Page 29 of 43 FirstFirst ... 19212223242526272829303132333435363739 ... LastLast
    I'm in Jail

Last Online
    25-03-2024 @ 12:07 PM

They were (he was) putting the final touches on this cabin above the falls. So yea you could stay there. From this side head left across a field, after you skirt the fence line at a steep slope. No joke like a stripper you have to hold the pole as you go around the pole. I guess they care about you. No pole jokes please. All on gopro,sorry.I'll figure it out some day. Roll on down and you are there.

I'm in Jail

Last Online

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    Thnx for the pics, fish. Was the one in #696 taken from thw hot air balloon? Cheers!

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    01-03-2024 @ 05:38 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by fishlocker View Post
    where is this?? very nice

I'm in Jail

Last Online
    Vang Vieng Laos, from the six person+1 pilot hot air balloon. It was as the sun was rising and we were slowly going down as we drifted southeast.

I have just begun to sift through the gopro pics and video. I have some good stuff and was considering starting a "Better pics from Laos" thread. One with less pointless rambling and get this I may even make it a point to stay sober while posting. I usually start out straight however I do this on my days off from work so I tend to be a bit overboard buy the time I call it quits If you get my drift.

Glad you enjoyed the thread thus far. Although it was not that long ago it brings back some fond memories. Yesterday I told a coworker about leaving my I.D. and credit cards at the ANZ Bank ATM and getting it all back the next day. And also about the commander and his family taking us to all those waterfalls. Not to mention the four thousand island tour at no charge. They didn't have to do that but went out of their way to make us feel at home.

I guess us sending his daughter a box of trinkets and baby clothes and stuff from here for her baby's shower really paid dividends in the long run. Do good get good takes on a new meaning for me this time around.

Peace out..........the fish.

I'm in Jail

Last Online
    29-04-2023 @ 08:08 AM
    Hey fish. I've just revisited this thread to get a bit more info on 4000 islands. Thinking of doing a roadie in June when the kids are on school holiday. Plan is to drive vientiane to pakse / champasak maybe stopping wherever we feel like it. Check out the islands then continue on into cambodia. Stung treng first then siam reap. After that keep going to poipet and enter Thailand via aranyaprathet. Drive back to vte leisurely through isSan.

I'm in Jail

Last Online
    Or our second option is to drive to ko chang / ko kood and ch3ck out chantabouly while we're there or maybe enter cambodia via ko Kong and hit the beaches of sihanoukville. It's wet season then so just gonna play it by ear before making final decision. They tell me ko chang can be shit in june

Last Online
    13-06-2017 @ 02:30 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by beerlaodrinker View Post
    Hey fish. I've just revisited this thread to get a bit more info on 4000 islands. Thinking of doing a roadie in June when the kids are on school holiday. Plan is to drive vientiane to pakse / champasak maybe stopping wherever we feel like it. Check out the islands then continue on into cambodia. Stung treng first then siam reap. After that keep going to poipet and enter Thailand via aranyaprathet. Drive back to vte leisurely through isSan.
    I own a guesthouse on Don Det in 4,000 islands. Do you have any specific questions about the area? I am based in Thailand now but spent ten years on Don Det so am pretty familiar with anything you might want to know.

I'm in Jail

Last Online
    Sounds like Justme is the one to ask. I was with people that knew the area so I didn't have to do much thinking or planning. I was grateful for that as it takes the hassle out of touring.

I mentioned to some friends that I wanted to see the old Locomotives and the Irroddy dolphins and we were there. The other draw of course are the waterfalls.

Good luck and happy travels. Oh and by all means a pic thread is allways welcome.

Last Online
    Sounds like Justme is the one to ask. I was with people that knew the area so I didn't have to do much thinking or planning. I was grateful for that as it takes the hassle out of touring.

I mentioned to some friends that I wanted to see the old Locomotives and the Irroddy dolphins and we were there. The other draw of course are the waterfalls.

Good luck and happy travels. Oh and by all means a pic thread is allways welcome.

I guess if he throws out questions anybody can answer. Didn't mean to step on any toes.

I'm in Jail

Last Online
    I still have Konglor cave on the bucket list. It's about halfway from Vte to Pakse or there about. It would break the trip up and is said to be well worth the effort. We did tour Buddha cave that has a river running through a mountain in a beautiful mountainous area. I have a video of the inside of the cave that I was not to make so It remains unseen by anyone but me. Not that I believe in spooks but more so that I have a conscious.

Sadly the zipline portion of the Vang Vieng tour seems to be corrupted. I plan on doing the zipline tour near Pakse on the next tour. May be fun for your children.

If in Pakse I would recommend the Paradise resort just south of town along the river. 28usd for a clean quiet place.

I'm in Jail

Last Online
    No troubles. Fish have no toes. Haha. And by all means feel free to add any helpful info. I am no expert on the area at all.

