Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Last Online
    @
    Quote Originally Posted by rickschoppers
    The best thing is that electricity is dirt cheap here and I have no problem paying a few baht for comfort.
    Not ever going native here either.

No idea how others do it. Couldn't imagine trying to lay out on my pleather sofa with the PS4 when its 35 - 40c outside.

Ridiculous.

last farang standing
    Last Online
    15-03-2024 @ 01:44 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Slick
    I just checked into a hotel in BKK on way back to work.

Use the same hotel most of the time. Studio is 3200 baht right now.

Recently remodeled and they did something to the fucking aircons, seems like its locked out at 23. I put it on 16 and it stays at 23 room temp.

Never did this before and even changed rooms. Still wants to sit at 23.

Just got done adjusting the vents so they blow on me while I'm in bed.

Fucking crisis I tell ya. 3200 baht and they decided what aircon temp I will have? Nah.
    [at] [at]
    Some can lock the thermostat and you need a code to unlock. 23°C is considered the optimum temperature to power consumption so that may be reason the temperature is locked at 23°C. If you have a remote some can be unlocked and reset by pushing the up and down key simultaneously.

Last Online
    @
    Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Cow
    If you have a remote some can be unlocked and reset by pushing the up and down key simultaneously.
    Nah its a wall mount thermostat & central unit.

The 'engineer' told me that there was an 'upgrade' to the 'computer downstair' and that he would see if he could make it colder for me. Nothing happened.

I used to specifically choose this place because the aircon would get COLD amongst other things.

Several large chain hotels do the same shit. Mariott, Ramada, etc... Lock you out.

Such bullshit.

last farang standing
    Last Online
    CS if you have any more specific questions PM me. I will do my best to answer. Which ever brand you use make sure there is an authorised service agent close. Just in Case. That way you have half a chance that it will be fixed correctly if need be.

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:48 PM
    Which ever brand you use make sure there is an authorised service agent close.
    Isn't this reverse logic? Shouldn't one find the nearest/best dealer and buy what make they sell? Within reason.

Any reason Saijo Denki is not mentioned in your post?

last farang standing
    Last Online
    Quote Originally Posted by VocalNeal View Post
    Which ever brand you use make sure there is an authorised service agent close.
    Isn't this reverse logic? Shouldn't one find the nearest/best dealer and buy what make they sell? Within reason.

No. You may have a Samsung dealer up the road however the feedback from Techs is not good.
    Dealers do not always have their own techs but subcontract repairs out to a service company. E.G. My business is Sales but we service our own product. So not reverse logic at all.

Any reason Saijo Denki is not mentioned in your post?

Saijo Denki is a Thai brand which is relatively new and I know little about them or their reliability and therefore I am not qualified to rate them either way.
    I was giving my opinion based on my experience with parts availability and reliability, quiet operation etc which was with Mits and Pana in Thailand.
    I only have experience of Daikin in Oz and many techs criticise their technical backup service. It may be better in Thailand.
    There are other good brands but I don't have experience with them to give a qualified comment
    In the end it just has to make the air cold. After that it is how much? how quiet? how reliable? and after that are parts readily available and is there someone who knows how to fix that brand.
    You forget how much of a bargain the A/C was when you are sweating like a pig in bed because its broken down and the part has to come from overseas or is no longer available.
    Last edited by Hugh Cow; 18-04-2017 at 11:28 AM.

Thailand Expat

Last Online
    06-11-2022 @ 08:40 AM
    Authorized service crew are the best idea, too many clowns with a screwdriver and clueless or who try and rip you off- gas need topping up etc. Got our unit from local power buy but when the Mitsubishi blokes turned up to try and sort a problem out the first thing they said was- who put these in? Been installed far too high up making it difficult to clean out so they had to strip it down. Local twat had been charging us for top ups when no need, they actually had to take a bit of gas out. I would not go back to cheap somchi's again who have almost certainly never had any real training.

last farang standing
    Last Online
    Quote Originally Posted by Thai3 View Post
    Authorized service crew are the best idea, too many clowns with a screwdriver and clueless or who try and rip you off- gas need topping up etc. Got our unit from local power buy but when the Mitsubishi blokes turned up to try and sort a problem out the first thing they said was- who put these in? Been installed far too high up making it difficult to clean out so they had to strip it down. Local twat had been charging us for top ups when no need, they actually had to take a bit of gas out. I would not go back to cheap somchi's again who have almost certainly never had any real training.
    Sage advice T3. Being an authorised service centre is worth money to the business and nobody wants to lose that status. It also gives them "pull" with the manufacturer if there is no easy resolution to the problem.

Custom Title Changer
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:11 AM
    Sage advice T3. Being an authorised service centre is worth money to the business and nobody wants to lose that status. It also gives them "pull" with the manufacturer if there is no easy resolution to the problem.
    And advice I'll gladly take as well, thanks HC and T3. While our guy isn't a service rep, he's not charged us for the last two visits because he was unable to fix the issue.

We're getting our new A/C tomorrow arvo, I plan to root through the paperwork to find the authorized service center list, or at least some phone numbers.

Also, the owners wife decided to go 50/50 on the replacement costs, but is allowing us to pay it off over the course of several months.

Thanks again!
    "I was a good student. I comprehend very well, OK, better than I think almost anybody," - President Trump comparing his legal knowledge to a Federal judge.

