Page 18 of 23 FirstFirst ... 81011121314151617181920212223 LastLast

Thread: Rodrigo Duterte

Last Online
    28-10-2016 @ 01:50 AM
    sorry for not reading the whole thread before i stuck my 2 cents in

What bothers me the most for me, is when he tells of being denied a visa to the united states so he could go have sex with his girl friend

Then he says foolish americans can come here with out a visa and says thats going to change

The underlying thing is why can amercians come here have sex with our women when i couldnt go have sex with my girl friend

I think i wouldnt take much to screw up the easy visa there, wouldnt make sense to us because of all the tourist dollars he would loose but the guy seldom thinks of tomorrow hes just a normal hot blooded filipino

Last Online
    Today @ 02:34 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by wasabi
    The Chinese are successfully doing exactly this in Africa, replacing the decaying infrastructure that the Europeans put in, but the new owners failed to maintain through corruption.
    The new railway in Ethiopia just completed has taken up the offer of a 6 year Chinese management package. This will allow the locals now employed as the "workers" to learn how to maintain and run the railway. Possibly different to the western "aid packages" of importing the whole shebang, designing to non African requirements, constructing with imported materials, plant and labour and walking away after receiving all payments due for the "extras".

Ethiopia-Djibouti Railway signals new era of Chinese aid in infrastructure construction - Global Times

"The railway, 670 kilometers of which are in Ethiopia, has created about 48,000 local jobs during the construction process and is expected to provide thousands of permanent posts once the line begins commercial operations at end of this year.

But Xu said the challenges are still great. "We are not only building railways for them, but also building a talent pool for these countries, so as to keep the line's operation sustainable," Xu said

However, there are also some negative voices. Some media reported that China was "dumping its outdated technology and unwanted products" onto African countries.

Getachew believes such accusations are ignorant, pointing out that Chinese enterprises contracted the project exactly within Ethiopian law. "Actually, it's us who are making the choices, not China. We chose their technology based on our transportation plans," he said.

"We have made lots of feasibility studies. The project quality is evaluated by the Chinese side, the Ethiopian side and an independent third party, everything is transparent."

Low cost and high speed are the advantages of Chinese standards. According to consulting firms, completing the project within four years for just $4 billion was originally thought to be nearly impossible.

The construction was harsh due to the country's tropical climate and desert landscape. To have the railway endure Ethiopia's droughts and floods, to minimize damage to national parks and the migration routes of wild animals, special overpasses and tunnels were built.

The railway has won the Chinese people greater trust in the region. Some local project managers even asked Chinese engineers to check the blueprints of their own homes.

Chinese diligence has also impressed many local workers. An Ethiopian who drove for the railway project said "Chinese are always working, they can have future."

"Chinese teach us skills. I must learn it well, they are important for us and for the country," said an Ethiopian apprentice who worked under the guidance of a Chinese engineer."

They are of course introducing Chinese methods and work practises which may differ from the old colonial ways.
    A tray full of GOLD is not worth a moment in time.

Last Online
    Today @ 02:23 PM
    Philippines Duterte: God told me to stop swearing
    28 October 2016

Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte says he has promised God he will clean up his famously vulgar language.

Arriving in his home city of Davao after a trip to Japan, Mr Duterte said God gave him an ultimatum on the plane.

"I heard a voice telling me to stop swearing or the plane will crash in mid-air, and so I promised to stop," he told reporters at the airport.

Mr Duterte's blunt speaking, often directed at the West, has contributed to his popularity at home.
    He called President Barack Obama a "son of a whore", called the European Union "hypocritical", threatened to leave the UN and accepted comparisons to Hitler, saying he would gladly kill three million drug addicts.

All were responses to criticisms of his bloody war on drugs, that has seen thousands of alleged drug dealers and users killed by police and vigilante groups.

Mr Duterte said he had promised God he would not "express slang, cuss words and everything", and said a "promise to God is a promise to the Filipino people".

But he suggested his promise might have its limits. Whether he will stick to not swearing when talking about the US, EU or arch political foe Senator Leila de Lima, will depend on timing, local media quoted him as saying.

Like most Filipinos, Mr Duterte is Roman Catholic, although he has boasted about his womanising and called the Pope a "son of a whore" for causing traffic jams during his visit.

The president has spoken about being abused by an American priest as a child, saying that informed his political views.

