Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Last Online
    @
    Looks like they adjusted the plan to make the house a simple squarish shape. Lost your bathroom extension, so they pushed it into that "room" thereby making it smaller.

They also plan to build a wall down the center of the bathroom as well. Either to make it 2 separate small spaces or to make some kind of shower wall or something.

Can still use q-con, if you want, or just use block, because:

Quote Originally Posted by outdoorbloke
    inlaws told them to do it that way
    And clearly they have a mind of their own

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    01-04-2024 @ 03:22 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Slick View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by crepitas
    I also suspect that the expertise of Slick and some other professed knowledgeable posters is limited to google. 5555
    Google, yeah, and building a few houses here in Thailand, and, you know, I work for a living in a technical field, and ................
    Now don't be sensitive Slick .
    crepsss was just practising how to be cynical like me and didn't do it very well . But he's OK .

And I still love you !

Wasp

Last Online
    08-09-2017 @ 01:56 PM
    So Slick is the winner not only have the changed the shape into a square meaning the kitchen wont be undercover any more ,but they have also swapped the living room and bedroom around

Which mean I now have these great big living room windows point south getting the sun all day.

Is it just me or do thais not realize sun shine = hot

Im very rapidly getting to the point for just letting them build what ever they want as thats what they seem to be doing anyway.

I was just foolishly trying to build something that our kids could have in 20 years time when the inlaws are no longer in the picture

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    27-03-2017 @ 08:11 AM
    [quote=Wasp;3479812]
    Quote Originally Posted by Slick View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by crepitas
    I also suspect that the expertise of Slick and some other professed knowledgeable posters is limited to google. 5555
    Google, yeah, and building a few houses here in Thailand, and, you know, I work for a living in a technical field, and ................
    Now don't be sensitive Slick .
    crepsss was just practising how to be cynical like me and didn't do it very well . But he's OK .

And I still love you !

5555 how dare you accuse me of being somewhat inept at being cynical! I'll have you know that I received a healthy C- in both political science and religious studies.!!

Seems OP has given up ....55

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    Quote Originally Posted by outdoorbloke View Post

So Slick is the winner . Not only have they changed the shape into a square ... meaning the kitchen wont be undercover any more , but they have also swapped the living room and bedroom around

Which mean I now have these great big living room windows point south getting the sun all day.
    ( Fallang know NOTHING . )

Is it just me or do thais not realise sun shine means hot ??

I'm very rapidly getting to the point ofr just letting them build what ever they want as thats what they seem to be doing anyway.

Wasp
    Last edited by Wasp; 10-03-2017 at 12:04 AM.

Last Online
    25-09-2022 @ 09:45 AM
    !^^^ the last time I looked , the sun rose in the east and set in the west . This axis traversed the northern zone of the sky . Casting shadows towards the south . Direct sunlight onto south facing Windows is unlikely to happen .

Last Online
    @
    So Slick is the winner not only have the changed the shape into a square meaning the kitchen wont be undercover any more ,but they have also swapped the living room and bedroom around

Is it just me or do thais not realize sun shine = hot

Im very rapidly getting to the point for just letting them build what ever they want as thats what they seem to be doing anyway.

I was just foolishly trying to build something that our kids could have in 20 years time when the inlaws are no longer in the picture
    outdoorbloke ... Mate ... we feel your pain. None of want to say 'told you so' ... we just try and give our experience.

I'll tell you a story ... and it's naught to do with building. I live in Thailand some of my time and I live in the Out-Laws house ... I live with a heap of Thais ... I see everything that goes on.

The FiL has a Car, I also have one ... he drives mine sometimes when the Farm needs People transport as opposed to Farm transport.

My car has done 350,000 klms ... there was an idle issue, the car runs on gas. I have a 'gas' car in the West. When I had a problem with the Western Car from reading the Forums, everyome said, before doing anything, spend $12 and change the PCV valve ... you can do it yourself in 2 minutes.

I did ... and the car was sweet.

Had a problem with my car in Thailand, asked the FiL to change the PCV valve ... NO. Asked again politely, showed the youtube of how it works. He said maybe (which means NO) ... said he'd get one from a wrecker. I declined ... please buy new ... I'll pay.

Silence.

I have to go through the FiL to get the car fixed because he's mechanically minded, we live in his house and if I 'go over his head' ... he will lose face and interest in maintaining my car will be lost. And, apart from the PCV valve he takes excellent care of my car ... even spends some of his money on it.

The moral of that story is really, the Thai's will hear your words, but not often listen. The usual way to get a Thai to do what you want is to make your idea, become their idea.

READ THIS ...

outdoorbloke ...you are throwing the towel in too soon. You have the trump card in your hand ... your wallet actually ... you pay for everything.

I see there are 2 basic options:-

Ask to see the updated plan. Building work stops till you get one.
    Don't accept any excuses, get a measured plan.

Option 1 A/ Can you live with what they are building. I don't mean 'survive' in it, on completion, but actually enjoy it?

If so ... continue the build with the warning that ANY further deviations will not be tolerated, or financed.

Option 1 B/ Can you alter the basic footprint of what has been constructed thus far to suit your needs?

Option 2 ... HARDBALL ...

You don't get what you want ... you don't pay. SIMPLES

The attitude to take and to say to the Outlaws is ... we are building a small house for ourselves. When we are finished using the house, you may then use it.

Rather then ...

