08:40 AM
    True, everyone hates Blair

Last Online
    @
    Quote Originally Posted by buriramboy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Begbie View Post
    The election was due in 2020. However May and her chums are well aware that the economy is moving towards recession and by that date they won't be popular. This is nothing to do with Brexit.
    Moving towards recession? You getting your economic forecasts from your tea leaves again?

The UK's economy is forecast to expand by 2% this year, stronger growth than any of the major developed economies apart from the US.
    Actually from a circular that HSBC send to their clients every month. Their view is the UK is heading down.

I'm puzzled as to why the Labour party supported the election motion in parliament. Like turkeys voting for Xmas as all the polls show they will get a hiding and lose a significant number of MP's. If they'd voted against then May wouldn't have got the 2/3 rds needed and would have had to raise a no confidence motion in her own government in order to start the election process. This is passed by a simple majority but would have painted her as extremely incompetent.

Lets not forget the 30 pending cases of election fraud which the police have passed to the prosecution services. This may have been one of the biggest factors as some of these MPs are heading to jail. Calling an election allows the individual MPs to be deselected and the Tory majority maintained.

god
    Last Online
    @
    Even better, as May's choice of 8th June is slap in the middle of Ramadan which runs from May 25 until June 25.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    20-08-2018 @ 01:32 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Begbie
    This may have been one of the biggest factors as some of these MPs are heading to jail. Calling an election allows the individual MPs to be deselected and the Tory majority maintained
    I don't really believe in democracy as it allows stupid people to have the same vote as I have.

god
    Last Online
    @
    The stupid one.

Last Online
    @
    Quote Originally Posted by Digby Fantona View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Begbie
    This may have been one of the biggest factors as some of these MPs are heading to jail. Calling an election allows the individual MPs to be deselected and the Tory majority maintained
    I don't really believe in democracy as it allows stupid people to have the same vote as I have.
    As in Groucho Marx's quote "I wouldn't want to join any club that would have me as a member".

Get your revenge by not voting.

Thailand Expat

Last Online
    Quote Originally Posted by ENT View Post
    Even better, as May's choice of 8th June is slap in the middle of Ramadan which runs from May 25 until June 25.
    who cares about them, they certainly don't care about the rest of us.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    I will be voting Conservative in order to give Mrs May a mandate for leaving the cesspit which is the EU. I don't want my life controlled by foreigners.

I realise that some poor, uneducated, ignorant people will vote differently but that is the cost one has to pay for democracy. Anyway, I will be backing a resounding winner and the Labour Party will be destroyed. This is good news for everybody.

Last Online
    @
    Quote Originally Posted by ENT View Post
    Why is that even remotely relevant?

R.I.P.
    Last Online
    @
    I will be voting Conservative in order to give Mrs May a mandate for leaving the cesspit which is the EU. I don't want my life controlled by foreigners.
    You should be used to it. You're Welsh, your lot have been controlled by foreigners from England since the 13th Century.

Quote Originally Posted by Digby Fantona
    it allows stupid people to have the same vote as I have
    Tautology.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    Quote Originally Posted by DrB0b
    You're Welsh, your lot have been controlled by foreigners from England since the 13th Century.
    Who said that I am Welsh ? I wasn't around in the 13th Century and can not possibly comment.

R.I.P.
    Last Online
    @
    You're Welsh, your lot have been controlled by foreigners from England since the 13th Century.
    Who said that I am Welsh ? I wasn't around in the 13th Century and can not possibly comment.
    Strange. Having no knowledge of something never stopped you commenting before.

Last Online
    Today @ 05:14 PM
    I will be voting Conservative in order to give Mrs May a mandate for leaving the cesspit which is the EU.
    51.9% to 48.1% vote to leave EU.
    MPs voted by 498 to 114 to invoke Article 50.

Looks a mandate to me.

Hope she doesn't think opposition will be silenced after an election or during the campaign. It won't. Riding on favorable polls atm sounds like May thinks a good time to gain a few seats but could lose a few and really throw a monkey wrench in her hard brexit strategy.

