View Single Post
Old 26-12-2016, 02:59 PM   #115 (permalink)
jonnyenglish

jonnyenglish is a glorious beacon of light in Thailandjonnyenglish is a glorious beacon of light in Thailandjonnyenglish is a glorious beacon of light in Thailandjonnyenglish is a glorious beacon of light in Thailandjonnyenglish is a glorious beacon of light in Thailandjonnyenglish is a glorious beacon of light in Thailandjonnyenglish is a glorious beacon of light in Thailandjonnyenglish is a glorious beacon of light in Thailandjonnyenglish is a glorious beacon of light in Thailandjonnyenglish is a glorious beacon of light in Thailandjonnyenglish is a glorious beacon of light in Thailandjonnyenglish is a glorious beacon of light in Thailandjonnyenglish is a glorious beacon of light in Thailandjonnyenglish is a glorious beacon of light in Thailand
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgnu View Post
Great thread Jonny. I am at the final stages of planning a very similar venture in a rice field outside Chiang Mai - everything slightly larger, but same same.

Did you consider earthquake 'proofing'? Chiang Mai is a 'moderate' earthquake risk area. There was a 6.8 quake in Burma that rattled the north in March 2011 and there have been many more big ones over the past 100 years. Current building regulations, if followed properly, should safeguard your house but only up to a 4.5. I'm currently discussing this with the builder and looking at ways to safeguard to 6.5. Glad to hear any tips.

Cheers Gnu old bean, I was actually down on the land a few weeks back with a friend who has built a few places himself now and knows about building practices.. he was surprised to see that the rebar my builder used was oversized, more robust, plus there was a lot more of it than a standard build, he also noted that the footings, plus the bonding and floor beams were also oversized.

I asked Noarng the builder and he said he is 'earthquake-proofing' the house. I initially only wanted a light build with lightweight steel roof structure and roof tiles, but Noarng seems to be over-engineering everything to beef it all up, including the roof.

Roof steel has been ordered and is next in, so I'll have to see I guess, but I am confident as the construction team know what they are doing, refer to plans, and work with minimal communication or down-time. Jolly good show!
jonnyenglish is offline   Reply With Quote

Page generated in 0.07095 seconds with 19 queries