View Single Post
Old 26-12-2016, 01:38 PM   #114 (permalink)
jonnyenglish

jonnyenglish is a name known to all Thailand Expatsjonnyenglish is a name known to all Thailand Expatsjonnyenglish is a name known to all Thailand Expatsjonnyenglish is a name known to all Thailand Expatsjonnyenglish is a name known to all Thailand Expatsjonnyenglish is a name known to all Thailand Expatsjonnyenglish is a name known to all Thailand Expatsjonnyenglish is a name known to all Thailand Expatsjonnyenglish is a name known to all Thailand Expatsjonnyenglish is a name known to all Thailand Expatsjonnyenglish is a name known to all Thailand Expatsjonnyenglish is a name known to all Thailand Expatsjonnyenglish is a name known to all Thailand Expatsjonnyenglish is a name known to all Thailand Expats
[/quote]
The view is great, and the layout sensible, but I personally like the idea of a Japanese-style genkan or some kind of porch or "airlock" between the main reception area and the outside (and maybe some partition between the cooking area and the lounging area to keep food smells contained.[/quote]

Hi Nemo, I understand the concept of separating the kitchen area, and had considered the options, but I just couldn't see how sliding internal partitioning screens/doors would work when the rooms go up to roof height with angled roof line and exposed beams without blocking off each area and ruining the flow. There will be cross venting at the roof peaks in both directions, this will pull out hot air and hopefully any cooking smells too. I'll also put in a decent extractor hood and fan with large enough vent on outside wall for cooking, plus will have an outside garden cooking station for Isaan/Thai fragrant moments.

As to screens, I'm not sure... have had them in many places and insects either get trapped inside the house, or the mosquitoes wait until the screen is opened to enter the house and then they are trapped in there too.. Screens also cut down airflow greatly and require constant cleaning. I'll live in the place for a while and then see what the best solution is.

Regarding transplanting trees, it is surprisingly easy, the root-balls are not that big, but for quick growing trees I'd stick to putting in juvenile plants and wait a few years... I only put in larger trees and a few of these didn't like being moved. Considerations are also numerous when considering planting positions of trees (proximity to house): leaf and fruit fall, insects, brittleness of branches, size, spread, roots growth, etc. Palms are easy, they are hardy and don't mind being dug up/moved, insects don't eat them, they don't make too much mess and create an instant garden.. I'll be putting many more of these in after the build is done.

Last edited by jonnyenglish : 26-12-2016 at 01:48 PM.
jonnyenglish is offline   Reply With Quote

Page generated in 0.07543 seconds with 19 queries