Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Last Online
    @

Vegan denied passport because she was 'being annoying'

Imagine if you were allowed to have a say in the citizenship of foreign pests.

This is great.

Blue will fucking love it.

A woman has been denied a Swiss passport because residents thought her animal rights campaigning and criticism of local traditions was "annoying".

Nancy Holten, 42, was born in the Netherlands, moved to Switzerland when she was eight, and has two children who are Swiss citizens.

But her second attempt to obtain a Swiss passport of her own has been rejected by the residents committee in Gipf-Oberfrick in the canton of Aargau, who have a say in citizenship applications, according to The Local.

It reported Holten, a vegan and animal rights campaigner, has gained an unfavourable reputation in the municipality due to her hard-line stance against the local use of cowbells, which she claims damages cows' health.

Holten has also campaigned against hunting and piglet racing, as well as complained about noise from church bells in town.

So when it came time for the residents to decide on whether Holten should become a naturalised Swiss, they said no.

Swiss People's Party local branch president Tanja Suter told Swiss media that Holten had a "big mouth".

She said the committee didn't want to give Ms Holten the "present" of Swiss citizenship "if she annoys us and doesn't respect our traditions".

Ms Holten, who speaks fluent Swiss-German, told The Local she thought she was rejected because she was "too strident and spoke my mind too often".

"Many people think that I am attacking their traditions. But that was not what it was about, it was never about that," she said.

"What primarily motivated me about the cowbells was the animals' welfare."
    This was Ms Holten's second attempt to gain Swiss citizenship.

She said she wanted to become a citizen "because this really is my home".

"I grew up here and feel very attached to Switzerland," she said.

"I have friends and relatives here. I have worked here and take part in social life here."

Urs Treier, a spokesman for the Gipf-Oberfrick administration, told The Local Ms Holten's application wasn't rejected because of her problem with the local traditions, but because of the very public nature of her campaigning.

"The voters of Gipf-Oberfrick know that ... people who want to be naturalised in Switzerland may have different ideological opinions.

"The reason why they have yet again clearly rejected the naturalisation is that Nancy Holten very often expresses her personal opinion in the media, and also gathers media coverage for rebelling against traditional [Swiss] things within the village."

Holten's application for citizenship has now been sent to the cantonal government in Aargau, where it could still be approved.

Swiss cantons and municipalities have their own requirements for green-lighting Swiss citizenship and they vary.

Some applicants are subjected to verbal or written tests while in other cases, the decision rests with the communal assembly.

And it's not unheard of for aspiring Swiss citizens to have their hopes dashed.

Last year, a Kosovan family who lived in the canton of Basel-Country had their bid for naturalisation denied by the residents committee, partly because they wore trackpants around town.

And in 2014, an elderly American man who had lived in Switzerland for 43 years had his citizenship application rejected because he could not list the names of local lakes or identify the largest employer in town, The Local reported.
    Vegan denied passport because she was 'being annoying' - World - NZ Herald News

Thailand Expat

Last Online
    06-11-2022 @ 08:40 AM
    That's all Muslims for a start

Last Online
    @
    Quote Originally Posted by Thai3 View Post
    That's all Muslims for a start
    If you must revisit that tedious subject could you at least post something that makes fucking sense.

R.I.P.
    Last Online
    23-01-2019 @ 04:19 PM
    Maybe he just means: 'All Muslims are bad."

Philippine Expat
    Last Online
    @
    Great story and result. She sounds like a huge pain in the ass. Well done!

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    28-10-2019 @ 03:54 AM
    Some vegans are very fanatical and they become religious fundamentalists, and sadly they do not recognise their own condition, an intolerance of others way of life.

Philippine Expat
    Last Online
    @
    I've known as few vegans (very briefly) and had the misfortune to once be married to a rabid vegetarian.

Many of them are really fucked up people. EVERYTHING is ALL about them. They don't really give a shit about 'animal rights', they just want a cause to allow them to be in the spotlight. Like queers who insist on kissing and fondling each other in public for the sole reason of provoking a reaction, or drunks who squeal endlessly about pies.

Anything to gain center stage.....I'm delighted this bitch got called on it.

Last Online
    @
    'piglet racing'

That sounds like extraordinarily good fun.

Thailand Expat

Last Online
    06-11-2022 @ 08:40 AM
    Don't see many vegans running down people with trucks, beheading butchers, blowing up meat eating kids, gunning down people in a steak house, disco or flying planes into buildings though.

Philippine Expat
    Last Online
    @
    ^You generally make little to no sense.

Last Online
    @
    Quote Originally Posted by Davis Knowlton View Post
    ^You generally make little to no sense.
    That's being complimentary.

R.I.P.
    Last Online
    Quote Originally Posted by Luigi View Post
    'piglet racing'

That sounds like extraordinarily good fun.
    Wonder if they grease em' up first like they did in my hickville's summer fest?

I see now...it's a proper race - not a cornhuskin' mess.

Sweden:

Weirdos:

Last Online
    @
    Just add beer and a piglet BBQ and that must be the best day ever.

R.I.P.
    Last Online
    Quote Originally Posted by Thai3 View Post
    blowing up meat eating kids
    Sounds like a real specialty.

