Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617 LastLast
    Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    26-03-2024 @ 11:36 AM
    Try photobucket its real easy to load your pics.
    Your place looks great.

Last Online
    27-03-2023 @ 04:17 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by naptownmike View Post
    Try photobucket its real easy to load your pics.
    Your place looks great.
    Cheers!

Actually there are a whole heap of image hosting options out there, and I'd even use Photobucket, but that still doesn't help with all the missing previous images I posted on this thread. Unless I can edit it, this thread is useless.. who is going to bother to scan through 9 pages of waffle with no piccies?!

Anyone know a moderator who can actually help out or respond to my request to edit older posts?

If not then this thread will be removed as a waste of effort and time.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    26-09-2021 @ 10:28 PM
    Very easy for photos downloading is this one:
    666kb.com - Gratis Speicherplatz für Bilddateien
    Choose a photo in your PC (max 666 kB), then click SPEICHERN, afterwards two boxes with link will appear, copy the lowest one in your message, there you are.

Last Online
    @
    Did you by chance adjust/move your album within your dropbox? If you linked your images and then moved them in the album behind the scenes, that would surely jack everything up.

Last Online
    Cheers Klondyke...

The issue is NOT about image hosting and uploading, as I said previously, there are lots of companies offering services out there: TinyPic, Imgur, 500px, Photobucket, PostImage etc etc.so, I have got that pretty much covered..

The problem is:

IF I CANNOT EDIT MY OLDER POSTS, THEN THERE WILL BE 9 PAGES OF BLANK MARKERS WHERE THE IMAGES I HAVE ALREADY POSTED SHOULD BE.

This makes for a bloody awful first 2/3rds of my thread, so I guess I'll give it one more day, then this thread is going to be deleted and I'll start it again, although it will look really crap as no comments or posts by other people will be included.

IF A MODERATOR CAN POSSIBLY HELP OUT THAT WOULD BE SPIFFING!!! HELLO!!!?!!

So if people could Please refrain from posting any more handy hints about web image hosting, or how to post images, or where to host the posted images, or how to link with hosted images... as this doesn't help solve my problem.

Last Online
    @
    Well jonny, not sure what the deal is, but I would start a new thread with your build pics. I saw them before everything got jacked up. Looked nice.

Last Online
    Quote Originally Posted by Slick View Post
    Did you by chance adjust/move your album within your dropbox? If you linked your images and then moved them in the album behind the scenes, that would surely jack everything up.
    Hi Slick,

That was the first thing I checked, and no, nothing was changed, no images were moved, no renaming, or changes of access etc.. I even checked the links and they are the same.

I think the issue was with dropbox.. it is really a file sharing service, where either you share an online folder or you supply someone with a link to download one image/file.

I don't think the chappies over at dropbox like it when you share a link to a file on a web board or thread such as this.

If I could edit my posts, I'd just pop in the new links for images hosted elsewhere and bob's your uncle, we'll be good to go!

Last Online
    @
    jonnyenglish, click on the red triangle under your name (report post) for the first post in this thread. Then write a message to the moderator in the box that will appear. That report will definitely be seen by a moderator. (If that doesn't get any progress, the mods don't give a fig about this thread.)

Last Online
    @
    People like pictures, so posting nothing but progress pics will keep people interested. People will comment and ask questions just the same. You might get more views like that as well.

I would start a new thread with your pics hosted in imgur and be done with it. Sometimes its better than a 300 page thread scattered with pics, know what I mean?

Hopefully moderation can sort you out though

Last Online
    Quote Originally Posted by Neverna View Post
    jonnyenglish, click on the red triangle under your name (report post) for the first post in this thread. Then write a message to the moderator in the box that will appear. That report will definitely be seen by a moderator. (If that doesn't get any progress, the mods don't give a fig about this thread.)
    Thanks Nerverna... message as a report has been sent.. let's see if I get any response.

Last Online
    Quote Originally Posted by Slick View Post
    People like pictures, so posting nothing but progress pics will keep people interested. People will comment and ask questions just the same. You might get more views like that as well.

