Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    R.I.P.
    Last Online
    @

School thinks my Buddhist child is a Nazi

My 10 year old son came home from school today. We're in England. In today's class they were asked to draw a "what I did this weekend" picture. What we did this weekend was go to a Buddhist temple in London. He drew a picture of this. On either side of the Buddha statue in his picture he also drew the Swastikas the temple had on panels beside the statue. The headmistress was informed and panic ensued. He was given detention, asked "was everything alright at home?" and made to write an essay about why the Swastika was evil.

My reaction? I have yet to decide if I will just go ballistic at the idiot teacher who did this or make an enormous fuss and take it all the way to the local education authority. Actually I have decided, all the way and enormous fuss it is. Morons!
    The Above Post May Contain Strong Language, Flashing Lights, or Violent Scenes.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    The system like you to follow the proceedure, head teacher, govenors, LEA. I think once you've educated the Head about her and the teachers ignorance an apology will forthcoming, if shes so arrogant that she can't accept their mistake put it to the govenors, I think it unlikely it'll get to the LEA.
    It wasn't me!

R.I.P.
    Last Online
    @
    Quote Originally Posted by Stinky View Post
    The system like you to follow the proceedure, head teacher, govenors, LEA. I think once you've educated the Head about her and the teachers ignorance an apology will forthcoming, if shes so arrogant that she can't accept their mistake put it to the govenors, I think it unlikely it'll get to the LEA.
    Right now I'm thinking I'll bring a couple of monks along to have a chat with the staff.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    That should do the trick, a couple of Hindus will do if you can't find Buddhists

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    27-03-2024 @ 06:29 AM
    Stupid, ignorant teacher. Go show her the error of her ways. Hope the incident didn't scar your boy.

I'm in Jail

Last Online
    08-02-2023 @ 01:23 PM
    Bob, as they say, the son is taught his father's ways.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    My reaction? I have yet to decide if I will just go ballistic at the idiot teacher who did this or make an enormous fuss and take it all the way to the local education authority. Actually I have decided, all the way and enormous fuss it is. Morons!
    quite right too.

i'm surprised your home hasnt been raided yet by the hate crimes squad, social services, immigration, and of course the community imam with his bearded henchmen and your abused children being whisked away and sold into adoption.

R.I.P.
    Last Online
    @
    Quote Originally Posted by Lantern View Post
    Stupid, ignorant teacher. Go show her the error of her ways. Hope the incident didn't scar your boy.
    It hasn't yet. He is upset though, as is his mum. This is the first time such a thing has happened, I will make damn sure it is the last!

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    29-07-2017 @ 04:31 AM
    Go get em Bob
    Overpaid baby sitters some of them
    I've got to be honest I feel sorry for the teacher after you have finished with him/ her
    But please answer my ignorance is there a symbol similar to a swastika on a temple

R.I.P.
    Last Online
    @
    Quote Originally Posted by jimbobs View Post
    Go get em Bob
    Overpaid baby sitters some of them
    I've got to be honest I feel sorry for the teacher after you have finished with him/ her
    But please answer my ignorance is there a symbol similar to a swastika on a temple
    The swastika is a fundamental Buddhist and Hindu symbol, for a couple of thousand years before the nazis got hold of it. No problem that you don't know that, why should you? But considering the emphasis we now put on mollycoddling religious types teachers should be aware of it. At the very least they should contact parents before deciding that a young child is a member of the Hitler youth.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    23-05-2020 @ 05:51 PM
    DrBob is a Nazi, I'd never have guessed, always comes across as a sweet caring type of bloke.....

Last Online
    18-07-2020 @ 11:25 PM

Decades of lefty influence in teaching.

I was a school governor for a few years, and it's quite amazing the dribble dross that falls out of headteachers' mouths, all the corporate business-speak.

Teachers are dummed down since New Labour... they are too scared and jumpy, they won't deviate from syllabus (i.e. be creative); nor will they put up a fight for common sense with regards to "elfy eton", "plitickle cracknus" "denigrating cybersity", and the latest ones about "terrah" and "extremizum"... is it any wonder it's so hard to recruit and retain decent people? They are now throwing £25k tax free at grads with Desmonds in anything to fill the ranks... the turnover is epic.

...anyway, back to your point... the headteacher is terrified of being hauled over the coals for missing some sign of a problem, so the solution comes by writing a polite but firm letter to them, inviting them to a temple for education about Buddhism and svastika, and remind them of their duties to increase cultural awareness in the school, and advise them that you may seek advice on this from the LEA (nice if you can get a name).