Last Online
    I still have Konglor cave on the bucket list. It's about halfway from Vte to Pakse or there about. It would break the trip up and is said to be well worth the effort. We did tour Buddha cave that has a river running through a mountain in a beautiful mountainous area. I have a video of the inside of the cave that I was not to make so It remains unseen by anyone but me. Not that I believe in spooks but more so that I have a conscious.

Sadly the zipline portion of the Vang Vieng tour seems to be corrupted. I plan on doing the zipline tour near Pakse on the next tour. May be fun for your children.

If in Pakse I would recommend the Paradise resort just south of town along the river. 28usd for a clean quiet place.
    Kong Lor cave is well worth a visit. It isn't as easy to get to if time is limited though. I took a private car and this made it very reasonable to get there.

Make sure you know the water levels of the cave as it can be too high sometimes or if it is low a little tough going. If it is low you may have to help drag the boats over rocks.

We stayed at a place right near the mouth of the cave. It is a beautiful area. Carst limestone like Vang Vieng. Nice little stream to swim in but the water can be freezing cold.

The accommodation there is pretty limited but adequate. Don't expect them to have everything on the menu available. If you ever wanted to see how Vang Vieng was before it became VV, Khong Lor is like that.

Renting motorbikes in Tha Kek is probably the most popular way to get to the cave. I would do a night near the cave rather than just a day trip.

Last Online
    The zipline treetop place near Pakse is quite expensive if you plan to stay there. I think it is worth it but when I looked you are going to pay nearly $200 if you stay. Not sure the prices for only using the zip lines.

I'm in Jail

Last Online
    Quote Originally Posted by justme2017 View Post
    I own a guesthouse on Don Det in 4,000 islands. Do you have any specific questions about the area? I am based in Thailand now but spent ten years on Don Det so am pretty familiar with anything you might want to know.
    I've got plenty of questions, I'm no new t o Lao having lived and worked here for last 11 years, kids are on holiday and the wife is Lao , she has never been there neither have I. Just sounds like an alernative from jumpin on a plane,, if your in the know there can ytou tell me a good place to say with 2 kids aged 7 and 10 I'm no going there to re visit the vang vieng days but a bit of nightlife and a few beers and a bong would be good

days

I'm in Jail

Last Online
    I'm kind of confused about driving there, from what I can glean I think I want to stay in don khon.or don det not to be confused with don khong, the thing for me is I'm arriving in my own car, not by bus . And the plan is to enter Cambodia after checking out this part of Lao that we both haven't seen.shhould I park the car in nasadang? An take the small boat over?

I'm in Jail

Last Online
    I saw a sign at a small town east of the islands that advertised motorcycle ferry to the island. I'm not sure about cars.

We parked the van at a home south of the town and got into a boat. My buddies wife took care of getting us to the island. Once there we hopped into a tour type vehicle that they had. It's in the thread. Kind of a truck with bench seats and a roof. Open sides with no seat belts.

Sorry I can't be of more help I was just along for the ride.

Last Online
    I'm kind of confused about driving there, from what I can glean I think I want to stay in don khon.or don det not to be confused with don khong, the thing for me is I'm arriving in my own car, not by bus . And the plan is to enter Cambodia after checking out this part of Lao that we both haven't seen.shhould I park the car in nasadang? An take the small boat over?
    Sure, stay at my place. It isn't expensive and has a pool that is nice. Around $20 a night and is near the water fall and bridge. It is called the longislandguesthouse.

You can google it. The service is pretty much on the level of Fawlty Towers. But it is a nice place to base one's self.

You will pay more to stay on Don Khone. The pool is good for the kids. There is a dedicated children's pool.

Tell them you are from TD and you can get it for $15.
    Last edited by justme2017; 18-05-2017 at 11:26 PM.

Last Online
    You will have to park in the town of Nakasang and get a boat.You will be charged around $3 a day to park your car.

I'm in Jail

Last Online
    Don Det - 4000 islands, Laos | Maps

I found a link that may be helpful.

I'm in Jail

Last Online
    Quote Originally Posted by justme2017 View Post
    Sure, stay at my place. It isn't expensive and has a pool that is nice. Around $20 a night and is near the water fall and bridge. It is called the longislandguesthouse.

You can google it. The service is pretty much on the level of Fawlty Towers. But it is a nice place to base one's self.

You will pay more to stay on Don Khone. The pool is good for the kids. There is a dedicated children's pool.

Tell them you are from TD and you can get it for $15.
    A hotel with a pool is always a priority when I take the kids I Google it yesterday in fact and it was at the top of my list. Sounds perfect

Last Online
    My place is a little off the beaten track on the south near the bridge. If you just want places to drink and don't want backpackers you are better off crossing the bridge at night and going to Don Khone for a drink and dinner. Short walk over.

As far as smoke goes there is a little bit of a crack down now in the islands.

They have arrested a few people selling which is the first time I have ever heard of this. We don't sell it at my place and never have but I know where you can get it. If you want this info please pm me as I don't want to say it here.

