Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Last Online
    @
    Quote Originally Posted by boloa
    400k is do-able but it will be basic
    Ill never understand why they choose such strange colors. I mean for the same price, gyprock ceiling, white walls, and those 60cmX60cm condo type floor tiles and some decent downlights and it looks just as good as a plain cheapie condo on the inside and feels much larger.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    Quote Originally Posted by Slick View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by boloa
    400k is do-able but it will be basic
    Ill never understand why they choose such strange colors. I mean for the same price, gyprock ceiling, white walls, and those 60cmX60cm condo type floor tiles and some decent downlights and it looks just as good as a plain cheapie condo on the inside and feels much larger.
    Mature and boring.

Bright pink, orange and blue are nicer for those with the mind of a 6 year old.

Thailand Expat

Last Online
    25-03-2021 @ 08:47 AM
    All I want is basic...I'm tired of all the extraneous "shit"...

Last Online
    22-03-2024 @ 07:46 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Auroria View Post
    I think these are usually around 280,000thb or so.

You may find a bigger one for 400,000thb.

Don't expect to get a lot of house that amount of money.
    These wooden house are quite expensive per sqm. The wood also needs a lot of maintenance.

I would choose cement board on frame - or bricks. Don't use the red bricks. These are only cheap in the first instance. AAC blocks (like Q-Con) are the better solution.

Last Online
    @
    Quote Originally Posted by juehoe
    Don't use the red bricks.
    The red bricks are stronger, and insulate better than the cheap grey bricks. You can drill and mount heavy stuff anywhere on the walls with the red bricks without worry.

Q-con insulates better, but its a pretty weak material and sketchy to bolt heavy items to walls.

I used red bricks on both my other houses.

Last Online
    Today @ 11:29 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by boloa View Post
    Good find. Looks just the ticket for the OP.

Last Online
    08-09-2017 @ 01:56 PM
    Was planing to go with metal roof so what sort of distance can i push the poles out to was thinking 1.5 meter eves to help stop the sun and ACC blocks

is a 4 meter grid reasonable with metal roof

Last Online
    Quote Originally Posted by outdoorbloke
    Yes. Somewhat standard.

Last Online
    11-01-2017 @ 08:26 PM
    Each pole is usually 4m apart, so a 9 pole house with 3x3 poles would be 8mx8m, about 64 sqm. Not a bad size if you have a decent height downstairs for kitchen and living, incl toilet. Upstairs you could have a bathroom and two beds

Try drawing out a design, getting the stairs right is a good thing!

Last Online
    @
    Quote Originally Posted by outdoorbloke
    Was planing to go with metal roof so what sort of distance can i push the poles out to was thinking 1.5 meter eves to help stop the sun and ACC blocks

4 meters like norton said is pretty standard.

I built a house 3 years back on a 5 meter grid and metal roof no problem. The locals will know where to add some meat to the concrete beams and metal roof, if necessary.

You can also do a 9X9 like you say and just split the difference. No problem.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    Quote Originally Posted by Slick View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by juehoe
    Don't use the red bricks.
    The red bricks are stronger, and insulate better than the cheap grey bricks. You can drill and mount heavy stuff anywhere on the walls with the red bricks without worry.

Q-con insulates better, but its a pretty weak material and sketchy to bolt heavy items to walls.

I used red bricks on both my other houses.
    Varies greatly in building quality as to the type of "red bricks" one uses.
    Assuming your referring to the cheaply made everyday variety that chip and crack easily unless otherwise treated or glazed [??].

Amazingly enough, there are numerous and affordable options in brick available then the proverbial two that you [and probably most everyone] use in reference, as most don't suss out or know of the reasonable options as applies to brick material.

Their loss for assumptions and ignorance.

Last Online
    @
    Quote Originally Posted by thaimeme
    Varies greatly in building quality as to the type of "red bricks" one uses.
    Assuming your referring to the cheaply made everyday variety that chip and crack easily unless otherwise treated or glazed [??].

Amazingly enough, there are numerous and affordable options in brick available then the proverbial two that you [and probably most everyone] use in reference, as most don't suss out or know of the reasonable options as applies to brick material.

Their loss for assumptions and ignorance.
    400 K for a house Jeff. No science to it. There are 3 kinds, red 4 hole (it-Deang), grey cheapie cinderblock (It-Blok), and q-con.

And yes, bog standard red brick 4 hole (It-deang) is stronger of the three most common options for a locally make 400k thai house.

Absolutely no reason whatsoever to make it more confusing for the local builders on a 400k house by using another type of block they don't normally use and are readily available from any local mom & pop building supply store that delivers to the site on credit along with all the cement, rebar, etc...

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    22-03-2024 @ 05:28 PM
    Right now ...... near your enquiry ........ is a Thread of mine title " OK ... Maybe A House Building Thread " .
    And for quite a while at the start of that Thread it's all about ' How far apart can I put these Poles ? '

It got a lot of answers saying that around 3 metres is pretty standard but then folkses started saying they had no problem going 4 metres apart , 5 metres , 6.5 m , koman putting his wide apart because of his scrotum problems and then of course flashstevefarang needed his 20 metres apart to be able to wheel his helicopters into the house.

In other words - depending on just a few factors - you can have the size that you want.
    If you want 9 poles and you want the side to be 9 metres in Length then you are talking about a distance of 4.5 metres between the poles . Which , according to my helpful compatriots , is doable. And gives an area of 81 sq m.
    However - as Slick pointed out - you will have a pole smack in the centre of the grid. And that can be awkward .

Best ( I think ) is to draw a plan using 9 poles 4.5 m apart and plan in where your various spaces will be . [ Bedrooms , kitchen , living space et cetera ] . Remember Beetle said the staircase is premier important.
    Then do the same thing using 16 poles spaced 3m apart and see which is easier to plan around .

I have a feeling that 16 poles spaced 3 metres apart will be the way to go.
    A bit more cost but this is offset by other savings ( like your 9 poles would necessarily be thicker ) .

Wasp

Last Online
    Quote Originally Posted by Wasp
    Best ( I think ) is to draw a plan using 9 poles 4.5 m apart and plan in where your various spaces will be . [ Bedrooms , kitchen , living space et cetera
    Works but I did it the other way around. Keeping in mind a 4m grid I laid out desired sizes of spaces. Also laid things out so I didn't end up with a column in the middle of a room. Ended up with most columns at 4m, 1 at 6m and 5 at 3m (front porch)

Quote Originally Posted by Slick
    Absolutely no reason whatsoever to make it more confusing for the local builders on a 400k house by using another type of block they don't normally use
    Yep and not just the brick. Same goes for columns, footings, beams, flooring and roof the builder is familiar with.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information