Last Online
    @

Thailand - Bangers, Beer Garden, Band - Bloody ripper!

INTRO:-

When I used to visit Bangkok, I appreciated the Suan Lum Night Bazaar next to Lumpini Park.

Cheap Eats, Outdoor venue, Girls ... Bangers, Beer Garden, Band - Bloody ripper!

But it closed a few years ago and have been searching for something that came close in atmosphere.

On Sunday night we visited Miami Bayside Sukhumvit, Samut Prakan at the behest of a Staff Member we are related to.

In true Thai Style ... same, but different.
    Same Cheap Eats, Outdoor venue, Girls ... Bangers, Beer Garden, Band - Bloody ripper! ... just a smaller venue.

We were sat at the back of the venue. Early in the night, maybe 7ish, Sunday night.
    Much smaller scale the the old night market, but a similar vibe.

A 360o pan.
    Same theme as the old night market.
    Open Venue
    Live Band
    Customer seating
    Framing that are food vendors

---

SUPPLEMENTARY ATTRACTIONS:-

We sat in front of the 'SamutPrakan Eye', for want of a better name ... and yes, it does tower above the site.
    It goes very slowly around.
    You get one revolution per fare.
    Adult = 80
    Kid = 50

I thought my kids might get a bit scared ... but they apparently LOVED it.

Then there, of course, is the actual Night Market ... it was decent, without being notable.
    The main drawcard was the central square and the band, beer and to a lesser extend ... the Girls.

---

THE GIRLS:-

We know Staff who work there we got some 'Mates Rates' and the Staff did seem to take good care of us.

Like any place, be a 7/11 or a Girly Bar ... there some lookers, some keepers and some you were just happy if they served you beer.

In no particular order ...

Genuine Smile, seemed a pleasant Lass, but we ween't served by her ... no English to speak of.

Good Worker ... actually, no-one seemed to rest on their laurels.

Wasn't serving our area ... so a bit of a crappy shot.

We had this Lassie, hence the 2 images.
    Pleasant enough and had a little English. Maybe that's why she was assigned to our table.
    Also, you can see the place is only, maybe 1/2 full.
    Give that an hour and it was 'wait please sir' as the Tables were full.

I'm not sure 100%, but I think these girls worked for the Leo Company
    as opposed to working for the Bar.

Flattering photo ... not as good in real life.

Best for last ... must have been the only smile she cracked all night,
    but one of the best workers.
    Tall .. I like 'em Tall ...

My understanding also is that the Girls aren't 'Available' as they sometimes
    are in other Venues.

So, that was maybe 60% of the Staff (in photos).
    Difficult to make photos from a stationary position long distance.
    My two, 3 yo rugrats were sat either side.

My understanding is that the non-full time staff earn a salary of 300 - 400 Baht a night.

And tips average out about the same. Tip goes straight to girl.
    The Owner doesn't take a cut, nor are they pooled.
    Apparently a nice guy to work for also.

---

THE BAND:-

Catering purely for the Thai Clientele.

Soft Rock, some Pop and thankfully NO COUNTRY MUSIC !

I'm no musician, but they sounded good to me.

---

CLIENTELE:-

Definitely catering for the Thais.

In the crowd of thousands who thronged through the Market, I was the only white guy.

Like the Wait Staff ... some lookers, mostly average and the fuglies.

We had the MiL with us and I reckon she was the oldest one there.

So, a generally 'youngish' crowd.

Confession, I was a little taken by a patron sitting close by ... had to get snaps without being obvious.

---

PRICES:-

Not my squeeze, but another 'related party'. No English, just sharing the table.

A 3 litre tower will set you back BHT 400

A 1 litre Jug is BHT 180

I though it was good value, given the atmosphere, service, band and you never felt pressured for drinks.

---

WHEN and WHERE:-

OPEN:- 6 nights a week TUES - SUN. Closed Monday night. Band every night Tues - Sun

^ Being an outdoor venure, that might change in the Rainy Season.

NAME:- Miami Bayside Sukhumvit, Samut Prakan
    Public Transport. Take the BTS to Bearing (end of the line) Exit #1 or #3 and take a taxi. Those exits put you on the 'right' side of Sukhumvit Rd.
    No idea about Busses ... it's Mini Van territory out there.

Driving ... assuming you are coming from an expressway or along Old Sukhumvit Rd itself, simply look for the coordinates for Ancient Siam ... it's almost directly opposite.
    Did a google search, in English and this reference was the best I could uncover ... https://en.klaiklai.com/address/TH1028057654738

Sign posts to look for ...

