Thread: Laos
View Single Post
Old 25-02-2017, 08:01 PM   #13 (permalink)
justme2017

justme2017 is a glorious beacon of light in Thailandjustme2017 is a glorious beacon of light in Thailandjustme2017 is a glorious beacon of light in Thailandjustme2017 is a glorious beacon of light in Thailandjustme2017 is a glorious beacon of light in Thailandjustme2017 is a glorious beacon of light in Thailandjustme2017 is a glorious beacon of light in Thailandjustme2017 is a glorious beacon of light in Thailandjustme2017 is a glorious beacon of light in Thailandjustme2017 is a glorious beacon of light in Thailandjustme2017 is a glorious beacon of light in Thailandjustme2017 is a glorious beacon of light in Thailand
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNemo View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by thaimeme View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNemo View Post
Did you know that the word "Laos" comes simply from English speakers writing the plural of Lao on a map... as in "there are Laos/Lao people here".
The name "Laoland" makes more sense.
Actually, the term LAOS is a modern French derivative
...it's not French, it's English... 1 Lao, 2 Laos...

The Siamese used the English term to describe the peoples under their suzerainty in their treaties with the French, who adopted it, thinking it was a local name... then it gets passed back into English as an exotic name... but it really isn't that exotic... it's just a plural.
I think the French did originally call the country "Laos" but the s was silent so it was pronounced "Lao" in French. I lived in Laos for a decade and this is always the explanation I was given over the name.
Later the English speaking countries mispronounced the silent s.
justme2017 is offline   Reply With Quote

Page generated in 0.09593 seconds with 19 queries