Last Online
    @

Tourists told they will face 500-baht fine if they feed monkeys in Koh Chang

Tourists visiting Koh Chang in Trat province are warned not to feed long-tailed macaque or they will face a fine of 500 baht each.

Mr Nitchai Pandet, chief of the conservation department of Koh Chang national park, said Tuesday that the 500-baht fine was introduced after it was discovered that the warning against feeding the wild monkeys has been ignored by many tourists who stop by the roadside and feed the monkeys.

Signboards written in both Thai and English warning tourists to not feed the long-tailed macque have been put up on several spots on the island where the beasts venture out of the forest and gather on the road waiting for food.

Nitchai said that usually the monkeys forage for food in the forest, but feeding by tourists has spoiled their habit and turned some of them aggressive and attack tourists or steal food from food stalls.

He blamed some tour guides of not explaining to tourists, especially foreign tourists, about the negative consequences from feeding the monkeys.

He hopes the introduction of fine would help discourage the feeding practice.

Tourists told they will face 500-baht fine if they feed monkeys in Koh Chang - Thai PBS English News

RIP
    Last Online
    @
    It'll be similar to the theiving monkeys of Gibraltar then.
    Near on impossible to enforce unless the BIB hang around with the monkeys all day.
    Another tea money spinner in the making, maybe.

Last Online
    22-03-2021 @ 04:00 AM
    but how easy would it be to tell which are the monkeys and which are the BIB tourists might end up handing over their 500thb to a real monkey !

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    03-10-2022 @ 11:24 AM
    It's actually a good idea. Dumb tourists are feeding them from the main road on White Sands beach, and encouraging them on to the pavements and walkways.

A friend's young son got bitten by one of the little varmints last year, and had to have a series of painful injections and treatment.

Thailand Expat

Last Online
    25-03-2021 @ 08:47 AM
    Lopburi must be madness, then...They run that fookin' town, I've heard...The monkeys, I mean...

I am in Jail

Last Online
    24-01-2024 @ 07:02 AM
    You mean you can speak with Monkeys BB?

Thailand Expat

Last Online
    I never try...They are same as rats...But I talk to birds...And some talk back...

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    15-05-2023 @ 10:57 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by misskit
    but feeding by tourists has spoiled their habit and turned some of them aggressive and attack tourists
    I thought they were talking about monkeys

Thailand Expat

Last Online
    ^ 555...

I am in Jail

Last Online
    24-01-2024 @ 07:02 AM
    At kao yai have some Monkeys steal food from bungalow too

Last Online
    @
    I remember staying in this chalet in Langkawi, and woke up to see this monkey on the verandah. It pointed at the fruit basket on the table and then stuck its hand out.

Clever little fuckers they are, probably more clever than the BiB.

Thailand Expat

Last Online
    But they do point well, harry...

R.I.P.
    Last Online
    15-11-2020 @ 07:58 PM
    What if you feed 'em pies?

I'm in Jail

Last Online
    29-04-2023 @ 08:08 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by harrybarracuda View Post
    I remember staying in this chalet in Langkawi, and woke up to see this monkey on the verandah. It pointed at the fruit basket on the table and then stuck its hand out.

Clever little fuckers they are, probably more clever than the BiB.
    definately smarter than the bib, I had a rhesus monkey in vientiene. It wasn't my idea to get one but my wife is impulsie and saw a guy beside the road selling him for 500 baht. Me and that monkey immediately bonded and I used to take him with me bar hopping, he like beer as well. But his (and mine) antics eventually got us banned from a few bars in town, built a massive cage spanning the length of my driveway but the fucker was still able to escape, never saw I'm again, probably ended up as monkey stew. I sure do miss that fooker but it was a fuckin daft idea to have one as a pet in the first place, they are wild animals no matter how cute they are, shoudbe left in their wild, my bad.

RIP
    Last Online
    @
    Top story.
    Reminds me of the Clint Eastwood film-
    Every which way but lose.

Thailand Expat

Last Online
    "Right turn, Clyde"...or somesuch...Heh...

Elite Mumbler
    Last Online
    @
    This is long overdue. I nearly ran into one as it crossed the road to get a banana from a dumb tourist. The tourist bought the banana from a shop openly selling them to feed the monkeys. Perhaps the BIB should fine the shops too.

Thread Information