My place is private and off the main road so you can openly smoke anywhere around the pool and at your bungalow. Just be discreet if you see any people in green uniforms coming down the path . Other places more public are asking people to smoke in their rooms and not in the restaurants at the moment.

This is subject to change of course. Do not smoke openly anywhere on Don Khone island or anywhere else in southern Laos such as Pakse or Bolaven Plateau. Don Det is the haven for this and discretion is advised at this time.

For any local information you might need stop in on the Aussie guy at Street View restaurant. He does very decent food and is a good friend. Tell him Ryan sent you and you should be in good hands. He isn't the cheapest place but not what I would say expensive either.

I highly recommend doing the kayaking trip. It is around 160,000 Kip per person. Although that seems a little expensive it is worth doing and a bargain for what you get.

You see all of the waterfalls and the dolphins in one day this way. If you try do this yourself piece meal you will end up paying more so it is a nice package. Includes a modest lunch but if you arrange it you can buy some fish if available at the lunch stop. Watch what your guides get they will know what is available. This is of course extra if you choose that option. Otherwise you will get fried rice and fruit which is alright.

Buy any supplies you might need in Pakse and your last stop is Nakasang for a market or getting snacks etc. Everything is that just a little bit more expensive on the island as it has to be brought in. It isn't outrageous but I recommend buying crisps, chocolate whatever your kids like. Keep everything sealed if you bring it in the room. Otherwise expect ants and critters if you don't.

It is low season and sometimes a good strategy is to tell staff what you want ahead of time as it is impossible to stock everything this time of year. Example if you want fish for dinner tell them in the afternoon should you know what you want.

The day you want to leave tell them what you want for breakfast the night before when booking your ticket is easiest. So it is there and no stress waiting for the boat etc.

Book your ticket from where you stay so the boat picks you up there. If you book outside they will most likely want you to meet where you book. The tickets will look slightly cheaper if you get them from the north of the island but you could have a long walk. It is worth the extra 10,000 Kip to get the boat to come all the way south for you.

If you are coming to the south of the island it is easiest to get the boat to Don Khone and then cross the bridge to Don Det. There are three boat stops and DK is the closest. We are located very close to the bridge just 100 meters below it on the Don Det side.

We have a sam lor should you want "taxi" service. The guy running the place speaks English very well and you can ask him for anything. If you are bringing your Lao wife she is welcome to eat with the family if she prefers local fish and food instead of the menu items. Service can be flaky but they will do their best to fulfill any requests.

So that's how I would play it if I was doing a trip there. Sorry that was lengthier than intended but is good advice for anybody coming in the future.

For those wanting more action the north of the island is the backpacker central. The south is more quiet and natural.

Forgot to add if you want the $15 rate do not use booking.com to book.
    Last edited by justme2017; 19-05-2017 at 11:56 AM.

I'm in Jail

Last Online
    Some more great advice Ryan. Canoe trip sounds good to me but I think my kids are to young to handle an all.day trip. So if I'm coming by boat from nakasang I can get the boat to drop me of near the longview and pick us up from there to? I was only kidding about the bong. Beerlao is my drug of choice these days

Last Online
    Some more great advice Ryan. Canoe trip sounds good to me but I think my kids are to young to handle an all.day trip. So if I'm coming by boat from nakasang I can get the boat to drop me of near the longview and pick us up from there to? I was only kidding about the bong. Beerlao is my drug of choice these days
    It would be easier to get the boat to Don Khone. You can try and ask to go to my place but most times they only stop at three designated places or only at their uncle or buddies places. So by all means try but don't be surprised if they don't seem to know or play dumb. We can order the boat leaving to come to our place but drop offs aren't the same. It is the boat "association" On the way out they want the business so of course they have to come if they want to get paid.

The French bridge is where you want to head if you can get the boat to drop you at the French bridge on the Don Det side you are a Jedi. More than likely they dump you on Don Khone which is around half a kilometer walk across the bridge. The boats do not like going under the bridge at all. Ghosts and all right above the spirit trap.

If you end up there and have lots to carry stop at Mr. Pan's guesthouse and see if he can give you a ride the short distance or can call one of our staff. They are related so he should help. It is right where the boat drops you on Don Khone. Grab some bicycles is also easy there. We don't rent bikes so if you want to rent bikes do it from there. If asked where you stay they may not know Long Island but will all know the swimming pool so use that as a landmark.

The boat mafia in the islands are real assholes. The trouble with picking people up is we have to pay them even if we use our own boat. So even if we took our own boat all the way up there we would have to pay 3 tickets for the boat and for the rate of rooms we just can not do it.

I'm in Jail

Last Online
    Sounds fucked up, but interesting? Lao is a weird but interesting country, what made you build a resort in hat part of Lao? Just curios you obviouslyy

Page 29 of 43 FirstFirst ... 19212223242526272829303132333435363739 ... LastLast

Thread Information