Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
    Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    06-09-2020 @ 10:42 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Maanaam View Post
    So, is there a new rule that says that people with a non O, multi-entry visa who have to go out of the country every 90 days have to stay out for a night, or is this a thing by the local Immigration boss because he has a hotel on the Malaysian side?
    There is NO official rule about the length of time a person is required to stay out of the country holding a valid multi-entry visa to thailand of ANY type when they are activating a new entry.

Now if you're talkin' about the southern border crossings with Malaysia, they are a fiefdom of their own. They make up imaginary rules and buffalo people into thinking that's the rule..

Up Bangkok way, the border at Aranyaphrathet - Poipet (Cambodia) is the same way. They're telling people at that crossing they can't "border-bounce" to activate another entry on their visa without staying out of thailand 24 hours.

It has nothing to do with people who are border-bouncing for a visa exempt entry stamp. Especially seeing as the new rule only allows TWO visa exempt entries by any land border in a calendar year.

It is an attempted shakedown plain and simple.

Thailand Expat

Last Online
    @
    Quote Originally Posted by toddaniels View Post
    So, is there a new rule that says that people with a non O, multi-entry visa who have to go out of the country every 90 days have to stay out for a night, or is this a thing by the local Immigration boss because he has a hotel on the Malaysian side?
    There is NO official rule about the length of time a person is required to stay out of the country holding a valid multi-entry visa to thailand of ANY type when they are activating a new entry.

Now if you're talkin' about the southern border crossings with Malaysia, they are a fiefdom of their own. They make up imaginary rules and buffalo people into thinking that's the rule..

Up Bangkok way, the border at Aranyaphrathet - Poipet (Cambodia) is the same way. They're telling people at that crossing they can't "border-bounce" to activate another entry on their visa without staying out of thailand 24 hours.

It has nothing to do with people who are border-bouncing for a visa exempt entry stamp. Especially seeing as the new rule only allows TWO visa exempt entries by any land border in a calendar year.

It is an attempted shakedown plain and simple.
    Thanks for that. Yep, southern border with Malaysia.

Thailand Expat

Last Online
    01-05-2022 @ 06:28 AM
    It is about time to do my 90 day check in for my retirement visa, can I do it at any immigration office or only the won where I got the extension?

Last Online
    @
    Quote Originally Posted by RPETER65 View Post
    It is about time to do my 90 day check in for my retirement visa, can I do it at any immigration office or only the won where I got the extension?
    Cant do it online ?

Last Online
    Today @ 06:30 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by RPETER65
    only the won where I got the extension
    Or
    Quote Originally Posted by Fondles
    do it online

Last Online
    @
    Quote Originally Posted by Fondles View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RPETER65 View Post
    Cant do it online ?
    It's still down.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    When I do my 90 day exit on my 1 year Non-Immigrant O multiple entry visa, I just drive the 50 kms to Nong Kai, go across into Lao and loop around and come right back into Thailand. The entire process of obtaining a Lao visa, taking the bus across the bridge, turning around and exiting Lao back into Thailand takes me about 45 minutes depending on the number of people traveling the Friendship Bridge.

I have been doing this process for several years and never a word from either side as long as I fill out the paperwork properly.

Last Online
    29-05-2017 @ 11:37 PM
    Thank you Todd for all the info!!!

Last Online
    Today @ 05:25 PM
    Exchange rate of pension to be added to Thai banked funds for 6 months prior to applying for an extension to stay.

I will be applying on the basis of "Retirement" in November. The sum required is 800,000 THB of Income per year

My income will be cash deposited in a Thai bank account for 6 months plus some pensions.

My question is this:

When is the pension portion, paid in GBPs, converted to THB? The pension documnet required from the UK Embassy is an annual amount in GBP.

Is the GBP/THB exchange rate calculation accepted as the one at the date when required to meet the "seasoning 6 months" i.e. May 2018 and 44 THB/GBP

or

the exchange rate at the date of the application i.e. November. and possibly 35+ THB/GBP ?

As the GBP/THB exchange rate is dropping at the moment, the banked amount will necessarily need constant topping up if it continues falling. Which of course defeats the "seasoning 6 months" requirement.

Or is one expected to know the FX rates 6 months hence and plan accordingly?
    Last edited by OhOh; 17-08-2018 at 10:27 PM.
    A tray full of GOLD is not worth a moment in time.

Thailand Expat

Last Online
    Today @ 12:36 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by OhOh View Post
    Exchange rate of pension to be added to Thai banked funds for 6 months prior to applying for an extension to stay.

I will be applying on the basis of "Retirement" in November. The sum required is 800,000 THB of Income per year

My income will be cash deposited in a Thai bank account for 6 months plus some pensions.

My question is this:

When is the pension portion, paid in GBPs, converted to THB? The pension documnet required from the UK Embassy is an annual amount in GBP.

Is the GBP/THB exchange rate calculation accepted as the one at the date when required to meet the "seasoning 6 months" i.e. May 2018 and 44 THB/GBP

or

the exchange rate at the date of the application i.e. November. and possibly 35+ THB/GBP ?