Once on Old Sukhumvit Rd approaching Ancient Siam on your left, look for the wheel (Samut Prakan Eye) turning. There is a U-Turn directly opposite where you park ... but you'd be a brave man to cross the 3 lanes of traffic there to enter.

Better to stay on Sukhumvit Road, pass Miami Bayside on your right, pass Ancient Siam on your left and continue maybe a kilometre further down the road (it seems like ages when you are looking for it) and U-turn at the next available opportunity.
    Easy to spot that one as it's adjacent the local Honda Dealership and there is a tall Honda sign, white with the red H.

U-Turn there, past MacDonalds on the left and slow as that is near the entrance.

At the time of posting, the entry to the car-park is just a little further past Miami Bayside and there was, on the night, private security waving you in and was well organised.

Maybe someone can provide a better map or GS reference?

VERDICT:- RECOMMENDED !

Kids got a bit restless, but MiL, Squeeze, SiL, and, importantly Me ... are looking forward to returning.

NOTE:- there is no cover over the square at the time of writing, so only go if it's fine.

If it's fine ... you'll be fine.

ENJOY
    Someone is sitting in the shade today because someone planted a tree a long time ago ...

Custom Title Changer
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:43 PM
    Well done and looks great. I don't work far from there...thanks!

I'm in Jail

Last Online
    29-04-2023 @ 08:08 AM
    excellent info, I don't often go to Bangkok but when I do I find I'm over the go go bars these days, must be gettin old, looks like a great alternative

Banned

Last Online
    09-05-2021 @ 03:25 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by beerlaodrinker
    I don't often go to Bangkok but when I do I find I'm over the go go bars these days, must be gettin old, looks like a great alternative
    There's soapies where you can drink beer, you know

Banned

Last Online
    Quote Originally Posted by David48atTD
    Thailand - Bangers, Beer Garden, Band - Bloody ripper!
    Thats not what I see

I see metal seats and a sweaty crack, shit food, beer with ice cubes, nauseating all night Thai love songs, people that dont understand English, no aircon and fukkin mosquito bites

I'm in Jail

Last Online
    I adapted to metal seats a sweaty crack , shit food and beer with ice in it years ago dill

Last Online
    @
    Quote Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by beerlaodrinker
    I don't often go to Bangkok but when I do I find I'm over the go go bars these days, must be gettin old, looks like a great alternative
    There's soapies where you can drink beer, you know
    I've lived here for near on a decade, on and off and ... I've never had a soapie.

Must do that one day.

Anyone any recommendations?

I travel to Bangkok so the best place for me is somewhere there.

^^ Dillinger ... correct about the mosquitoes.

Though, I'd rather mossies to midges ... and midges are rife where I live in the West. Cream keeps the mossies at bay.

No ice in the beer, though there were cubes placed in the central core in the tower which kept the beer cool, but remote from the amber liquid itself.

BTW, where do you go for some craic ... as opposed to some crack?

Any live music venues of note around Bangkok you frequent ... I'm always keen to try something new.

Banned

Last Online
    Any live music venues of note around Bangkok you frequent
    I used to go to Bangkok Beat on soi 7/11, that's closed now and its home to the old 'New Wave'

Hillarys down opposite Hanrahans on Soi 4 can be alright, Climax Disco, full of freelancers also has live bands and Sek Loso performing sometimes.

Country Road at the Asoke junction end of Cowboy and the bar opposite have live bands, Country Road have a Thai Elvis sometimes.

There's one on Suk near the corner of Suk 22 that has its own thai rock band.

That's about all I can think of at the moment.

Coldplay are coming over in March to play at Rajamangala National Stadium. tickets sold out quick, but gonna try and get a couple, although I met a Thai who works there and he said just turn up on the night and you'll get in

I'm in Jail

Last Online
    I used to go to Bangkok Beat on soi 7/11,
    Handy to the eden club to if yer feeling a bit frisky

Banned

Last Online
    ^ I only went in there once, had a beer spoke to the French owner, saw the state of the women and remembered i'd left the oven on

Banned

Last Online
    Demonia on suk 33 is where it's at BLD, for your next skirmish.

A lot better looking and you get a slave and a mistress.

You have to knock the door, then a woman will open a peep hole on the door and ask if you've been in there before.

I was told by a friend to say Yes to that, I don't know why, anyway they let me in.

A word of warning, If like me your not into burning women with candles or slapping or pissing on them, they will do it all to your sorry ass.

