Last Online
    @

Lots of counterfeit goods seized in March

BANGKOK, 20 April 2017 (NNT) – Relevant units are proceeding with the crackdown on intellectual property infringements, with over 30,000 illegal items seized across the country last month.

According to Director-General of the Department of Intellectual Property (DIP) Thosapone Dansuputra, the department in March coordinated with other related agencies, including the Royal Thai Police, the Department of Special Investigation, the Customs Department and businesses with ownership of IP rights, to arrest producers and vendors of counterfeit products.

Raids were conducted on major production facilities, most of which were located in Udon Thani, Songkhla and Sa Kaeo provinces, resulting in the apprehension of several suspects. A total of 37,953 items of IP-infringing products, worth altogether over 30 million baht, were seized, ranging from clothing and bags to electrical appliances and cosmetics.

http://nwnt.prd.go.th/CenterWeb/News....ycxGqegY.dpuf

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    31-10-2018 @ 04:29 PM
    This has more to do with status symbols I think. If any Tom, Dick or Harry can wear Adidas trainers, Levi jeans and a Lacoste polo top copies that look more or less real, how can the hi-so show off his rich status. They are upset that lo-so people are wearing the same designer clothes as them. Even the iphone case can be put onto a cheap phone to make it look real. So when I walk around my local shopping mall I can't tell who is hi-so and who is lo-so a big problem in Thai culture. As the hi-so wants to be treated with respect. Stopping the sale of copied designer clothes will help identify the rich people much easier so I can bow my head and be polite as they pass me by in the mall.

Last Online
    @
    Perhaps Thailand is trying to get off the US "Priority Watch List" in 2017.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilsonandson
    This has more to do with status symbols I think. If any Tom, Dick or Harry can wear Adidas trainers, Levi jeans and a Lacoste polo top copies that look more or less real, how can the hi-so show off his rich status. They are upset that lo-so people are wearing the same designer clothes as them. Even the iphone case can be put onto a cheap phone to make it look real. So when I walk around my local shopping mall I can't tell who is hi-so and who is lo-so a big problem in Thai culture. As the hi-so wants to be treated with respect. Stopping the sale of copied designer clothes will help identify the rich people much easier so I can bow my head and be polite as they pass me by in the mall.
    Its simply theft. You can write all the bullshit you want but its simply theft.. lol. Wilson the protector of the poor and oppressed..

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    31-10-2018 @ 04:29 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by aging one View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilsonandson
    Its simply theft. You can write all the bullshit you want but its simply theft.. lol. Wilson the protector of the poor and oppressed..
    Well in one way I'm happy the copying designer clothes black market is being controlled better because it means less sweat shops for the poor and underaged to slave in and stops the funding of dangerous underground Mafia gang's. But the designer clothes industry should also be strictly watched to see they don't abuse human rights in their sewing workshop's and factory floor's.

Last Online
    @
    It's all nice putting the world to rights on behalf of the poor lo-so's, but I very much doubt the real hi-so's give a fuck that they won't be distinguished from the counterfeit wearing scum.

I doubt any hi-so that gets annoyed with lo-so's wearing similar looking garments is real hiso at all.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    03-01-2022 @ 12:29 AM
    IMO it's more related to the tax-paying shops selling genuine items not happy about this...

As for theft, probably for affordable marks like Addidas, Nike, Levi's for whiches many people could save money in order to buy the real stuff , but not so for luxury goods a copy buyer might never be able to buy the real item so there is not real lost of revenue

And then there are also copies sold at genuine item price in the intended shops...

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    The end is near.....

Last Online
    @
    Quote Originally Posted by Farang Ky Ay
    And then there are also copies sold at genuine item price in the intended shops...
    Anyone that doesn't do his research prior to buying a supposed genuine brand deserves to be creamed.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    I often wonder what happens to all the items the police confiscate. Do they just burn them? What about all the motorbikes and vehicles that are not reclaimed?

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    03-01-2022 @ 12:29 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Pragmatic View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Farang Ky Ay
    Anyone that doesn't do his research prior to buying a supposed genuine brand deserves to be creamed.
    When going to a Levi store at Siam Paragon you don't expect to be flounced, I won't blame my friend for falling on this oneas the copy was really good (stitches, labels, fabric quality...) But a Levi store told him it was a copy because the stamps were missing on the reverse side of the front pockets, I think I would have been fooled on this one...

If it's to have copy passed on I'd rather pay the copy price than the genuine's one, at least I get what I paid for...

Thread Information