I would start a new thread with your pics hosted in imgur and be done with it. Sometimes its better than a 300 page thread scattered with pics, know what I mean?

Hopefully moderation can sort you out though
    Will wait and see if I can get some help from the mod, if not the I'll just start a new thread, such is life.

Last Online
    There is hope!

I have a response from the Moderators and they will replace the missing images in the thread with ones I have uploaded to my gallery on TD.

Post of the build to resume 'soon' (TM)

Last Online
    Many thanks to the Moderator who helped me replace the images in this thread, very much appreciated!

Many things have been going on with the build over the past few weeks, including a a big storm with lots of rain, followed by dry hot weather, then very strong winds, and I'm glad to say that no damage was done to the house (although 2 banana trees were snapped in half).

Progress on the build:

forms being made for steps at the back of the house leading to the back door (kitchen):

A wall was put up in the bathroom to form a basic shower divide, but on reflection it makes the room appear very small, so will take it down again:

I will put up a free-standing glass shower partition instead, although they are a bit of a pain to keep clean as the hard water leaves marks all the time. Oh well, good excuse to put on rubber gloves I guess!

Last Online
    Rendering of the outside of the house started a couple of weeks ago, and I was surprised to see that the building team did not change. When looking at other projects here and there, I noticed that usually a team of workers who do this and nothing else turn up in force and transform an otherwise pig's ear of a wall into a smooth and level job.

Last Online
    Interior walls also being rendered, here's a shot of one window, showing nice thick window recesses to help reduce direct sunlight, but also allowing me to hang wooden venetian blinds in the recess, rather than having them flap about and hang away from the wall

Here's an arty shot of what will be the kitchen:

Last Online
    Progress on the exterior rendering is slow and steady, I think the team are doing a grand job.

Now we have steps at the kitchen door:

Here's a couple of newly made and resupplied interior eaves vents, the first ones were completely the wrong angle and did not match the angle of the roof, good job they asked me before installing, as they are a very visible feature and would have annoyed me every single time I looked at them if there were not right:

The foreman blamed Noarng for taking the wrong measurements, and laughed when he was showing me the first versions that arrived from the carpenters... he knew they were wrong, but wanted to see my reaction

Last Online
    Rendering interior walls of kitchen and lounge:

This is a nice big feature wall, I will make some art to put up.. already know what I will paint, a continuation of a theme that I was working on when at university many moons ago!

As I mentioned before, the beams running across the room spaces shown are not structural, I will box them with hardwood to make them look more substantial and aesthetically pleasing, plus can hang fans from them.

After work impromptu bbq and beer session with the team, just as a morale boost and to say thanks for doing such good work:

Last Online
    @
    Quote Originally Posted by jonnyenglish View Post

I will put up a free-standing glass shower partition instead, although they are a bit of a pain to keep clean as the hard water leaves marks all the time. Oh well, good excuse to put on rubber gloves I guess!
    Glad to see the pics back up. To your point on the glass, the water is so hard that it can virtually etch the glass and leave it looking poor in no time. I considered glass as well and steered away after I saw so many homes with terribly water stained glass. I am glad I did. Another thing to consider, in our walls I added the 4" glass squares to let natural light into the bathroom. Best thing I did. I put them in every bathroom. Brightens up the rooms, makes them look larger and more user friendly. Just some thoughts for ya. Easy to add at this juncture

Your place is looking real sharp. Nice

Last Online
    [QUOTE=JPPR2;3505359]
    Quote Originally Posted by jonnyenglish View Post

Another thing to consider, in our walls I added the 4" glass squares to let natural light into the bathroom. Best thing I did. I put them in every bathroom. Brightens up the rooms, makes them look larger and more user friendly. Just some thoughts for ya. Easy to add at this juncture

Your place is looking real sharp. Nice
    Thanks JPPR2, kind of you to say.. cheers!