You may like it, I haven't been back

http://www.demoniabangkok.com/

Last Online
    @
    I used to go to Bangkok Beat on soi 7/11, that's closed now and its home to the old 'New Wave'

Hillarys down opposite Hanrahans on Soi 4 can be alright, Climax Disco, full of freelancers also has live bands and Sek Loso performing sometimes.

Country Road at the Asoke junction end of Cowboy and the bar opposite have live bands, Country Road have a Thai Elvis sometimes.

There's one on Suk near the corner of Suk 22 that has its own thai rock band.

That's about all I can think of at the moment.

Coldplay are coming over in March to play at Rajamangala National Stadium. tickets sold out quick, but gonna try and get a couple, although I met a Thai who works there and he said just turn up on the night and you'll get in
    Been to Bangkok Beat, often, but didn't know it had closed. Placed used to be packed and I'm only talking about 12 months ago.

Climax, of course, but I won't pay a cover charge.

Hillarys, yep.

Ditto the two at the entrance to Soi Cowboy. With your back to Asoke, I preferred the one on the left.

Didn't know about Suk 22 ... will have to look.

Used to go to the Landmark for the Flippa singers. Also the Saxophone.

Can't make ColdPlay though.

Used to be, maybe still is, a place on Soi 3 with a Band ... and free food during the night.

Plus that place down the stairs on the odd numbered sois, after Cowboy, maybe Soi 33? Sadly, now the home to a 7/11

Checked in to the Checkinn once ... checked out soon after.

Not going to win any friends ... but I used to like Bangkok Beat Soi 7/1 a lot ... upstairs where I could watch the shenanigans going on below.

So, what is the 'New Wave'?

Banned

Last Online
    Plus that place down the stairs on the odd numbered sois
    The Londoner?

That's moved out to the middle of nowhere now, I doubt they'll have bands anymore.

New Wave was an institution in itself on soi 7 where all the girls were shit hot at pool, about 20 metres down the soi on the right before you got to the Bier Garden

the Saxophone.
    Think I've heard of that. Is it a jazz bar near Victory Monument or Phaya Thai BTS?

Last Online
    @
    Today we stupidly went to the supposedly relocated Suan Lum bazarr up Ratchada by MRT Lat Phrao.

What a waste of fucking time that was

Last Online
    @
    Here are some thoughts about the old night places, Markets etc that are/were a bit of a larf'

... https://teakdoor.com/bangkok-forum/17...ini-night.html (Reminiscing ... I liked the old Lumpini Night Market)

^ Sorry to read your bad experience DJ, but a good update, nevertheless

---

the Saxophone.
    Think I've heard of that. Is it a jazz bar near Victory Monument or Phaya Thai BTS?
    Yes, that's the one.

VE BTS, Exit the station to the right and take that long walkway in the direction of the Monument.
    Look to the right and after you have cleared the building on the right while traversing the walkway, look right and down ... and it's there.

Lot's of food there in the square, but the cheat eats might not be our thing.

As for the Venue ... 'Jazz' ... not really, not of the nights I've been ... quality music though.

Real mix of clientele. More a take the date, then meet the date (freelancer) type of place.

I enjoyed it

Kicks off at 9 from memory. Most of the decent seating gone by then ... and not a metal chair in sight!

Last Online
    Today @ 06:30 PM
    As for the Venue ... 'Jazz' ... not really, not of the nights I've been
    Varies nightly. Blues, jazz, big band swing, et al. Good for a night out with a date. Pass on the food. Not very good and over priced.
    https://www.saxophonepub.com

Quote Originally Posted by Dillinger
    May not still be there but one of the best live bands I've heard plays at the 5 Star bar next to Country Roads. Odd wee hole in the wall place. Not a date place.

Apoteka a small cozy blues bar on Suk 11 is good for a night out. Food very good. Pricey however. Located directly across from the now closed Q Bar.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:22 PM
    ^ 5 Star Bar.

So small that one of the guitists had to play on the stairs on the left hand side.

The band were tremendous. Not been there for a few years now. Totally forgot about the place.
    Last edited by Bogon; 16-02-2017 at 09:11 PM. Reason: spellings as per ususal

I'm in Jail

Last Online
    ^ I only went in there once, had a beer spoke to the French owner, saw the state of the women and remembered i'd left the oven on
    you don't need to look at there faces mate, just close your eyes and think of england

Banned

Last Online
    England?

hmmmm

Thread Information