He recently said that the Philippines wanted "a separation" from long-standing ally the US, and wanted American troops to leave the country, possibly within two years.

Philippines Duterte: God told me to stop swearing - BBC News

"I heard a voice telling me to stop swearing or the plane will crash in mid-air, and so I promised to stop,"

Philippine Expat
    Last Online
    @
    ^It was only a matter of time, I suppose, before he revealed his direct communication channel to god.

Last Online
    @
    They all seem to have one.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:02 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Norton
    "I heard a voice telling me to stop swearing or the plane will crash in mid-air, and so I promised to stop,"
    The irony is strong in this one. And surely deliberate.

Thailand Expat

Last Online
    25-03-2021 @ 08:47 AM
    So he'll die in a flaming wreck...Next...

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    28-10-2019 @ 03:54 AM
    Tony Blair is also close to God, God has his ear.

Last Online
    23-01-2017 @ 09:32 PM

Every despot needs a scapegoat

I did not read through all replies. The Philippines needs America a whole lot more than America needs them. This is really more about keeping shipping lanes open than anything else. America doesn't garner friends. It garners opportunities.

I am not military current or former. The US has TEN carrier groups, more than any other nation. They (the carrier) runs on nuclear power. It can stay at sea for twenty years, if necessary, although it would need to resupply periodically. Easily done at Guam, Thailand, Diego Garcia or Taiwan. Park on at Singapore and the other at Taiwan and let's see how this thing goes.

As for Duterte, the US can wait him out. His churlish behavior will be his undoing. At least Hugo Chavez had oil. Duterte has nothing.
    Last edited by sekmet; 31-10-2016 at 09:27 AM.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:02 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by sekmet
    As for Duterte, the US can wait him out. His churlish behavior will be his undoing. At least Hugo Chavez had oil. Duterte has nothing.
    You see where the oil got Chavez and cohorts. The Philippines have their expats, they are a lot more reliable as support function. The single largest thread for the Philippines remains the catholic church that still talks in favor of fast population growth.

Philippine Expat
    Last Online
    @
    Duterte took a hit today. Highly regarded elder statesman and former President Ramos, who supported Duterte's run and was appointed as Duterte's Special Envoy on China, resigned from his position today. He released a fairly damning statement that Duterte had failed in his first 100 days, and done tremendous damage to the country with his murder campaign against drugs and his foul mouth, and insulting ways.

R.I.P.
    Last Online
    15-11-2020 @ 07:58 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Davis Knowlton View Post
    Duterte took a hit today. Highly regarded elder statesman and former President Ramos, who supported Duterte's run and was appointed as Duterte's Special Envoy on China, resigned from his position today. He released a fairly damning statement that Duterte had failed in his first 100 days, and done tremendous damage to the country with his murder campaign against drugs and his foul mouth, and insulting ways.
    Good. So it starts.........

I'm in Jail

Last Online
    08-02-2023 @ 01:23 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by sekmet View Post
    I did not read through all replies. The Philippines needs America a whole lot more than America needs them. This is really more about keeping shipping lanes open than anything else. America doesn't garner friends. It garners opportunities.

I am not military current or former. The US has TEN carrier groups, more than any other nation. They (the carrier) runs on nuclear power. It can stay at sea for twenty years, if necessary, although it would need to resupply periodically. Easily done at Guam, Thailand, Diego Garcia or Taiwan. Park on at Singapore and the other at Taiwan and let's see how this thing goes.

Perhaps with an attitude like yours possibly that's why the flippers may go the Chinese route.

They may want something though they give infrastructure projects.

Last Online
    23-01-2017 @ 09:32 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Chico View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sekmet View Post

Perhaps with an attitude like yours possibly that's why the flippers may go the Chinese route.

They may want something though they give infrastructure projects.
    Everybody wants something

Last Online
    @
    Duterte eyes martial law in Mindanao

Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte said he might resort to martial law as a “contingency” against widespread violence, especially in Mindanao, The Manila Times Online reported on Thursday.

“I am not a fan of martial law. But if ever, martial law is a contingency to meet widespread violence,” he told reporters at Malacanang Tuesday night.

Earlier last Friday, Duterte announced that he might suspend the privilege of the writ of habeas corpus “if lawlessness becomes widespread”, particularly the Muslim rebellion in Mindanao and the supposedly worsening drug problem in the country.

