Page 23 of 43 FirstFirst ... 13151617181920212223242526272829303133 ... LastLast
    I'm in Jail

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 12:07 PM
    Actually I had both feet in at the river that came from under the mountain. My biggest regret was not jumping in at Tad Fane. That would have made the best gopro shot ever.
    I haven't even started going through that stuff yet. I'll get there don't you worry about that.

Wasn't that MacArthur that said "I shall return."

I am in Jail
    Last Online
    12-03-2019 @ 09:53 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by fishlocker
    My biggest regret was not jumping in at Tad Fane. That would have made the best gopro shot ever.
    The fish in the water.

Don't be shy, fish out of water pics appreciated as well!

I'm in Jail

Last Online

Across from Wat Si Saket is The Haw Pha Kaew. The original structure of this temple- turned-museum was destroyed by the Siamese in 1827. It was reconstructed under the supervision of the Lao Prince Souvanna Phouma, a french trained engineer and later prime minister of the country during the french colonial period.

Ironically, it is named for a precious piece of religious art, the Pha Kaew ( Emerald Buddha), which is no longer here. Made of Jade, it is as important an icon as the Phabang in Luang Phrabang. However it was siezed by the Siamese in 1779 and has remained in Wat Phra Kaew in Bangkok ever since.

I'm in Jail

Last Online

The grounds are well manicured and the Wat houses a museum. It's worth a stroll through if you are in the area.

I'm in Jail

Last Online

I believe this was taken in Wat Si Saket. I'm not 100 percent on this as we went to many temples that day.

I'm in Jail

Last Online

I took this pic of a group of Japanese tourists on the viewing platform of the cave. A crap pic I know. It was kinda a joke at the time because the lady taking the photo had her friends posing for a long time while she fiddled with her camera. I walked up behind her and said "say cheese" they all laughed as I snapped the shot. Her friend still fiddling with her camera. But I'm certain she took the better shot as mine is crap.

I'm in Jail

Last Online

This Buddha was just inside the cave at the viewing terrace above.

I'm in Jail

Last Online
    Quote Originally Posted by fishlocker View Post

I took this pic of a group of Japanese tourists on the viewing platform of the cave. A crap pic I know. It was kinda a joke at the time because the lady taking the photo had her friends posing for a long time while she fiddled with her camera. I walked up behind her and said "say cheese" they all laughed as I snapped the shot. Her friend still fiddling with her camera. But I'm certain she took the better shot as mine is crap.
    Thinking back she may have had a nice Yashica. You know what I'm talking about.

Last Online
    07-05-2019 @ 12:49 PM

I believe this was taken in Wat Si Saket. I'm not 100 percent on this as we went to many temples that day.
    Wat Si Muang, in VTE. But you are forgiven after so many temples

I'm in Jail

Last Online
    Thanks for the correction. It is much appreciated.

As is often the case I don't know Wat I'm talking about.
    Last edited by fishlocker; 13-02-2017 at 10:05 PM.

Last Online
    20-03-2024 @ 04:21 PM
    Thanks for the correction. It is much appreciated.

As is often the case I don't know Wat I'm talking about.
    So Wat! you're doing a great job, Fish. Keep it up!

Last Online
    13-11-2020 @ 04:02 AM
    Katooey are considered Good Luck by many businesses. So you will see them in Northern Thai & Lao Restaurants & some businesses. Frequently they speak much better English than other locals.

Last Online

The Mekong is beyond the tree line. He rents it out to the guy on the left and his wife. He said if I want it it's mine. I said I have no need at this time keeping the option open for a later date.

It would make a nice getaway from the farm just to build a small place here.
    I doubt Farangs can actually buy fee Simple Land in Laos. Probably you can only buy it in your Wife's name. In Thailand you can only personally buy land if you have a company employing 4 full time employees. You must be very careful to determine who the actual landowner is on the title. Many a Ferang has run afoul of Land Titles in S/E Asia. Frequently the land is actually owned by the "Royal Assets" which historically owned all land in Thailand. Sometimes local Wats, Municipalities, Villages own the land. The land seller may only lease or squat on the land. Be very careful. Many times, extended families have an interest in the land title.

