View Single Post
Old 26-12-2016, 10:58 PM   #20 (permalink)
Barty

Barty Thailand ExpatBarty Thailand ExpatBarty Thailand Expat
Barty Thailand ExpatBarty Thailand ExpatBarty Thailand ExpatBarty Thailand ExpatBarty Thailand ExpatBarty Thailand ExpatBarty Thailand ExpatBarty Thailand ExpatBarty Thailand ExpatBarty Thailand ExpatBarty Thailand ExpatBarty Thailand ExpatBarty Thailand ExpatBarty Thailand ExpatBarty Thailand ExpatBarty Thailand ExpatBarty Thailand ExpatBarty Thailand ExpatBarty Thailand Expat
In another thread started a few weeks ago, I replied to nidhogg in a rather smartarse way (Know any "farangs" with Thai Citizenship?) about my Thai speaking abilities. How good is my Thai? Not very good.

When I came to Thailand in 1992 I did a handful of basic Thai lessons and started to learn to read and write Thai. Didn’t enjoy travelling into Bangkok and didn’t like being a student so gave it up.

I can write my own name and some other very basic stuff. I can read road signs, maps, construction drawings and most advertisements but I cannot read a newspaper. I could probably struggle through a 6 six year olds school book. I had a company that was around 100 permanent employees. I could walk up to anyone of them at the jobsite and talk to them about what was going on that day. I could talk to my supervisors on the phone about anything that involved the work that we did, but I cannot watch the news on TV (by the time I figured out what they are talking about they are onto another subject and I miss half of what was said). When policemen ask me why I am married but don’t have children my brain locks up.

Last edited by Barty : 26-12-2016 at 11:16 PM. Reason: The eighth beer is taking effect and I can't spell.
Barty is online now   Reply With Quote

Page generated in 0.08316 seconds with 19 queries