We are building a small house for you, the outlaws ... we need to use it first, but then it's yours ... which =

The roof isn't on, the walls aren't up.

Tell them, the original design ... that's how it's going to be built.

Good Luck with it all.
    Someone is sitting in the shade today because someone planted a tree a long time ago ...

R.I.P.
    Last Online
    15-11-2020 @ 07:58 PM
    I must say I agree with David.
    There are times when one really does need to put ones foot down.
    There may be tears, there may be sulks but, nevertheless it's your money and you have a say.

I've been incredibly fortunate in meeting and marrying Joy, my wife. We rarely argue or disagree.
    I doubt I'd have got through the last 18 months without her support.
    We respect each others space and enjoy each others company BUT on a couple of occasions over the last 10 years I've realised that we're going to have a bit of a head to head.
    That's the way it goes.
    Doesn't take long. Ones foot is firmly put down, ones position made clear and that is the way it is going to be.
    End of story.

I've always thought long and hard before insisting on my position and honestly within a matter of days everything is cool again.

No hard feelings either way.

But it was necessary for my well being and our future together.

No regrets at all on either side.

Good luck to you mate.
    Last edited by crackerjack101; 09-03-2017 at 08:06 PM.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    Lessons to be learned from experience and exposure.

Perhaps, it'll be better in the next life.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    Quote Originally Posted by crepitas View Post
    I'll have you know that I received a healthy C- in both political science and religious studies.!!
    You could have been Senator Father Crepp !!!!

Wasp

Last Online
    @
    Quote Originally Posted by crackerjack101
    There are times when one really does need to put ones foot down.
    Luckily I did that right from the start. I told her how it was going to be with her family.Them on the other side of the gate, us on this side. And I give no monies.
    We're still together after 12 years with 3 kids. I've never paid, or given her family, a bean. Not even a Sin Sot to her mother.
    To be honest, they've never asked for money as far as I know. But I'm sure my missus has told them at some time not to ask.
    Does no harm to set yer stall out from dot one.

Last Online
    08-11-2020 @ 05:50 AM
    Prag's got it right, I did the same, told her if she wants to give her family money, it's her money, she has borrowed from me occasionally but always pays me back, been married 8 years and haven't had a problem yet.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    27-03-2017 @ 08:11 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tattooddude View Post
    !^^^ the last time I looked , the sun rose in the east and set in the west . This axis traversed the northern zone of the sky . Casting shadows towards the south . Direct sunlight onto south facing Windows is unlikely to happen .
    If you are in the antipodes that would be true but Thailand is north of the equator...just saying..55

Last Online
    Just a quick photo update as I have been super busy getting everything for the house . Complaints will follow not really a happy camper

Last Online
    @
    Who's the house next door belong to?

Last Online
    Just another village person no one of significance why do you ask

Last Online
    Ok not for the list of complaints

So you can see from the photos the "fantastic" job they did on the concrete floor.
    I called him out on the welding job / lack there of and he quickly came up with the excuse that they had just tacked it on.
    Never know some one to tack something on all 4 sides but I will be checking that he has fixed it.

He has been playing games on materials and actually Turning up to do the job the wife told him right from the start that we wanted it built quickly and he was only to work on our job. But even today he was off doing another job.

Wife Is cranky with him and is looking around for other options
    As has been said before on this forum homepros service is woeful to say the least
    On the other hand been dealing with a company called SKG they are amazing customer service is the best I have experienced both in Australia and Thailand.

As for the design it has changed slightly we are now doing two bedrooms.

On the design front I had a 3D model of the house printed before I left Australia that was the best thing I ever did been invaluable in explaining things and even the thais have been using it.

Well that's my update for now been a very stressfull and busy start to the build

Also the Thai family is really annoying me even the wife is pissed off with mum and dad it is there house but they refuse to go Supervise the build and we have had to go buy supplies etc so workmanship that could have been corrected if some one had been on site hasn't been

Last Online
    @
    Quote Originally Posted by outdoorbloke
    Just another village person no one of significance why do you ask
    It's too close. Thais are very good at defining their space with markers. In the pictures I see no defining markers leading me to think it's the inlaws old house or it's a family member.

Last Online
    @
    Outdoorbloke when I had my house built the builders sent me into depression. My only advice to you is that you have to be on site for the whole build. Check their work every day after they finish. If you don't like something make them correct it prior to moving on the next day. If there was work I wanted done the farang way I used to do the work myself. I could never rely on them to carry out my instructions. It was always the Thai way with them irrespective.

Last Online
    It's just a perspective to photo the house is at a minimum 2 meters from the boundary there are markers as it is chanote land you just can't see them in te picture. We also have the base of our fence running all the way around just haven't had the money to build the fence

Last Online
    @
    One fault I can see other than the welds is that they normally always paint the metal with red oxide before putting up. Doing it first makes it easier than when in place.
    That really isn't a house but two units I'm sorry to say. But in building work finish is everything.

Last Online
    I agree with you they will be painting it with primer I will be making sure of that. I haven't bought the paint for them yet so that was my fault. I am just glad it isn't my house per say so my care factor isn't as high that's not to say I don't care just not as much

Last Online
    My q-con arrived along with the render I got the render early to save on delivery fees
    Sure looks like heavy work unloading it. I was keen to give it a try but the wouldent let me.

Last Online
    And the builder got straight to work on the walls

Last Online
    @
    Looking better. As I said before, finish is everything. Who's electric meter are they using by the way?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information