I am in Jail
    Last Online
    23-08-2021 @ 06:47 PM

Portugal; renewable energy leader!

https://www.theguardian.com/environm...e-energy-alone

Portugal is emerging as a world leader of renewable energy.

Portugal kept its lights on with renewable energy alone for four consecutive days last week in a clean energy milestone revealed by data analysis of national energy network figures.

Electricity consumption in the country was fully covered by solar, wind and hydro power in an extraordinary 107-hour run that lasted from 6.45am on Saturday 7 May until 5.45pm the following Wednesday, says the analysis by the Sustainable Terrestrial System Association and the Portuguese Association of Renewable Energies (Apren).

News of the zero emissions landmark comes just days after Germany announced that clean energy had powered almost all its electricity needs on Sunday 15 May, with power prices turning negative at several times in the day – effectively paying consumers to use it.
    (As side note, many of the new wind farms popping up around the USA, are built by; you guessed it, a Portuguese company)

The sad US of A is lagging way behind..

god
    Last Online
    @
    Christmas Day 2016 sets new UK record for renewable energy use
    Green energy such as wind power made up 40% of electricity generated in Britain, compared with 25% on 25 December 2015

Christmas Day was the greenest on record for energy generation, according to the power group Drax.

The company said more than 40% of the electricity generated on the day came from renewable sources, the highest ever. It compared with 25% on Christmas Day in 2015, and 12% in 2012.

Andy Koss, chief executive of Drax Power, said: “These Christmas figures show that the UK energy system really is changing. Renewables are increasingly vital to the UK’s energy mix as we decarbonise and move away from coal.”

Figures produced by Electric Insights and commissioned by Drax showed that three-quarters of renewable energy produced on Christmas Day came from wind turbines.

https://www.theguardian.com/environm...en-electricity
    “Is it not written in your Law, ‘I said, you are gods’? John 10:34.

Last Online
    27-03-2024 @ 05:25 AM
    While this vid looks a bit futuristic it has become reality.

I am in Jail
    Last Online
    23-08-2021 @ 06:47 PM

Cool

^ first I heard of that, impressive, the oil companies aren't going like it much.

god
    Last Online
    @
    Neither will the nuclear energy mob.

Last Online
    @
    Quote Originally Posted by ENT View Post
    Christmas Day 2016 sets new UK record for renewable energy use
    Green energy such as wind power made up 40% of electricity generated in Britain, ]
    If they can do that in the middle of winter, they should be able to do a lot better in summer when demand is much less.

Last Online
    @
    Quote Originally Posted by HermantheGerman View Post
    While this vid looks a bit futuristic it has become reality.

^^ The theory behind that is awesome!

I hope that it can become an economic reality.

In Australia and BIG in the US is Solar Leasing where the solar company 'lease your rooftop' for a solar system and then sell the electricity back to you at market rates and, after a predetermined period, the solar system is made available to you for $1.

More here ... Free solar panels: Are they really free? | EnergySage

Someone is sitting in the shade today because someone planted a tree a long time ago ...

Last Online
    27-03-2024 @ 05:25 AM
    [quote=David48atTD;3431221]
    Quote Originally Posted by HermantheGerman View Post
    The theory behind that is awesome!
    How does that strike ya ?

https://www.theguardian.com/environm...erche-normandy

World's first solar panel road opens in Normandy village

Thursday 22 December 2016 14.08 GMT Kim Willsher in Paris

Route in Tourouvre-au-Perche cost €5m to construct and will be used by about 2,000 motorists a day during two-year test period and will be used by about 2,000 motorists a day during two-year test period
    France has opened what it claims to be the world’s first solar panel road, in a Normandy village.
    A 1km (0.6-mile) route in the small village of Tourouvre-au-Perche covered with 2,800 sq m of electricity-generating panels, was inaugurated on Thursday by the ecology minister, Ségolène Royal.
    It cost €5m (£4.2m) to construct and will be used by about 2,000 motorists a day during a two-year test period to establish if it can generate enough energy to power street lighting in the village of 3,400 residents.
    In 2014, a solar-powered cycle path opened in Krommenie in the Netherlands and, despite teething problems, has generated 3,000kWh of energy – enough to
    power an average family home for a year. The cost of building the cycle path, however, could have paid for 520,000kWh.
    Before the solar-powered road – called Wattway – was opened on the RD5 road, the panels were tested at four car parks across France. The constructor was Colas, part of giant telecoms group Bouygues, and financed by the state.
    Normandy is not known for its surfeit of sunshine: Caen, the region’s political capital, enjoys just 44 days of strong sunshine a year compared with 170 in Marseilles.
    Royal has said she would like to see solar panels installed on one in every 1,000km of French highway – France has a total of 1m km of roads – but panels laid on flat surfaces have been found to be less efficient than those installed on sloping areas such as roofs.
    Critics say it is not a cost-effective use of public money. Marc Jedliczka, vice-president of Network for Energetic Transition (CLER) told Le Monde: “It’s without doubt a technical advance, but in order to develop renewables there are other priorities than a gadget of which we are more certain that it’s very expensive than the fact it works.”
    Jean-Louis Bal, president of renewable energy union SER, said: “We have to look at the cost, the production [of electricity] and its lifespan. For now I don’t have the answers.”
    Colas said the panels have been covered with a resin containing fine sheets of silicon, making them tough enough to withstand all traffic, including HGVs. The company says it hopes to reduce the costs of producing the solar panels and has about 100 other projects for solar-panelled roads – half in France and half abroad.

Those fucking Chinks will surely steal the technology again and sell it. Time for them to get Trumped
    Last edited by HermantheGerman; 01-01-2017 at 06:39 PM.

god
    Last Online
    @
    Brilliant.

Map of solar farms in UK.
    http://www.renewables-map.co.uk/Solar.asp

Last Online
    18-07-2020 @ 11:25 PM
    The whole solar thing is likely to really grow this year... an outcome of nanotech R&D.

Last Online
    @
    All that stuff is high tec, great concept.

At a basal consumer lever, when someone can design an intergrated 1 or 2 panel solar hot water AND 3 - 5 kw solar cell/s for an affordable price ... that will be a game changer for the consumer.

I like the idea in the OP ... but I'd love an integrated solar cell/solar hot water unit at an affordable price.

On my house in the West I have a basic 1.5 kw solar system and, with carefull use and time spent in Thailand, while the system just generates power and sells into the grid ... I have no electricity bills.

My income from the generation is more then the cost of the electricity bought.

Thread Information