Thread: Touring Taiwan
View Single Post
Old 12-04-2017, 08:38 AM   #5 (permalink)
katie23
Thailand Expat

katie23 Thailand Expatkatie23 Thailand Expatkatie23 Thailand Expatkatie23 Thailand Expatkatie23 Thailand Expatkatie23 Thailand Expatkatie23 Thailand Expatkatie23 Thailand Expatkatie23 Thailand Expatkatie23 Thailand Expatkatie23 Thailand Expatkatie23 Thailand Expatkatie23 Thailand Expatkatie23 Thailand Expatkatie23 Thailand Expatkatie23 Thailand Expatkatie23 Thailand Expatkatie23 Thailand Expatkatie23 Thailand Expat
katie23 Thailand Expatkatie23 Thailand Expatkatie23 Thailand Expatkatie23 Thailand Expatkatie23 Thailand Expatkatie23 Thailand Expatkatie23 Thailand Expatkatie23 Thailand Expatkatie23 Thailand Expatkatie23 Thailand Expatkatie23 Thailand Expat
After my Taipei trip last year, I've often wondered how the PI would be, if we had more years of Japanese rule. PI was under Japan from '42 to 45, so 3 yrs only. Maybe we (as a ppl) would've been more disciplined & organized? In my history lessons, the Jap rule was always portrayed as a horrific era. That there were killings, rapings, etc. That MacArthur and the GIs were saviors. The Spanish rulers were very lax (and that can be seen in many Spanish-colonized countries in the Americas). In culture, PI is more similar to Latin American countries than to their SEA neighbors, who are either Buddhistor Muslim.

As for the Americans, they taught us the language, among other things. Some say it's a bastardized form (as I've read from the Poms here). In my view, English.is English. As long as you can communicate w/ each other, it's fine.

In this hostel, there's a Swiss-German girl, some Brit guys, a Chinese guy. We all speak English with each other. Except for the Brit guys, we are all non-native speakers, so we're not particular w/ what type of English is written or spoke. To the UK-english snobs, ypu can go eff yourselves. Heh.

More later. Tschuss!
katie23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Page generated in 0.08192 seconds with 19 queries