As the GBP/THB exchange rate is dropping at the moment, the banked amount will necessarily need constant topping up if it continues falling. Which of course defeats the "seasoning 6 months" requirement.

Or is one expected to know the FX rates 6 months hence and plan accordingly?
    As with everything else in Thai immigration, it will depend on the office you use, and the officer with the rubber stamps.
    IME with two different offices in the south, the officer has asked me what the exchange rate was, before using the rubber stamp.
    You are probably better off using one of the many ‘schemes’ on offer to have someone process your application for you.

R.I.P.

Last Online
    02-09-2018 @ 07:55 PM
    When did this 6 months happen?

I have always matured money for 3 months prior to extension to stay date.

I am not a cat
    Last Online
    @

I do not understand this. Once the money is banked in Thailand, surely the exchange rate no longer affects it?

The only criteria is the money in the Thai bank - not how much GBP you used to put the money there?

Last Online
    @
    That seems to make sense, hence the problem!

Last Online
    @
    Perhaps OhOh has a foreign currency account in a Thai bank.

Thailand Expat

Last Online
    @
    Quote Originally Posted by nidhogg View Post
    I do not understand this. Once the money is banked in Thailand, surely the exchange rate no longer affects it?

The only criteria is the money in the Thai bank - not how much GBP you used to put the money there?
    I think the exchange rate aspect is to do with income from abroad when doing a combined "what's in my Thai account plus what I'm regularly receiving" case.

Last Online
    I think the exchange rate aspect is to do with income from abroad when doing a combined "what's in my Thai account plus what I'm regularly receiving" case.
    Seems that is the case. Foreign income + baht in local bank = 800k.
    Non-immigrant visa O-A (long stay) will be required. The exchange rate of foreign income will be at the time the visa is issued.

Quote Originally Posted by birding View Post
    I have always matured money for 3 months prior to extension to stay date.
    That is what is needed for annual extension to stay.

R.I.P.

Last Online
    Thanks Norton, 6 months would have seen me deep in the poo.

It is calculated in Thai Baht therefor what is already in the Thai bank is in Thai Baht so exchange rate has no bearing on that.

It is the money that is brought into the country either the whole 800kb or what is required to top up to 800kb that is subject to an exchange rate.

You will also require a letter from your Embassy to confirm where the top up money came from. The easiest way to show this, to the Embassy, if you are on a pension is to take along along the letter (you should get one) from your Govt or previous employer detailing how much pension has been paid to you in the calendar year it is also a good idea to take along an overseas bank book for the account the money was paid into so the funds can be cross referenced.

If not on a pension then there is a good chance the embassy will ask for proof of where the money came from, for they are signing a legal document and need to cover their ass.

Deposit a small amount in the account before you get the bank letter, for immigration will want to be sure the money is in the bank on the day you apply. If you do not do this the last transaction will be shown and that may be 3 months back.

Last Online
    Today @ 05:25 PM
    Thank you all for chipping in.

Quote Originally Posted by Norton View Post
    That is what is needed for annual extension to stay.
    As Norton post the time is 3 months. I checked with my info and it does say 3 months "seasoning" is required.

As for my concern I will explain.

My route for extending my Thai AO visa is by the "Retirement" option. Purely as the "paperwork" required is less and I can manage the collection my self and it has been a very easy quick process in the past.

The requirements is for an income of at least 800,000, which can be pension amounts, bank deposit amounts or a combination of the both.

The paperwork for this is:

1. Sundry Thai bank info -

1. A letter on the date of extension issue confirming the amount in the Thai bank account.
    2. Up to date copies of the bank account passbook confirming the "cash in bank" amount has been "seasoned" for 3 months

2. An official, embossed statement from the UK Embassy in Bangkok confirming the amounts of my pensions. To obtain this paperwork is required from the pension providers to the Bangkok Embassy for their perusal and confirmation.

3. Two photographs.

So minimal time and effort and a one hour procedure.

For example of the split. If I had confirmed pensions of say 15,000 GBP last year at an exchange rate of 43 the amount in THB would have been 645,000THB. To top that up to the 800,000 THB required, I would have had to have 155,000 THB or more for the 3 month seasoning+s.

This year, because of the FX rate which was 43, some 3 months ago, is now near 41 THB / GBP the pension amount is now only 15,000 x 41 = 615,000 THB. To top that up to the 800,000 THB required I would have had to have 185,000 THB or more for the 3 months.

In three months time if the FX rate drops another few baht to say 38 THB / GBP the pension amount will only be worth 15,000 x 38 = 570,000 THB. Which would mean there is a requirement for the Thai bank amount to have remained above 230,000 THB or more for the 3 months.

It appears from comments here that the FX rate used, is the rate of the day one applies for the extension. If so to ensure sufficient funds are being seasoned one has to foresee the exchange rate 3 months hence. As the Thai requirement is for the money to be seasoned for three months I assumed that the Fx rate at that date would be the one used. Which may have been an error.

