Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Last Online
    28-11-2017 @ 10:03 PM

What roof to choose for new build?

Im in the process of researching a build of this house:

What would be good solution for roof for this plan? Im planing to build with foil under roofing and isolated ceiling for keeping house as cold as possible. Inside floor area is around 116m2

Last Online
    25-05-2022 @ 02:56 AM
    I like metal roofs because they cool off quicker after sun goes down. A tile roof will retain the heat and radiate it down all night long. Insulation above the ceiling is good.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    27-03-2017 @ 08:11 AM

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:46 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Pink
    What would be good solution for roof for this plan
    Go with the roof as per the plan. CPAC Monier as I recall.

Last Online
    @
    Quote Originally Posted by Norton
    CPAC Monier
    Agree. Don't use metal sheet roofing. Can be noisy in the rain season.

http://home.howstuffworks.com/home-i...materials3.htm

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    14-10-2022 @ 11:11 AM

Last Online
    @

Credit

I was going to reply here, but expanded the question and just made this thread ... https://teakdoor.com/construction-in-...ml#post3454678

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    I have steel roofing after doing considerable research. The deciding factor was its extensive use in Australia where they experience extreme heat. Yes, they are a bit noisy during rainy season, but the light weight, low maintenance and no breakage more then makes up for it.

I had tiled roofs on several houses in the US and was continually replacing broken tiles. There are three different thicknesses available at most shops and I opted for the thickest. When I did my carport, I opted for the second thickest. Your call in the end, but be sure to take all parameters into consideration.

R.I.P.
    Last Online
    15-11-2020 @ 07:58 PM
    The Lana house we started off with had a wooden shingle roof which looked great.
    After a few years we started to get the inevitable leaks. Upon investigation we found that to replace the shingle would be a bloody fortune and we weren't too sure what to do.

To replace the shingles with anything but shingles would be a real shame and ruin the look of the place.

The answer came from a conversation with the little old man who'd built the house originally 30+ years ago. He's become a great friend and I trust him implicitly.

Given that it's a typical Lana A frame roof there's plenty of room under it so, 100 sheets of corrugated steel later we had a second roof built under the shingles.

There's about a 20cm gap between the steel and the shingles.

They used a few meters of baton as required but most of the steel was screwed straight onto the existing joists.

It's invisible from inside and out, still leak proof 4 years later, reflective and as cheap as chips to do.

2 blokes over 4 days - Thb3,000 plus materials which I can't remember.

That end of the house is noticeably cooler and there seem to be a lot less creatures of the night wondering about.

So, there you go. A bit of innovative thinking from good old Bankeo.

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:13 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Pragmatic
    Can be noisy in the rain season.
    Can be is an understatement.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    27-03-2017 @ 08:11 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by OhOh View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Pragmatic
    Can be noisy in the rain season.
    Can be is an understatement.

..had steel roof (Zincalum) in Cairns... can't say I noticed or cared...

Last Online
    @
    Pink,
    This is really likely going to boil down to 2 things I would suspect;

1) Cost (which I completely understand)

2) Your threshold for noise when it rains and storms.

Years back I stayed in a home with friends that had a steel roof. One night a huge rain front dropped in and it rained for at least an hour, when I say rained...I mean RAINED!!!. The noise was virtually deafening to the point where you cannot even sleep through it. His home had insulation only because I asked about it in the morning over breakfast. He is Thai and told me, If he could do it all over again he would have used the tile roof with the sound deadening insulation underneath. He recently had his house re roofed to remove the steel.

My BIL in Ayutthaya recently added a carport to his home. To keep costs low he used the steel roof. His house has a tile roof. He did not think it would be a big deal. He regrets it terribly. So his house inside is quiet but when the rain hits the carport roof it echos everywhere inside his home even with the windows shut.

Again these are just a few trial and tribulations of folks. I am not trying to sway you one way or another.

Cheers

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:13 PM
    One should look around at the traditional houses and utilise the proven in use materials.

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 12:55 PM
    I have a tiled roof, the last four houses we have lived in have had basically the same tile, none have ever broken.
    Sure the steel roof will cool off quicker, if the ceiling is well insulated and the roof void well ventilated would this make any difference to the temperature inside the house?

R.I.P.
    Last Online
    15-11-2020 @ 07:58 PM
    I found this youtube video to be quite educational;

Last Online
    09-11-2020 @ 05:24 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Pragmatic View Post
    CPAC Monier
    Agree. Don't use metal sheet roofing. Can be noisy in the rain season.

