Thread: Laos
View Single Post
Old 25-02-2017, 08:01 PM   #13 (permalink)
justme2017

justme2017 is just really nice on this Thai Forumjustme2017 is just really nice on this Thai Forumjustme2017 is just really nice on this Thai Forumjustme2017 is just really nice on this Thai Forumjustme2017 is just really nice on this Thai Forumjustme2017 is just really nice on this Thai Forumjustme2017 is just really nice on this Thai Forumjustme2017 is just really nice on this Thai Forumjustme2017 is just really nice on this Thai Forumjustme2017 is just really nice on this Thai Forumjustme2017 is just really nice on this Thai Forumjustme2017 is just really nice on this Thai Forum
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNemo View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by thaimeme View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNemo View Post
Did you know that the word "Laos" comes simply from English speakers writing the plural of Lao on a map... as in "there are Laos/Lao people here".
The name "Laoland" makes more sense.
Actually, the term LAOS is a modern French derivative
...it's not French, it's English... 1 Lao, 2 Laos...

The Siamese used the English term to describe the peoples under their suzerainty in their treaties with the French, who adopted it, thinking it was a local name... then it gets passed back into English as an exotic name... but it really isn't that exotic... it's just a plural.
I think the French did originally call the country "Laos" but the s was silent so it was pronounced "Lao" in French. I lived in Laos for a decade and this is always the explanation I was given over the name.
Later the English speaking countries mispronounced the silent s.
justme2017 is offline   Reply With Quote

Page generated in 0.09407 seconds with 19 queries