As this is the first time for the FX rate to move like this for me, it's new territory. Hence my query here.
    Last edited by OhOh; 19-08-2018 at 01:41 AM.

Thailand Expat

Last Online
    01-05-2022 @ 06:28 AM
    Thank you all for chipping in.

As Norton post the time is 3 months. I checked with my info and it does say 3 months "seasoning" is required.

As for my concern I will explain.

My route for extending my Thai AO visa is by the "Retirement" option. Purely as the "paperwork" required is less and I can manage the collection my self and it has been a very easy quick process in the past.

The requirements is for an income of at least 800,000, which can be pension amounts, bank deposit amounts or a combination of the both.

The paperwork for this is:

1. Sundry Thai bank info -

1. A letter on the date of extension issue confirming the amount in the Thai bank account.
    2. Up to date copies of the bank account passbook confirming the "cash in bank" amount has been "seasoned" for 3 months

2. An official, embossed statement from the UK Embassy in Bangkok confirming the amounts of my pensions. To obtain this paperwork is required from the pension providers to the Bangkok Embassy for their perusal and confirmation.

3. Two photographs.

So minimal time and effort and a one hour procedure.

For example of the split. If I had confirmed pensions of say 15,000 GBP last year at an exchange rate of 43 the amount in THB would have been 645,000THB. To top that up to the 800,000 THB required, I would have had to have 155,000 THB or more for the 3 month seasoning+s.

This year, because of the FX rate which was 43, some 3 months ago, is now near 41 THB / GBP the pension amount is now only 15,000 x 41 = 615,000 THB. To top that up to the 800,000 THB required I would have had to have 185,000 THB or more for the 3 months.

In three months time if the FX rate drops another few baht to say 38 THB / GBP the pension amount will only be worth 15,000 x 38 = 570,000 THB. Which would mean there is a requirement for the Thai bank amount to have remained above 230,000 THB or more for the 3 months.

It appears from comments here that the FX rate used, is the rate of the day one applies for the extension. If so to ensure sufficient funds are being seasoned one has to foresee the exchange rate 3 months hence. As the Thai requirement is for the money to be seasoned for three months I assumed that the Fx rate at that date would be the one used. Which may have been an error.

As this is the first time for the FX rate to move like this for me, it's new territory. Hence my query here.

Are are you saying the British Embacy requires proof of your pension before issuing an official letter stating as much,at the US Embacy I just fill in the amount of my retirement income on the letter and the Embacy notary stamps and signs.

Thailand Expat

Last Online
    05-02-2022 @ 08:29 AM
    this where planning your living in thailand NEEDS more than just planning,you need a little bit more than what you think you can live on,a state pension[uk] no longer covers your needs. having 800,000bht.in a thai bank needs to be left in there so there's no hassle with immigration or exchange rates.this is where you need to use your loaf,thailand is no longer a cheap place to live with PLENTY of hidden exs. you never can rely on a pension,you got to have some reserve,in case the PINK buffalo passes away.
    my retirement extension [800k] has been in a fixed acc.for the past 7yrs.and immigration now this and they only ask what do you live on,i then show them my account book which has my pension paid into once a yr.so anyone think they can come here and live on a shoe string had better think again.
    and finally dont think the exchange rate you get is always the same,ITS NOT i have seen 97bht./gbp.and 41.this is where a lot of expats get caught out.

Last Online
    I would have had to have 155,000 THB or more for the 3 month seasoning+s
    I would put 200k baht in bank in anticipation of further exchange rate loss over the 3 month period,

Last Online
    Quote Originally Posted by headhunter View Post
    my retirement extension [800k] has been in a fixed acc.for the past 7yrs.and immigration now this and they only ask what do you live on,i then show them my account book which has my pension paid into once a yr
    This is most common. Top up to 800k baht in local bank 3 months prior to extension saves a lot of worry about exchange rates.

Last Online
    @
    Quote Originally Posted by headhunter View Post
    my retirement extension [800k] has been in a fixed acc.for the past 7yrs.and immigration now this and they only ask what do you live on,
    I'm in a similar position. I never touch my 800 G's but they always ask 'what do you live on?' I'm not obligated to divulge that as it's not part of the procedure. Now if I was doing an under the table extension whereby they were obtaining tea-money there'd be no questions asked. Hypocritical bastards.

At one time I had my 800 G's in a fixed term 'Credit Union Teachers Cooperative'. Not a problem for 2 years, earning 6% interest. Then last year the smart arse officer declared a 'Credit Union' wasn't a bank and refused my extension. Once again, hypocritical bastards.
    Last edited by Pragmatic; 19-08-2018 at 09:42 AM.

R.I.P.

Last Online
    You still have to put something (100b) into the bank account on the day you get the bank letter as proof the amount is in the account on that day, for your bank book and letter will show the date of the last transaction.

Last Online
    @
    Quote Originally Posted by birding View Post
    for your bank book and letter will show the date of the last transaction.
    The last update is the day you obtain your letter surely?

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread Information