8: Terra Cotta and Clay - 10 Best Roofing Materials for Warmer Climates | HowStuffWorks
    Yet first place on that '10 Best Roofing Materials for Warmer Climates' list is occupied by 'white metal roofing'.

It comes down to your 'noise of rain on roof' tolerance I suppose - I love the sound. I too have lived under corrugated steel roofs in the tropics, on the north east coast of Australia - Mackay in my case. I don't recall the noise of rain being an issue, even in the wet season. Perhaps it's a problem with inferior (thin) metal roofing, like your average khon Thai would use, and/or with that mostly flat stuff.

I live under concrete tiles now, in Sydney. It can get warm here - in the low 40s (celsius) lately - that's pushing 110F. We had one of those days just this week, then a "southerly buster" (cool change) in the late afternoon. We still needed the aircon on in the bedroom overnight though, the clay-brick walls and concrete tiles radiated heat long into the night.

As to metal roofing in Thailand, Australia's Colorbond (Blue Scope Steel) has outlets - there's one in Buriram that I have already visited (they say they get a lot of Aussie Farang customers ). Seems they call the corrugated stuff 'Colorbond Thermatech'. But regardless, Colorbond is cut to size, so you don't have the joins to worry about, and comes in various thicknesses. Better security too - the thief cannot lift a tile to get into your ceiling space.

Interested to hear of your progress anyway Pink - hope you keep us updated.

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:46 PM

Last Online
    01-03-2022 @ 04:52 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Ratchaburi View Post

Looks very good with a few options to choose from. Must deaden the noise down a fair bit as well with it being insulated !
    This co; will be going in my book for later consideration .

Last Online
    @
    Good option.

Roofing | COLORBOND® steel
    Best post in this thread.

Local name for the stuff is "Bluescope" and they have "factories" in just about every Thai town.

I've built 2 homes here, western standard, with this stuff. My house in Florida, same heat, humidity & climate, rain, etc... plus hurricanes - same. Metal shop, same.

Best roof option for this climate, and the posters complaining about the rain - I can 100% guarantee that if you add 6" insulation above your cieling, witch you should be doing anyway, it will completely negate any rain noise inside the home even during the hardest rain.

There is not a better roof option unless you just love the asthetics of another material and don't mind paying for more in outlay, attic ventilation, and air conditioning. Thermal convection type attic ventilation is insufficient with concrete tiles and will remain a sweatbox, forced ventilation (electric fans, thermostatically controlled) in the attic are required if anyone actually cares to evacuate the heat build up in the heat of the day.

Plenty of modern homes in the west in hot climates use metal. Google image search it. It does not need to look like a factory at all.

The thais don't like it because they think it's cheap, but they don't have a clue and their home designs are little more than totally insufficient sweat boxes.

Last Online
    30-03-2017 @ 03:11 AM
    Talking to one of the directors of ausbuild last year was telling me they sell 5 tin lids as to 1 concrete tile roof house in Oz.
    Haven't seen bluescope colorbond in asia but if you can buy it you should be able to get this or similar as well. Bradford Anticon - insulation for homes with metal roofs

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    IMO, steel is the way to go in Thailand, but again, it is personal preference.

Last Online
    @
    Quote Originally Posted by brisie
    Haven't seen bluescope colorbond in asia
    Bluescope Thailand | NS BlueScope Coated Steel Products

Bumfuck part of Surin Province - there is more than this one shop in Surin alone. Its everywhere, but they get their stuff from BKK or Korat. If its not in stock, they order and it arrives in days. They come and measure your roof steel and cut the pieces to fit, leaving just the edges to trim off with a string-line and angle grinder. All in one quote deal with flashing, edging, and the screws. Any local day rate somchai can screw it down for 300/day with minor supervision.

Last Online
    28-11-2017 @ 10:03 PM
    Where in Korat i can find Bluescope?

Pink

Last Online
    @
    Was Bluescope invented by an Australian family (Pradella) and onsold to BHP?

Last Online
    09-11-2020 @ 05:24 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Pink View Post
    Where in Korat i can find Bluescope?

Pink
    Yeah, don't know how to find them - found "mine" in Buriram by driving past it.

You would expect a website to list all their sales outlets right? Someone has found their way to your website, you want to make it easy for them to fall into the clutches of a salesman. But not their website - "TIT" as they say I suppose.

Contact us | Bluescope Thailand - webform to fill out. Also says "... or contact us at 0-2333-3000, or email us at bluescopethailand@bluescopesteel.com ".

Cheers.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information