His pronouncement has alarm many lawmakers who said there was no basis for authorities to upend legal processes. The writ requires the state to produce the body of a person in custody. Suspending it will essentially allow warrantless arrests.

The president declared a state of emergency on ground of lawless violence in Mindanao in September following a deadly night market explosion in his hometown of Davao City.

Duterte eyes martial law in Mindanao |

Last Online
    @
    Duterte: Philippines May Follow Russia Out of ICC

After Russia’s decision to leave the International Criminal Court, a Philippines withdrawal might follow.

President Rodrigo Duterte threatened to leave the ICC a day after Russia's President Vladimir Putin signed a decree removing his country from the first legal body with permanent international jurisdiction to prosecute genocide, crimes against humanity, and war crimes.

Duterte spoke Thursday from his home town of Davao city in the southern Philippines before living for a summit in Peru.

“They (Russians) may have thought the International Criminal Court is [useless], so they withdrew their membership.... I might follow. Why? Because these shameless bullies only picked on small countries like us,” Duterte said.

But Duterte’s critics say he is afraid he could be charged over the thousands of people killed in his war on drugs.

more Duterte: Philippines May Follow Russia Out of ICC

Last Online
    08-04-2024 @ 10:08 AM
    For once Duterte may be right! the International Criminal Court is just about useless!
    Countries that are not members include the United States, China, India, Iraq, Libya, Yemen, Qatar and Israel, they haven't managed to prosecute the UK for their crimes either!

I am in Jail
    Last Online
    12-03-2019 @ 09:53 AM
    Ah yes, because they haven't managed to prosecute some, they are useless.

Last Online
    Quote Originally Posted by stroller
    Ah yes, because they haven't managed to prosecute some, they are useless.
    No, because the prosecutions are targeted as opposed to universal.

Last Online
    Russia, Philippines to hold talks on defense cooperation agreement – Russian cabinet decree

"Russia and the Philippines will hold talks on signing a defense cooperation agreement, according to a government decree, signed by Prime Minister Dmitry Medvedev. The decree was published on the government’s website.
    “To accept the proposal of the Russian Ministry of Defense, together with the Russian Ministry of Foreign Affairs, to negotiate an agreement between the Russian Ministry of Defense and the Department of National Defense of the Philippines on defense co-operation,” the document read.
    On November 20, Philippines President Rodrigo Duterte announced he will be sending his foreign and defense ministers to Russia ahead of his own visit, at the personal invitation of President Vladimir Putin."

An official anouncement, good or just to piss of Ameristan?

Last Online
    @
    Philippine President Admits to 'Personally' Killing Drug Dealers

Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte says he personally killed suspected drug traffickers during his two-decade tenure as mayor of the southern city of Davao.

Duterte made the admission Monday during a speech before a group of businessmen, boasting that he would ride around Davao on his motorcycle and "just patrol the streets... looking for a confrontation so I could kill."

The president said he would kill drug suspects just to show police "that if I can do it, why can't you?"

Duterte's shocking admission came amid defense of his all-out crackdown on suspected drug dealers since taking office in June. Nearly 6,000 people have been killed by police and vigilante squads during that time, drawing criticism from human rights groups, the United Nations and U.S. President Barack Obama.

Duterte vowed to ignore the criticism and continue with the crackdown, and even dared his opponents to remove him from office.

"You arrest me, oust me? Go ahead. So, God said that you are mayor but you have given a mission to do something but it's only up to them. So, fine. Oust me, good. Assassinate me, better. I have this migraine everyday," Duterte said.

Philippine President Admits to 'Personally' Killing Drug Dealers

Philippine Expat
    Last Online
    @
    He's very unpredictable, but in the last few fays there's more and more from him about his health problems, his age, his surprise at how taxing the job is turning out to be, how he might not finish his term.......

Setting the stage for an early departure on medical grounds?

I thought his recent admission that he ducked two meetings with Obama, falsely claiming illness, because he was scared Obama might publicly shun him, was quite bizarre.

Last Online
    @
    ^ In the photograph which accompanied the above story, I thought Duterte looked ill.

Last Online
    @
    Older photo

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    ^There are rumours that he's terminally ill. Said to be one of the reasons why he's being an SOB (pardon my French) and on a killing spree, since he won't be able to finish his term anyway. Just rumours, mind you...

Page 18 of 23 FirstFirst ... 81011121314151617181920212223 LastLast

Thread Information