Funny if it was name like this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swastika_Mukherjee

Don't go too hard... remember you are dealing with people who don't understand, and stupid people are always more dangerous than intelligent people, because they can't be reasoned with.

As an aside, you can see this symbol has been popular in Yorkshire for millennia:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swastika_Stone

Other places too:
    The Indian High Commission (Embassy) in London, for example:

Swastika symbols seen in unusual places around the world, in pictures - Telegraph

R.I.P.
    Last Online
    @
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainNemo
    ...anyway, back to your point... the headteacher is terrified of being hauled over the coals for missing some sign of a problem, so the solution comes by writing a polite but firm letter to them, inviting them to a temple for education about Buddhism and svastika, and remind them of their duties to increase cultural awareness in the school, and advise them that you may seek advice on this from the LEA (nice if you can get a name).

Funny if it was name like this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swastika_Mukherjee

Don't go too hard... remember you are dealing with people who don't understand, and stupid people are always more dangerous than intelligent people, because they can't be reasoned with.
    Good advice, thanks. I admit I was going to go in all guns blazing but what you say makes very good sense.

Last Online
    18-07-2020 @ 11:25 PM
    The local primary school teacher recently started trying to "create a situation" with me over me teaching my kids to code in python, because I do push them a bit... because I have higher standards than the UK school system... but kids will say everything in their head when they're upset (about something else maybe), and care bears can leap on things and take them out of context and twist words... you need to play a straight bat, give no info more than the minimum, they'll provoke you and use it against you, if they can, it's part of their "training". You are in control of yourself, until you hand control over to them... which I would never do. Save yourself stress and play the culture card - if your kids are "mixed race" and "learning about their Asian culture"... make it hard for them to twist it against you, and insinuate something that isn't true... getting angry plays into their hands.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    Fuck this nice approach, Bob.

Burn the place down.

Ignorant Farang Coonts.

Thailand Expat

Last Online
    @
    Quote Originally Posted by DrB0b View Post

Good advice, thanks. I admit I was going to go in all guns blazing but what you say makes very good sense.
    The captain is right. First step is always firm, reasoned complaint in writing to the supervisor of the employee concerned.
    I would also ask how they intend to make up for the detention and essay;Your son will never get that time back and may even harbour guilt and uncertainty, which he shouldn't. An apology direct from the teacher to him, in front of the class where he was humiliated should suffice, and the teacher spending some time with the class teaching them her new-found knowledge.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    Quote Originally Posted by Maanaam View Post

The captain is right. First step is always firm, reasoned complaint in writing to the supervisor of the employee concerned.
    I would also ask how they intend to make up for the detention and essay;Your son will never get that time back and may even harbour guilt and uncertainty, which he shouldn't. An apology direct from the teacher to him, in front of the class where he was humiliated should suffice, and the teacher spending some time with the class teaching them her new-found knowledge.
    Nice intent, but this scene would never come about.
    The establishment's political integrity is a stake.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    14-04-2024 @ 05:55 AM
    Throw the ignorant cow at a muslim rape gang and fit it on an I Phone 6S

Last Online
    @
    Making a huge fuss about nothing.

Part of the problem, not the solution

Thailand Expat

Last Online
    @
    Quote Originally Posted by thaimeme
    Nice intent, but this scene would never come about.
    The establishment's political integrity is a stake.
    I think you're far too cynical on this matter.
    I have served on two school boards in NZ and feel strongly that the teacher will be educated by the Head or the board, she did nothing wrong but was just plain ignorant, and a pupil suffered because of it.
    As for the apology, I expect the Head to negotiate that down to a private but sincere apology.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    30-09-2023 @ 02:09 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Lantern View Post
    It hasn't yet. He is upset though, as is his mum. This is the first time such a thing has happened, I will make damn sure it is the last!
    there is no cure for ignorance. look in the mirror.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online

gasp.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    Quote Originally Posted by thaimeme View Post
    Fuck this nice approach, Bob.

Burn the place down.

Ignorant Farang Coonts.
    white people in england...... bloody foreigners.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    My 10 year old son came home from school today. We're in England. In today's class they were asked to draw a "what I did this weekend" picture. What we did this weekend was go to a Buddhist temple in London. He drew a picture of this. On either side of the Buddha statue in his picture he also drew the Swastikas the temple had on panels beside the statue. The headmistress was informed and panic ensued. He was given detention, asked "was everything alright at home?" and made to write an essay about why the Swastika was evil.

It's sad that people who are teachers are so ignorant and downright stupid.

Last Online
    @
    Didn't go to school in Thailand did he?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information