Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Last Online
    @
    Always booked with Booking.com. I like the map features that show hotels in the same area. Always good good prices,too. Not sure why Agoda shows different prices either!

Last Online
    @
    Quote Originally Posted by aging one View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Keyser soze
    Agoda and booking.com are the same owned by Priceline who also own many others.
    So you read the posts above yours before you post?
    Obviously now keep up old man.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    01-03-2024 @ 05:38 PM
    Hotel sets its prices not booking.com or agoda or priceline.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    For me, it is important to add map coordinates since I usually drive when touring Thailand. Obviously, this does not matter as much when traveling outside the kingdom.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    I prefer to pay cash when using Thai hotels. If required I will use my credit card or debit card to support an application.
    On two occasions I have specified a preference to pay cash and the hotel took card payments prior to my arrival stating hotel policy as the reason. Not much point having an option if it's going to be ignored.
    I always use booking.com and these are the only problems I have ever encountered, both here and elsewhere.

Last Online
    @
    Quote Originally Posted by Phuketrichard View Post
    Hotel sets its prices not booking.com or agoda or priceline.
    That is correct booking take 15% every month from all reservations made through them

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    agoda takes 20%
    we use them to book the villa i manage
    airbnb is much cheaper

Last Online
    06-12-2016 @ 06:15 AM
    Have used Agoda for about the last 8 years when travelling in Thailand and have never had a problem with them. The other extra is that you rack up credits and these can then be used when booking future rooms.

Last Online
    04-04-2018 @ 09:53 AM
    Agoda always works well for me for over 10 years, never a problem

Thailand Expat

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 03:24 PM
    Once upon a time ringing up any reservations desk and asking the manager to quote a discount was the way to go. Booking.com et al changed all that and for a while internet discounts were the only way to secure a decent reduction in the rack rate. But now we seem to have gone full circle and so far in my last two bookings I have gained a much better rate by contacting the hotel direct rather than the internet. The booking agencies, particularly Booking.com, are now advertising differing rates according to usage of their site which is a bit naughty really.
    Caveat emptor.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:54 PM
    Booking . com charge me 15% commission for my Uk places. Naturally we offer better rates to guests booking direct. Unfortunately Booking's Ts and Cs oblige owners to offer their best rates via them. This is currently being challenged legally. Not sure of outcome.

Meanwhile as a guest i find booking.com is useful for its review scores (only genuine guests can rate properties) and for its map of nearest properties. I then call the properties direct or simply walk in. You're more likely to get the best deal face to face as hotels are afraid of Booking.com stooges.

Even if the hotel will only offer the Booking.com rate it's generally worth trying to get a room upgrade, breakfast included etc as a walk in.

Last Online
    25-09-2022 @ 09:45 AM
    I have just spent the last half day hunting down the best deals for my upcoming stay in Bangkok . Trawling through the websites that deal in hotel reservations , Agoda came up with the best price by a margin of 350 baht a night . Well worth the effort to get the right hotel in the right location for the right price .

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    Quote Originally Posted by tattooddude
    I have just spent the last half day hunting down the best deals for my upcoming stay in Bangkok . Trawling through the websites that deal in hotel reservations , Agoda came up with the best price by a margin of 350 baht a night . Well worth the effort to get the right hotel in the right location for the right price .
    So which hotels or hotel did you book?

Last Online
    Sorry I don't know how to post links . I settled on Trinity Silom , 5 nights , late April .
    It works out roughly one night for free , if booking through Agoda versus Booking.com .
    With the heat rising in Bangkok , a reasonable pool is a necessity .

Last Online
    I was considering Galleria 12 Sukumvit , Abloom apartments and Bless residence . Silom is more convenient for my needs this time around .

RIP
    Last Online
    @
    There's a massive difference in price between Agoda and booking.com

Just entered dates etc for the same hotel and Agoda.com was a much better deal.

Last Online
    @
    Trivago compare them all. I use agoda, booking & hotels.com

Always worth checking the hotel sites direct. You may be surprised.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    29-07-2017 @ 04:31 AM
    I needed to order an extra night for my room in Bkk
    So I went up to the reception the lady said 2500b
    So I sat down for a minute and paid 1500b on agoda and kept the same room
    I still can't work this out as they must pay agoda commission
    Agoda works for me

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    yep agoda is 15-20%
    when a hotel signs up with a booking agent they sign an agreement NOT to offer the room for less
    many times i have asked the price on hotels and been told a higher price than agoda and have booked right in front of them online and checked in..... go figure

With Booking .com and pay at the hotel, the hotel at times has asked me if i want keep the booking.com reservation or merely checkin as a walk in, than the hotel can go to the booking.com extranet and check that the guest did NOT show up and save paying the commissions.

what i dont like about agoda is the price is ALWAYS less when u check first page as tax's /chargers are ADDED LATER.
    "I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol or insanity, but they've always worked for me" HST

View my pics

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    No OTA is cheaper than another. They all play with their commission rates to get an edge in various markets. Like any accommodation owner doing business with them I use a channel manager. It logs reservations, rates etc. This feeds to Booking.com et al

I have to pay 15% + tax. I can opt to pay more if I want my properties to appear higher in their search results The order of the search results is dictated primarily by algorithms taking into account total volume from each accom provider (which is why big hotel chains usually appear first). Other factors are fall out rate with bookings etc. So a hotel that has lots of guest cancellations will appear at the bottom of the search results and receive next to no bookings in the longer term.

Sometimes the OTAs offer a discount - perhaps 5-10% out of their own commission. They try to get owners to buy into this by saying it 's only for their "members" with 5+ bookings so a better quality guest. So you end up paying 20%! This means that they are offering a rate below that that will appear on my own on-line calendar as its that calendar/channel manager that's feeding into them.

Of course common sense says call the owner direct. I'll always offer the best rate as I don't want to give 15% + away...

The irony is that the real bastards of the market are companies like Airbnb. Millenial types buy in to the sharing economy PR nonsense and are happy to piss 20% of their accommodation cost at billionaires in San F rather than pick up a phone and have to interact with a person, not a keyboard.

If you want a deal phone the property direct. If they refuse to do a deal it's because the staff member you are talking to is not empowered to make decisions. Bear that in mind if you have a problem during your stay. They probably won't be empowered to fix it either.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    Quote Originally Posted by Chittychangchang View Post
    There's a massive difference in price between Agoda and booking.com

Just entered dates etc for the same hotel and Agoda.com was a much better deal.
    Just glitches. They are both owned by Priceline. The same company. Same commission structures. Just enough differentiation to convince punters they have a choice.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    I also suspect, based on observation of my rankings and volume of business elsewhere, that OTAs interpret bookings on the calendar feed from competitor OTAs and rank those properties receiving more bookings from competitors higher in their own listing to claw back market share.

They make estate agents look like angels. Meanwhile millennial libtard types think they are part of a sharing economy. Truly, I despair.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    no glitches, even though both owned by priceline the hotel sets its price for both (and all) hotel providers.
    NOT same commission structure,
    New hotels on booking.com start at 15% commission
    agoda 20%

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    no glitches, even though both owned by priceline the hotel sets its price for both (and all) hotel providers.
    agoda 20%
    Both at 15% in UK. Maybe different rates in different markets.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    Quote Originally Posted by Lostandfound View Post
    agoda 20%
    Both at 15% in UK. Maybe different rates in different markets.
    my market is thailand

note all providers also run affiliate programs and affiliates make different levels of commissions according to how many rooms they sell/month
    I setup the affiliate program for Planet holiday ( now called agoda) in 1999

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information