Last Online
    Definitely tour the Kong Lor Caves, east of Thakhek. 7.5km underground stream. My Issan Thai GF & I went there in 2011. We also went thru Savannakhet, Pakse & Wat Phu. All very interesting. The local buses between the cities were a bit rough. Heavily overloaded. The Mini Buses were also packed. Next time I'd just fly between the main cities. I rented Automatic Scooters in each town & we toured around.

Last Online
    Vang Vieng is a shadow of it's former hedonistic lifestyle. For 20 years it was THE PLACE for stoner backpackers to party & let off steam. The "Good Old Days" of smoking a big fat joint, while float tubing down the River, watching all the uninhibited stoned, drunk Farangs doing massive swings out over & slides into the river are sadly gone. The Lao Govt finally had enough of the farang deaths & serious injuries, so they shut the whole shebang down overnight. The local economy near collapsed.

I'm in Jail

Last Online
    Thanks for the tip on land purchases. They do have some form of titles and I'll be the first to admit I know little to nothing about them. I have seen what I would call a plat map. They do use monuments and take surveys. I was witness to a deal that I mention in the thread. I must say I never had to put a thumb print on any deed but they do.

The guy and his wife made certain it was a "proper title" so yea I guess they own a piece down the road from the farm.

If he were to "give" me a piece I know I would not own it. As far as I know I cant own squat in Laos. To build the farm house was no big deal. Just had to wait for dry season so they could truck in the materials. The road is kinda crappy. They call it my house but that is so I have to buy the paint , well pump ect. HaHa.

Mil does not let anyone upstairs at the farm. There are two bedrooms down stairs and she has one. She keeps the place up for us and she has a nice base to operate out of as all three of her daughters are at the farm every day working. Her old house is now used for dry storage.

One thing for certain is I can't take it with me when I go If you catch my drift.

Not too far down the road from BILs spread there were three or four new houses being built. He said they work in Thailand and build in Laos. Seems pretty common as younger bil did the same.

I have some pics from a guy north of us that is building two houses. Some real nice wood work. I'll post some pics when I get the time. Been busy with work and miss fish is still down in Texas so I have to pack my own lunch, clean house, do dishes, laundry. I hear the drone of a fiddle in the background as a tear lands in my beer.

Peace out, the fish.

I'm in Jail

Last Online
    Time it was and what a lovely time it was.
    A time of innocence
    A time of confidences.
    Long ago it must be I have a photograph.

Preserve your memories .

They're all that's left you.
    Last edited by fishlocker; 24-02-2017 at 03:07 PM.

I'm in Jail

Last Online

I'm in Jail

Last Online
    I was half way up to the falls on the right . Piss your pants . I know a kid that will take you there just for fun. What is you're life worth?

I'm in Jail

Last Online
    Don't be afraid. The guy likes to play Scorpions.Yes for 85usd he can take you there. The kid is all wright.

Here we go again on the wings of a star.

I would try to mend the things
    Last edited by fishlocker; 24-02-2017 at 05:04 PM.

I'm in Jail

Last Online

You see it's all clear ,
    you were meant to be here.

I'm in Jail

Last Online
    I was saying what could go wrong and then there was this.

I'm in Jail

Last Online
    There might have been things I missed
    But don't be unkind
    It don't mean I'm blind
    Perhaps there's a thing or two
    I think of lying in bed
    I shouldn't have said
    But there it is.

I'm in Jail

Last Online

I'm in Jail

Last Online

I was a bit tanked yesterday. Loneliness and alcohol are good company. I hope I don't lead by example.
    No I'm not picking on you. Silly bitches.
    This is from the boat building guys zone. Yes they have a zone of their own.

Page 23 of 43 FirstFirst ... 13151617181920212223242526272829303133 ... LastLast

Thread Information