Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516 LastLast

Last Online
    15-04-2018 @ 03:07 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by thaimeme View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by John Lennon View Post
    This is a major reason why we chose an independent contractor. Other reasons were my FIL was on site 24/7 and my wife travelled from CNX to Fang almost every day. As we had renovated several condos in CNX she had confidence (I had cancer during the construction period.)
    I am unsure whether PD does work here.
    Q-Con educated our contractor re the intricacies of their product and after 2 years, we are the only individuals to use their product in Fang to date.
    We sourced most other products including furniture in CNX & BKK.
    We purchased the best quality products available & delivery times were reasonably good.
    Two basic and learned principles that all should understand when pursuing projects of any stature.

1] Never involve Thai family/extended family in work or advisement.

2] Always be personally present during the project term.

1] yes you are right...we didnt do that,only got information while we were away and the latest chit chat.....

2]...once again,you are a 100% right...but it didnt work out as planned...

Last Online
    @
    Showupman, Thanks for sharing. Coming along well it appears with some TLC and some personal shop foreman effort.

Quote Originally Posted by John Lennon
    This is a major reason why we chose an independent contractor. Other reasons were my FIL was on site 24/7
    We did too on our build and it went off without an issue. Extremely professional crew.

Quote Originally Posted by thaimeme
    Two basic and learned principles that all should understand when pursuing projects of any stature.

I absolutely agree with #1. Seen and heard of way too many that went real bad and lots of work had to redone later.

# 2 boils down to who you hired to build the house, IMHO. Now we were extremely lucky in that my FIL worked for the Thai government as a civil engineer and did some work in another country early on building homes and public buildings. He is quite savy and was relentless on our build. We were not present for any of the build except the Blessing to kick it off and the final walk through when done. However my FIL was set up with a smart phone and the building plans and was constantly send us pictures of work and progress. If he didn't like something he had them stopped and called my wife and we did a vid call. Worked out perfectly.

Last Online
    @
    # 226
    Omission
    You need a lot of good luck including the weather.
    Our (wife's home) was completed prior to the estimated finish date.
    There was a lot of chatter re usufruct when we were building but I made a decision to walk away quietly if the relationship fell apart.
    'One day at time.'

Last Online

electrical color code in LOS

Quote Originally Posted by dennis4558 View Post
    Thanks for the info on the wire, in the US, Green = Ground, White = Neutral and everything else is hot. I guess the first time I touch the wrong wire it'll burn it into my memory

....honestly...i dont know...i assume=....making an ass out of you and me.....LOL...

no mate i have no idea....i guess green should be earth...grey-brown active and then maybe black neutral....who knows...

ive seen fancy colour in our condo in BKK...non of the above color were active or neutral.....

..a good way is that little screwdriver with a light,a buzzer or a test instrument which you can test to earth if there is one....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electrical_wiring

Last Online

...a couple of answers in one....

Boy I guess you have to maintain a sense of humor or you'd go crazy with all the screwups.
    ...i guess that helps a lot...not going to crazy....still have the most of my hair....didnt count how many more grey i have...since the start of the built(no time for that)

been in the construction industry for a couple of decades....and be warned-informed about what could happen here in LOS.....so not a big surprise....could have gone much worse i guess....and-or better too....
    have to deal with what we have-know....and do the most in our hands for the best outcome.

--the counter top....no idea what granite it is....we had a couple to choose from and the one we have looked the best to us...(sure someone knows it here)

--we have 10cm Q-con...it was in the contract...yeah maybe 15cm,but ten is ok... .no idea about the price of 15cm or 20cm(sure someone knows it)

--i hope there will be hot water in the morning....will check that,(during the day you burn yourself....)
    as the nights are quite cold now.....
    the pipes inside are green PVC from SCG with crimps too....

--the range hood is from Electrolux....not to noisy and the price was ......hang on ....i have to go and have a look at the receipt....19'900 Bht

and the one with the septic....yes they have to empty it out and turn it 180 degree around....
    my little boy had to use it a few times....so its not a biggy.....
    happy digging i say......

so i think i covered everything .........

Last Online
    25-08-2019 @ 07:50 PM

Last Online
    24-08-2017 @ 02:01 PM
    Superb thread.

Obviously it's going to be a real quality house when it's finished.

Last Online
    Quote Originally Posted by JPPR2 View Post
    Showupman, Thanks for sharing. Coming along well it appears with some TLC and some personal shop foreman effort.

Quote Originally Posted by John Lennon
    This is a major reason why we chose an independent contractor. Other reasons were my FIL was on site 24/7
    We did too on our build and it went off without an issue. Extremely professional crew.

Quote Originally Posted by thaimeme

I absolutely agree with #1. Seen and heard of way too many that went real bad and lots of work had to redone later.

# 2 boils down to who you hired to build the house, IMHO. Now we were extremely lucky in that my FIL worked for the Thai government as a civil engineer and did some work in another country early on building homes and public buildings. He is quite savy and was relentless on our build. We were not present for any of the build except the Blessing to kick it off and the final walk through when done. However my FIL was set up with a smart phone and the building plans and was constantly send us pictures of work and progress. If he didn't like something he had them stopped and called my wife and we did a vid call. Worked out perfectly.

thank you....no problem at all,sure i can help some other people.......

...the additional work crew didnt last long,they were there only 1 day.......i guess some internal issues.....whos gonna pay for the extra crew and bla bla bla...

....the thing with with an experienced crew,i cant say that........for sure....very
    inexperienced....or better said.... quick...but only 50%....do the rest later....
    .....it takes them a lot longer to redo all the stuff.....but they dont get it......anyway i dont have to pay them for the hours....