Last Online
    @
    Quote Originally Posted by CSFFan
    Also, the owners wife decided to go 50/50 on the replacement costs, but is allowing us to pay it off over the course of several months.
    If you rent the condo with aircon unit included then you shouldn't pay one single satang of the repair or replacement cost.

Custom Title Changer
    Last Online
    Quote Originally Posted by lom
    If you rent the condo with aircon unit included then you shouldn't pay one single satang of the repair or replacement cost.
    It's a townhouse....

One would think so, wouldn't they, however it's been the 50/50 split since we've moved in..... one water pump replaced, now one a/c replacement.

R.I.P.
    Last Online
    15-11-2020 @ 07:58 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by CSFFan View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by lom
    It's a townhouse....

One would think so, wouldn't they, however it's been the 50/50 split since we've moved in..... one water pump replaced, now one a/c replacement.
    Whilst it seems to me and probably most of us that forcing you to pay 50% is out of order, am I not right in thinking that you told me that you have exceptionally good land lords who are worth keeping in with?

last farang standing
    Last Online
    Don't forget to take your half of the pump and aircon when you leave.

Custom Title Changer
    Last Online
    Quote Originally Posted by crackerjack101
    Whilst it seems to me and probably most of us that forcing you to pay 50% is out of order, am I not right in thinking that you told me that you have exceptionally good land lords who are worth keeping in with?
    The landlord is great, no doubt about it.

Don't forget to take your half of the pump and aircon when you leave.
    This is probably going to be our home for quite some time, we've already have rented from them for about 10 years now.

Thailand Expat

Last Online
    10 years rent could have bought somewhere, that's how I looked at it when I was nagged into buying 5 years ago after renting for 5. In another 5 it will be the same amount as if we, well I, had rented and she still has a roof over her head for life. Only works for cheap places I guess.

Custom Title Changer
    Last Online
    Quote Originally Posted by Thai3
    10 years rent could have bought somewhere, that's how I looked at it when I was nagged into buying 5 years ago after renting for 5. In another 5 it will be the same amount as if we, well I, had rented and she still has a roof over her head for life. Only works for cheap places I guess.
    My wife's not Thai so we can't really buy a house. This works well for us and not one rent increase yet.

I'm in Jail

Last Online
    25-03-2024 @ 12:07 PM
    Good read guys, I may someday have to install ac at the farm house. That is if I ever stay there in summer. It's hot enough in December. I cant imagine what the hotter rainy season is like.

Oh, and Jeff don't sweat it. I have a drop ceiling in my basement as well. I'm not kidding, I do. 555555

I hope you can take a joke. Well I know you can, some of these jokers are brutal towards you. Cheers..........the fish.

Thailand Expat

Last Online
    Quote Originally Posted by Thai3
    My wife's not Thai so we can't really buy a house. This works well for us and not one rent increase yet.
    Not Thai you say, a very wise choice that As it's a bedroom a quiet running one is important, that lets out Mitsubishi heavy duty, ours is noisy, but the mitsubishi electric mr slim in another bedroom is better, I believe they are different companies.

I'm in Jail

Last Online
    25-03-2024 @ 12:07 PM
    Where I live we have central air as the house has ducting for forced air heating in winter already. I like the idea of having individual ac units for different rooms as it helps control costs of say the guest bedroom that isn't being used ect. I was in Laos at the main building supply store and asked about roofing and siding and to get on point here insulation. They really didn't have or know where to source any. The manager basically said they don't use it here much. I found that a bit odd as it works to keep the cool in and heat out.

I asked about spray on expanding foam and got a blank look as though he never heard of such a product. They must have it in Thailand. I think code in seppo land is all new buildings must have fire retardant spray on foam on the eye beams to keep the building from collapsing in the event of a fire.

I'll give ten or twenty years for it to catch on. Then I may finish the project and stay awhile.
    Last edited by fishlocker; 18-04-2017 at 07:38 PM.

Thailand Expat

Last Online
    bit of a mystery that fishlocker, what is it?

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    08-01-2024 @ 01:10 AM
    Got to sweat it out tonight. Samsung AC 24 btu bought 3 years ago has gone to shit. In the process of replacing or re-building the motor which hopefully will be complete tomorrow. Don't buy a Samsung what ever you do.

Custom Title Changer
    Last Online
    Quote Originally Posted by Humbert
    Got to sweat it out tonight. Samsung AC 24 btu bought 3 years ago has gone to shit. In the process of replacing or re-building the motor which hopefully will be complete tomorrow. Don't buy a Samsung what ever you do.
    Only 3 years! Is it still under warranty?

Ours was installed today and seems to be working well. It's on 25 right now and seems to be cycling on and off properly.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    08-01-2024 @ 01:10 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by CSFFan
    They came and took the whole thing apart. Turns out jingjoks got into the unit and shorted out the electrical panel. 2000 baht to repair it. TIT.
    Anybody know where to buy mothballs in Thailand? I hear the nasty little fuckers hate them.
    Last edited by Humbert; 20-04-2017 at 10:40 AM.

Last Online
    22-03-2024 @ 04:52 PM
    Don't buy a Samsung what ever you do.

Ours was installed today and seems to be working well. It's on 25 right now and seems to be cycling on and off properly.
    If its a "Inverter" it shouldn't cycle but run constant and ramp up / down as needed?

Thailand Expat

Last Online

what did you buy in the end?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information