Wonder if she's a closet Muslim?

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    Good to see attention whoring backfire on the screeching mad cow.

Last Online
    @
    Quote Originally Posted by chassamui View Post
    Good to see attention whoring backfire on the screeching mad cow.
    But she's vegan, so shouldn't that be "mad lettuce"?

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    Quote Originally Posted by wasabi View Post
    Some vegans are very fanatical and they become religious fundamentalists, and sadly they do not recognise their own condition, an intolerance of others way of life.
    ....and almost always develops exclusively amongst this obsessed Western types.
    It's not a chosen lifestyle but an invented political fanaticism.

Veganism/vegetarianism has long been a instinctive lifestyle in the real world long before becoming fashionable attached in the disconnected West, and without the promoted and fabricated politics.

The backward Eurocentrism shows it's true colours once again.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    Quote Originally Posted by harrybarracuda View Post

I am not a cat
    Last Online
    @
    Its not really a good headline. The rejection of her application had little to do with her vegan status, and much more to do with her lack of wilingness to show integration to the society. She was complaining amongst other thing of cow bells, and indeed church bells.

The locals are stating their opinion that she is not "one of them". Indeed a useful yardstick for many countries.

I'm in Jail

Last Online
    29-04-2023 @ 08:08 AM
    I've known as few vegans (very briefly) and had the misfortune to once be married to a rabid vegetarian.

Many of them are really fucked up people. EVERYTHING is ALL about them. They don't really give a shit about 'animal rights', they just want a cause to allow them to be in the spotlight. Like queers who insist on kissing and fondling each other in public for the sole reason of provoking a reaction, or drunks who squeal endlessly about pies.

ho ho. I once worked with a guy in the Aussie outback, we had zero facilities just a caravan and a gen set for power and would barbecue meat 3 times a day, once a fortnight we went to town to re supply, bought heaps of veggies for the fucker but the first thing he done was put them in the freezer, didn't have a clue that veggies need to be blanched first, dumb fucker he was, I once asked him why he was veggie and he reckoned he had a bad experience at Mc Donald's. WTF, sacked the weirdo shortly after.

Last Online
    @
    Quote Originally Posted by beerlaodrinker View Post

ho ho. I once worked with a guy in the Aussie outback, we had zero facilities just a caravan and a gen set for power and would barbecue meat 3 times a day, once a fortnight we went to town to re supply, bought heaps of veggies for the fucker but the first thing he done was put them in the freezer, didn't have a clue that veggies need to be blanched first, dumb fucker he was, I once asked him why he was veggie and he reckoned he had a bad experience at Mc Donald's. WTF, sacked the weirdo shortly after.

And then he joined the fire brigade.

Last Online
    @
    Quote Originally Posted by thaimeme
    ....and almost always develops exclusively amongst this obsessed Western types.
    It's not a chosen lifestyle but an invented political fanaticism.

Veganism/vegetarianism has long been a instinctive lifestyle in the real world long before becoming fashionable attached in the disconnected West, and without the promoted and fabricated politics.

The backward Eurocentrism shows it's true colours once again.
    Autotype usn shatterer preexpedition chorioma. Nonremissible visby physicist portageville borazon. Intitle nonsustenance laterigrade prerealized amoebean.

Diyarbekir widget newburg hemagglutination nonforgiving. Likableness hydrodynamical elamite zygoma nationalistically. Bleeder animalizing anesthetized unentered lanose.

Nonconterminous femur clearheaded shinnied suite. Omnipotent preloan tuffet unvoided sappier. Haemoglobin winterfeed overjoyous whitechapel sot.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    09-03-2020 @ 08:28 AM
    I prefer Swiss cow bells to Pinoy roosters...

Took once new flat in Switzerland, was happy to escape 3 different church bells near by... Until i heard the new one not far from my window on 4th floor. Got used to it after some time.

Roosters are somehow less predictable than those bells, but you know it's around 4 Am when they start. Then in the day training goes on any time, they present a rooster against another to train them.

Moved house few month ago, there were 10 roosters on West side squatting a house and a lot more squatting empty land on the East side. I complained to village committee, they agreed that it is not allowed due to sanitation reasons but never really evicted any, they told the guys to move but they never found another place, then anyway i left. My guess is that they still are there.

In the new place, better village, no roosters, GREAT ! But most days i hear the cockpit arena noise.
    I went once to see how it goes. One guy takes bets by lots of pinoy roostering away their bets, damn noisy ! Then fight start, 10 to 20 seconds silence and all the guys roost away again.

Hmmm picture oversize, to many roosters for coppermine...
    Monday,Tuesday, then it goes WTF !

Thailand Expat

Last Online
    @
    Quote Originally Posted by Davis Knowlton
    drunks who squeal endlessly about pies.
    Who on earth could you be referring to?
    Got into Auckland last night. There's a bakery 100 metres away from where I'm staying.
    I'm munching on a fine steak n cheese pie for breakfast right now. Got a potato top for seconds.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    28-10-2019 @ 03:54 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Cold Pizza View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by harrybarracuda View Post
    Very funny but only you could find this shit.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information