Last Online
    # 226
    Omission
    You need a lot of good luck including the weather....and luck too.....
    Our (wife's home) was completed prior to the estimated finish date.
    There was a lot of chatter re usufruct when we were building but I made a decision to walk away quietly if the relationship fell apart.

yes the weather factor is an issue....which i can say,wasnt to bad....apart from the grey water pipes,which were half fulled up with mud....plug them......

we thought they gonna finish early,(i thought that too,but if you are not on site for months...you fall behind...dont you??)
    .as well as they said.....yeah no problem.......what a rubbish....

3 times they promised us to give us the inside.....but failed all the time..
    VERY DISAPPOINTING OF PD HOUSE....how they manage-talk and promised it to us..and not made it happen...not even close......

they still have 3 months....because we changed things 3 times(earlier posts)...
    they gonna need that.....and we have time......and find more things....

Last Online
    Is the water still hot in the morning? Here in the states we use pex plumbing for all our hot and cold water, easier than copper, all fittings are crimp connections. haven't had a leak yet if I remember to crimp everything
    ...yes extremely hot water at 6.30am today.....

Last Online
    Quote Originally Posted by sweaty View Post
    Superb thread.

Obviously it's going to be a real quality house when it's finished.
    ....thank you....

...thats what we all want-dont we?....cant wait......it seems as its gonna be a long home run nearly the end......

Last Online

...back in time to end of August 2016...

....still everything is going like crazy.....me better stay out of the line of fire.....

im doing a bit of cabling and termination outside...the main switch for the air-cons...

...on the end...a bit of silicon around and the boys gonna paint over...

.......ready for hook up....and the drain water from the air con.....(i didnt have time-nor a blue conduit at the time....but its gonna do the job....)car park for the guest room

...living room...where i poured the little concrete pad...in January...

while inside they do the ceilings on the ground floor too...

...view from the kitchen to the living room....

Last Online
    @
    Great thread. When is it expected to be handed over?

Last Online
    01-03-2022 @ 04:52 PM
    Enjoying reading this thread.
    Looks like a job that is suffering a lack of leadership, IMO !
    But eventually it will all be in the past.

Last Online
    25-08-2019 @ 07:50 PM
    Keep them coming mate, enjoying the read.

Last Online
    14-09-2020 @ 08:33 PM
    Why haven't they staggered the joints in the plasterboard?

Last Online
    08-11-2020 @ 05:50 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by showupman View Post
    Is the water still hot in the morning? Here in the states we use pex plumbing for all our hot and cold water, easier than copper, all fittings are crimp connections. haven't had a leak yet if I remember to crimp everything
    Nice to know, they must have the tank well insulated, something else I'll have to check into, I hate taking cold showers especially when it's cold out.

Last Online
    @
    Nice to know, they must have the tank well insulated, something else I'll have to check into, I hate taking cold showers especially when it's cold out.
    I like the idea of the solar heated water tank, However not to sure how I'd like it on the roof knowing how the weather is and how sealants don't seem to hold up well here. Please keep us posted on how it all works.

We use the point of use electric heaters in the showers(5500 watt)and they work exceptionally well. I cannot even turn them up all the way with out burning myself.

Last Online
    Great thread. When is it expected to be handed over?
    thanks mate.....
    ...we changed things 3 times,which means they have another 3 months time......

original date would be 27.2.17 which would be no problem at all...they are just so slow,not caring....a lot of promises but no facts....and a foreman who doesnt give a f*&@....

so it will be 27.5.17.....interesting....because we are in BKK and heading for Australia until mid May.......we have a plan in place.....they havent.....

Last Online
    Quote Originally Posted by Dead Metal View Post
    Enjoying reading this thread.
    Looks like a job that is suffering a lack of leadership, IMO !
    But eventually it will all be in the past.

thanks to you too....

...well thats well said....it is completely a lack of leadership..there is none....good for us that we were there the most time......damage control....

me and my wife are waiting for that day when PD HOUSE are finished......
    our guess is it will be not the 27.5.17........

from then,400 BHT a day for us.....

Last Online
    @
    At least 50% of the parties are organized (555).

Last Online
    Quote Originally Posted by FatOne View Post
    Keep them coming mate, enjoying the read.

...cheers mate....i try to....

Last Online
    Quote Originally Posted by Tassini View Post
    Why haven't they staggered the joints in the plasterboard?

...dunno.....

...i guess it would have been to hard for them.......

Last Online
    07-12-2022 @ 03:12 PM
    PD House is a huge business who builds very large house that cost a shit load of money.

They have been at it a long time.

The mind boggles how they can be so utterly unreliable and incompetent at times.

The only reason i can work out is that companies like this have no regulator watching over them so in turn they don't give much of a fuk.

Good luck with it anyway mate Eh.

Friggin Gong show I recon.

Last Online
    Quote Originally Posted by JPPR2 View Post
    I like the idea of the solar heated water tank, However not to sure how I'd like it on the roof knowing how the weather is and how sealants don't seem to hold up well here. Please keep us posted on how it all works.

We use the point of use electric heaters in the showers(5500 watt)and they work exceptionally well. I cannot even turn them up all the way with out burning myself.

....well time will tell...it looks as they used kind of bitumen-silicon stuff....to plug the hole for the pipes......

ive got a back up in every shower for an electrical heater....an empty conduit to the electrical board......
    ...i hope i dont have have to post anything about it......it was a sub contractor...not PD....which is a big plus already....

Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516 LastLast

Thread Information