I have renovated houses before, have built a fair amount of stuff using wood, and have even built archaeological reconstructions of ancient mud round houses, but never a house of my own design. Things might look right on paper, but you never really know until it's 60+% complete how the place feels. I'm starting to think that I got it about 90% right, which isn't bad for a first attempt

I have put a window in each of the bathrooms, they will have suspended ceilings with downlights, and will have wall lights above the mirrors and seeing as it's not such a large room, I am hoping that it will be plenty light enough. Your idea of using glass bricks is a good one, I'll keep that in mind, just in case I need to modify things later, which I am already thinking about.

I may extend the master bathroom out by a couple of metres, as an annex or spur if you like, it can have a separate pitched tiled roof to match the main house, but would sit underneath the eaves and well below the soffit.

There is room to extend as the edge of the access road is 3+ metres from the current bathroom wall. I think it would give the back of the house some interest, plus would mean I could put in a Jacuzzi, or similar. But, this is for later, unless I suddenly access some decent funds!

Had a bit of a site clear-up today, met up with the team for a few beers. The exterior rendering is 90% complete... next up is the ceiling system.

Crazy heat today, temperature was 40 degrees C, with no wind. House is still really cool inside, and there is a through breeze. Although this could be due to the fact there is so much water going on the walls for rendering and there are no doors and windows in yet!

Last Online
    25-05-2022 @ 02:56 AM
    Everything seems to becoming together nicely. Making note of windows, I agree with you how to install blinds. I think seeing your construction photos is just what my wife needs to see.

Last Online
    @
    Quote Originally Posted by jonnyenglish
    I have renovated houses before, have built a fair amount of stuff using wood, and have even built archaeological reconstructions of ancient mud round houses, but never a house of my own design. Things might look right on paper, but you never really know until it's 60+% complete how the place feels. I'm starting to think that I got it about 90% right, which isn't bad for a first attempt
    Our house here was the first one I had ever design and had built from scratch too. Usually I added rooms or renovated when back in the states. I have to say it was a bit overwhelming initially quite honestly. It took 4 iterations on the plans before we signed off on paper.Then 1/2 way in as it came together we saw some things in other places we liked as I was always researching. We made a few changes on the fly. Glad we did. I love our place and the thermal efficiency ideas panned out with the house being up on pillars. Even now with the warmer temps, we use the AC's sparingly. Maybe an hour a day at night, then ceiling fans. Just got a Electric bill for this month, 1147 baht.

Anyway when its done you can sit back and enjoy the project. I did just that after my house blessing party was over.

Last Online
    02-04-2021 @ 03:09 PM
    Being a "newby" I have started to read your thread and am enjoying it very much. I look forward to your further postings along with comments by other readers. My wife & I are preparing to build in Isaan later this year so will be guided by your progress.

Last Online
    Quote Originally Posted by runker View Post
    Everything seems to becoming together nicely. Making note of windows, I agree with you how to install blinds. I think seeing your construction photos is just what my wife needs to see.
    When I told a few of my friends that I wasn't going to double-skin all of the walls, just around the windows, without exception all of them had the opinion that the house would get too hot, blah blah, that the walls would look really odd (not being flat) and all sorts of other things... I was adamant that my idea was fine, and guess what... the house looks better for having the extra wall features, and the overhanging roof and shorter exterior wall height all help to keep the sun off the exterior walls. The long, thin windows also help to reduce the heat entering the house.

It did however seem very odd to be thinking about window blinds and such details before any bricks had been laid (even the builder laughed and said 'later you think about this'), but it really is an important design feature, not just an afterthought.

Last Online
    Quote Originally Posted by Radar View Post
    Being a "newby" I have started to read your thread and am enjoying it very much. I look forward to your further postings along with comments by other readers. My wife & I are preparing to build in Isaan later this year so will be guided by your progress.
    Many thanks Radar, I'm glad my waffling is of some interest. If the very least you get from my posts is an idea of what not to do, then that's all good!

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:05 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jonnyenglish
    I will put up a free-standing glass shower partition
    Looking up jonny. Slow and steady on rendering is good.

Forget the glass and consider lowering the wall a bit to keep splash off toilet. Then tile in shower with slight slope to drain and a couple cms below the bathroom tile. What I did and works well. Room looks bigger and no prob with water splash and drainage.

Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617 LastLast

Thread Information