We'll know soon enough uf she blundered or made a shrewd stategic move by calling an election.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    Quote Originally Posted by Norton View Post
    I will be voting Conservative in order to give Mrs May a mandate for leaving the cesspit which is the EU.
    51.9% to 48.1% vote to leave EU.
    MPs voted by 498 to 114 to invoke Article 50.

Looks a mandate to me.

Hope she doesn't think opposition will be silenced after an election or during the campaign. It won't. Riding on favorable polls atm sounds like May thinks a good time to gain a few seats but could lose a few and really throw a monkey wrench in her hard brexit strategy.

We'll know soon enough uf she blundered or made a shrewd stategic move by calling an election.
    She needed my approval and I gave it freely. It will be a breeze from now on.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    16-07-2021 @ 10:31 PM
    I don't want my life controlled by foreigners.
    that's a very interesting perspective of the whole thing, and just reveal the petty mind behind the average villager on that island that you call England

We europeans don't see our European leaders as foreigners, Belgium, Germans, Italians, French, Spanish, all feels part of the same family and are certainly not stranger between themselves

funny how you English wankers can never fit anywhere or get along with anyone that doesn't have your small English village mentality

even the Americans think of you as an amusement of some kind

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly
    We europeans don't see our European leaders as foreigners, Belgium, Germans, Italians, French, Spanish, all feels part of the same family and are certainly not stranger between themselves
    You share your lives with many odd bedfellows. Do what you like but pay for it yourselves. We have given you far too much of our hard earned money and from now on you can pay for your own extravagances. You soon be crying like little babies when you have to bail out the Greeks, Spanish and Italians and those who were you loved ones today will be your greatest enemies tomorrow.

I am not English. I like wanking and have always liked wanking so I am not going to stop because some poxy foreign directive tells me to. And, I will go back to pounds and ounces, and pints and gallons . Bollocks to Europe and all its wogs. No sidewinding, bushwacking, hornswaggling, cracker crocker is going to ruin us.

god
    Last Online
    @
    You're English pretending to be Welsh....

Thailand Expat
    Last Online

Last Online
    @
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly
    We europeans don't see our European leaders as foreigners
    In fairness, it could be argued this is at least partly because Belgium is so utterly insignificant in every respect that there was no national identity to be subsumed into the EU in the first place.

Thus the process was rather straightforward.

Thailand Expat

Last Online
    Right, Belgium is a bigger shit hole than Thailand and not even as old. How many famous Belgians are there? what did Belgians ever invent, where was their Empire? oh yes the Congo, that went well ! It's a cold grey dump.

Last Online
    Today @ 05:14 PM
    I will go back to pounds and ounces, and pints and gallons
    Consider feet and yards as well. The US could use a 51st state. Close already given your "special" relationship.
    Could keep your NHS as it would be adopted by all the states. A good thing for all.
    We would let you keep the queen we like her but sorry only dead presidents on the money.
    Immigrants of a certain ilk not allowed so no worries.
    Just lifted silly rules in banking industry so a boon for UK.
    Taxes far lower in US.
    Big huge military. Would make Britain Great again.
    Automatic free interstate trade. No tariff. No pay to trade.
    You'd need a new state name of course. New York already taken. Perhaps just York would be good?
    York would have England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland as counties.
    With your 64 mil people you would have the most seats in congress plus the most electoral college votes. Think of the power!
    Sorry but house of lords has to go. You get 2 senators like all other states. No funny wigs allowed.
    Free to live, work or start a business in any US state. No passport needed. Such a great deal.
    You want a gun. No prob. Very good for you Brits as those pesky next door continentals are not to be trusted.
    All those American owned fast food restururants would no longer be foreign owned. Nor would Cadbury, Bass, ManU et al.

Win, win for all. Do it. Time to tell those Euros to fuck off.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    Quote Originally Posted by Norton
    Win, win for all. Do it. Time to tell those Euros to fuck off.
    Not going to join up with the Americans. They would be shooting us in under ten minutes. We are safe where we are.

Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst 12345678910111214 ... LastLast

Thread Information